HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Chad Henne
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Chad Henne
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:04PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chad Henne
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:07PM

You can't underestimate how much our weak WR corps holds him back, too. How many times are his first and second options not open? He'll look that much better when we get him a couple of guys who can consistently get separation.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:08PM

I was about to say that some of his lack of touch/inaccuracy was driving me nuts today - and it was. However, what I like about him is that he has the poise and the tools to make up for those. His arm is strong enough that if he misses a wide-open receiver on 2nd & 10, he has the arm strength to convert 3rd & 10 and defenses have to respect his ability to throw the ball all over the field.

I like him and am really happy he's ours.

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:09PM

Henne made some mistakes today, but on the whole he played a good game against a good team. We won't be drafting a QB this off-season.

Posted by: Aria ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:09PM

Agreed with all the above. he had some beautiful throws too. That TD in the back of the endzone was nice.

Posted by: Odenn ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:18PM

Yea, I agree, he's a very promising QB. Asking him to throw 52 times today was a big thing to ask of our guy. He showed up big.

One thing to notice today was that NE had zero pass rush. This gave Henne the time he needed to go to his 3rd and 4th options. I even saw him go through 4 reads and go back to his 1st on some of the red zone situations.

Normally versus a team with a decent pass rush, since our 1st and 2nd receivers are never open, Henne looks worse than he really is. He simply holds the ball what seems like a long time and eats the sack. Point being, its mostly the receivers inability to get open that is holding us back from have a QB that can put up 250+ a game each and every week. Watching him toss it around today showed me that he's got the arm to go wild on any team.

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:29PM

Henne is a pimp! I will be ordering a jersey, he will be with us for a long time. That is not based off one game, I have said that since we drafted him. Go Chad!!!!!

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:41PM

Give him 2 legit NFL WR's and he's a pro bowl player and one of the Top 10 QB's in the league. Maybe Top 5

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:46PM

Definitely an improvement over Pennington but still needs some growing. Got to be more consistent when under heavy rush. I don't mean he's got to complete more, I mean he has to avoid throwing ints.

When he just let himself get sacked earlier in the season, that was bettter.

Posted by: klong56 ()
Date: December 06, 2009 12:50PM

If you want to see what Chad can do with good wr's watch highlights of him and Mario Manningham.

Date: December 06, 2009 12:51PM

Posted by: Doug-THE-Dolfan ()
Date: December 06, 2009 01:33PM

If Chad P. comes back as the back up for a couple of years we will be set at the QB position. Henne is the real deal.

Man oh man, I can't wait for the truely dominating defense arrives.

Date: December 06, 2009 01:36PM

Pat White is our back-up QB

I would like Pennington QB coach and Lee as our offensive coordinator IF Dan Henning retires like I think he will

Date: December 06, 2009 01:39PM

That's why I took pains to say that I'm not criticizing him for not making more completions.

I'm criticizing him for throwing interceptions when under heavy rush.

A lot ot seasoned quarterbacks don't do that. Of course, Brady is just egotistical.

Date: December 06, 2009 01:58PM

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 06, 2009 02:11PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pat White is our back-up QB
>
> I would like Pennington QB coach and Lee as our
> offensive coordinator IF Dan Henning retires like
> I think he will

I wouldn't mind Pennington as a #2 QB next year, if he'd be willing to do that. I don't feel White is a legit NFL QB.

Posted by: joemama ()
Date: December 06, 2009 02:12PM

Henne has some learning to do. He played really well today but he has some tendencies that he will have to learn to get around.

One thing is overthrowing the ball. Not everyone stops doing this. Jeff George, e.g. I'm not talking about distance, I'm talking about putting too much on it. The ball that Bess couldn't handle on that 4th down is a good example. Take a touch off of that and it's a first down. He has a few balls like this every game it seems. Just too hot.

Another is not feeling the passing lanes. He is good when he can go to the outside but a lot of the middle area balls get tipped.

These two things really aren't the fault of his receivers.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: December 06, 2009 02:38PM

Jeff George's problems weren't his passing skills, it was his attitude and his lack of coachability. His screaming match with his coach on the sidelines didn't help. Henne doesn't have this problem.

As for throwing too hard, John Elway was the same early in his career, and he turned out pretty good!

Date: December 06, 2009 03:07PM

As far passing too hard, it may also require some adjustments from his receivers. In sone cases, they'll have to get used to it. When there's a pass rusher closing in, and the receiver is in close coverage, the ball is going to get thrown hard. It's just a natural thing.

Does anyone else remember the little pre-game ritual Marino used to have? It was one of my favorite things to watch when I went to a game. Marino would have the guys run short routes, like 5 to 10 yards, and he'd throw the ball so hard that no one could catch it. He used to like to do it so that they'd have an easier time with his in-game throws.

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: December 06, 2009 04:50PM

Date: December 06, 2009 04:56PM

And I'm really talking about today.

If you notice, PhinFans2, I specifically commended him for,in EARLIER games, taking the sacks.

And your statistics do not also note the number of near picks he threw today.

My point is that he seems to be getting away, as his confidence grows, from simply taking the sack and seems instead to be taking chances.

Posted by: TheFutt ()
Date: December 07, 2009 02:37AM

"And your statistics do not also note the number of near picks he threw today."

I had no idea that "almost-picks" was a stat.

Henne looked good today!!

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 07, 2009 04:03AM

Most of Henne's bad or over throws were a result of the receiver not being open and him having to adjust and wait to make the throw.

Another non-stat that is to Henne's credit is his throw aways when receivers were not open. Several in the red zone that eventually allowed a score vs INT.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 07, 2009 08:54AM

Chad Henne is growing. He needs to work on his touch, and to throw the ball more on and arc. Too many batted balls shows his low trajectory on release. He's a gamer though. Each game is better for him. Bess did a good job helping him, Hartline is growing into a reliable receiver. Good News for our running game.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: December 07, 2009 09:08AM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: December 07, 2009 11:56AM

I hate all this "touch" talk concerning Chad Henne's rocket passes.

I can only imagine what Dan Marino would have said if we complained that he threw it too hard. By the way, he threw every pass hard. He is known as the hardest throwing QB in history. It doesnt matter how hard a ball is thrown, if it hits a WR in his hands, he is paid to make the catch. Bottom line.

Dan Marino would have cussed out our WR's a bazillion times already if he was our QB.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: clovis phinatic ()
Date: December 07, 2009 12:10PM

Dan would NEVER yell at a WR! Just kidding! Your right A&O who cares about touch. Henne has got a Dan like arm and squeeze the ball into places we have not seen since Dan. I love the way he plays and with this year under his belt (soon). I am super excited for the Dolphins next year! Touch would not have completed about 10 of the passes against the Pats.

Posted by: Aria ()
Date: December 07, 2009 12:47PM

I just rewatched henne's highlights from the game. I forgot how beautiful that throw Camarillo on that first TD drive was, right over the shoulder.

Date: December 08, 2009 04:07PM

TheFutt Wrote:
> "And your statistics do not also note the number
> of near picks he threw today."
>
> I had no idea that "almost-picks" was a stat.
>
> Henne looked good today!!

RESPONSE: It is true that "almost picks" is not a stat, my friend Futt.

But it is the mirror opposite of "an interception by virtue of a tipped ball" or "an interception because the receiver ran the wrong route."

The point is that if a quarterback can be forgiven for passes intercepted due to the ball being tipped at the line of scrimmage (and some on this board would not pointing out that his passes should not be that low but should be on an arc) which also DO NOT SHOW UP IN THE STATS

but if a quarterback should be forgiven for tipped balls resulting in interceptions then

it is relevant to consider also interceptions that ALMOST RESULTED WHEN HE THREW THE INTERCEPTION BUT THE DEFENDER DROPPED IT OR MISSED IT.

Now, remember Futt, I was calling for Henne to play EVEN last year over Pennington and was denounced as insane when I predicted that he would take the job from Penny this year.

I say that to say that now when I temper the praise of Henne with a little realism, people who did not come to my aid when I was declared insane for advocating him last year are now offended that I would dare make the slightest criticism of him.

Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: December 09, 2009 05:30AM

Aqua&Orange Wrote:
> I hate all this "touch" talk concerning Chad
> Henne's rocket passes.
>
> I can only imagine what Dan Marino would have said
> if we complained that he threw it too hard. By the
> way, he threw every pass hard. He is known as the
> hardest throwing QB in history. It doesnt matter
> how hard a ball is thrown, if it hits a WR in his
> hands, he is paid to make the catch. Bottom line.
>
>
>
> Dan Marino would have cussed out our WR's a
> bazillion times already if he was our QB.

Come on Aqua, Dan had the best touch pass ever. Quickest release with best touch ever.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.