Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 12, 2011 12:52PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 01:38PM

Hindsight is 20/20. He didnt hit with Henne like he thought, and the Dolphins happen to be in QB controversy mode based on Henne's lack of consistency bad play at times last year.
Jake Long was the safe pick and we have the best LT in the game, nothing wrong with that. With risk versus reward at the time and the condition our team was in, a mistake with that pick would have set us back years. Sure Ryan had big upside, but Long was a lock at a crucial position of need and the safe pick. Hey at least we didnt draft Gholston....lol

Re: Bill Parcells admits to mistakes...Drafting Jake Long over Matt Ryan and drafting Pat White.
Date: April 12, 2011 02:06PM

Pat White was an obvious F Up. HUGE. Wasted opportunity.But at the time , he wasn't looking for a franchise QB, we were really into the wildcat and looking for a really athletic QB/runner.

And Long over Ryan? With the #1 pick in the draft , you can't waste that kind of money on a loser. Long turned out to be a great Lineman. Ryan was a gamble. You just never know how its gonna turn out.

My point is , I understand his thinking at the time behind those decisions. You just never know.

Unlike Cam Cameron picking a punt returner/wide reciever with #9 the year before. WTF!? No way to justify that pick/way of thinking even if the guy turned out to be good.

But I do give Parcells credit for owning up to it. Now he should Donate some of that money he took for not finishing what he started.

Posted by: eesti ()
Date: April 12, 2011 02:11PM

Sounds to me like he was intimating that the White pick was on Ireland...which would confirm the rumor if true.

.....................................................................................
“I'm here" You're welcome!" - Kenny Powers

Date: April 12, 2011 02:25PM

eesti Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds to me like he was intimating that the White
> pick was on Ireland...which would confirm the
> rumor if true.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
I actually got the opposite out of that.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 12, 2011 02:27PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Pat White was an obvious F Up. HUGE. Wasted
> opportunity.But at the time , he wasn't looking
> for a franchise QB, we were really into the
> wildcat and looking for a really athletic
> QB/runner.
>
> And Long over Ryan? With the #1 pick in the draft
> , you can't waste that kind of money on a loser.
> Long turned out to be a great Lineman. Ryan was a
> gamble. You just never know how its gonna turn
> out.
>
> My point is , I understand his thinking at the
> time behind those decisions. You just never know.
>
> Unlike Cam Cameron picking a punt returner/wide
> reciever with #9 the year before. WTF!? No way to
> justify that pick/way of thinking even if the guy
> turned out to be good.
>
>
> But I do give Parcells credit for owning up to it.
> Now he should Donate some of that money he took
> for not finishing what he started.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
Yeah, but if you have the chance to land a Franchise QB or a Franchise LT, and you have neither....you ALWAYS go QB.

Hands down, the risk is worth the reward if you land a franchise QB. With Matt Ryan here, we would have been in the AFC Champioship last year. With Jake Long, we were 7-9.

---------------------

Date: April 12, 2011 03:02PM

Yep but you also get jamarcus russel,and ALex Smiths with the first over all pick in recent years as well. Just because you pick a qb 1 guarantees nothing. Hindisght is easy, becasue a franchise QB is the most sought after position in football. Looking back sure, we should have drafted Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady the years we passed on them. Number 1 overall for a qb has probably been as much a curse as it is a blessing the last twenty year or so.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:16PM

No the first overall pick you take the safe bet LT PERIOD!

WAYYYYYYY to many number one overall QB bust.

Matt Ryan is solid, but come on he isnt that hot, he had a pretty stacked team to surround him, he also plays alot of ball in a dome, with ZERO wind and in the NFC south, wich untill the Bucs resurgance, only had the Saints, which again plays in a dome.

He is overated in my book, and I'm glad we got Long over Ryan.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:18PM

If you wana pout and put around like a loser wishing we had this, and that then go ahed start rockin in that chair.

Me Im through rocking in a stationary chair, time to s.it or get off that pot people.

We are moving forward, and I like majority of our team.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:31PM

You guys are crazy. The facts are facts, Atlanta is a Supebowel contender and we are pretenders.

Put that in your chair.

---------------------

Date: April 12, 2011 03:42PM

I dont think you can be a SUperbowl Contender, if you have never won a play off game. Matt Ryans won as many play off games as the DOlphins have since he entered the league.

I like Ryan but lets wait until he wins a playoff game, hell as much as I despise to say it, Sanchez would be considered more a Superbowl contender then Ryan and he has been in the league a year less.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:47PM

Yeah a superbowl contender, should be considered, after they have advanced to the championship game.

Crowder makes the perfect point. He aint. nothing he hasnt done anything, but make the draft picks for his team crappier lol...

What's being 11-5 12-4 picking in the 20's not winning a playoff game?

He is about to lose his big security blanket in Gonzalez. If White get's hurt then what?

Just because they play in a so so division, in the NFC and in a dome at home doesnt mean he is all that.

Once as he win's some playoff games, and tear's up the record books then we can talk, otherwise he is a capable QB that is balding BAD! lol

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 03:48PM

Date: April 12, 2011 03:48PM

Crowder, I definately consider you one of my friends on here....but, if a person honestly believes that Jake Long was a better pick than Matt Ryan and also, that Mark Sanchez is better than Matt Ryan, then well....I dont really have a need for a discussion because any football fan with half a brain realizes Matt Ryan is a top 10 QB in this league...and he is only getting better.

---------------------

Date: April 12, 2011 03:53PM

Sanchez has taken his team farther than Ryan. Even though I think we all know Sanchez is REALLY REALLY protected.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:59PM

I like Ryan, in hindisght I would rather have him then Long, and no I would not like Sanchez... but the facts are still the same. The reason I do buy the RYan pick in hindsight only, and becasue in hindsight we could have picked up a decent player for LT at 32. But I cant argue with the pick Parcells made at present time. And RYan has yet to put himself in the superbowl contender category IMO. He is special but not a playoff winner yet.

Date: April 12, 2011 04:26PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
>
> That's interesting. I took from that that
> Parcells made the White pick, as many have
> speculated.

I thought it sounded like Parcell was jumping on the Pat WHite grenade for Ireland as well. WHo knows the truth but it sounded like Parcell was publicly taking the hit for his friend Ireland,

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:41PM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: April 12, 2011 04:52PM

Anyone who doesn't realize this regime blew it when they passed on Ryan simply doean't understand NFL football.

As far as Pat White, stating that he was "off spec" is a classic. Parcells is the one with the football for dummies DRAFT BIG DUDES formula for winning -- and under HIS LEADERSHIP we drafted Pat focking White???

And guess what - NO ONE on the staff bothered to work the kid out and find out his throwing mechanics were HORRIBLE and his physical stature was not yet at a high school level.

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: April 12, 2011 06:28PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> eesti Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sounds to me like he was intimating that the
> White
> > pick was on Ireland...which would confirm the
> > rumor if true.
>
>
> That's interesting. I took from that that
> Parcells made the White pick, as many have
> speculated.

Armando ran a column a couple months back where he cited an insider as telling him that Ireland was the one most opposed to picking Pat White. And it was pretty well known that Parcells was a huge White fan, with reports of that coming out during White's senior season.

Date: April 12, 2011 06:53PM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> -----
> > Pat White was an obvious F Up. HUGE. Wasted
> > opportunity.But at the time , he wasn't looking
> > for a franchise QB, we were really into the
> > wildcat and looking for a really athletic
> > QB/runner.
> >
> > And Long over Ryan? With the #1 pick in the
> draft
> > , you can't waste that kind of money on a
> loser.
> > Long turned out to be a great Lineman. Ryan was
> a
> > gamble. You just never know how its gonna turn
> > out.
> >
> > My point is , I understand his thinking at the
> > time behind those decisions. You just never
> know.
> >
> > Unlike Cam Cameron picking a punt returner/wide
> > reciever with #9 the year before. WTF!? No way
> to
> > justify that pick/way of thinking even if the
> guy
> > turned out to be good.
> >
> >
> > But I do give Parcells credit for owning up to
> it.
> > Now he should Donate some of that money he took
> > for not finishing what he started.
>
>
> &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> Yeah, but if you have the chance to land a
> Franchise QB or a Franchise LT, and you have
> neither....you ALWAYS go QB.
>
> Hands down, the risk is worth the reward if you
> land a franchise QB. With Matt Ryan here, we would
> have been in the AFC Champioship last year. With
> Jake Long, we were 7-9.

OR.....We could have wasted a 1st rounder on a Ryan leaf wannabe.
And have NO Pro Bowl lineman. All I'm saying is that I understood his line of thinking at the time.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: April 12, 2011 08:44PM

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: April 12, 2011 08:46PM

Date: April 13, 2011 02:49AM

ghotirule Wrote:
> BTW, Sanchez still sucks. He's got a loaded team
> but just doesn't have the tools to take them to
> the big game. I'm happy we don't have Sanchoke.

Believe me , I'm no fan of the South of the Border Toy boy. Nothing would make me happier then to see him implode. And he almost got benched last season. But he does show flashes of real ability. What I like is he doesn't seem to handle pressure very well. Is to shake him up, he's not a tough guy at all. But give him no pressure , he can put it down the field. The Jets don't have no Tom Brady , But he is a decent NFL QB and getting better every season.

Date: April 13, 2011 03:56AM

> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> -----
> > TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Pat White was an obvious F Up. HUGE. Wasted
> > > opportunity.But at the time , he wasn't
> looking
> > > for a franchise QB, we were really into the
> > > wildcat and looking for a really athletic
> > > QB/runner.
> > >
> > > And Long over Ryan? With the #1 pick in the
> > draft
> > > , you can't waste that kind of money on a
> > loser.
> > > Long turned out to be a great Lineman. Ryan
> was
> > a
> > > gamble. You just never know how its gonna
> turn
> > > out.
> > >
> > > My point is , I understand his thinking at
> the
> > > time behind those decisions. You just never
> > know.
> > >
> > > Unlike Cam Cameron picking a punt
> returner/wide
> > > reciever with #9 the year before. WTF!? No
> way
> > to
> > > justify that pick/way of thinking even if the
> > guy
> > > turned out to be good.
> > >
> > >
> > > But I do give Parcells credit for owning up
> to
> > it.
> > > Now he should Donate some of that money he
> took
> > > for not finishing what he started.
> >
> >
> > &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
> > Yeah, but if you have the chance to land a
> > Franchise QB or a Franchise LT, and you have
> > neither....you ALWAYS go QB.
> >
> > Hands down, the risk is worth the reward if you
> > land a franchise QB. With Matt Ryan here, we
> would
> > have been in the AFC Champioship last year.
> With
> > Jake Long, we were 7-9.
>
>
> OR.....We could have wasted a 1st rounder on a
> Ryan leaf wannabe.
> And have NO Pro Bowl lineman. All I'm saying is
> that I understood his line of thinking at the
> time.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
But the truth is, thats not how it turned out. We made a *HUGE* mistake in passing over a franchise QB.

---------------------

Date: April 13, 2011 05:24AM

Yeah we made such a huge mistake, because this team was stacked, and primed for superbowl greatness with Ryan at the helm.

F.ck Matt Ryan, and F.ck Parcells for even trying to admit that he was the better pick over Jake Long, who has been to the pro-bowl every year he has played, well invited, unlike Ryan, who can't even get his STACKED team to a playoff win. lol

You guy's sound pathetic with this whole let's cry a river over not picking Ryan, because blah blah.

He play's in a dome. He play's for a stacked team, and how many playoff win's does this chump have?

Get out of here with this BS. He isnt much better than Henne.

Hell now that we actualy got rid of skeletor as our O-cordinator, and look to improve our O-line Henne might actually put up solid number's this season.

I'll give Henne one more season to get it right, even though I think Thigpen would do better.

I'll give Henne the choker about half a season to do somthing decent, or put in somone else.

Let's say for some strange reason he does play well, then all you mofo's will be eating some hard crow.

Date: April 13, 2011 05:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> But the truth is, thats not how it turned out. We
> made a *HUGE* mistake in passing over a franchise
> QB.

Duh. But his "thinking" at the time was sound. What do you want to do next? Complain about not winning the Lotto yesterday with the results in front of you today?

Date: April 13, 2011 05:33AM

> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> > But the truth is, thats not how it turned out.
> We
> > made a *HUGE* mistake in passing over a
> franchise
> > QB.
>
>
>
>
> Duh. But his "thinking" at the time was sound.
> What do you want to do next? Complain about not
> winning the Lotto yesterday with the results in
> front of you today?

Stop whinning like a bucnh of little girls salivating over a bald Matt Ryan. We didnt make a mistake.

Can we say hair plugs?

Go ahead go tell Jake Long, that he was a mistake, and you would rather have Ryan.

Go on true fan's you wana act that way, then send him some letter's stating why he was a mistake and that Ryan is a better player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 05:36AM by Mia1.

Date: April 13, 2011 05:39AM

Any Player that plays half a season with 1 arm and still makes the Probowl is allright with me.

Posted by: sleekdogg ()
Date: April 13, 2011 05:52AM

IMO Parcells is the type of guy that will lead you down a path that winds up back at the begining. I mean when a coach starts saying something about his draft strategy its usually a red flag. Your draft strategy isn't something you just leave laying around on the coffee table. And Long has been nothing but great and a pro bowler so for Parcells to say it was a mistake to draft him doesn't really make sense, IMO Parcells was being sarcastic by saying ya a pro bowl LT was a horrible pick and playing along with the QB is the end all be all. IMO Parcells is great at telling the media whatever they need to hear or confusing them until they look stupid. Parcells is just patronizing this reporter so when the Dolphins are successful this season and Henne is leading the way that the media looks like a bunch of dummies. He just set the table for their crow dinner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2011 06:18AM by sleekdogg.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.