HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bob Griese suspended by ABC/ESPN
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Bob Griese suspended by ABC/ESPN
Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:11PM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there isn't a big difference. Same kind of Ethnic
> Sterotype.

not the same thing--one stereotype is saying all whites are violent racists, another says all hispanics . . . eat tacos

but I agree espn took the easy way out and made the smart business decision in suspending him. I'm just lamenting that this is our society

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:20PM

not all whites, just whites with shaved heads!!

lol lol

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:30PM

Im just saying...................I cannot for some reason picture a latin person upset for this remark.

There is just nothing to it. JMHO.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 31, 2009 02:40PM

berkeley223 Wrote:
> Chyren B, if you were any more white you'd be
> clear.
> Preach on Reppa!

RESPONSE: Okay, the 1/8ths in me is White. Now, I have said it. I am 14/16ths NON-WHITE. That means I am either 13/16ths Black or 13/16ths Native American.

Nice take, Berkeley223, I never thought you would line up with an idiot like Reppa!

Now let's talk about my politics. Reppa threw the word Republican around wildly.

I was the Democratic Nominee for Congress in the 22nd Congressional District in California in 1978. I ran against the incumbent Carlos Moorhead on the basis that he was the last die hard defender of Richard Nixon on the House Impeachment committee.

In 1980, I was the Democratic nominee for the 42nd Assembly District (California's House of Representative) against Assemblyman William H. "Bill" Ivers, on the basis that Ivers was discovered to be a genuine member of the John Birch Society.

In 1992, I ran for Los Angeles Superior Court Judge against an incumbent Joyce Karlin (Google it) on the basis that Karlin gave summary probation to Soon Ja Du, a Korean Grocer who shot a Black teenager, Latasha Harlins, in the back of the head because Soon Ja Du accused Latasha of stealing a bottle of orange juice. People in the L.A. area would laugh at the politics that Reppa and Berkeley223 by joining him accuse me of.

So I have not only had to prove I am not White but also to prove that I am no right wing conservative.

So, fellow members of the Board, just WHO ARE THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE UNWARRANTED ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT RACE AND POLITICS JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN THEM.

And isn't THAT the REAL definition of PREJUDICE......that you presume people have certain characteristics based on the positions they take?

I grew up in Oklahoma in the 1950's and 1960's and I know racism when I see it and people like Reppa who put their minds in the pawn shop until they figure they need it later have the exact necessary ingredient for empty minded bigotry. The only difference is they have different targets for their bigotry.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 02:52PM

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 31, 2009 04:16PM

Man, this is good. You are Bob Henry! WOW! NICE! I am impressed as well.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 31, 2009 04:18PM

Or either Chryen stole Bob's identity! smiling bouncing smiley

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 04:45PM

Date: October 31, 2009 05:39PM

Yep. Chyren is Ancient French for Henry and B is for Bob.

Date: October 31, 2009 05:49PM

And my whole thing is that the negative rappers (The original rappers of the Sixties were like The Last Poets and others who tried to advance the civil rights movement. They rapped about the bad conditions of the Black race.)

These little thugs now (not saying all rappers but there are rappers of all kind and there are even Christian rappers), all they do is glorify the very negative aspects of the Ghetto and the people who listen to them ride in cars and commit shootings.

(Of course, they end up killing Black youths who are either trying to go to college or are potential pro athletes instead of other gang members. Why? Because other gang members are smart enough to be careful and watch out as they walk down the street. But the Black youngster who is not expecting some pieces of sh_t riding down the streets looking to earn their status in the gang end up getting killed.)

So all the Young Bob Henrys have an even tougher time than I had it in the Sixties.

That's why to me, the opportunity was not to condemn one simple minded White comedian who felt he could do the same as those stupid Gangster rappers. The point was to shine a light on those gangster rappers.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 31, 2009 07:39PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
>
> That's why to me, the opportunity was not to
> condemn one simple minded White comedian who felt
> he could do the same as those stupid Gangster
> rappers. The point was to shine a light on those
> gangster rappers.

So Don Imus (a racist) says a racist comment....and you want to shine the light on the gangster rappers who did nothing wrong on that faithful morning????

That's nice. White guy screws up and you want to pin it on the blacks!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 01, 2009 02:22AM

The whole value system behind "political correctness" is to be courteous and not disrespectful of anyone's sex, race, or religion. All of these areas once entered may annoy, agitate or anger the person (or group) whose sex, race or religion is being addressed. Not all discussion of sex, race or religion, however, falls into the political correctness arena. There's a fine line and that threshold line is not easy to spot or define.

Again, Bob Griese's wisecracking comments were foolish to make. It's time for ABC/ESPN to move on. Their point was made. Griese is not a stupid man...he won't do it again. Wisecracks are best left for Don Rickles or Groucho Marx etc.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: November 01, 2009 03:53AM

MikeO Wrote:
> if they were talking about a black race car driver
> and Bob Griese said...."he is probably eating some
> fried chicken and watermelon" would that be oK????
> Hell no. it would be offensive.
>
> Just like saying this
> hispanic/latin/mexican/columbian whatever the heck
> this race car driver is ...."he is probably eating
> a taco" is offensive to his race of people!!!
>
>
> Look at it this way, FOR EXAMPLE, if your
> brother/cousin/son..etc played Outside Linebacker
> for lets say Michigan St. Bob Griese is doing a
> Mich St game and they shoot to a shot of your
> relative on the sideline with his helmet off and
> he is white and has shaved the hair off his head
> and is bald and Bob says..."probably a nazi skin
> head there". Is that OK???? Or would you be up in
> arms? Because a white guy with a shaved head must
> be a nazi skin-head. I mean fits the sterotype
> right???
>
> Why would anyone get worked up?? Just a little fun
> Bob is having. The country is to PC right???
> PLEASE!!!! You would go bonkers!! I mean why not
> let everyone just use every negative sterotype on
> TV when talking about anyone! What's the big
> deal.....until it happens to you of course!!

There are stereotypes and then there are "negative" stereotypes. I don't see the taco comment as being negative. I have two British parents so if he had said I was out having a pint of bitter, I would have laughed and it probably poured one. Stereotypes exist for a reason, but they don't all have to be perceived as negative. Your comparison would clearly be a negative one. To call someone a racist based on there appearance is not an innocent poke, but a slam on somebody's character. There is a huge difference there.

This is why I am so discouraged by the elite media's attempt to discredit the conservative push by people like me and organizations like FOX News by deeming the movement as a bunch of white racists. Judging by some of the comments that I have heard on here, the propaganda is working. Nothing can be further from the truth though.

First I will point out that I am lily white. Therefore, some of you might think that I have no right to speak on race relations. However, the huge majority of whites believe in equal rights for all men. There is a perception by some that it was and still is whites versus blacks, but many whites fought for civil rights and many of them gave their lives for the cause.

I grew up in the 70's and integration was well-embedded by then. I didn't look at the black students in a negative way. I was just a kid with no bias. We learned the same lessons and played together especially on sports teams. They were my teammates and friends.

To this day, I carry the same sense as virtually all my white peers do. I have black friends that I work with, watch football games with, I attend their parties and I reciprocate. Some of my best friends are black.

As a teacher, I don't allow any racial divide to enter into the picture either. All my students receive my attentive care and discipline equally. Some of my students, particularly my black basketball players(not a stereotype, but the majority of my players have been black) over the years, have my deepest affection. Some are like my own children.

So why do I point this out? It is because that, as a white conservative, I am constantly painted as a racist for my pollitical beliefs. I have been to the tea parties and belong to an organization that was started because of Glenn Beck's 9.12 project. I haven't met the first "racist" among those groups yet. We are simply portrayed that way by the elite media in order to deligitimize our cause. It is clearly working because some of you are truly misinformed about our beliefs and actions. Right-wingers are not racists and fanaticals. We were the silent majority before. We have conservative values and certainly believe in civil rights. The main call we have is for fiscal responsibility both by our government and individually. We believe in a free market and believe all people can be rewarded for hardwork and effort. We believe that, over time, the cream will rise to the top for all races if a spirit of competition is encouraged. Primarily we believe in the Constitution of the United States of America. But WE ARE NOT A BUNCH OF RACISTS!

This is the worst negative stereotype going today. It hit a little close to home for me the other day. A black female cohort of mine jabbed at me saying "Here comes our resident Glenn Beck." I laughed and said that I would take that as a compliment. She couldn't believe I would react that way and it started a debate. I love a good debate. It was a little intense, but I enjoyed it and I always considered her a friend so as the tardy bell rang I left thinking we had agreed to disagree and things were still cool.

A day later, I asked when we were going to finish the debate. She said that she didn't want to because she felt that I wasn't listening to her because the color of her skin. At that point, I told her not to project her insecurities on me because nothing could have been further from the truth. I admitted that I disagreed with most of what she said, but none of it stemmed from race.

I blame the liberal media and the race leeches like Rev. Jackson, Rev. Sharpton, and Rev. White. They perpetuate a myth. I believe they seek and thrive on racism. Tell me it isn't profitable for those reverends. Tell me it doesn't further a left-wing agenda by making conservatives look heartless.

Are there racists? Yes on all sides of the fence. But in my circle, which consists of lots of conservatives, I don't see the real hatred of racism and discrimination. Have I ever heard a race related joke? All the time. Usually I laugh. It doesn't make me a racist. In order to be a racist, I believe you have to hate the other race and discriminate against them. That is not me and I can assure you it is not the vast majority of white conservatives either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2009 05:41AM by Jonathan Twilley.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: November 01, 2009 07:18AM

OK guys step back while I show chyren who hes messin with here... First off buddy I am glad that you have so much success coming up but the fact is everybody is 1/3 this, 1/6 that infact the reppa probably has more interesting blood diversity then you.

Secondly, you exist in an age gap. The fact is that the older minority generation are very out of touch with todays youth and assume they know our mentality when they dont. When was the last time you accually went to a minority grade school, and saw what is going on and the talented youth that exists? They are not all "gangstas" You get caught up with ganster rap and the effect on people but the reality is that if you are raised in a disfunctional house hold you are sussepctible to ANY negative influences since you dont have strong figures to guide you. SO if not the music these misguided kids will cling to some other negative vice. So you see "my brutha" it is not the music that is the problem rather the lack of positive leadership. I listen to everything from "gansta music" to nirvana and I have not blown my head off, infact I turned out fine. So to think it is the music is obserd.

You wanna speak about success: Myself an a graduate school buddy of mine have created what we call "The Inititive" where we go to minority grade schools and try to develop and motivate the minds of you young potential scientist.

You wanna talk about education, yeah berkely is an outstanding university, I myself am doing a Post doc at the University of Pennsylvania. And funny you mention swine flu because that is what my research project is on, trying to design drugs which will fight against the growing pandemic. SO the reppa may come of as a moron or an imbicile but dont get it confused I was born in the projects of brooklyn and I know first had that not everyone who listens to rap are not thugs and ganstas... Dont let the media fool you.

Date: November 01, 2009 07:43AM

Reppa wrote (This whole sentence sums up his point):

So you see "my brutha" it is not the music that is the problem rather the lack of positive leadership. I listen to everything from "gansta music" to nirvana and I have not blown my head off, infact I turned out fine. So to think it is the music is obserd.

RESPONSE:

So a gangster rapper says all he wants by using the N word, calling Black women "hoes" (whores), and talking about "popping a cap into a sucka" and that has no effect.

In fact we can get along fine with that according to you!

BUT ONCE some stupid white comedian (and I agree with the others who say that he deserves what he got) mimmicks the same comments FROM THE SAME SOURCE THAT YOU NOW DEFEND and THEN IT BECOMES THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD FOR Miami Reppa.

And why did you decide to start communicating in slang Reppa? Once you realized that I am Black you start to "talk down to my level" even though I never talk on that level? It is me or the race about which you are making assumptions/

So, you're from New York, huh? Well let me tell you. They say everything starts in California. The saying is that you want to see the United States in 10 years? Then look at California now.

In California, the Whites are no longer a majority. They are a plurality, meaning the largest racial group but they are for the first time no longer the majority.

And hey.... it's not that the Black population is coming up. In fact, Blacks are less than the 10% they were in the U.S. for years. What is happening is that the Black population is getting smaller and smaller.

Well, you might ask, what's going on? I'll tell you what's going on. The Asians and Hispanics populations have exploded.

And its not because their population that was here during World War II are having more children. It's because their immigration numbers or so high.

Why am I bring this up, my "Brutha?" It's because that lay that ole guilt trip on the White man does not work with them.

Just like you started talking about all the 300 years, the Asians and Hispanic turn around and ask you,"And what does that have to do with Us?" They don't want to hear that stuff.

The Whites still have those guilt feelings but they don't.

The point is that the Asians and Hispanics will ultimately control this country.

So if the Black community is to get its act together, it had better do so by concentrating on the Cancer within, Black crime, Black youths being gangsters and being killed by other Black youth gangsters, Drugs, etc. The day of blaming all those problems and at the same time looking for deliverance from a guilt ridden White man is coming to an end because he won't be in control. And the people that will be in control won't want to hear it!

Let's get our act together, "Brutha." INTERNALLY IS WHAT I MEAN. If you had White people putting out this music in the 40's and 50's, you'd be screaming bloody murder. I know it by the reaction you had to Don Imus and what he said is MILD compared to gangster rap.

Find a new tune, Reppa.

Now, maybe I came into this overdefending Bob Griese.

But you defense of gangster rap is ridiculous.

And age has nothing to do with common sense.

And when you start defending your academic credentials and protesting that you are not an imbecile or moron, REMEMBER WHO THREW THOSE NAMES AROUND FIRST and if you don't remember, start reading from the top above until you see.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: November 01, 2009 02:51PM

This is a very interesting topic. Here I am returning from watching my beloved Dolphins emerge victorious versus the Jets and the first topic I clicked on was this one. Perhaps because I find this the most important issue facing us now. I love to hear the various perspectives from you guys.

ChyrenB is right about a lot of what he says. Conservatives like me don't dislike anyone because of their race, creed, color or religion. We just want to protect our common culture and values that have made our country the greatest in the history of the world. ChyrenB failed to point out one thing though. As our world continues to shrink as geographic barriers become less influencial and various races and religions mix, people will eventually evolve. Especially in the US our genes will continue to blend until our physical differnces will become almost unrecognizable.

As this happens, it is my hope we can hang onto our American values. This is the issue we conservatives have. We don't want to change the system of things that made this country the envy of the world. There is a reason so many people emigrate here. Tweak things and improve them as contemporary challenges arise, but please don't tear down this wonderful and successful nation and recreate it in the image of those that have failed time and again. We should be the model for the rest of the world. If other countries prefer their ways and wish to continue with their failed policies then that is there prerogative, but don't impose them on us to create a new world order. I refuse to compromise on that issue.

Date: November 01, 2009 06:13PM

Date: November 01, 2009 06:20PM

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.