HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Long needs surgery.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Long needs surgery.
Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 16, 2010 05:55AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long needs surgery.
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 06:00AM

At 5 and 4, I don't see how you can "shut it down." Thigpen's mobility helps if Long is out. I would assume that if Jake can't go, they'll move Carey to LT, and play a combination of McQuistan and Murtha at RT. Huge downgrade on both sides but, in the words of Herm Edwards, you play to win the game. Jake is a tough guy, so I'm not ready to count him out just yet.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 16, 2010 06:18AM

I just think losing our best player (best LT in the league!!) as well as our top 2 QBs is devastating (and our top pass rusher is hobbled as well). I'm never a proponent of losing on purpose, but I could see us doing things now (calling certain plays, playing rookies) that we wouldn't do if we were truly in the playoff hunt. We showed that in the Titans game. I see it as a form of experimentation, where evaluation of your talent and team (including coaches) takes precedence over winning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:18AM by montequi.

Posted by: BigNastyFish ()
Date: November 16, 2010 06:42AM

He’s already had shoulder surgery and had a history of that in college (not many know about but he let it slip last summer in an interview). I don’t know if it was R or L but this (a recurrence) is bad news for the future of his career.

IMO they souldn't jepordize his career for the sake of this season because we're not going anywhere anyway. But of course the regime is trying to save itself so they'll push him to play IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:43AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 06:49AM

I think the experimentation was more a by-product of injuries. Clemons was dinged up and Reshad Jones was told he would get some reps. Quenton Moses was in because Cam Wake was hurt. I refuse to believe that a team of professionals would play for anything less than victory. From what I understand, Cam is hurting but ok. Jake may try to tough it out. Henne could come back soon, but may have the luxury of resting if Thigpen plays well. Playoffs may be a remote possibility but in addition to improving the overall talent of a team, you have to also change the culture. Miami hasn't won a playoff game since I believe they beat the Colts in the game where Lamar Smith had over 200 yards in overtime. Winning breeds confidence and more winning. We have a lot of younger players on the team that need to learn how to win.

Date: November 16, 2010 07:38AM

I hope he doesnt play this game
It's not worth risking the next 10 years for 1 game
Let him rest 1 game

Date: November 16, 2010 07:51AM

With a history of shoulder surgeries going back into college and now in the Pro’s I’d say a 10-year career may not be in the cards anyway.

This reminds me too much of Odricks broken leg and this teams absolute love affair with BIG MEN. Bigger may be better but guys that break down are not that valuable long term. IMO we need to pay attention to injury history a bit more in our draft analysis.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 07:52AM by BigNastyFish.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: November 16, 2010 07:53AM

I don't know what your point is, BNF...

Date: November 16, 2010 08:01AM

My point is ignoring injuries in college that have reoccurred in the Pros. Specifically 2 or this regimes 3 number one’s drafted.

Case #1: Jake Long – Shoulder History and Surgery in college.

Case 2: Odrick – broken leg with steel rod in college.

Do you SEE a pattern here? I certainly do and I don’t like it.

Date: November 16, 2010 08:06AM

No.

I don't see a pattern...not yet.

You selected two arbitrary players...it isn't a pattern unless you can show that we consistently draft players with histories of injuries.

Then compare that to players that other teams draft.

Plus, this is football. Injuries happen all the time. I don't think there is a single player who HASN'T been hurt at some point.

Date: November 16, 2010 08:23AM

Wow... You're right, there's no pattern in drfating 2 out of 3 #1's with injury concerns and surgeries in college who broke down with the SAME ISSUE in the Pro's.

Seriously???

Posted by: Welead ()
Date: November 16, 2010 08:57AM

Big Nasty, I agree with you. I also see a pattern of certain posters to disagree with you or agree with you no matter what facts you present.

Date: November 16, 2010 09:13AM

Yea, I sees that one too. What are there a bunch of kids on here?

I love the TEAM not the regime nor its numerous mistakes, but I think some of those rascals actually post on here defending their decisions and such. That or relatives...

smiling smiley

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 10:47AM

BigNastyFish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yea, I sees that one too. What are there a bunch
> of kids on here?
>
> I love the TEAM not the regime nor its numerous
> mistakes, but I think some of those rascals
> actually post on here defending their decisions
> and such. That or relatives...
>
> smiling smiley

Yes there is a bunch of kids on here JC isnt one of them though.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:13AM

Yes we need to let long get the surgery and heal up in time for training camp.

No need to further do it now and waste the future service's of the best LT in the league.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:33AM

If you are a scientist and you have 25 samples of something and you only present two of them to a committee and try to tell them you detect some sort of pattern, they'd tell you to go back to your lab and test all the samples then come back with real results.

Same thing applies here...if you're trying to make an argument then cover your bases.

I'm not disagreeing just to disagree...go look at all of the guys we drafted and then let us know if they had histories of injuries and are/were hurt in the NFL.

You may very well be right about this, but by only citing two arbitrary examples, you just don't have much of an argument.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:35AM

Futt you make a good point.

Date: November 16, 2010 12:49PM

#1's are NOT "arbitrary" IMO. And how many "samples" of no. 1 picks does it take to form a viable deduction?

Perhaps and consider, maybe we cut Cam and Co. too soon by your measure? I mean 1 single season can't be a viable sample either.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with holding this regime accountable, and others have put forth a series of questions regarding their moves that cut to issue as well. I just think it's entirely relevant to question drafting BIG DUDES #1 who have legit injury issues. Sure you can get lucky once in a while but I don't think the percentages are good with injury histories -- and when the SAME issue in college reappears in the Pros, well that is a BIG FLAG to me!

Now getting back to Jake, the kid is tuff but should we put him on the field with a injury? This isn't like a bruise or muscle pull. If he ruins that shoulder his CAREER IS OVER! They knew his history when they drafted him and now they need to cut the shit and get it fixed and hope that's the end of it. To put him in jeopardy is negligence IMO (if indeed the injury runs the risk I’m talking about).

Date: November 16, 2010 12:55PM

And just to make it perfectly clear. I vote to give this regime one more season to pull things together. But I want the QB position underscored as THE NO1 PRIORITY, a NEW OC who is a QB maven, and more openess and transparency in the way they operate.

That's my hope.

Date: November 16, 2010 01:18PM

So basically you have no argument and just wanted to rant. If so that's fine...I'm all for it...just want to be clear on where you stand.

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:13PM

Just curious BigNasty, are you saying Long was a bad pick?

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:35PM

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 02:53PM

sorry, can someone point to anything anywhere that said long was an injury risk? I never heard that before the draft or at any time other than this board following the titan's game. he's never been hurt for us to this point and as far as I know wasn't injury prone in college.

that said wasn't an injured labrum justin smiley's injury? if so that's bad news, he never was able to shake that.

Date: November 16, 2010 02:58PM

Berkeley you have a point I mean I never looked into it, but never was pointed out that he is injury prone, jus that didnt he fall out of a building in college?

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 16, 2010 03:42PM

But, Justin Smiley wasnt able to shake any injury.

The injury bug never left Smiley, he was always hurt. He definately did have a past injury risk.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: November 16, 2010 04:42PM

right, but maybe a labrum injury like the one long has is one you just don't shake if you are a OL. man I hope not that would suck big time!

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: November 17, 2010 02:05AM

Yeah, Jake Long is on his way to being a Hall of Famer and going down as one of the greatest left tackles to ever play the game.

He is undeniably, by far and away, our best player.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: ghotirule ()
Date: November 17, 2010 04:17AM

Date: November 17, 2010 04:18AM

Date: November 17, 2010 04:24AM

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.