HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts
Posted by: realist ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:13PM

OK, so Tedd Ginn redeemed himself today...as a Special Teamer. I say give him all return duties and let him come in now and then as a WR. He's gotta feel good.

Happy to see Roth back in the game and making an impact. He set the edge very well on a couple runs to his side. Not sure why he was on the sideline as much as he was.

Torbor looked like a slight upgrade over Crowder against the run. Pass coverage needs some work.....like ...look for the ball!

Clemons good first game. I think he will end the season as our starter. Not sure he is the long term solution...but he played better than Wilson has.

Soliai played very well. I loved seeing him and Ferguson on the field together.

OUr offense was horrid!
-Henne took some ridiculous sacks. There was only one where he had no chance. he had opportunity to throw it away at the feet of a WR. Very concerning.
-Our OL got man-handled...VERY CONCERNING!!!!!
-Ricky was the better runner today. Yes the Jets D were aggressive; however, Ricky seemed to be able to twist and churn for more.

Where was our pass rush in the 2nd half? Same as last week. 1st half effectiveness was replaced with 2nd half sit back. OUr secondary isn't good enough. Did Cameron Wake play any snaps? why not? Porter is taking up a valuable spot on the field!

JT didn't really getting to the QB...today..; but, his heads up play, his constant motor, was an asset....even without the TD. Add that and he needs to be on the filed. I can not find a good reason to keep Porter out there.

IMO, passing D should be Soliai, Starks, Taylor and Wake.

OR.....imagine....

Roth, Soliai, Starks, Merling as the front 4 and JT and Wake, as the LB's. JT stays in coverage. Wake picks an end outside of the DE and goes. He has enough speed to beat anyone to the QB, It forces the OL to put a bigger guy on the edge, and it allows the DE to go against man blocking. Starks and Soliai would eat up the draws and push the pocket.

I think that would get consistent pressure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:28PM

I think we need to get Ginn in there on punt returns, too. And maybe today will get his confidence back, and help him as a receiver.

Wilson led the team in tackles, and had 3 good blitzes.

Soliai was great, and that was great to see.

I was disappointed in how fat Roth looked. If he's going to play LB, I'd have thought he would have lost some more weight to improve his quickness.

I would rather have Henne taking a sack than throwing a risky pass to a covered receiver. What we don't know as fans, and can't see in the games because of the camera work, is what his hot reads were and if those guys were open. On those all out blitzes, if his hot read is blanketed, it's going to result in sacks. Like I said, we just don't know if that's the case. When you consider how awful our offense was today, and all of the pressure, you have to give Henne some credit for us not having any turnovers on offense.

Porter is playing his way toward getting cut to save payroll at the end of the season.

We stopped blitzing in the second half. Hopefully, the coaching staff will eventually realize that we have no pass rush without blitzing. If we let Tom Brady have as much time to throw as Sanchez did in the second half, the Pats will score 50 against us.

Date: November 01, 2009 05:33PM

Posted by: Panteraize ()
Date: November 01, 2009 05:59PM

God Roth looked heavy and out of shape out there today. I bet all this down time completely erased all the work he did last year in losing weight to move from DE to linebacker. He's probably back to 270, 275.

Posted by: DolphinSam ()
Date: November 02, 2009 12:37AM

Good thoughts, realist.

Agreed, Tobor looked good. I like your lineup, but I think Porter will step up his play.

Pass rush, we put Mr. GQ on his arse...but there was nothing, no pressure later in the game. Not sure why that was.

O line, yeah they took a step back yesterday, but I think they'll rebound. And yes, those ridiculous sacks need to stop. I think Henne will make better decisions in the next game, I think he learned a lot.

Posted by: GBOFinFan ()
Date: November 02, 2009 01:40AM

Pressure on Sanchez in the first half = Blitz

No pressure in the second half = No Blitz

If it's working why stop? Two weeks in a row same story.

One week it's a seasoned vet and arguable the best QB in the league right now but When a rookie QB starts picking your DB's apart b/c he has all day to find an open receiver, you have to help the D-line with some blitzes.

I agree, realist, Wake needs to be in the game a lot more on passing downs. I think he's going to be good.

Henne had me yelling "get rid of it" more than I'm used to but he's young and will get better. He's got to learn how to move around in the pocket but again that should come with experience.

Henne's major problem is....NO WR's. We MUST get someone who can create separation AND catch.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 02, 2009 02:20AM

At least one sack was completely Henne's fault. The pocket was established and Long had his man. Then Henne shifted to his left...OUTSIDE THE POCKET...and Long's man disengaged and sacked Henne. Henne needs to be more aware of his pocket and protection and not put his O-Line in impossible situations. I think it's definitely something he'll learn.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: November 02, 2009 04:07AM

Good post realist.

Regarding Ginn on punts ... I have some reservation about his ability to handle the pressure of catching and running in traffic.

Similar to his skittishness receiving, he doesn't seem to do so well catching the ball when he has defenders near by.

I however do think they should give him a chance, but am not ready to count on him in that role.

great game for Ginn ... glad to see him have some success. Agree with realist he should come oin on afew wr plays. He has amazing straight line speed, & turned on the afterburners and left them once he got a step.

Most people would have been caught with the angle on the first return.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 02, 2009 04:14AM

The pass rush seems to fade in the second half--almost as if the players are out of steam, Yet, I wonder if it's personnel differences. I need to review the tape. I agree with Realist that Wake needs to play. If he adds more spark to the seemingly lazing or tired pass rush in the second half, put him in. One sack would have had an impact. Even a rushed pass. Put Wake in.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 02, 2009 05:56AM

Good thread realist.

Good read.

QUOTE:Clemons good first game. I think he will end the season as our starter. Not sure he is the long term solution..

Why not? He is just a rookie and looking very good.

If all three, clemons, davis, and smith become good, we are set at the DB position for the next 10 years.

Posted by: montequi ()
Date: November 02, 2009 06:38AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> If all three, clemons, davis, and smith become
> good, we are set at the DB position for the next
> 10 years.

..and this will be looked at as one of the greatest drafts in Phin's history. That's almost our entire secondary in a single draft!

Posted by: dgoodhue ()
Date: November 02, 2009 07:03AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pass rush seems to fade in the second
> half--almost as if the players are out of steam,

It sure didn't help the Dolphin Defense was on the field for 5 Jet Offensive series in a row in the 3rd quarter, before Miami Offense touched the ball and let the defense rest. I quickly count something like 28 straight plays.

Date: November 02, 2009 08:09AM

Roth did look heavier and maybe lacked quickness; however, on two running plays he set the edge and turned it inside for no/low gain. Against the run...that's his job. He did it perfectly!

He also made a nice play on the hitch pass, to drill the guy out of bounds.

I know he can't play the whole game...yet...but...when he gets his legs and if Porter is going to be so average? Give JT his old spot back on the Right and start Roth on the Left.

Date: November 02, 2009 08:11AM

good observation!

Date: November 02, 2009 08:27AM

he could become the long term guy.....but....I was sorta hoping we would draft a Brian Dawkins/Ed Reed/ Troy Palumau calibre guy in the next 2-3 years.

That would be nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.