HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Will Thigpen be released?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Will Thigpen be released?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 28, 2011 08:10AM

Poll
Will Thigpen be Released?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
19 votes were received.
Yes 4

21%
No 15

79%

I hate to burst your bubble, Mia1, but Thigpen is toast. Let's say the conclusion is that Henne needs to be replaced, the bottom line evaluation is that Thigpen does not advance the situation. Remember the game Henne and Penny both went down? How long did Thigpen keep the job? The reality is that no matter what happens to Henne this season, Thigpen will struggle to keep his back up job. I don't see it being 1) Henne 2) Thigpen and 3) a rookie. Neither do I see it being 1) Henne 2) another Vet and 3) Thigpen. Nor will it be 1) two rookies and 2) Thigpen.

So how many see Thigpen on this team next season?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 12:39PM by Phinsfan2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is Thigpen Toast?
Date: March 28, 2011 08:25AM

I realized that the heading of the topic asks is Thigpen Toast but the question asks will he be on the roster next season. Both of these call for opposite answers for each side. I will try to amend the poll if possible.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:19AM

I think he WILL be on the roster when TC starts, but I see us both drafting a QB and signing a vet FA. Since we're not going to carry 4 QBs, Thiggy will likely be the odd man out on this. No way we cut Henne. Assuming we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round, they're in by default. So, unless the vet gets hurt or really stinks it up, then Thiggy will be toast. But, I don't see him being let go before that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 10:19AM by montequi.

Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:21AM

I think you make a good point Chyren. Although one scenario where he could stay, would be if the drafting a rookie is all a bluff to take the heat off of another scenario. So the only way Thigpen stays is if we dont draft a rookie QB. Then we will have Henne, sign a Vet, and then THiggy. I guess the same could be true if we are unable to sign a vet who we think is better then THigpen. But your point that THigpen's luck and roll of the dice is about to crap out in Miami, is a good point.

Date: March 28, 2011 10:25AM

I also am not sure, he will be released Chryen as the poll ask, I think the FO would try and sign him to bring him into camp and possible trade him if he doesnt make the cut. THe draft should be the indicator for Thigpens survival in Miami. IF we draft a guy early then he is gone

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: March 28, 2011 10:27AM

It would definitely be nice to get something for him in a trade. Still, based on his atrocious performance last season, does he still have any trade value?

Date: March 28, 2011 10:50AM

Yes I think he still has some value. at least what we gave up for him. Lots of team would want him in camp to compete for 1st, second ,and third spots, depending on the location. Its all whether or not THigpen will resign with us, if he thinks that is what we will do(trade him away). He would rather be able to sign with his choice of teams not who ever Miami can get a higher pick from for his services.

Date: March 28, 2011 12:20PM

Date: March 28, 2011 12:33PM

??? I saw a post about Allen Bradford, with some talk about THigpen?
What Chyren brought up is interesting, why you trying to start up by giving him a hard time? Your comment is just being disruptive, because you seem to have a problem with CHyren? I want to talk football, if there are issues with repeat post, which this in no way remotely qualifies based on the link you posted, a moderator will handle it. It is not the job of relatively new users on the board to personally moderate a long time members post like you did. If you dont like the guy, leave him alone, but dont let it get in the middle of others talking about football, please.... thanks,

Re: Will Thigpen be released?
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 12:43PM

Date: March 28, 2011 01:50PM

Good point, Phinsfan, THingpen is in kinda a football status twilight zone at the moment, and the awakening, will dicatate alot with players like him. UFA status or is it?lol

Date: March 28, 2011 02:30PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ??? I saw a post about Allen Bradford, with some
> talk about THigpen?
> What Chyren brought up is interesting, why you
> trying to start up by giving him a hard time? Your
> comment is just being disruptive, because you seem
> to have a problem with CHyren? I want to talk
> football, if there are issues with repeat post,
> which this in no way remotely qualifies based on
> the link you posted, a moderator will handle it.
> It is not the job of relatively new users on the
> board to personally moderate a long time members
> post like you did. If you dont like the guy, leave
> him alone, but dont let it get in the middle of
> others talking about football, please.... thanks,

No NOT at all. But hasn't the point of Thigpen not being up to spec been discussed before and into the ground. Excuse me but I just see this as a back door way of dissing Thigpen yet again.This is not a new spin. If he didn't have any Value way would they place a 2nd round Tender on him?

Date: March 28, 2011 05:02PM

We've discussed QBs in many situations, Treasure. I think the novelty is that most conversations have concentrated on Henne and the draft prospects. A lot of us don't think that healthwise or given his free agent status, Pennington will be back. So I think the question of concentrating, in particular, on Thigpen's future, although he has certainly been discussed in the QB discussions, has really been dealt with in and of itself and without reference to Henne vs. him as a starter.

Date: March 28, 2011 06:08PM

Fair enough. Again, if he didn't have any Value Miami wouldn't have put such a high Tender on him. Is the staff hoping another Team bites and gives up a second rounder for him? Maybe. But with that High Tender comes a significant investment if no one does. If no other Teams bite, I think he's got as good a chance to compete for the starting job as anyone. Maybe a better one.

Date: March 28, 2011 07:10PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Fair enough. Again, if he didn't have any Value
> Miami wouldn't have put such a high Tender on him.
> Is the staff hoping another Team bites and gives
> up a second rounder for him? Maybe. But with that
> High Tender comes a significant investment if no
> one does. If no other Teams bite, I think he's got
> as good a chance to compete for the starting job
> as anyone. Maybe a better one.

RESPONSE: That tender may come under the category of the saying that Bugs Bunny used to be famous for in the cartoons of the 1950's which was, "I can dream, can't I?"

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:26PM

smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 07:26PM by Mia1.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:26PM

I don't think he will be released, or traded, too many QB's from Draft and F.A.

He will most likely be battling it out with Henne, and maybe a mid round QB, maybe late round.

He didnt stink it up this year, hell he put in better numbers than Henne, and with alot worse circumstances, I wish people would at least acknowledge, that he did more with less.

He wasnt Bree's, but he damn sure was no Quinn.

Date: March 28, 2011 07:37PM

And let me say that it's not me just ragging on Thigpen. As I evaluate Henne, I see, a) strong arm b) accuracy good sometimes questionable other times c) ability to at least get yardage with his feet d) judgement only average.

As I evaluate Chad Pennington, I see a) superior football knowledge b) poor mobility, and c) weak arm.

As I evaluate Thigpen I see a) decent enough arm strength b) superior accuracy but c) a tendency to lose both his head and his ability to get out of a pass rush when protection has completely broken down.

Therefore, if I had the Patriots team (of course without its quarterbacks) and I was told I must choose one of the Dolphins Quarterbacks to replace Brady, without a doubt I would choose Thigpen because I think he would bring the most to a team that already has every other element of a perfect team.

But for the same reason, he would be the last QB I would pick for a team like the Dolphins wherein the line is weak and there are many things to compensate for. I'd rather have Henne's strong body and arm or Chad Pennington's brains. But Thiggy, although he has superior passing ability over the other two, just loses his head in the clutch and does not have the elusiveness or strength to make a play when the protection breaks down.

If I could Doctor Frankenstein the three Dolphin QBs, I would have one with the passing ability of Thigpen, the Brains of Pennington, and the arm and leg strength of Chad Henne.

But given that this is a fantasy, Thigpen is probably the odd man out since it will come down to either Henne or Thigpen (I expect Pennnington to retire).

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 28, 2011 07:57PM

In short, No. Thigpen will be on this team next year if there is a next year that is...I think we'll draft a quarterback and Henne isn't going anywhere. We'll need a #3 guy that has some experience and Thigpen is that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 07:57PM by Ken.

Date: March 29, 2011 03:17AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Fair enough. Again, if he didn't have any Value
> > Miami wouldn't have put such a high Tender on
> him.
> > Is the staff hoping another Team bites and
> gives
> > up a second rounder for him? Maybe. But with
> that
> > High Tender comes a significant investment if
> no
> > one does. If no other Teams bite, I think he's
> got
> > as good a chance to compete for the starting
> job
> > as anyone. Maybe a better one.
>
>
> RESPONSE: That tender may come under the category
> of the saying that Bugs Bunny used to be famous
> for in the cartoons of the 1950's which was, "I
> can dream, can't I?"

Haven't watched cartoons in many years but either way its just a Bad attempt to discredit Thigpen. A 2nd Round Tender is just That. A 2nd round tender. He will either be paid a significant amount this year or some Team will give us a 2nd rounder for him. Its that simple and Cut and dry. Enjoy them Looney Tunes!

Date: March 29, 2011 08:24AM

Date: March 29, 2011 08:34AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> An offer to take a 2nd round draft choice for
> Thigpen is only that. It is saying, "Hey, you can
> have him for a 2nd round draft choice." We're
> hoping to get the 2nd round draft choice, not to
> get or keep Thiggy.
>
> And what's with this "Bad attempt to discredit
> Thigpen?" You posted that some 8 hours after I
> posted that I considered Thigpen our best passer.
>
> This post is about whether he will be kept.
>
> And even if it was to "discredit" Thigpen, it
> would be a comment on his playing ability. And
> THAT is what this board is for, not to talk about
> a player's mother.

Could be 18 hrs later..or 80, doesn't matter. Usually a reference to a childrens cartoon is not a compliment. Maybe your just a really bad comedian?

Whats with the reference to the last thread? A Players mother? That makes it a grand Total of 7 times you have referenced past threads when trying to make a point to me. Is it that hard? Do you have so little information to back your point that you feel the need to constantly do that? And its not a Players mother....its a drug dealer. Maybe you like drug dealers? Do you do crack? If so I'll totally understand and we will try to get you some help bro.

As far as what this thread is about......I think your poll pretty much answers that question. Thigpen is a quality prospect that deserves a chance to compete.

Date: March 29, 2011 09:59AM

Date: March 29, 2011 10:08AM

Are you some weirdo guy confined to a wheel chair or something?

Not making fun of it if you are ..........its just that you really seem to spend alot of time arguing about nothing. I actually have a life and can't do that. Ooops........is it time to change your piss bag?

Let me know when the nurse leaves so we can continue with whatever it is you seem to want to pursue to help kill the time of your obviously miserable life.

Date: March 29, 2011 10:28AM

LOL. An archtypical response from you. No issue discussion. Just insults. But then again, you are the type of person who attacks suicide victims and other people's mothers. So how much more can I expect?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2011 10:42AM by ChyrenB.

Date: March 29, 2011 11:37AM

Did you crap yourself too? Make sure the nurse cleans you well.....I can tell when she doesn't. You get very cranky.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:05PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Did you crap yourself too? Make sure the nurse
> cleans you well.....I can tell when she doesn't.
> You get very cranky.

TRANSLATION: I, TreasurecoastPhinsFan, can't carry on an intelligent conversation.

Further Translation: Among the dull-witted like me, TreasurecoastPhinsFan, insults serve as my form of wit.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: March 29, 2011 01:17PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> LOL. An archtypical response from you. No issue
> discussion. Just insults. But then again, you
> are the type of person who attacks suicide victims
> and other people's mothers. So how much more can
> I expect?

Attacking suicide victims? Is this some kind of idiom like "beating a dead horse"?

Date: March 29, 2011 01:55PM

Kinda sounds that way when you say it Jonathan but given the fact that most people who commit suicide do so out of mental health problems, they can be classified as victims.

You've been away for awhile. There was a thread about Ex-Chicago Bear Dave Duerson committing suicide and the original poster called it a sad story. TreasureHighHorse, with all the critical analysis ability of a cricket, immediately jumped to the conclusion that Duerson and all persons who commmit suicide are "selfish."

LOL. Like one would say about the father of eleven children who runs off to Tahiti with a hottie and takes all the family money with him.

The guy is a .....well, I don't want to be like him.

Date: March 29, 2011 01:56PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> And let me say that it's not me just ragging on
> Thigpen. As I evaluate Henne, I see, a) strong
> arm b) accuracy good sometimes questionable other
> times c) ability to at least get yardage with his
> feet d) judgement only average.
>
> As I evaluate Chad Pennington, I see a) superior
> football knowledge b) poor mobility, and c) weak
> arm.
>
> As I evaluate Thigpen I see a) decent enough arm
> strength b) superior accuracy but c) a tendency to
> lose both his head and his ability to get out of a
> pass rush when protection has completely broken
> down.
>
> Therefore, if I had the Patriots team (of course
> without its quarterbacks) and I was told I must
> choose one of the Dolphins Quarterbacks to replace
> Brady, without a doubt I would choose Thigpen
> because I think he would bring the most to a team
> that already has every other element of a perfect
> team.
>
> But for the same reason, he would be the last QB I
> would pick for a team like the Dolphins wherein
> the line is weak and there are many things to
> compensate for. I'd rather have Henne's strong
> body and arm or Chad Pennington's brains. But
> Thiggy, although he has superior passing ability
> over the other two, just loses his head in the
> clutch and does not have the elusiveness or
> strength to make a play when the protection breaks
> down.
>
> If I could Doctor Frankenstein the three Dolphin
> QBs, I would have one with the passing ability of
> Thigpen, the Brains of Pennington, and the arm and
> leg strength of Chad Henne.
>
> But given that this is a fantasy, Thigpen is
> probably the odd man out since it will come down
> to either Henne or Thigpen (I expect Pennnington
> to retire).

I agree Chyren, if Chad P is possible and legitimate to go, I would like him on the team. I understand it is likely that Chad P and Thigpen are both gone. Being replaced by another veteran like Vince Young, Kevin Kolb, or Carson Palmer. If we dont land one of those vets, and Chad P, is a go, I would like to keep him around. Then draft Newton, but it seems more likely that are Qb situation next year will be Carson Palmer- Henne- and Mallett or Ponder.

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.