HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Torrey Smith
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Torrey Smith
Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: April 09, 2011 06:48AM

The more I look at it, the more I think Torrey Smith could be our pick. Hopefully that would occur after a trade down, but there is a chance that New England picks him if we choose to trade back. Even at #15 his selection could provide good value for he is a 2 for 1 deal.

First, as a wide receiver, he would improve our team speed. He is an explosive runner with the ball by breaking tackles and making people miss and can stretch the field with his speed. After watching game film, I see a guy that will go up for the ball with his 40"+ vertical leep and catch the ball in traffic. What I love is his subtle push offs that allow him to get that last second separation. He has mastered that art and seems to get away with it quite often. That ability is undervalued. He has a career average of 17.78 yards per touch which ranks fourth in school history ... ranks third on the Terps career receptions list (152) and second on the receiving yards chart (2,215) ... his 19 career touchdown receptions rank second in school history ... ranks tied for second in Maryland history for career 100-yard receiving games (7).

Secondly, he would immediately up grade our return game. He is a threat to go the distance everytime he touches the ball. In just 3 years he holds the ACC record for career kickoff return yards (2,983). Owns the Maryland record and ranks seventh on the ACC charts in career all-purpose yards (5,264). Owns the Terps record for career kickoff returns for touchdowns with three ... career kickoff return average of 24.25 is sixth in school history.

The guy also has some other interesting accolades like these:

Earned Iron Terp status for the second time in his career in spring testing ... member of the 2010 Terrapin Council, the team's leadership committee ... marked his third straight season on the Terrapin Council ... owns the all-time record in the clean (355) and second-best mark in the squat (550) among wideouts.

Since he likes to fish in his spare time, Miami would be a great place for him. As a criminology and criminal justice major who graduated in Dec. 2010, he likely will stay out of trouble.

Because of all these traits, I think Torrey Smith would make a great 1st round pick for the Miami Dolphins in 2011.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Torrey Smith
Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 09, 2011 06:49AM

I don't want to use our high pick on another WR.

We can get a speedy guy with a much lower cost, and if he doesnt work out whoooo. Lets shore up the line then get some TE's, and RB's.

Date: April 09, 2011 08:41AM

I like Smith and I think we might pick him if we trade back around 10 picks, but if, right now, you put a gun to my head, then I would pick Pouncey at 15. He is a safe pick in a major position of need. Mallet would be my gamble on greatness pick.

Based on who will likely be available and if we have to stick at 15, this would be my most wanted list. Notice that I am staying on offense.

1. Pouncey
2. Smith
3. Mallet
4. Ingram
5. Rudolph

I suppose one of the tackles would be nice as well, but Pouncey is better and in more of a position of need. If they are not going to pick him then I don't see it being one of the tackles.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 09, 2011 08:46AM

I'm right there with you JT...

I would be happy w/ Pouncey or Smith.

Date: April 09, 2011 09:27AM

Me Likey!! Trade down and then grab him will be very cool.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 09, 2011 09:30AM

I am so confused on what we will do. We have a few *critical* needs, and I assume they will address one in the 1st round, or trade down and address it.

Just which direction they go with the actual pick when we are on the clock is about as clear as mud.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: April 09, 2011 09:55AM

I think the Only "Critical" need is a QB. If we had a decent QB we would have won 3-4 more games easy last season. We have players coming back healthy, I'd like to see a O lineman , But I'm good as long as we address QB through the draft. The question is who do they like and who will be available? It will be interesting for sure.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: April 09, 2011 10:26AM

Center is a crtical need, playmaking WR/TE is a critical need.

Just my thoughts though.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: April 09, 2011 10:43AM

this is a guy who is projected as a late 2 early 3. his speed is good not great. he didn't set the world on fire at MD. I'd be pissed if we took him at 15. he is not considered the #3 overall WR in the class by anyone I've read or heard. If we took him in the 3d or in the 2d after a trade down, then OK. at 15 or in the first, hells no

Date: April 09, 2011 02:56PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is a guy who is projected as a late 2 early
> 3. his speed is good not great. he didn't set the
> world on fire at MD. I'd be pissed if we took him
> at 15. he is not considered the #3 overall WR in
> the class by anyone I've read or heard. If we took
> him in the 3d or in the 2d after a trade down,
> then OK. at 15 or in the first, hells no

#3 Walter Football, CBS Sports, NFL Draft Scout, Fantasy Football Toolbox, Scout.com with Fox

#4 Mel Kiper

#5 ESPN(have Tandone Doss at #3. When did he get included?) Draft Countdown, Mike Mayok, Todd McShay

#6 Pro Football Weekly

#7 Draft Daddy

Now I am tired of looking. There is what I have found in terms of ranking. I would say that he is considered by many to be the 3rd best receiver in the draft. I didn't find it, but Casserly seemed to like him as a 1st round pick at one point.

Date: April 09, 2011 02:57PM

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 09, 2011 03:09PM

Date: April 09, 2011 03:15PM

Jonathan Twilley Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > this is a guy who is projected as a late 2
> early
> > 3. his speed is good not great. he didn't set
> the
> > world on fire at MD. I'd be pissed if we took
> him
> > at 15. he is not considered the #3 overall WR
> in
> > the class by anyone I've read or heard. If we
> took
> > him in the 3d or in the 2d after a trade down,
> > then OK. at 15 or in the first, hells no
>
>
> Walter Football, CBS sports has him #3.
>
> #5 Draft Countdown

I stand corrected. Still I see no one that has him going anywhere in the 1st (except for the one stupid mock by omar kelly who had him to us at #15, months ago)

Date: April 09, 2011 03:16PM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> If part of the rationalization for drafting a
> player in the 1st round requires the use of the
> phrase "...and he helps our special teams" then
> he's not a mid/high 1st round pick.

2 of our biggest top pick busts ever were introduced by the coaches as being good special teamers---eddie moore and ted ginn

Date: April 09, 2011 04:02PM

I just took a nice dump after eating at the all you can eat sald Bar at Ruby Tuesdays. I named it Ted and Eddie........

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: April 09, 2011 05:33PM

Unless he is Deion Sanders.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: April 09, 2011 09:09PM

Date: April 11, 2011 02:55AM

Another thing to remember is that Top Flight recievers can make a fairly Mundane "QB" much better. if we are forced to deal with Henne for another season, another great reciever opposite Marshall can improve his play and Int. totals. Also stretches the field for better Runningback play.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: April 11, 2011 05:44AM

Well also it will be Hartlines third year!!

That is the break out year for majority of WR'S? right???

Lets hope he improved his explosion, and speed.

I would love to sign Mike Sim's Walker and have him compete for starting spot 4th wr in a 4 down set.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.