Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 06:17AM

there is no way the pat white pick was made by ireland. ireland was parcells' clear #2 at the time and he would not have strayed so far from the "master plan" of size/no gimmicks without bill calling the shots. not a chance. I think bill was getting too cute in his old age and wanted to go out known as the "king of the wildcat" and so rolled the dice on white---and came up snake eyes.
the white pick was horrible at the time and even worse today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 07:03AM

In hindsight the Ryan pick would have probably been a great pick for us, but I think the Jake Long pick was just as great of a pick, with who we had developing our QB's you cant even say that Matt Ryan would have been good here, likewise I think Henne would be much farther developed if he was drafted by the Falcons.

besides if we had Ryan but still no O-line, even if he would be good here he wouldn't be able to produce with so much dirt in his facemask.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 13, 2011 07:12AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any Player that plays half a season with 1 arm and
> still makes the Probowl is allright with me.

That is exactly how I feel about it. If Long couldn't crack the starting lineup, then this would be worth whining about.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 07:39AM

I see where aqua is coming from.

But im ok with long. If he would had been a bust then its a different story but the guy has been a probowler every year he has been here.

And Barrying injury the kid will make the pro bowl every single year he plays here. Has hall of fame material written all over his face.

Do you imagine he is what? 24 and still getting better. IMO this kid hasn't reached his potential yet and thats scary for the rest of the league.

With all that been said....The QB position is what is setting this team back. This is the reason why we are not making the playoffs and struggling every year.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 13, 2011 08:17AM

Guys, take a chill pill. I never said I am not ok with Jake Long. I love the guy, he is one of my favorite Dolphins. But the bottom line is, we made a mistake by picking him over Matt Ryan.

What is more important...A Pro-bowl QB or a Pro-Bowl LT?

The answer is too easy.

We have been playing the QB carousel for nearly a decade and a half now. I am sick of it.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 09:49AM

Whoa whoa whoa. Matt Ryan is playing on a STACKED TEAM IN A CRAPPY CONFERANCE!!! IN A DOME!!!! DOME DOME DOME DOME DOME DOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

OVERATTED!!!!!!!

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 10:12AM

OK, guys this, whole question more relates to Henne then RYan or Long. If Henne winds up long term being in the class with Ryan, then, we are talking a different story.
Will Henne be gone after this year, will he be beat out by a veteran or will he thrive under a new system. WHo knows, IMO, it is not a black and white answer until the final call has been made on Henne, so far after last year it is defintely leaning in the direction you all claim, but that fat lady hasnt sung on Henne just quite yet IMO. They passed on RYan cause they had plans to pick up Henne or Flaco. If you only had one pick in the draft then you could draw the conclusion, of bad pic, but as it is leaning that way I will not. I am still hoping Henne just had a bad year in a system horrible for his style of play and is a slow developer. But yes I still want to hedge my bets by picking up another QB. And if we had Matt Ryan I wouldnt care about the QB positions. SO i understand both sides. But you cant bash a guy IMO for picking up a probowl LT. Bash him for missing on Henne fine

Date: April 13, 2011 11:00AM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, guys this, whole question more relates to
> Henne then RYan or Long. If Henne winds up long
> term being in the class with Ryan, then, we are
> talking a different story.
> Will Henne be gone after this year, will he be
> beat out by a veteran or will he thrive under a
> new system. WHo knows, IMO, it is not a black and
> white answer until the final call has been made on
> Henne, so far after last year it is defintely
> leaning in the direction you all claim, but that
> fat lady hasnt sung on Henne just quite yet IMO.
> They passed on RYan cause they had plans to pick
> up Henne or Flaco. If you only had one pick in the
> draft then you could draw the conclusion, of bad
> pic, but as it is leaning that way I will not. I
> am still hoping Henne just had a bad year in a
> system horrible for his style of play and is a
> slow developer. But yes I still want to hedge my
> bets by picking up another QB. And if we had Matt
> Ryan I wouldnt care about the QB positions. SO i
> understand both sides. But you cant bash a guy IMO
> for picking up a probowl LT. Bash him for missing
> on Henne fine

Amen!

Date: April 13, 2011 11:10AM

Henne is one of the bottom 5 QB's in the league.

Matt Ryan made the Pro-bowl.

---------------------

Date: April 13, 2011 11:15AM

Jake Long is the BEST LT in the league.

Falcons LT is ?

Date: April 13, 2011 11:39AM

I agree A&O, at this point it isnt looking good, but say had Flacco slid to us at 32, wouldnt Jake pick be alot stronger? I am just saying it is a strategy of how you play the draft to fill what your team has holes at. In retrospect, it appears, solving the Qb situation first with Ryan and then going for the LT at 32 would have been more productive, but that is because the Merling at Henne pick didnt solve much at this point. THe Long pick looked pretty amazing that first year, when Pennington fell into our lap. SO as of now A&O you are a 100 percent right, but cant I hold on to a glimmer of hope on the matter, and keep the jury from making a final decision coming off a bad year with the offensive line other then Jake, and an offensive cordinator who was fired for failing to adapt to changing personel.

Date: April 13, 2011 11:42AM

I agree Mia, Jake Long is the best tackle in the game

Date: April 13, 2011 11:48AM

You guy's make me sick. You bitch and bitch about not having this or that, and that and this .
WE HAVE THE BEST LT IN THE LEAGUE!! not any other team can sy that

e happy with what we have, and look twards the future of hopes anddreams for what we need. Enough with this att Ryan jerk fest.You might start binging up Brees thenif everyone in h wana keep hinning about missed opertunities.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:04PM

come on MIa, no need to fly off the handle, people all have different opinions and are entitled to them just as you are. No big deal, dont take it so personal. People disagree, if we all agree this would be the most boring place in the world. Its great when we have smart people from all over the place who like the DOlphins talk football and different perspectives. But not when people fly off the handle act to emotional, and aggressive. I am guilty of the same at times. But it really is a waste, look at ways to reach out the olive branch with people you have problems with, be respectful, I think you will get alot more with honey then you will with sour. Be who you are, but try to build bridges rather then tear them all down.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:17PM

Jake Long is the best Tackle in the game. I never said he wasnt. He is a future Hall of Famer.

But, the most important position in football is the QUARTERBACK POSITION!

Mia1, you are an absolute idiot if you believe otherwise.

---------------------

Date: April 13, 2011 12:21PM

The original topic of this thread was Parcells admiting he made a mistake.

If you dont like this thread, Mia1....the leave and dont post here.

BTW, you only have about 2 more weeks of posting on here before you get kicked off for a wrong prediction.

---------------------

Date: April 13, 2011 12:44PM

Yeah that might be Aqua, but you will always be third world ugly. So I'll take the latter any day of the week!

I'm not flying off the handle, I just don't understand like Matt Ryan has done somthing significant enough to warrant Jake Long a mistake?

Ludacris, and your the ignorant person who believes that Long was a mistake.

Matt Ryan wouldnt have tooken this team any farther than Henne has.
To believe likewise is stupid in all acounts.

You don't need a franchise QB to win a SB.

Look at Sanchez he isnt a franchise, but his team is stacked. He brought them to two AFC championships, and I think Henne is better than that.

Matt Ryan might be further developed over Henne, but he was put in a system fitted to him, with all world talent in a dome.

Your the idiot that agree's with the mistake of Long over Ryan.

Thats my opinion on this subject.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:52PM

Also I don't care if I am gone from here anymore. Good luck bitching at Treasure Coast. It sure the ..ck is going to be 100 times more boring if I go, so the joke is on you and everyone else wishing me gone.

You don't deserve me here anyways. If I get kicked I'll gladly never return in favor of a crappier site that has less tightwads and cooler people chatting it up who care more about having a good time rather than grammer from another fan of their team.

Thats right I used to love this site, but I can barely stand it anymore. If you where the joker that was gone wow this site would be almost perfect. Oh well.... Tuff s.it huh.

Too bad that Phinsfan2 take's more to the like's of the stuck up ego strokers like you rather than real cool people like me.

You and your idiot friends ruined this site LONG ago, and will continue to bring it down with your attitude.

The sad part is the unfortunat cool people on here that are affected by you, regardless if your too stupid or blind to see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 12:56PM by Mia1.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: April 13, 2011 12:52PM

Wow, I can't figure you out Mia1. I thought you were down on Henne. I find myself agreeing with you on your assessment of what would have happened had Matty-ball come here.

I think in some respects he would have thrown a softer ball which could have been caught better by some of the receivers but that means that he would have been better in the prior two years. This past year, however, we had a crappier supporting cast and I think he would have done worst than Henne. He has neither the legs nor the strength to shake off pass rushers as had Henne.

The fact remains that Ryan will always do better than Henne with a better team but Henne will do better than Ryan with a worse team.

Date: April 13, 2011 12:58PM

Well I was down on Henne especially with Thigpen in the wings, however this coaching staff wont give my man any real shot.

That means Henne get's round 3 started. Ryan would have done just as bad as Henne here.

I'm hoping even though Henne throw's alot of balls to D-lineman, that Brian will bring in a offense tailored towards Henne's strength's, and that the last offense Henne was running helped him develop more and will really shine this year.

Date: April 13, 2011 01:01PM

I am in favor of letting Henne have this year, pick up a mid round QB, and shore up our o-line.

We have a oppertunity to grab Luck next year, if Henne sucks again.

I mean we would have the ability to trade down to number one and get Luck, especially if Hnne sucks the big one, and we end up 8-8 or worse.

I would much rather have Luck than any other QB this year anyways, so why waist a high pick, that we can use on our O-line that way Luck next year will have ALLLLLL day to shine!!

Date: April 13, 2011 01:09PM

Look we were close in alot of games, and lack a Qb delivering a big play alot at times, thats a huge difference on a team.

Yes Atlanta's offense team was in better shape then ours, they already had Roddy WHite. But I defintely believe that Ryan would have gotten us to the playoffs the last 2 years. But he might have been benched his year one for Pennington, and not had Roddie White, and Tony GOnzalez for his career also, so there are defintely some differences

Ryan was handled better, with coaches that were QB minded, it seems under Henning, the qb was just there to facilitate the dominance of a power offenssive line.

Ryan was a stud in college, and Henne never really stood out or seperated from the pack. The same I would say now, so nothing shows you that Henne is going to step up and be elite, he wasnt elite in college. At this point, Henne needs something, and i would much rather have Matt Ryan then Chad Henne.

And that was the mistake that Parcells made IMO. He didnt value the difference in RYan and Henne, or based on his OC and his plan on offense, he didnt care. He didt need a RYan, he needed a facilitator, but he defintely wanted a dominant offensive line. SInce last year we failed at both, it was a rough year all the way around for the DOlphins.

Lets see what happens this year, it is a big year for this team as a whole, regime, and a ton of players its either sink or swim. They have to inspire hope not dissappoint this season. Our defense should be really good with a second year under the system and lots of young players coming back from health and others further developing.

Date: April 13, 2011 01:29PM

Any football fan with half a brain realizes we screwed the pooch on the #1 pick.

Listen, again....I LOVE JAKE LONG. But, if Peyton Manning and Anthony Munoz are coming out....who do you take?

That is just too easy.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 02:31PM

Date: April 13, 2011 02:59PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:16PM

question, yes or no. would you trade jake long for matt ryan straight up? I think everyone would say "yes"

Date: April 13, 2011 03:18PM

They better say yes. That is a very easy answer.

I love Jake. But a franchise QB makes everybody better.

---------------------

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 13, 2011 03:22PM

Date: April 13, 2011 03:48PM

Phinsfan,

Would you trade Jake Long for Ryan Mallett straight up? winking smiley

---------------------

Date: April 13, 2011 03:55PM

My Man Mai1. Dude I love your enthusium and there is no doubt , If I pick one player to hang at a Phins game with its YOU hands down. Especially if the Jets are in town! But please take a chill pill......I don't want to see you gone from here. Draft is just around the corner bro, Lots of cool things to discuss in just a few weeks. I want to hear your spin on it OK? I started a new Chad Henne thread lets move it over there. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 03:56PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.