HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Are You Kidding Me??
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Are You Kidding Me??
Date: April 29, 2011 08:35AM

No Henne is Gone. But if they say he blows and they made a mistake , they can't shop him for a late pick.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 29, 2011 08:35AM

He will never be a Guard for us, he will never ever play that position.

Go ahead and pencil him in as our starting Center, and leave it like that for the next 10 years.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 29, 2011 08:51AM

I agree. I hope we get TJ Yates.

---------------------

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:14AM

We needed to draft a QB at #15 this year...period. We needed to do this BECAUSE we don't have a 2nd roundd pick. Pouncey is a good player and he will help the O-Line but we had bigger fish to fry this year. While its correct that any QB we drafted would not have played this season (best case scenario). One should have been drafted to push Henne and to learn to take the job next season if he can. Either we get better play with Henne or we get an improving rookie next year.

The coaches are stupid for drafting for today only, and not setting the team up better for the future. Whether they are the coaches beyond this year or not shouldn't matter...what's best for the team should.

This team needs better skill players and players with speed above all else...a OL player, no matter how good he may be is neither.

Again, Pouncey was a good pick...just not the one we should have made given our situation.

Now we have only TWO options at WR in this draft (Torrey Smith and Jerrel Jernigan) because everyone else is too slow...

And the options at QB (I think two or three of the top four guys remaining will be gone in the 2nd round) will be a lot smaller by the time we pick again...because I don't see a trade allowing us to move up happening.

I'm just bummed that the team continued its ultra conservative BS that won't allow us to complete with the better more explosive and aggressive teams.

Date: April 29, 2011 09:31AM

We got a better play at #15, then we would have been able to get if it was a QB.

Andy Dalton and Ryan Mallett are not as good as Pouncey. End of story.

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:39AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think historically Gs get drafted higher
> than C. It is the unusal guy at either potion who
> goes as high as 15 (I can't think of one who ever
> went that high, Iupati went lower last year).

The Albert kid from Virginia 2 years ago was a college guard who went in the top ten, I believe he was projected to have tackle potential, but played his college career at mainly guard

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:45AM

You can't take a QB just for the sake of taking a QB. Watch Andy Dalton highlights on youtube. He doesn't have the arm. Almost every downfield throw is underthrown. Phil Simms said he sees him as a 3rd or 4th rounder, because of his lack of arm strength. You can't take a guy like that at #15. Kaepernick has not played in an NFL style offense, and is a guy that likes to take off and run rather than hang in the pocket. And he has a very long throwing motion, one that will need to be re-worked in the NFL, because "as is", DBs will have a huge advantage to jump routes on him. How many running QBs from a spread style offense who need their mechanics overhauled have succeeded in the NFL? That's not the kind of guy you take in the 1st or 2nd round. Mallett? The guy with enough character concerns that he's been compared to Ryan Leaf by many people? The one who admitted drug use during his combine interviews? The guy who Parcells and Gil Brandt both say is so immobile that they have concerns about how many sacks he will take and how durable he will be? He's not a guy you take at #15, either.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 09:50AM

albert was drafted to play LT, and he's only played there as a pro.
I really think Pouncy may be the highest draft C or G in years (maybe ever). The bad thing is I don't think he is as good/rated as good as those guys who went lower----Iupati, his brother, Mangold, etc. We always seem to buy high/sell low whenever we have the chance....

Date: April 29, 2011 09:54AM

Albert played LT after D'brickashaw Fergusen left.

Pouncey will be fine....at Center. He will anchor our line for the next 10 years.

---------------------

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:12AM

I read that article also, and it sounds about right to me.

Rick

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 29, 2011 10:18AM

berkeley223 Wrote: I really think Pouncy may be the highest draft C or G in years (maybe ever). The bad thing is I don't think he is as good/rated as good as those guys who went lower----Iupati, his brother, Mangold, etc. We always seem to buy high/sell low whenever we have the chance....

100% AGREE. We definitely reached big for Pouncy. Given his draft position he better be a dominant SOB right out of the box. And he better play C and not G. Taking a G at 15 = he better John Hanna and Pouncy isn’t close to that kind of dominance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2011 10:19AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: April 29, 2011 10:23AM

Date: April 29, 2011 10:26AM

I don't think we sell the farm to move into the 2nd. There's nobody-QB or RB-that would be worth it.

Rick

Date: April 29, 2011 10:27AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Albert played LT after D'brickashaw Fergusen
> left.
>
>
> Pouncey will be fine....at Center. He will anchor
> our line for the next 10 years.

Are you sure? I thought that Eugene Monroe kid played LT after D. Ferguson left. Albert played guard at least the majority of his final season if not all of it. He defintely ended his career at Guard. And was labeled a Guard for sure.

Date: April 29, 2011 10:28AM

from wiki

2008 NFL Draft

Albert was the first guard taken in the draft, as well as the second Virginia Cavalier (behind No. 2 pick Chris Long). He was the highest selected guard since Chris Naeole went 10th overall to the New Orleans Saints in the 1997 NFL Draft.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 29, 2011 11:23AM

I remember when Albert came out. He may have been listed as a G but was drafted to play LT. No one thought he was drafted to play guard---and he didn't play G in the pros.
I posted another thread listing all the 1st round Gs and Cs since 1997.

Date: April 29, 2011 11:35AM

I agree, I was just stating that he didnt really play tackle after D Ferguson left. Eugene Monroe did. Albert played Guard for almost all of his starts in college. And yes he was drafted high because he was projected to play tackle in the pros. Although there is speculation that he is more of RT then a LT, and is currently playing out of position at LT.

Date: April 29, 2011 12:18PM

Crowder, you are right. My bad.

---------------------

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.