HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Quickest way to upgrade offense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quickest way to upgrade offense
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 12:01PM

(1) Sign Mankins
(2) Draft ingram

I know, our QB sucks, but that's not likely to change this coming year unless we get a vet to come in and outperform Henne. There's not really anyone like that. While I know the story about how you can get RBs anywhere, blah blah blah, Ingram looks like a sure thing NFL top RB. If we can get Mankins (possible if he's not franchised), we move Incognito to C, hopefully Garner comes back and take the other guard spot, and our OL should be good (only possibly weak at RT). Then spend rest of the draft hitting the OL or BPA (inlcuding Qcool smiley and we should be OK.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quickest way to upgrade offense
Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: February 10, 2011 12:16PM

agree 1000%

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: February 10, 2011 12:48PM

It is no longer worth drafting a RB in the first round because the effective career of the average RB in today's NFL is so tremendously short.

A platoon of "lesser" RBs, in combination with a strong offensive line, can be incredibly successful. This strategy also allows more flexibility and protection against injuries, as well as creating a much better foundation for the team's running game.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:00PM

WE had a 1800 yd season in Ricky Williams and didn't even make the playoffs.

We have had a decent running game almost every season this past decade. Where has it gotten us?

We need to stop looking for stop gaps and Bargain QB's. We need a Top tier Signal caller if we are ever going to be successful.

Dolphins need to figure out who there #1 option under Center is and GET HIM. End of story.

Date: February 10, 2011 01:24PM

but everyone availble at QB in the 1st round is 3d choice at best. First choice, Luck, was the only sure thing and he's not coming out. Second choice is Gabbert who seems to be the best of the lot this year. So we're left at 15 with the best of the "3d" choices (Newton, Mallet, etc) all of whom have major question marks. I know we need a QB in the 1st but this year doesn't seem like the year to pull the trigger.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 10, 2011 01:41PM

I agree. It's nice to talk about platoon running backs but we had the best tandem, certainly in recent years, maybe in history with Ronnie and Ricky and I didn't see us going to any SuperBowls.

As I said before, you look at your needs and your first round draft choice is the best available athlete in an area of need. That spells Mark Ingram.

Posted by: Phins NJ ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:40PM

best tandem in history? the stats hardly support that!

Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:51PM

We have three holes to fill on the offensive line, maybe four if they decide to cut Carey for financial reasons. Nate Garner's return could help. Richie Incognito could be re-signed to play RG, the position he had always played in the NFL before this season. But, without a doubt, at the very least, we need to sign Mankins or Carl Nicks, and spend a high draft pick on the O-line. Without a line, nothing else matters.

Posted by: DaytonaDolfan13 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 04:58PM

#15 RB MARK INGRAM (DON'T TRADE DOWN)

EARLY 2ND ROUND (TRADE UP,package 3rd + 5th+ 6TH+) AND SELECT

Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State

4TH- QB COLIN KAPERNICK

Date: February 10, 2011 05:44PM

you'd need to give more than 3/5/6 to get an early 2d rounder, much more. and keprnic isn't making it out of the 2d round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 05:45PM by berkeley223.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:53PM

Sign Mankins or kalil & Deangelo Williams or Tim Hightower

Trade Down and take

WR
Titus Young or Jernigan or Torrey Smith, Cecil Shorts

2 of

Leshoure, Demarco Murray, Hunter, Locke, Devine, Bradford, Da Rel Scott

Date: February 10, 2011 06:12PM

i like the idea of getting d williams and mankins so we don't need to use our #1 on a RB. I'd be ok with trading down and taking OL and speed WR with those picks. we could have a beastly OL: Long, Mankins, INcognito or high draftee, Carey, #1 pick RT

Date: February 10, 2011 06:28PM

Phins NJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> best tandem in history? the stats hardly support
> that!

RESPONSE: Who do the stats support? I'm interested.

Date: February 10, 2011 06:43PM

earnest byner and kevin mack?
rocky blier and franco harris?
morris czonka kick?
brandon jacobs and ahmad bradshaw?

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 06:43PM

DaytonaDolfan13 Wrote:
> #15 RB MARK INGRAM (DON'T TRADE DOWN)
>
> EARLY 2ND ROUND (TRADE UP,package 3rd + 5th+ 6TH+)
> AND SELECT
>
> Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Penn State
>
> 4TH- QB COLIN KAPERNICK

Look are you 13 really? Im not trying to be a a.. but seriously dude, first you clammour all over Newton, like he is a fig, or strawberry newton, he is a cam newton, who will be forgotten in about 3 years.

Then you go on to give this HORRIBLE, and I know horrible, just ask the rest of the posters about what I type!!! Horrible scenario about selecting Ingram, trade up, and give away the rest of our picks for a center, then how will we end up with Newton???

Look we will trade down, that is going to happen, Ireland without giving away his stratagy, has pretty much guaranteed that if it's there, this team will re-acquire our second round selection.

So that will leave us with our top priority this draft, which is to shore up our O-line, because next year we will be drafting our Franchise QB, and Luck will be our man.

With a bright shiny new line, and some new RB's, a wr or two, and TE.

Then SB bound baby!!

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 07:05PM

Date: February 11, 2011 02:17AM

Unless you have a QB available that you think is worth your Job , you trade down becuase we have too many needs. Pick up a 2nd rounder and a later 1st.

Posted by: Northeast Fin Fan ()
Date: February 11, 2011 04:01AM

Reports say that the Pats will franchise Mankins.

Date: February 11, 2011 06:38AM

Northeast Fin Fan Wrote:
> Reports say that the Pats will franchise Mankins.

well, they'd be dumb if they didn't. and they are many things but not that....

Date: February 11, 2011 07:54AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> If we draft Ingram I'll throw up in my mouth. He's not a game changer.
>
RESPONSE: You know this is the kind of statement that can turn into either "I told you so" or "famous last words."

Its a wasted resource to
> select at #15 what you can get at #79 .

RESPONSE: But this part of it is something we will see in April.

Provided we do not draft him at 15, all we have to do is see where he's drafted because if he's drafted number 16, you certainly can't say, "Well, we could have had him at 79."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 07:57AM by ChyrenB.

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 08:20AM

I like Phinsfan plan. I dont want a Ingram at 15th, I want A DOMINATE O-LINE......

Date: February 11, 2011 09:12AM

Well, Mia1, if we could get a dominant O-line, if we could be assured that we were drafting Bob Kuchenberg or Jim Langer or Wayne Moore, I would agree that you could put a peg legged guy in the backfield and have a 1,000 yards running back.

Although O-line projections tend to be more accurate than RB projections which, in turn, tend to be more accurate than QB projections, again there is no guarantee.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 10:36AM

Date: February 11, 2011 05:35PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> earnest byner and kevin mack?
> rocky blier and franco harris?
> morris czonka kick?
> brandon jacobs and ahmad bradshaw?

RESPONSE: Now Franco was the top man and Rocky was the blocker sometimes carrier. Ronnie and Ricky were both basically starting and STAR RBs who we happened to get on the same team at the same time. Csonka was number 1 and Kiick was number 2. When Mercury came in, he took the number 2 role and ultimately replaced Kiick.

Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack were simply two scat-backs that either of whom I am not sure ran for 1000 yards and if so only once or so.

I don't think Jacobs and Bradshaw are even in the company of any of the duos mentioned above.

But I thought you would provide stats?

Date: February 11, 2011 05:51PM

Posted by: dolfans1 ()
Date: February 11, 2011 06:03PM

Yep. All of the above rushed for 1000 yards in the same season. Csonka and Morris were the first (and IMHO the best) to do it. Ricky and Ronnie never did it. They aren't in the same league (again IMHO) as the others.

Date: February 11, 2011 06:29PM

Give me the years because I have been looking at NFL.com and I haven't seen any of the above tandems listed with 2 1000 yard rushers in the same year, I don't believe even Csonka and Morris. That's why I'm asking for the stats. I can check the years.

And we have to remember that Ronnie and Ricky did not play together in all of the years we have had them. There were those years Ricky went away and came back.

Date: February 11, 2011 06:44PM

dude click the links!!

Date: February 11, 2011 07:22PM

Are you arguing against the beginning of your OWN thread, berkeley223? Or do you just like to disagree with me?

Date: February 11, 2011 07:32PM

what are you missing? you said you wanted stats and that you didn't think any of the players I listed rushed for 1k yards in the same season. I provided links, which if you click, prove that all of these guys did. yet you still insist ricky and ronnie are the all time best RB tandem and that rocky blier was a blocking back and kevin mack was a scat back? OK then

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.