Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bad QB or victim of a "sophomore slump"?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Bad QB or victim of a "sophomore slump"?
Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 21, 2010 08:01AM

Poll
Should Henne be the starting QB for Miami in 2011?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
27 votes were received.
Yes 16

59%
No 6

22%
Depends on who we draft. 5

19%

Everyone on this site has strong feelings about our QB situation in Miami. Those feelings, whether negative or positive, get magnified when speaking specifically of Chad Henne. After sitting a year behind the now paper mache form of Chad Pennington, Henne was given the reigns to our franchise, and showed promise. Enough promise to warrant praise in the form of people believing the search for a franchise QB was over.

Fast forward to now, Miami's playoff hopes seemingly dead, and fans are filled with doubt that the QB position is anything but solidified. I, a fan for life and as passionate as they come, still have hope in Henne. I'm looking at this year as Henne's second in reality. He sat his first. Some people would argue that point but I think play time is what we're factoring in this discussion, not time between the time he was drafted and now.

So, after a seemingly promising first year in which everyone seemingly appointed Henne as the future of the position, is he simply having that dreaded sophomore slump? Or are we watching him cap his potential on the field as a seemingly backup caliber player that doesn't have that all important "it" factor that is required for a player to go from serviceable to great? I don't have the answer to this question, and regrettably think that the only way to find out is more time under center next season. Henne haters will cringe at the idea of starting another season with him as the QB of our offense, but I think they need to get used to this idea. This organization will not dump Henne too soon, unlike all precedence set previously with other players. Henne is Ross's man, and I think you will see Sparano's exit before you see Henne's. That's simply an opinion, feel free to take me to task on it.

This season has shown me something very important about the NFL of today. I think the two most important positions in any organization is 1)the starting QB and 2)the OC. The latter has severely hindered the progress of our starting QB. Henning and his play calling really need to go. If the horrid showing on Thursday night didn't cement that idea into the readers head, I don't know that anything ever will. While I don't have the answers to our problems, I can identify Henning as one of the biggest issues with this team. We have one of the top 5 WR's in the game, our TE is a hot hand this season. We have the best slot receiver in the game(arguably), and two very serviceable RB's, along with a pro-bowl caliber FB. Why this team can't put points on the board falls solely on this coaching staff and it's inability to get the most from the talent it has. Solution? My knee jerk solution would be to fire the OC, and bring in outside help. Do not promote from within. Again, the choice of bringing in outside help versus promoting from within is simply an opinion, feel free to disagree.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad QB or victim of a "sophomore slump"?
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 21, 2010 08:39AM

Henne should be starting regardless of who we draft...if in fact we draft a quarterback.

Henne has started a total of 21 games so he is in effect an early second year player regardless of when he was drafted. Beyond that he has had playing time of "some amount" in a total of 26 games in his career.

He has not had much in the way of help this season and he has despite it all, put up some really good numbers at times. He has also "at times" made some great throws. He has made mistakes and he has a lot of room for improvement but he won't unless he's playing. He needs to have more help added around him and to have to offensive line finally fixed.

The defense isn't helping enugh to offset the gaffes made by the offense and finally we need a new system on offense...Henning and his conservative style need to go.

In short, Henne has the tools in his toolbox. He just needs the assistance, time, experience to use them properly and to their maximum benefit.

This team needs more speed, playmakers, a few additional starters, and quite a bit of high quality depth.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 21, 2010 09:34AM

He can be judged to be neither the victim of a Sophomore slump or a bad QB.

He is the victim of having a bad team around him and a worse offensive coordinator.

Once he's around a team that doesn't so totally suck, we can then determine whether he sucks.

So right now, instead of getting rid of someone who might go to another team and become an all-pro, let's first get rid of this whole coaching regime and get some better surrounding cast players and then see.

I would not waste another draft choice on a QB unless it is in the 7th round. (But we should be on the look out for late round 'projects').

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 21, 2010 10:25AM

We just go for Andrew luck at all cost, then acquire top WR's that are already established. We should build like the jets did. Buy the talent. Won't matter no football next year I'm hoping.

Posted by: Krunk Fu ()
Date: November 21, 2010 11:28AM

Regardless of whether or not Henne is the future of this franchise, he absolutely should not be abandoned quite yet. Henne was groomed in a very specific way, and upon taking that route, the team was inherently setting certain milestones in his development.

Let's all remember that guy was only supposed to have played a handful of games at this point in his career.

Thus, based on HOW he was being tutored and trained, he should not be truly judged until the end of next year. At that point, if he still hasn't matured as a QB, we should go in a different direction.

Posted by: dolfan1 ()
Date: November 21, 2010 11:37AM

Ugh, next year. I cant wait that long! We need to put a winner in their now. I'd rather have thigy

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: November 21, 2010 12:59PM

Hopefully it is a bad year and we pick a bunch of OL players

Passing on Brees twice just shows the intelligence of our GM's

A top QB like Brady & Manning make a huge difference. Luck is that kind of QB, Locker might be. Newton could be Vick or Vince Young like.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 22, 2010 04:12AM

For 2011 it depends on how training camp goes. I personally don't think we should put QB at the top of our drafting priority list, but if Luck or whoever falls in our lap we should take it. We should also consider trading for one.

Then it would come down to how training camp goes. Will Henne have shown additional progress by then or still show some bad habits. If any QB in camp shows more potential than him at the time, that should be our starter.

But odds are it will be Henne.

Posted by: g_fish55 ()
Date: November 22, 2010 05:23AM

dolfan1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ugh, next year. I cant wait that long! We need to
> put a winner in their now. I'd rather have thigy

Yeah because thiggy has won so much more than henne has...

"It's been fun to get the reaction of visiting coaches to the color of their locker room. Most don't notice it, but those that do are in trouble. . . . When I talk to an opposing coach before a game and he mentions the pink walls, I know I've got him. I can't recall a coach who has stirred up a fuss about the color and then beat us.” Hayden Fry

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: November 22, 2010 06:58PM

Of the 5 people who voted "depending on who we draft", I'd like to hear if this is your vote because you believe we might grab a QB that could replace Henne at QB1.

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: November 22, 2010 07:02PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:20PM

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 24, 2010 01:33PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 25, 2010 02:28AM

I'm all for letting CH have a chance. (To date he's started 21 games for the Dolphins). If he is healthy, he should finish the season as the QB and should start each game. However, I suggest that Thigpen be worked diligently in practice to be inserted into the game if CH is unable to score TDs. We'd have nothing to lose giving that a try. I'd even platoon the two if Thigpen could make it happen in the red zone.

We'd all gain confidence in CH if he were able to orchestrate TDs. Most of us "doubtors" would become energized and start to believe in him. I would think that scoring would also energize him as well as team members and the coaching staff.

If he has Drew Brees' capabilities, we'd be sitting pretty for a number of years. Brees' skill set continued to improve, game after game. It would be great to see the same improvements with CD. Scoring...got to score TDs.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: November 26, 2010 07:23AM

When the news “leaked-out” that Parcells was “disappointed” in Henne it became immediately obvious this regime has serious reservations about his ability to handle the NFL game. And keep in mind this regime doesn’t let ANYTHING slip like that accidentally. It was a deliberate bit of “news,” and it was very strategic.

So we were told, before the season even started, that Henne was NOT living up to expectations – and for that reason the TEAM is behind on the development curve.

Henne has the look of a classic journeymen – a career “back-up” who simply doesn’t have what it takes to be a franchise QB. Among other flaws he’s a “slow” one trick pony with NO touch, no pocket sense, poor feet, on and off accuracy, questionable decision making, and highly suspect field vision. But of course some homers still think he’s a diamond in process.

Not.

But the real problem here is the simple fact this regime bet way too heavily on Henne and now we don’t have a legit QB on the roster. That means its back to the drawing board yet again to solve this most critical position. So how far have we come in 3 years with these clowns?

Not very.

Would we really be that much worse off with Cam and Co.? Perhaps, but at least Cam understood today’s NFL is about offensive production. Our Offense is right at the very BOTTOM.

Not good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 07:31AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 26, 2010 07:52AM

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: November 26, 2010 08:16AM

Oh golly grow up... Henne is simply best trash they have, that's all. CP's arm was paperclipped on and the KNEW that as well!

Thigpen? A KC cast-off as a legit challange? Are you nuts?

That's my point -- this regime bet on Henne with NO LEGIT alternative...

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: November 26, 2010 08:51AM

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 28, 2010 08:06AM

The thing I wonder about is this...if Pennington got hurt simply by throwing his first pass how much did the medical staff know about his shoulder and how much did the coaches know about his health?

I realize that freak injuries happen all of the time but when a player has a history such as Pennington it would only seem to be prudent to over-analize his condition.

I also wonder if they used Pennington knowing all the while he wouldn't hold up as a kick in the A$$ for Henne.

Obviously we'll never know...

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 28, 2010 02:37PM

Pennington is an egg. And unfortunately for him, his career has been cracked.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.