HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          I want an 18 Game Season
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
I want an 18 Game Season
Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: February 12, 2011 04:29AM

Football season is too short. We need a longer season. We need the oportunity to go 21-0.

Adjustments need to be made to facilitate a longer season.

1) Obviously, we need to reduce the preseason to two games and use those games to establish who makes the final roster.

2) Increase player rosters and practice squads for depth.

3) Add another bye week at the final third of the season to allow players time to rest for a play-off run.

4) All team roster players should be active on game day. Should also have an emergency option to make a practice teamer active.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I want an 18 Game Season
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 04:43AM

i used to feel that way, but I am now fine with 16 games. 18 games will make the individual games less meaningful, lead to more injuries which will make some of the games crappy since 3d stringers will be playing, probably have more teams in the playoffs, threatening to make the nfl look like the nba. I say leave well enough alone--esp if it means gettign a new cba signed and saving next season

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 12, 2011 04:50AM

I think we all want an 18 game season as fans. But we will soon realize that as our favorite payers start falling to career ending injuries, we will want our 16 game season back.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:00AM

What's interesting is the debate level over this change. It seems to me that changing anything that's going good is a recipe for possible backlash. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a longer football season, but I understand the consequences of doing such. Injuries, depleted importance, and decreased attendance(possibly) are all horrible things to make happen just because of greed. I think the owners are some of the greediest in all of sports. I think they need to figure out how to fill stadiums so the games aren't blacked out before they add more games to the schedule.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:23AM

Just another way to get more money from ticket holders, and such.

It is a stupid idea. There will never be a undefeated team again.

Also there will be years, when there will be ALOT of meaningless games.

Like when week 15 hits, there will be some teams not making playoffs, and will be playing 2,3,4 meaningless games.

Complete BS If you ask me, UNLESS they make the two extra games well I would say division, but even then ? How and the hell you cant make it more than 6 division games, so are the other two, conferance games, non conferance games?

What about adding another team in each conferance to the playoffs?

Date: February 12, 2011 05:31AM

The NFL game is a tough sport. Adding two regular season games and removing two preseason games is really NOT that drastic of a change. It's not like an 82 game hockey season. It is 60 minutes of offense, defense and special teams.

We have lost valuable players in preseason games. The Packers had 15 players go on injured reserve and were still able to win the SuperBowl.

We already have a system in place that has changed the game in order to protect the skill players from defenseless hits.

Two more real games would benefit everyone. Coaches would have to manage the rotation better to get more players involved in the game...which we already do.

We live in an age w/ better training, Better protective equipment, better fields (once that dreaded infield is removed), vastly improved surgical procedures for standard injuries w/ better recovery times, and rule changes that protect the players more than ever from the physicality of the game.

Date: February 12, 2011 06:26AM

Speaking of equipment, I am on the side of to much hard plastic resulting in more injuries.

Its apparant that concusions will always happen, and reduced?? They only protective gear I like is knee braces for the big boys, I would much rather perfere a tempur foam, kevlar reinforced helments, and shoulderpads. instead of composite hard plastics, with crappy everyday foam.

The Helmots do more damage that anything else. I would go over a total redesign of pads, and impement emphasis on where the players of each postition take most of the punishment, then implement differant suits, if you will, not full suits, but well to help protect, and give maximized mobility according to the players needs.

Posted by: Finshady ()
Date: February 12, 2011 11:49AM

I would like an 18 game season and 4 more playoff teams 2 per conference. That would make for some exciting playoffs.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 12, 2011 12:26PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:25PM

I love the idea of a bigger playoff. Definately down for that.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 12, 2011 01:56PM

Mia1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just another way to get more money from ticket
> holders, and such.

I'm not sure how I feel about an 18 game season yet, but the above statement is false, dont they charge the same price for the 4 pre-season games, eliminating 2 pre-season games and adding 2 to the regular season is the same amount of money

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 12, 2011 05:09PM

JimB,

What would you say to those who would say that starting the season after only two preseason games would cut down on the amount of time to evaluate the talent?

Posted by: slipstream ()
Date: February 12, 2011 08:12PM

Mark Sanchez: I'll settle for 17.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:33AM

Jim B Wrote:
> The NFL game is a tough sport. Adding two regular
> season games and removing two preseason games is
> really NOT that drastic of a change. It's not
> like an 82 game hockey season. It is 60 minutes
> of offense, defense and special teams.
>
> We have lost valuable players in preseason games.
> The Packers had 15 players go on injured reserve
> and were still able to win the SuperBowl.
>
> We already have a system in place that has changed
> the game in order to protect the skill players
> from defenseless hits.
>
> Two more real games would benefit everyone.
> Coaches would have to manage the rotation better
> to get more players involved in the game...which
> we already do.
>
> We live in an age w/ better training, Better
> protective equipment, better fields (once that
> dreaded infield is removed), vastly improved
> surgical procedures for standard injuries w/
> better recovery times, and rule changes that
> protect the players more than ever from the
> physicality of the game.

Good stuff.

Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 13, 2011 04:35AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> Finshady Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would like an 18 game season and 4 more
> playoff
> > teams 2 per conference. That would make for
> some
> > exciting playoffs.
>
>
> I think they should add at least one more playoff
> team. But I could live with two and no 1st round
> bye's anymore.
>
> Best thing to do would be to eliminate out of
> conference regular season games.
>
> 18 game schedule.
>
> 16 teams per conference.
>
> you play everyone in your division 2x (6 games)
> and the 12 other teams in your conference once.
>
> Its as close to a balanced schedule as you can get
> and maintain division rivalries.
>
> Division winners get in.
>
> Next best 3 or 4 teams get in as Wild cards.
>
> Seeding based on records. Re-seed after every
> round.
>
> No home games for winning division.

Jeeze, you guys are good.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:42AM

to me one of the best things about the nfl is the importance of every regular season game. unlike other sports, getting a 1st round bye, home playoff game, and seeding is huge in the NFL playoffs. I think the proposal (no bye, reseeding) over an 18 game season, with more playoff teams, and no out-of-conf games, would make the regular seson much less interesting and meaningful. All this allegedly to make 2 preseason games more "competitive"? I'd rather keep the 16 games

Date: February 13, 2011 09:35AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 13, 2011 05:35PM

I want an 18 game season because preseason games are total BS anyway...

I'd also like to see the wildcard teams done away with totally...if you can't win your division you don't deserve to be in the playoffs, JMO.

I also know that my opinion isn't realistic in the real world due to the money involved for playoff games.

Date: February 13, 2011 07:51PM

Ken thats just stupid.

No wildcard team, would make it boring to watch, like Baseball.

Why would anyone want to watch 32 teams battle it out, when only 8 make playoffs?

Sorry, but you should stick with college Football, instead of NFL, if you want a playoff system like that.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: February 14, 2011 06:55AM

If it means no lockout, ill take a 16 game season, i dont care much either way, but i would like to see like a spring league as kind of a minor league to develop talent, and no not the NFLE. Just something to give fans what they want which is more football, and take it to sates without teams already, like wyoming, virginia, montana, iowa, and vermont to broaden exposure.

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 15, 2011 10:11AM

Im in favor of having an 18 game season.

Maybe the only thing would be adding more players to the team. Maybe 65 players instead of 53 and allowing every team to have more players on the practice squad. The reason for this would be because there is gonna be more injuries.

BTW i think its wrong to allow other teams to sign players on your practice squad. Why should other teams be able to sign players on your team that you draft? Again i think its wrong.

Like in baseball.................Teams are allowed to have a rookie league, 1a 2a tripleA......Teams have the ability to groom their players for the future.

Why should football be any different.

Maybe im right maybe im wrong but i believe this is why the NFL is so uneven as far as having just a few talented teams that are able compete every year......and then having the rest of them teams that stink.

Notice its always new england, pittsburgh the ravens..... the colts and saints have won it once in the last few years.... its always the same teams.

Just a though!smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.