HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Is it Henning or execution?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Is it Henning or execution?
Posted by: Crowder52 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:20AM

Poll
Who is to blame for the lack of success on offense this year
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
26 votes were received.
Lack of execution by Ricky and Ronnie 1

4%
Lack of execution by Offensive Line 3

12%
Lack of execution by QB 0

0%
Lack of execution by WR's and TE's 1

4%
Lousy play calling by Henning 12

46%
a little bit of all of the above 9

34%

Ok, so I am going to start this out by saying that this year, the plays Henning has called doesnt seem to work at all and seems to put us in bad positions consistently... But it got me thinking back on the last 2 years of his play calling, and when comparing it all, it seems that what has changed is execution, primarily in the running game.
For example.

The last 2 years Henning consistentyl ran on first downs and even second downs. The difference is the last 2 years we would gain on avg about 4 yards a run. So when we ran on the first 2 downs, It would put us into a third and short. WHich is a great position to be in as an offense. The defense doesnt know if you are going to run again for an easy first down or use the playaction to go deep. It keeps the defense honest.. They have to play the run.

Fast forward to this year. we run on the first 2 downs unsuccessfully, consistently putting us into third and long. WHich is a position the defense knows,is most likely a screen or pass of some sort, they are not kept honest and do not play the run at all... Then the run is so bad and we are playing behind as it was against Chicago that we all together abandon the run The defense plays the pass all night and we get killed with a young QB.

I know everyone wants to bag on Henning, and maybe you guys are right, that he has failed to adapt with this team and develop game plans that can be successfull this year. But to be honest the same game planning he did to make us go 11-5 in 2008, is the same strategies he is using today. The difference, is execution, and specifically related to the lack of push from the offenseive line and how it relates to success in the run game IMO..

So bag on Henning all you guys want and maybe you guys are right, however I think it is more about the lack of execution in the running game, which has had led to lack of success in completing third downs and keeping the ball moving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 11:24AM by Crowder52.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it Henning or execution?
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:25AM

Of course it's a little bit of everything. Our WRs have dropped balls. Henne missed some open receiver. Ronnie's been slow, and both have had fumble issues. Our O-Line hasn't been strong because of injuries and lack of cohesion.

BUT....a good portion of this falls on Henning. Henning in practice. Henning during the game. Henning not using our talent correctly. Henning not getting players completely ready for the game.

I think, with a new OC, we could see a major turnaround in the offense.

Date: November 23, 2010 11:34AM

I think Henning could be successful if we had a much better offensive line as we did last year. The lack of success from the offensive line in the urnning game has just destroyed the execution of everybody. We never develop the rhythmn, that you get when you can run the ball well.

It is like a basket ball player shooting hot after a nice pass and rhythmn from the other players pass. We are the guy trying to take it to the hole against the whole team every play,,,,just doesnt work. You need rhythmn and momentum, In basketball if you dont pass well you dont have it. In the nfl if you dont run well, you dont have it

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 23, 2010 11:34AM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 23, 2010 12:32PM

Great execution takes practice and talent. When you look at old tapes of the Dolphins in the 71-74 time period, you will see just how synchronized the offense line was in running or passing plays. It's a far cry from many of the teams today. The current Dolphins have not mastered their blocks and it shows in the running game. If the O-line has enough time playing together, harmony and synchronization may occur. I hope it does.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2010 02:14PM by colonel.

Posted by: 561_Dolphins ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:07PM

A little bit of everything, my friend

The playcalling against the Bears was horrifying, but in all seriousness nothing went right to the exception of a few good defensive stands. We cant run the ball AT ALL to the right side because Vernon Carey SUCKS, and now our best player Jake Long is hurt.

The whole team is in disarray, period

Posted by: razorghost ()
Date: November 23, 2010 01:15PM

ROFL at first glance I thought this was a thread about executing Dan Henning!

I was thinking for second there execution, that's a little extreme lol!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 23, 2010 02:20PM

Date: November 23, 2010 02:32PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 23, 2010 02:46PM

The McKay quote is one of my favorite sports quotes of all time.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 23, 2010 05:19PM

Though I voted the Henning one, I'm sure it's everything.

However, Henning is in a better position than anyone else to adjust in order to be successful. Ricky and Ronnie can't all the sudden get shiftier and faster to the outside since our interior OL isn't as strong. Our interior OL isn't going to magically get as good as they were last year. Henne can't throw a short slant if Marshall is the only receiver going into a pattern and it's a longer-to-develop type.

This is why I blame Henning more than anyone else. I don't think Henne is as bad as the playcalling has made him look. Ricky & Ronnie might get in some rhythm if their number was called more than 3 times per game.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 23, 2010 10:22PM

I voted for all the above (there does seem to be some execution issues), but the play calling is absolutely horrendous and very predictable.

Henning should be the first to go. There's no doubt about it. If this doesn't happen, this team won't go anywhere and will continue to suck on offense.

Date: November 24, 2010 12:48PM

I am just not sure you can blame the lack of success running the ball on Henning. And all of the other problems, stem from that. If you replace Henning and dont solve the running game problem, you solve nothing IMO. When you are designed to be a running team and you cant execute the running game, You are going to lose more then you are going to win.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: November 24, 2010 12:54PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am just not sure you can blame the lack of
> success running the ball on Henning. And all of
> the other problems, stem from that. If you replace
> Henning and dont solve the running game problem,
> you solve nothing IMO. When you are designed to be
> a running team and you cant execute the running
> game, You are going to lose more then you are
> going to win.

Problem is we should not be "designed" to be a running team. Having a great running game and being a "running" team is different. We need to run and pass just as all the playoff teams do. Add a great defense and you compete to win the SB.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:26PM

Crowder52 Wrote:
> I am just not sure you can blame the lack of
> success running the ball on Henning. And all of
> the other problems, stem from that. If you replace
> Henning and dont solve the running game problem,
> you solve nothing IMO. When you are designed to be
> a running team and you cant execute the running
> game, You are going to lose more then you are
> going to win.

I also think Henning could get a little more creative in the running game, more pitch-outs, bounce stuff outside, spread the field with 4/5 WR sets then run, (even though they are passes) why not some shuttles and screens?. To just keep trying to be a power running game up the middle is suicide with this current OL. Coming off the debacle Thurs night and with 10 days to prepare, I would expect us to have a better running game this Sunday.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 25, 2010 03:56AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Coming off the
> debacle Thurs night and with 10 days to prepare, I
> would expect us to have a better running game this
> Sunday.

With Berger and Incognito back at their regular positions, you can count on the fact that our running game will be better. On the other hand, if Berger goes down again, prepare for another disaster.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: November 25, 2010 06:16AM

I think a lot of our problems stem from the weird machinations that the O-line went through in camp. Things like cutting a somewhat injury-prone Jake Grove in favor of Joe Berger. It was widely posted on this site that Grove was clearly the better center. So, why didn't the coaches have Grove play until he got hurt(if he did), and then play Berger? We end up with backups like Pat McQuistan(borderline lousy) and Lydon Murtha?!? They don't even trust this guy to block on "special" teams because he's terrible! Why is he still here? Also, we've had a revolving door for one young O-lineman after another for "depth". Who the hell is Matt Kopa? Some rookie tackle out of Stanford that nobody's ever heard of? What difference does it make anyway, it'll be somebody else next week. With Nate Garner on IR and now Cory Procter(whom the jury is still out on) hurt and not playing, along with Jake Long essentially playing with one arm, saying that our O-line is in disarray is putting it mildly. Everything starts with the offensive line. It all started in camp, and now we're paying for it. I blame it on Mr. Offensive Line Coach, Tony Sparano.
As for the execution of Dan Henning, as John McKay would say, I'm all for it.

Rick

Date: November 25, 2010 06:26AM

Agree. Bring back Scott Linehan!

Rick

Date: November 25, 2010 06:30AM

This all goes back to the inexplicable cutting of Jake Grove. At worst, he would have lasted a while before Berger had to take over.

Rick

Date: November 25, 2010 07:22AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 25, 2010 09:35AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> This all goes back to the inexplicable cutting of
> Jake Grove. At worst, he would have lasted a while
> before Berger had to take over.

but who knows how fragile Grove really was when he got cut. Maybe he couldn't last one game. Remember, no other team has picked him up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.