HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Balls call of the year!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Balls call of the year!
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: September 18, 2010 07:03PM

Did anyone see that Mich St./ND finish? Wow the State coach has a set on him! 4th and long from the 30 in O.T., ND kicked the FG so there up 3, he sets up for the long FG to tie and calls a perfectly executed fake, I fricking loved it! I hate ND! Ballsiest call i've seen in a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balls call of the year!
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: September 19, 2010 02:46AM

I saw it. I hate ND too....Brian Kelly looked in total shock!!!

Posted by: Mia1 ()
Date: September 19, 2010 03:40AM

Why the hate for ND? Its a awsome school with fantastic history.

Its not a state university, in fact it even has a cheezy movie after it lol.... Rudy was awsome show some respect!!!!

Date: September 19, 2010 03:54AM

I hate it because I live a little over an hour away and it's shoved down my throat in the media and with the fans. Plus it's fun to hate em

Date: September 19, 2010 03:55AM

I dont know I mean Notre Dame, to me if I was a book savvy man, would be my school of choice.

Date: September 19, 2010 04:05AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hate it because I live a little over an hour
> away and it's shoved down my throat in the media
> and with the fans. Plus it's fun to hate em

F' Notre Dame. Too good to join a conference. Act better than everyone else. Get special treatment all the time. Overhyped. Overrated. School hasn't been good in football since 1988!! Tim Brown got handed a Heisman he didn't deserve just because he went there when he wasn't a top 2 candidate that year let alone the winner.

Date: September 19, 2010 04:13AM

I love ND for the reason that it doesnt want to join a conferance, F'K THE CONFERANCE'S.

F'K THE BCS!! bunch of BS, more college's need to stand up against that BS. Its funny because the conferance's want that school, and rightfully so they just said kick rocks!

Lol the Heisman, that is overated lol the popularity vote! Lol its a joke in my eye's because the BCS is a joke the way its being run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 04:14AM by Mia1.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 19, 2010 04:23AM

Your hate (strong word) is misplaced, IMO. The historical importance of Notre Dame's success during the 1920s helped build excitement with college football and was a catalyst in helping other institutions, private or state run, build successful and highly competitive college football programs. The sportswriters back in that time period found them interesting along with their coaches. It was a great time and all colleges with football programs were benefactors.

To play ND became something special in and of itself. Beating them put your program on a better footing. Every team gets up for ND. That was then, and it remains the same for all universities today. Saying that "our team beat ND" can be the yearly comment for the players, coaches, and fans. Losing to ND, for many programs, positively kills their aspirations for great success. Fortunately, for other programs, ND's top teams are not immortal. Each year, they too must compete against teams, all of whom are gunning for them to beat them. Teams are passionate about beating them, perhaps more than any other team. Their games still bring excitement to college football and that's the reason they are telecast nationally. People watch for them to win, for the competition they bring, and for the last second heroics, by them or their opponents, of a ball game. Don't be too harsh on them guys. They are worth their weight in gold to college football. BTW, I've never run across a "Domer" who was not gracious, win or lose. It's a terrific university with a lot going for it.

Dolphaholic--you live close by to South Bend. Successful programs have rabid fans. Alabama has rabid fans; Norman OK has rabid fans; Ann Arbor has rabid fans. The Denver Broncos, Steelers, and Redskins have rabid fans. Football talks goes on 24/7 in these locations. I agree, it can be overwhelming; just like politics during an election year.

Date: September 19, 2010 04:30AM

Well without opening up a whole other debate, ND also throws their "relgion" in the face and down the throats of everyone as well. Touchdown Jesus and the whole GOD is looking over us but not you! And with Notre Dame students printing t-shirts and the school promoting shirts that said "Catholics vs Convicts" back in 1988 from back in the day. Esentially preaching....We are good and your evil.

They have now become a pimple on the ass of the college football landscape. And just some mid-Saturday program 6 times a year on NBC with little to no meaning anymore.

They play in meaningless bowl games (IF THEY EVEN QUALIFY FOR A BOWL). If they joined the Big 10 they would fight with Northwestern to see who comes in last place. If they joined the Big East they would be a mid-level team not even good enough to win that league.

Date: September 19, 2010 04:41AM

Colonel let the haters hate, and just turn the other cheeck lol.

Date: September 19, 2010 05:06AM

I couldn't agree Mike more

Date: September 19, 2010 05:12AM

There not my fav team, but no need to hate, unless they just beat your team.

Date: September 19, 2010 05:21AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> I couldn't agree Mike more

ND football has turned into a laughingstock. They are a joke. The fact the one poster here had to go back to the 1920's to find their "relevance" is proof of that. They haven't been even a threat in college football for close to 20 years now.

They are 1-2 now and with Stanford, Pitt, B.C., USC, Navy, and Utah coming up this year. It's gonna be another LONG year for ND. And another season with NO BOWL game!!

Date: September 19, 2010 05:24AM

Oh well if they don't win so be it.

Im not a student, or a alumni of that school so I don't really care.

They can be the laughing stock if you want to laugh at them I guess, but personally why waist the effort?

Root for your team, and who care's about irrelevant teams that are the pimples on the BCS's buttocks right?

Date: September 19, 2010 05:28AM

Colonel, i'll agree that I used the word "hate" losely, I use it in a sports term and nothing else. I just have alot of friends that are ND zealots and it's always better when they lose.....kinda like the Cubs, way easier to live when both are down.

Date: September 19, 2010 05:32AM

dolphaholic Wrote:
> Colonel, i'll agree that I used the word "hate"
> losely, I use it in a sports term and nothing
> else. I just have alot of friends that are ND
> zealots and it's always better when they
> lose.....kinda like the Cubs, way easier to live
> when both are down.

Exactly, HATE in the sports term, not so literal. I HATE the Jets, I HATE the Red Sox. I HATE Notre Dame

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:04PM

I guess I'm a bit old school. I don't use the "hate"--it's reserved strictly for the enemy...those that are trying to put you 6' under any way they can. Nothing else qualifies for me, but I understand your application of it to opposing teams/players.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: September 21, 2010 01:20PM

colonel Wrote:
> I guess I'm a bit old school. I don't use the
> "hate"--it's reserved strictly for the
> enemy...those that are trying to put you 6' under
> any way they can. Nothing else qualifies for me,
> but I understand your application of it to
> opposing teams/players.

Well I hate ND too. Don't even like to say their name. Reason is that years ago they would come to Miami and kick the hell out of the Canes. Run the score up and laugh about it. The press would always say how freaking great they are while beating the "Little Sisters of the Poor".

They would insist on two games in South Bend and one in Miami.

Then Howard Shnellenburger (sp) took the team to South Bend and kicked a field goal in the last 30 seconds to rub the score in.
I FREAKING LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!smiling bouncing smiley
Screw NDhot smiley

BTW same goes for Nebraska, and Oklahoma.

Posted by: GA FinFan ()
Date: September 21, 2010 04:16PM

I think it just burns the media and others up that college football programs haven't been competitive with the majority of teams from Texas east. For the past 20 years or so CF has been dominated by the SEC teams, FLorida State and Miami. Its probably the same reason why the Dolphins, Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Carolina get no respect in the media. Four or five ESPN commentators picked San Fran to beat New orleans Monday night. I wander How many would lay money down in Vegas on that line? They never pick against Indy, New England or Pittsburgh, unless they play each other.

The point is I think this may lead to teams like the FN Jets and certain college programs getting constantly overhyped. I can't remember who but one of the commentators on ESPN or NFL network said that the Jets would finish ahead of Dolphins this year in the AFC East because of the experience level of the QB. If my memory is correct Sanchez played 1 year in college, Henne - 4 years and Henne's been in the NFL one year longer than Sanchez.

Sorry for the rant- buts its sort of like a napoleon complex.

"There he goes, one of god's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant, never even considered for mass production. to weird to live, to rare to die." Hunter S. Thompson/per Slash

Date: September 21, 2010 04:28PM

By the way, did anyone else see that the Mich St. coach had a mild heart-attack that same night after making this call? Now THAT'S a ballsy call

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.