Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Maybe the Super Bowl should come back to South Florida..
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Maybe the Super Bowl should come back to South Florida..
Posted by: chrisnnavarre ()
Date: February 09, 2011 08:10AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Maybe the Super Bowl should come back to South Florida..
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 09, 2011 06:12PM

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 03:54AM

Does it really matter where the SB is held? How many on this site went to the SB?

How many will ever go to a SB? Does it help a team out hosting it? Look at Jacksonville, didnt do much there, I know first hand I was living there when they hosted it.

If hosting a SB means f.cking up the currant stadium, by making it some hybrid dissgusting freak of a stadium, then good riddance SB.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 10, 2011 05:19AM

Mia1: So, what are you suggesting? Maybe a virtual computer-generated Superbowl that doesn't exist anywhere? Maybe we could bring back the Bud Bowl or even a Madden bowl! If it doesn't matter where the Superbowl is played, why have it at all?

Date: February 10, 2011 07:45AM

Im not the one who is mad about it not being in Miami.

If my team is not in it, I could really not care about where it is played, even if Miami is in it, I still don't think its a big deal where it is played, as long is that it is played.

personally I would love to see the SB played in Hawaii every year!

That would be sweet! Have the Pro-bowl here in the states, and the SB in Miami, why?

Because I like so many can't afford to go to the game, which makes it a thing of who cares where it is at, but in Hawaii you would have much cooler theme's, and pre-game, post game shows, and the week leading up to it, plus the players would get a kick out of it, and would be sweet weather!

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:08AM

mia1 actually has a point. where the SB is played matters only to (a) the people attending the game and (b) the local economy of the city where it is held. Practically no regular fan goes to the game, and few fans really care about the economic effect since it won't trickle down to them.

So while it may be nice to have the SB played in "your" city, it really doesn't matter much to the regular fan. What annoys me is the nfl's hypcocracy saying MIA needs a dome bc the prospect of people getting rained on is unaccepatable (when that has happened only once in the many SBs in Miami), then turning around and awarding NYC an outdoor superbowl in Feb. That's going to be a disaster and I will love see it happen!

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 10, 2011 09:25AM

You might what to open eyes a little wider regarding the economic effect of a Super Bowl. Though the average fan or person in the local area won't feel money entering his pocket there is a trickle down effect.

A city like Miami that depends on tourism will feel that money immediately as there are so many people in a tourist related business.

The trickle down is the tax revenue the local municipalities receive.
That should at least keep taxes from climbing and thus help everyone.

Don't believe this? Ask the mayor of Los Angeles if he would like the SB next year.

When Denver built the new stadium I could hardly believe they did not opt to put a dome on it. Imagine the influx of people arriving a week early or staying a week later and taking advantage of the great ski slopes in Colorado. Lost revenue for the State. What a dumb move. Now of coarse they are complaining about deficits.

Date: February 10, 2011 10:06AM

I agree there is economic effect on the city, but that's not anything the typical fan generally cares much about. I'm a dolphins fan but I live in DC; grew up in Miami but won't lose any sleep over the city's finances. I care more about that damn dirt infield!!

Date: February 10, 2011 06:34PM

Damn Berkeley you live one hour away from me!!

Date: February 11, 2011 03:44AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 11, 2011 04:37AM

During winter in S. Florida you definitely want the the sunshine onto the field, about 90% of the time. Thousands of people pay good money to travel from the North, to the area during the winter, and it isn't to be indoors, it's to be in the relatively warm sunshine.

The way to get the best of both worlds would be to put in a *retractable* roof. But if you think a regular domed stadium would be expensive...hoo-boy, wait till you see the price tag on one with a retactable roof!

Back when Joe Robbie was planning the stadium, I specifically recall one of the options being a retractable roof--this is back in the mid 80s. Joe, paying for the stadium with his own money, correctly said 'the hell with that' back then. It'd be nice to have, but I think we can get a few more miles out of our current park.

edited to add a missing word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 06:14AM by JC.

Date: February 11, 2011 05:44AM

The worst part about a roof would be the maintenance. With all the torrential rain Miami gets, this thing would be constantly leaking, not to mention growing natural grass would be significantly more difficult.

Date: February 11, 2011 06:37AM

I think the roof is dumb. The heat in Sept/Oct is (was) a big advantage back in the day. I don't recall any fans complaining it was too hot. Now Ross asks the league to get rid of 1pm Sept/Oct games, and we may put an ugly ass roof thing on the stadium? that's BS

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 11, 2011 09:24AM

What about this angle on it? Would not it be even MORE frustrating, even for a fan like me who has only even been to Miami once, let alone never lived in Miami, for the SB to be held in Miami and our team not BE in it and to think we could have had a HOME Super Bowl?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 11, 2011 09:30AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the roof is dumb. The heat in Sept/Oct is
> (was) a big advantage back in the day. I don't
> recall any fans complaining it was too hot. Now
> Ross asks the league to get rid of 1pm Sept/Oct
> games, and we may put an ugly ass roof thing on
> the stadium? that's BS

RESPONSE: Let me take a stab at this and I admit I am completely IGNORANT about the specific facts of what's going on in the city but is Ross saying get rid of all Sept/Oct games are just have them start later.

If he is saying get rid of all Sept/Oct games for the Dolphins, it would be great because we could play NE, Buff, and NYJ in Sept/Oct before winter sets in and play them at home in Nov/Dec?

But maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.

Date: February 11, 2011 09:34AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> What about this angle on it? Would not it be even
> MORE frustrating, even for a fan like me who has
> only even been to Miami once, let alone never
> lived in Miami, for the SB to be held in Miami and
> our team not BE in it and to think we could have
> had a HOME Super Bowl?

That feeling is familiar. The Superbowl has been played in Miami in 1968, 1969, 1971, 1976, 1979, 1989, 1995, 1999, 2007, 2010 (more times than any other city, btw). We played in the Superbowl in 1972, 1973, 1974, 1983, and 1985. It's amazing how close we came to playing at home, but we never did.

Date: February 11, 2011 11:37AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> berkeley223 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think the roof is dumb. The heat in Sept/Oct
> is
> > (was) a big advantage back in the day. I don't
> > recall any fans complaining it was too hot. Now
> > Ross asks the league to get rid of 1pm Sept/Oct
> > games, and we may put an ugly ass roof thing on
> > the stadium? that's BS
>
>
> RESPONSE: Let me take a stab at this and I admit
> I am completely IGNORANT about the specific facts
> of what's going on in the city but is Ross saying
> get rid of all Sept/Oct games are just have them
> start later.
>
> If he is saying get rid of all Sept/Oct games for
> the Dolphins, it would be great because we could
> play NE, Buff, and NYJ in Sept/Oct before winter
> sets in and play them at home in Nov/Dec?
>
> But maybe it has nothing to do with that at all.

he wants to have all Sept Oct games start at 4pm or later, which is what happned last year

Date: February 11, 2011 11:40AM

He is a idiot, and I dont like his big eared mogo...... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.