Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:59PM

Are you Mia1 alter ego?

Treasure, incase you didnt know....he has had about 386 of them.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Date: April 13, 2011 04:11PM

Just trying to keep the peace bro. Do a IP address check, I garantee it comes back to Zip 34986, TREASURE COAST of florida.

I'm here because I broke my ass all day and while the family is watching American Idol in the background I'm trying to relax and talk some shop about one of my greatest passions, The Miami Dolphins.

I'm new here, but I do know I like Mai1 passion and ethusaism for the game.I think this place would be less without him. Lets save the insults for Jets fans , Rex Ryan, & Nick Saban.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 04:51PM

Date: April 13, 2011 04:57PM

Ask Dan Marino about the importance of Richmound Webb. He was not exactly the most mobile QB and he gave dan the edge he needed to do his thing the second half of his career. .

Date: April 13, 2011 06:12PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 06:21PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Phinsfan,
> >
> > Would you trade Jake Long for Ryan Mallett
> > straight up? winking smiley
>
>
> Yes, I would.
>
>
> For two reasons:
>
> 1) Its easier to find an adequate LT that I can
> win with then it is to find a QB.
>
> 2) I'm assuming that Ryan will continue to get
> better.

phinfan I am hoping you just misread that as "matt ryan" and not "ryan mallet"

Date: April 13, 2011 06:30PM

Date: April 14, 2011 02:51AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> -----
> > Ask Dan Marino about the importance of
> Richmound
> > Webb. He was not exactly the most mobile QB and
> he
> > gave dan the edge he needed to do his thing the
> > second half of his career. .
>
>
> I'm sure Dan would sing Webb's praises but that
> doesn't change the fact that its easier to find a
> LT you can win with than it is a QB.
>
> Look at the last 10 Super Bowl Winners and where
> their QB's and LT's were drafted:
>
> Packers: Chad Clifton, LT 44th (2)......Arron
> Rodgers, QB 24th (1)
> Saints: Jermon Bushrod, LT 125th (4)...Drew
> Brees, QB 32nd (2)
> Steelers: Max Starks, LT 75th (3)......Big Ben,
> QB 11 (1)
> Giants: David Diehl, LT 160th (5)....Eli Manning,
> QB 1 (1)
> Colts: Tarik Glenn, LT 15th (1)......Peyton
> Manning, QB 1 (1)
> Steelers: Marvel Smith, LT 38th (2)...Big Ben, QB
> 11th (1)
> TB: Roman Oben, LT 66th (3)......Brad Johnson,
> QB 227th (9)
> Pats (3times): Matt Light, LT......Tom Brady, QB
> 199th (6)
>
> Ten Super Bowls...
>
> ...All but one (Tampa) had a HOF or 1st round QB
> at the helm.
>
> ...Only one had a LT that was a 1st round pick and
> none are HOF caliber.

Some great points being made here. Good find, BUT......

Thats the best 10 QB's in the leaque. I don't see Ryan on that list.

And the very best QB is the league, Peyton Manning has a hell of a blocker.

A person like Jake Long will give a rookie an edge no doubt.

Date: April 14, 2011 05:03AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 14, 2011 06:42AM

Jake Long is the BEST LT in the league.

Really? Did you watch him play last year or are you basing your hype on his performance BEFORE the shoulder blew-out?

Let me tell you something – Jake Long will NEVER be the dominate run-blocker he was several years ago. NEVER again. His super heavy lifting days are done. The shoulder simply won’t take the abuse.

Jake is very solid player but he’s NO John Hannah, or Munoz or Larry Allen. He’s never going to be that dominate. If his college injury / surgery would have held up then maybe – but those days are OVER. And if you don’t get that already then you simply don’t understand how critical shoulder soundness is to an OL.

But more than that, here we are going into year 4 of Project Big and the OL is an incomplete project. We have NO QB. Not much at TE. No speed on the outside. Old free agent RB’s. And an OC whose claim to fame is pizza delivery. I mean…am I missing something here???

This team is STILL 2-3 drafts away – which is pretty much the same old shit over and over…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2011 06:45AM by BigNastyFish.

Date: April 14, 2011 07:06AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> -----
> > Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Phinsfan,
> > > >
> > > > Would you trade Jake Long for Ryan Mallett
> > > > straight up? winking smiley
> > >
> > >
> > > Yes, I would.
> > >
> > >
> > > For two reasons:
> > >
> > > 1) Its easier to find an adequate LT that I
> can
> > > win with then it is to find a QB.
> > >
> > > 2) I'm assuming that Ryan will continue to
> get
> > > better.
> >
> > phinfan I am hoping you just misread that as
> "matt
> > ryan" and not "ryan mallet"
>
> LOL...
>
> Nice catch...yeah...I meant Matt Ryan.
>
> Freudian slip ...grinning smiley

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I deserve a pat on the back for trickin you on that one!!! grinning smiley smileys with beer

---------------------

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 14, 2011 09:07AM

Trade Long for Matty-ball who has only proved that he cannot screw up a good team?

I think before you guys ascribe the success of the team he plays for now to him and him alone, you should see how he performs behind a shi_ty team like ours.

I think that would be a very shortsighted, jump the gun, emotional, react-to-the moment and very foolish move.

Date: April 14, 2011 09:10AM

He is a Pro-Bowl QB, Chyren.

Just because you play on a good team doesnt mean you will be a Pro-bowler.

He is a legitimate Pro-bowl QB.

---------------------

Date: April 14, 2011 11:11AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> Trade Long for Matty-ball who has only proved that
> he cannot screw up a good team?
>
> I think before you guys ascribe the success of the
> team he plays for now to him and him alone, you
> should see how he performs behind a shi_ty team
> like ours.
>
> I think that would be a very shortsighted, jump
> the gun, emotional, react-to-the moment and very
> foolish move.

God I hate it when you make a good point! I agree 100% .

Date: April 14, 2011 04:29PM

smileys with beer.

Date: April 14, 2011 04:47PM

Atlanta and Miami sucked equally when long and ryan were drafted. in fact, most thought we were in better shape with parcells, while atl got dumped by bobby patrino. so I'd say if ATL is now a "good" team this is more due to Ryan making them that way than vice versa

Date: April 14, 2011 05:15PM

Good point, berk, but could you say so in EVERY respect. Including our bat-sh_t offensive coordinator, etc?

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 14, 2011 06:04PM

Date: April 14, 2011 06:07PM

i mean we are the same crappy team we were in 2008 when we went 11-5. the only difference? chad pennington. the QB makes the team not the other way around!!

Date: April 15, 2011 03:14AM

Thank you.

That was my point from the beginning. We all know Jake Long is a future Hall of Famer.

But a QB is what wins you Superbowls. Not a Left Tackle.

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:21AM

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:27AM

I'd like to see how Henne would do with Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner, Ovie Mughelli, Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock, and Todd McClure in his supporting cast. That is 7 offensive positions where the Falcons have clearly superior talent to what we have. And at RT, Tyson Clabo and Vernon Carey are probably a push, with Clabo being clearly better in 2010. And at the other WR, I'll give Hartline and Jenkins a push. The only spots where Miami is clearly better would be LT and at slot WR.

Matt Ryan also had the luxury of being coached by Bill Musgrave, who is considered a QB guru. Chad Henne had David Lee, who was brought to Miami because of his Wildcat experience.

Date: April 15, 2011 03:39AM

Quote:

"I'd like to see how Henne would do with Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner, Ovie Mughelli, Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock, and Todd McClure in his supporting cast."

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
He would still throw bone-headed INT's.

---------------------

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 15, 2011 03:50AM

I think the point that Atlanta improved their offensive line better then we did, although they didnt use, a 1st rd pick on Long, was a good argument. As I said and the point of posting the article was , that it is more about the entire strategy to fill needs then it is about one pick or another. The fact we are currently in deep question about the QB, hurts the strategy Parcells took. Lets see what happens. This game is about Championships, and if Atlanta gets one before us they were right, if we get one before them, our strategy was right. SInce neither side has a ring, I think we are judging the winner mid race, and that is not always accurate.

Date: April 15, 2011 05:02AM

Again,

What is more important to a franchise, a Pro-Bowl QB or a Pro-Bowl LT?

---------------------

Date: April 15, 2011 08:39AM

Ultimately, this is a silly question. Had the choice been drafting Matty Ryan or Chad Henne, then the question might be relevant.

Had the question even been drafting Jake Long or Chad Henne then the question might be somewhat more relevant.

Lastly, as a third alternative, it is even more relevant for us to criticize taking an absolute bust like we did when we drafted Jamar Fletcher late in the first round of the draft in 2001 after which the San Diego Chargers PROMPTLY SELECTED DREW BREES with the first pick in the second round. To show further how stupid we were, we then selected Chris Chambers in the third round (obviously we should have picked Chambers over Fletcher earlier) and we went for QuarterBack Josh Huepel in the late rounds.

Instead, we are talking about criticizing the choice of taking one quarterback a year earlier instead of a pro-bowl offensive lineman (one of the most important positions on a team) which thereby left us with having to choose THE NEXT YEAR a quarterback that some are criticizing. The whole thing is mixing apples and oranges.

Moreover, when pointing out our record under Chad Pennington in 2008 and boasting that we had an 11-5 record, and talking about Henne taking us downhill from there, one must consider whether in 2008-2009, we had a relatively good team for both Pennington and Henne and we began to deteriorate to the point of the team we had in 2010.

Finally, the question is should you take a pro-bowl QB or a pro-bowl lineman.

The answer is not as easy as you think. It depends on the supporting cast.

You could put Tom Brady on the old Tampa Bay Buccanneers Teams of the 1970's and what result do you think you'd get? a Superbowl? Hardly.

Given a team right on the verge of going to the playoffs, I'd take the pro-bowl QB.

Given a team with A HELL OF A LOT OF NEEDS, I would start the building with a pro-bowl lineman.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.