Home
THIS SITE
  About Phins.com
  Contact Us
  Staff
TEAM NEWS
  Team Info
  Twitter Feeds
  News Wire
  XML News
  Subscribe using any news reader
  News Articles
  Mobile News
  On Porpoise
GAMES
  Schedule
PERSONNEL
  Roster
  Depth Chart
  Training Camp
  Draft
FOR THE FANS
  Forums
  Places To Watch
  Dolphins Links
  Game Tickets
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute
  News Archive
  Past Games
  Transactions
  Past Rosters
SUPPORT PHINS.COM
  Dolphins Fan Shop
  Phins.com Apparel
 
-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com
 
  Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 03, 2011 11:35AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:06PM

That article contains the stupidest thing written in a south florida newspaper in a very long time:

"I’m not sure I’d call him a great broadcaster. He was no Phil Simms..."

Thank God he was no Phil Simms. Phil Simms is a great broadcaster? NO way, not even close.


Berardino is also a jerk to devote so much attention to the "out having a taco" quote which was overblown back when it happened.


I've been dreaming of Griese coaching ever since he retired as a player. It seemed so logical, the guy had command of the team as a QB, why not as a coach, and his level intelligence is off the charts.

The truth is, Griese was too smart to become a coach. Why deal with prima donnas on the roster when you can get paid good money to talk about the game instead?

I know I've said this about a few of the players from the old days ("I was lucky enough to meet _____"winking smiley. Well I never officially met or spoke directly with Bob but I was at a smallish charity event with him back in the late 1980s. An absolute class act in person, I'm here to tell everyone the obvious. You'd never know he was a star, he just gave the impression of a 'regular guy."

Best of luck Bob to whatever your future plans are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:08PM

his son sounds exactly like him on the broadcasts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: February 03, 2011 12:45PM

I like turtles.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 03, 2011 09:45PM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know I've said this about a few of the players
> from the old days ("I was lucky enough to meet
> _____"winking smiley. Well I never officially met or spoke
> directly with Bob but I was at a smallish charity
> event with him back in the late 1980s. An
> absolute class act in person, I'm here to tell
> everyone the obvious. You'd never know he was a
> star, he just gave the impression of a 'regular
> guy."
>
> Best of luck Bob to whatever your future plans
> are.

RESPONSE: In one of the few dark short periods he had as a Dolphin, I wrote him and told him about me following him since Purdue and he wrote back a personal short note thanking me for my support. A class act all the way and that business about the taco, well I already posted my response to that idiocy on this board.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 04, 2011 12:15AM

"I’m not sure I’d call him a great broadcaster. He was no Phil Simms..."

Lost me there. Phil Simms has the broadcasting talent of a carrot. And that's being mean to carrots.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:40AM

Met Griese several times at the Miami Airport while working for National Airlines. Always a nice guy. Quite and very professional. Bob worked for NAL in sales for a period of time as did Koch.

Don't remember any controversy from the players during that time. Bob was highly respected and a great leader. As far as I know he was well liked.

He did not have the personality of Koch or Namath. They liked to talk and joke around with us. Bob was just quite which gave some fans the idea that he was stuck up.

I wish him all the luck in the world. Brian does the Broncos games with Dave Logan. Good analyst.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:10AM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That article contains the stupidest thing written
> in a south florida newspaper in a very long time:
>
> "I’m not sure I’d call him a great
> broadcaster. He was no Phil Simms..."
>
> Thank God he was no Phil Simms. Phil Simms is a
> great broadcaster? NO way, not even close.
>
>
> Berardino is also a jerk to devote so much
> attention to the "out having a taco" quote which
> was overblown back when it happened.
>
>
> I've been dreaming of Griese coaching ever since
> he retired as a player. It seemed so logical, the
> guy had command of the team as a QB, why not as a
> coach, and his level intelligence is off the
> charts.
>
> The truth is, Griese was too smart to become a
> coach. Why deal with prima donnas on the roster
> when you can get paid good money to talk about the
> game instead?
>
> I know I've said this about a few of the players
> from the old days ("I was lucky enough to meet
> _____"winking smiley. Well I never officially met or spoke
> directly with Bob but I was at a smallish charity
> event with him back in the late 1980s. An
> absolute class act in person, I'm here to tell
> everyone the obvious. You'd never know he was a
> star, he just gave the impression of a 'regular
> guy."
>
> Best of luck Bob to whatever your future plans
> are.


I always liked Phil, and the comment Mr. Robert made was just idiotic. It was the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard the guy say. And yes, it made, makes, me wonder, is Bob really that stupid? He appears not to be, but, with commentary like that, those of us with smarts have to ask ourselves, Bob, are you completely a dope? Every effin time I saw him call a game after that, the damn remark would creep into my head, it bugged the hell out of me. Whatever. The comment failed on many levels, it’s just embarrassing. The comment was pig headed and wrong, his belief, if that’s what it was, was in complete error and could be defeated in argument by the most rudimentary of means.

Having said that, er, I love Bob. I thought he was a good broadcaster, and I’m surprised he’s leaving.

As a QB, the guy was great. He had arguably the greatest season ever by a Dolphin’s QB.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:18AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like turtles.


Me too!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:21AM

berkeley223 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I like turtles.
>
>
> Me too!!


Oh yeah? So what do you guys do with turtles? Creepy fetish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 07:43AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 04, 2011 08:40AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:16AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RESPONSE: Do you PERSONALLY know that Bob did not
> PERSONALLY know that the person he was speaking
> of, regardless of nationality and the fact that he
> was not Mexican, didn't JUST HAPPEN to PERSONALLY
> be a voracious taco-eater?
>
> I know a lot of Africans who love fried chicken, a
> dish that Black Americans are known to favor. So
> if a commentator who knew one of those Africans
> and knew he liked fried chicken, said, "I don't
> know where is but he is probably somewhere eating
> fried chicken," then people like you would come
> down on the commentator for assuming that all
> Blacks like fried chicken and even worse, this guy
> was not a Black American but a Kenyan where they
> don't eat fried chicken.
>
> Obviously, when you get caught in a media
> whirlwind as Bob was, your advisors tell you that
> the best thing to do is end it immediately and
> that is by apologizing because even if your excuse
> is true, it will come off as an excuse.
>
> But why would you go completely turkey-wild
> without knowing that fact yourself, which I doubt
> you know?


Your premise is utterly ridiculous, it really is. And it’s, I would think, purposefully convoluted, and the whole thing about “chicken,” which is a paragraph I couldn’t finish reading, is tinged with prejudice.

My argument is not with you; my argument is with myself, for believing that Bob was a more complete human.

Bob’s belief was that appearing to be something he’s not, is just as good as being something he’s not.

Bob clearly dismisses the entire discipline of history, he revealed a surprisingly jingoistic attitude, he showed a shallow reading of culture and politics, and religion, and his own damn business, which, if he were as intelligent as he appeared to be, he would not have. I for one, as a Dolphins fan, expected more of Bob. And I still love him anyway, I know he’s a good man, but it was a stupid thing to say, and revealed his gross ignorance. Embarrassing.

PS – I love fried chicken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:20AM

I like tacos. And turtles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:22AM

Turtle tacos

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 09:29AM

yum!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:21AM

montequi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Turtle tacos


WTF do you even eat turtles. I know you eat snakes..I know some people that ate snakes they said that it taste like pork..

But i never heard of people eating turtles.

Turtle tacos...?

Maybe turtles tastes like chicken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 04, 2011 11:58AM

turtle soup

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: February 04, 2011 04:15PM

There are some people, cough, that I have no idea who they would be but I've heard that sometimes, before they were put on the endangered species list, Green Turtles made the best Turtle Soup on the planet. I assume turtle meat tastes like alligator meat, which to me tastes like chicken.

As for the BoB "taco" comment, I think people need to start learning to laugh at themselves in this country a little bit, or we're in for a long, bleak future of PC television and ridiculous slander lawsuits. Bleh.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 04, 2011 06:20PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 04, 2011 10:46PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 05, 2011 02:51AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> seadevil Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > Your premise is utterly ridiculous, it really
> is.
> > And it’s, I would think, purposefully
> > convoluted,
>
> RESPONSE: The premise is ridiculous and
> convoluted? Let's see. The premise is that Bob,
> who worked with this guy, might have known that
> the guy liked tacos.
>
> Hmmm. Let's see. I am a Black man who is a
> VORACIOUS fried chicken eater. If anyone asked
> where I was, any body who knew me would probably
> say, "He's probably somewhere eating fried
> chicken." Now that would be my Black friends as
> well. So much for your "convoluted" theory.
>
>
>
> and the whole thing about
> > “chicken,” which is a paragraph I
> couldn’t
> > finish reading, is tinged with prejudice.
>
> RESPONSE: Yup, I guess I'm prejudiced against
> myself and my own race.
>
>
> >
> > My argument is not with you; my argument is
> with
> > myself, for believing that Bob was a more
> complete
> > human.
> >
> > Bob’s belief was that appearing to be
> something
> > he’s not, is just as good as being something
> > he’s not.
> >
> > Bob clearly dismisses the entire discipline of
> > history, he revealed a surprisingly jingoistic
> > attitude, he showed a shallow reading of
> culture
> > and politics, and religion, and his own damn
> > business, which, if he were as intelligent as
> he
> > appeared to be, he would not have. I for one, as
> a
> > Dolphins fan, expected more of Bob. And I still
> > love him anyway, I know he’s a good man, but
> it
> > was a stupid thing to say, and revealed his
> gross
> > ignorance. Embarrassing.
>
>
> RESPONSE: All of this is based on your ASSUMPTION
> that he was not speaking from knowledge of the
> guy's personal habits. How do you know? Oh,
> that's right. You never came back with a
> statement that it was reported in the press that
> Bob knew nothing of this guy's personal eating
> habits EVEN THOUGH MOST OF US WHO WORK EVERY DAY
> WITH PEOPLE AND EAT LUNCH WITH THEM END UP KNOWING
> WHAT FOOD THEY EAT.) But oh, I forgot that is
> convoluted to think that or to even entertain the
> idea.
> >
> > PS – I love fried chicken.
> RESPONSE: Well, is that meant to say that you are
> White? ERR.... see the above. Of course, in your
> view anybody who said that about me would have to
> be racist because they would be assuming that
> since I'm Black, that is the only reason anyone
> would say that I loved fried chicken.eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley






I suggest that you brief yourself on the facts of the case.

Bob Griese was a broadcaster in the employ of ESPN at the time. Juan Pablo Montoya was (is) a NASCAR driver.

It is ludicrous to suggest that Griese was aware of Montoya’s eating habits or any particular culinary predilection Montoya might have had.

Bob has apologized on-air, twice.

My argument is not that Bob is racist; I don’t think he is.

What Bob revealed though, is that he probably had (has?) huge swaths of information missing from his knowledge banks.


The “fried chicken” references are fraught with the perpetuation of racial stereotypes. Stereotypes that are meant to demean.

ChyrenB, I don’t care what color you are, I just don’t. It garners no favor with me, and attempting to make me aware of your color, or race, does not strengthen your argument.

Most folks are mixed anyway, and the future generations, if humanity survives, will be even more.

And you have no idea what color I am; as if it even mattered, you have no idea what gender I am either.


Wanna know what sucks? I’m a Bob Griese fan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 04:39AM

Dam now that i remember i went to beni hanas restaurant or however you spell it last saturday with the old lady and i had some vegetble brown soup that tasted funny. It wasnt that bad so i just ate it or drank it.

Maybe it was turtle soup.

You know how they say how a cat never walks by a chinese restaurant....?
Or else? CHOP CHOP.

Again maybe it was turtle soup afterall.

PS. Chinese people are one of the nicest people you can ever meet. So im cool with them. I just never ever let them put meat on my chinese rice thats all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 04:43AM

The table is the stove and they cook the food right there in front of you. They are funny as hell. We had a wonderfull time and im thinking of going again.

First the soup. then A salad.....After that they give you a shripm apetiser...Then the main course....I order shripm and chicken my wife ordered....Steak chopped into little pieces...

Plus the chinese rice ....Which is white rice....eggs.....onions....and to top it off they put chopped chicken...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: February 05, 2011 04:53AM

benihana is awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: February 05, 2011 08:08AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 05, 2011 10:07AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: seadevil ()
Date: February 05, 2011 02:51PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> seadevil Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> > I suggest that you brief yourself on the facts
> of
> > the case.
> >
> > Bob Griese was a broadcaster in the employ of
> ESPN
> > at the time. Juan Pablo Montoya was (is) a
> NASCAR
> > driver.
> >
> > It is ludicrous to suggest that Griese was
> aware
> > of Montoya’s eating habits or any particular
> > culinary predilection Montoya might have had.
>
> RESPONSE: So you KNOW that Bob Griese didn't KNOW
> PERSONALLY what the person eats because Bob is
> from the Football world and Montoya is from the
> race driving world and you KNOW they aren't
> friends? You are evading the point. Just say you
> or cite authority for your statement or admit you
> were wrong in jumping to conclusions without
> evidence.


You are attempting to cloud the issue by focusing on an insignificant detail, as in this bit of nit-picking about me knowing "personally" whether Bob actually knew Montoya’s eating wants.

Know what a Reasonable Standard is? Apply it at this juncture. Ever heard of a Preponderance of Evidence? Apply it here.

Bob Griese was suspended for a week by ESPN. Bob Griese had legal council (and agency representation). Bob Griese did not fight the suspension.

ESPN spokesperson Josh Krulewitz stated at the time that, Bob “understands the comment was inappropriate.”

Bob did not dispute ESPN’s statement.





> > Bob has apologized on-air, twice.
>
> RESPONSE: I already covered this. Obviously, as
> I said, he was told to apologize and move on.


So you’re alleging that Bob Griese’s apology wasn’t genuine?

You’re accusing Bob Griese of being a liar, an odious declaration.

Why did Bob lie? What was he hiding?

What else did Bob lie about? Tell us more.





> YOU ARE PROOF OF THIS YOURSELF. YOU REFUSE TO
> EVEN SLIGHTLY CONSIDER THAT IT WAS A PERSONAL
> COMMENT AND YOU DON'T KNOW SH*T ABOUT THE REAL
> FACTS AND CAN CARE LESS. That is why the apology
> to me does not say, yeah, I did it because of his
> race.


Hmm, quite the showman, but, it makes it difficult to hear when you’re yelling. Your yelling is a ploy to give more emotional intensity to what is probably an inadequate position.

Yelling is also a form of bullying. You’re attempting to bully me, so primal.

There is much literature out now on bullying. And anger management too.

There is much information about these topics online too. Or one could ask a physician too, probably.




> > My argument is not that Bob is racist; I
> don’t
> > think he is.
>
> > What Bob revealed though, is that he probably
> had
> > (has?) huge swaths of information missing from
> his
> > knowledge banks.
>
>
> RESPONSE: No, YOU are the one with "huge swaths
> of information missing from his knowledge banks,"
> because you're sitting upo here talking about
> something that you don't even know about.
>
> When you first came on this board, you didn't even
> bother to learn about the "quote" function and the
> other posters thought you were insane from your
> postings which made no sense.
>
> Did I jump in and criticize you? No. I felt
> there must be something else at work besides the
> fact that you were a nut like everybody else
> thought. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and
> told you about the "quote" function.
>
> But I should have and would have left you alone
> had I known that you would probably be the LAST
> person in the world to give the benefit of the
> doubt to anyone else.



You know, I did say, “thanks” (if I remember correctly). I’m not in the position to give medals, or even send thank-you cards.

Why are you saying that everyone here hates me? Is it an attempt to make me feel ostracized, to pressure me not to post?

If you were a dictator, you could crush all dissent; you could have me killed, presumably. If I were your spouse, you could bully me, and abuse me, hit me in the mouth I guess.



> > The “fried chicken” references are fraught
> > with the perpetuation of racial stereotypes.
> > Stereotypes that are meant to demean.
> >
> > ChyrenB, I don’t care what color you are, I
> just
> > don’t. It garners no favor with me
> > Most folks are mixed anyway, and the future
> > generations, if humanity survives, will be even
> > more.
> >
> > And you have no idea what color I am; as if it
> > even mattered, you have no idea what gender I
> am
> > either.
> >
>
>
> RESPONSE: I'm not trying to get any damn favors
> with you. You accused me of being a racist by
> making stereotypes against Blacks. And you did so
> ASSUMING I was White, which most posters know is
> not true. And when I nailed you, you try to be
> sanctimonious and turn the conversation back to me
> trying to garner favor with you. Why in the hell
> would I want to garner favor with you. You have
> little or no credibility on this board? Who the
> hell do you think you are? Someone whose opinion
> is worthy of deference?


You “nailed” me? How provocative.

Everything that transpired in this thread is here for all to see. Your intent is to have me deemed incompetent by readers, and to also change the subject from Bob Griese’s behavior, to my competence.

The old “you have no credibility” trope.





> , and
> > attempting to make me aware of your color, or
> > race, does not strengthen your argument.
>
> RESPONSE: Again, Bozo, go back and read you
> accusing me of being racist against Blacks. And
> you brought up "I like fried chicken" obviously to
> argue that "Well, I'm White and I like fried
> chicken so Hispanics are not the only ones who eat
> tacos and all Hispanics don't necessarily like
> tacos."


Name calling is a form of bullying and verbal abuse. Vilifying me doesn’t clear Bob.


I would have forgotten about this whole thing, but now, after speaking with you, I may have to start a campaign. I mean, with Bob lying and all. I could start a website, tweet it maybe.

I wonder if there is any way to open an investigation of Bob Griese, to get to the truth, once and for all, to get to the truth.

In lieu of your testimony that Griese is a dirty liar, I think an investigation would be fair.

After all, why should Dolphins fans be subjected to Robert the Liar? Beelzebub Bob is he?

But, you’re right, I’m starting to see the light, Bob Griese lied.




> > Wanna know what sucks? I’m a Bob Griese fan.
>
>
> RESPONSE: With friends like you, who needs
> enemies. If it were even a distant cousin, would
> you at least need to know what was the basis of
> the statement? No, not you. You go off on people
> without knowing the facts. And just because most
> of the rest of the world does so at the drop of
> the hat does not excuse you.


“More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction.” W. Allen

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 05, 2011 03:41PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too bad we already hired a QB coach...
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 05, 2011 08:44PM

Forgive me, BobT, but no man is a saint and everyone can only take so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2


Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     
   
Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England
TOP
   
© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.