HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Bob Griese suspended by ABC/ESPN
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Bob Griese suspended by ABC/ESPN
Posted by: Leon In Denver ()
Date: October 30, 2009 01:07PM

Seriously, I did not mean to make this a political discussion. I said nothing about Democrats, or Fox News. I said, and I meant it, that the news media AND THE LEFT, are the ones that take PC way to seriously.

Left, Right, Left, Right, I'm sick of it. That is the reason I got out of the service.

Now that being said, sorry for the this and let's get back to football.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: October 30, 2009 01:28PM

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 30, 2009 02:59PM

Griese's comment was foolish but not deserving of suspension or firing.

Wisecracking comments are made by all at some time or another and we've become way to sensitive, IMO, today. True, not all jokes meant to be funny are funny, some are and some aren't. But to think that a wisecrack is made to do injury to others may be an assumption misplaced.

I recently received an email that is funny but politely incorrect. It was a t-shirt with Uncle Sam on it, a recruiting poster, with the words, "I Want You...to speak English."

Definitely a wisecracking comment, funny to some, and perhaps not so funny to others. Wearing such a T-shirt in public may not be a smart or safe thing to do, but it does inject a truism that many immigrants to the US are not spending enough time to learn the English language; hence, the wisecracking aspect of the T-shirt slogan.

Clearly, the wisecracking comment made by Griese was foolish to make. An apology should be sufficient along with a warning from his employer not to "add lib" involving sex, race or religion.

Date: October 30, 2009 03:34PM

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: October 30, 2009 10:01PM

I think that there are two many people who are racists and that there are too many people WHO THINK THAT THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE WHO ARE RACIST.

Now figure that one out.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 31, 2009 12:41AM

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: October 31, 2009 04:30AM

I, for one, think political correctness has gone way too far. The joke was relatively innocent. I absolutely agree that had it been regarding some other ethic group and their food of choice then it wouldn't be an issue. I am sick of double standards. I tend to, like King dreamed," ...judge people by the content of their character and not by the color of their skin." Bob Griese has far more character than the large majority of people. Yet some want to ruin this man for an innocent comment. Give me a break. I will not watch ABC again, unless the Dolphins play on it(LOL), until Bob Griese is reinstated. I have already stopped watching and listening to the elite media anyhow and haven't watched baseball since the last strike in '94. My idea of sensitivity training is to teach people to be less sensitive. Get over this frivolous stuff and lets all learn to laugh at ourselves. We are all of the same race. It is called the human race.

Posted by: Jonathan Twilley ()
Date: October 31, 2009 06:18AM

MikeO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cause its not funny to everyone. And as a
> multi-billion dollar company you don't want to be
> offending anyone.
>
> You gotta know better. Hasn't anyone learned from
> Jimmy The Greek, Don Imus, Howard Cossell,....etc.
> You can't say these things on TV!!!!!

Why not? Outside of the Don Imus comment, which I think was very inappropriate, most comments that are deemed politically incorrect by some people are relatively innocent and harmless. If a joke had to be funny to everyone in order to tell it, then this would be a world without jokes. If I called you MikeEMO, several people on this chatroom would get it and laugh. If you get offended by this, you would do nothing more than lend credibility to the joke. I would hope you would have thicker skin though and recognize that it was a jab in fun. No harm done. Whatever happened to sticks and stones?

Date: October 31, 2009 08:37AM

With respect to the Don Imus comment, when that comment was made I thought that it would be a great opportunity to lambast Black rappers who have brought the phrase "nappy headed hoes" into our lexicon and who have made millions of dollars doing so.

I thought that the discussion would focus back on them and the lesson would be that when Black rappers who glorify the "thug life" and denigrate all Black women as "hoes" are now responsible for that type of language finding its way into mainstream predominantly White American language. The threat would be that now not only White but immigrants such as Mexican-American and Asians would consider Black women to be "hoes" (whores).

But this is what political correctness gets you, MikeO! What political correctness gets you is that THAT LESSON WAS LOST AND NEVER GOT OFF THE GROUND.

The whole issue becomes Don Imus, who was simply a White man (and a comedian at that) who picked up on what Black rappers were saying over and over again but he becomes the racist for saying the same thing they have said.

But the biggest sin is not that a White man gets blamed for what some Black thugs TAUGHT him to say.

The biggest crime is that political correctness LOST US ALL THE OPPORTUNITY to denounce the Black rappers for saying that sort of crap in the first place.

Therefore, who ULTIMATELY were the losers.....................Black women who deserve to be respected and who do not deserved to be thought of by Black teenagers listening to their rap music as "Hoes."

Date: October 31, 2009 10:23AM

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: October 31, 2009 10:45AM

Part I

ChyrenB Wrote:
> With respect to the Don Imus comment, when that
> comment was made I thought that it would be a
> great opportunity to lambast Black rappers who
> have brought the phrase "nappy headed hoes" into
> our lexicon and who have made millions of dollars
> doing so.

First off you need to REALLY get educated on what the hell your talking about. There is not a single rap artist in history that has made millions of dollars just saying nappy headed hoes on his record. In fact I have been listening to rap music since it started in 79' and i cannot recall a single song where that phrase is used. Since your such the expert why dont you reference that song for me. It should be easy since you say "black rappers" plural so there must be several so lets hear it. Infact I challenge anyone on this site to find the songs since they are so commonplace.

> I thought that the discussion would focus back on
> them and the lesson would be that when Black
> rappers who glorify the "thug life" and denigrate
> all Black women as "hoes" are now responsible for
> that type of language finding its way into
> mainstream predominantly White American language.
> The threat would be that now not only White but
> immigrants such as Mexican-American and Asians
> would consider Black women to be "hoes" (whores).

To be honest with you man I really dont know where to begin. You are so ignorant yet you speak as though you know. First of what if I were to say whites glorify racism and lynching blacks? This is true but it does not apply to all. Infact your comment about thug life glorification does not apply to the vast majority of blacks, just select individuals. I can spin it another way, who do you think promotes and markets rap music which has become a billion dollar industry? Who do you think had control of all the record lables and owns the radio stations which are playing the music? Who do you think is in control of selecting which songs get heavy rotation? yeah white people cause the brothas for a long time didnt own squat... So you see if you have a problem with the music that is being played dont look at blacks because there is a large variety of positive music that does not make it cause that is not what the people in control what to put out. So I would suggets you think about what you are saying before you go ranting on with your ignorant, uneducated, asinie comments.

Posted by: Miami Reppa ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:03AM

Part II

ChyrenB Wrote:
> The whole issue becomes Don Imus, who was simply a
> White man (and a comedian at that) who picked up
> on what Black rappers were saying over and over
> again but he becomes the racist for saying the
> same thing they have said.

As I mentioned black rappers do not use the prase nappy headed hoes in there songs. And what if they did, i would think someone with the intellegence of "I-man" would not be parroting what he hears on the radio. So if I hear a song about robbing a bank it is ok to do since I heard it on the radio. You are an imbecile if that is what you are saying (maybe the intellegence of a sheep). If you dont know you cant justify copying what you see on TV or hear on the radio, that is why god gave us a brain to think independently (well obviously not all of us).

> But the biggest sin is not that a White man gets
> blamed for what some Black thugs TAUGHT him to
> say.

I really dont know what to say to that, please read this again because I dont know how to respond to this... what the black thugs taught him to say- what is Imus a f@#kin monkey!!!

> The biggest crime is that political correctness
> LOST US ALL THE OPPORTUNITY to denounce the Black
> rappers for saying that sort of crap in the first
> place.

You lost the opportunity because the unfortunate, savage, brutal, barbaric treatment of black slaves for over 300 years which caused this political correctness. Dont try and wash your hands now because there is centuries of unneccesary blood shed that has occured which has brought us to this point.

> Therefore, who ULTIMATELY were the
> losers.....................Black women who deserve
> to be respected and who do not deserved to be
> thought of by Black teenagers listening to their
> rap music as "Hoes."

Do me a favor man why dont you try and make your own argument, this hoe s#it is so played, it has been used for like over 5 years now. This is proof that you cant think independently cause everything you are saying I have been hearing republicans say on the radio for years. No wonder you are taking about imus being taught how to do things, you are actually talking about yourself!

Date: October 31, 2009 11:14AM

Phinsfan2 Wrote:
> Perhaps things were different with regards to
> coverage on the west coast, but here in NY the
> rapper thing was brought up all the time, and it
> was brought up by black and white advocates in
> favor of firing him and keeping him. Even Al
> Sharpton acknowledged the origins of the terms and
> the issues the black community has had with rapper
> lyrics like that.

RESPONSE: True, we heard those comments on the West Coast, but the overwhelming message was the focus on Don Imus. My point was that by focusing on Don Imus, you get rid of one dumb White comedian but by focusing on the rapper, you do a lot more good.

>
> Few, if any, of them defended the rapper mentality
> that fostered those terms or denied their own
> responsibility in the matter.

RESPONSE: Same as above.

>
> At the end of the day, that didn't change the fact
> that a 65 year old white radio personality took a
> cheap shot at a bunch of young black women/college
> kids over their ethnicity, or that he was WRONG
> for doing so.

RESPONSE: Just focusing on those Black college women basketball players, I agree Phinsfan2. It was, from their standpoint, totally indefensible and if Imus was to be criticized, which he was rightfully so, it should have been for the personal insults to the chastity of those women.

>
> That said, I think that as a comedian who pushes
> the envelop on a daily basis, hem, and every other
> shock jock, is bound to stick his foot in his
> mouth now and again. Its a job hazard in that
> industry.

RESPONSE: Agreed.
>
> Did he go to far? Absolutely.

>
> But people have the right to be offended by his
> comments and they have the right not to give him a
> pass on it. They also have the right to organize
> and protest the companies that sponsor his show.
> And the companies have the right to bow to
> pressure from a large segment of their consumers
> by pulling their advertising from that show.

RESPONSE: All of these are facts of life but as I said, in the Black community far more value would have been accomplished by turning the issue against this GANGSTA rap music which not only uses the "N" word frequently, but glorifies shooting, robbing and other such negative things.

>
> And WFAN had the right to fire him once he lost so
> much advertising that his continued employment no
> longer provided enough revenue to offset the
> negative publicity they were revceiving. In
> essence, the system played out the way it should.
>
> He crossed a line and there are consequences for
> that. But those consequences weren't some
> arbitrary decision from an executive at his
> station based on political correctness. That
> decision was driven by money, pure and simple.

RESPONSE: My point was not so much directed to what should happen to Don but to what the focus should be.
>
> btw...Don is back on the air in NY on WABC radio
> in the AM time slot he used to have at WFAN. He
> also has a show coming up on Fox News.

NOW THAT I HAVE DEALT WITH PHINSFAN2 APPROPRIATE AND INTELLIGENT COMMENTS, LET ME RESPOND TO THE IDIOTIC COMMENTS MADE BY MIAMI REPPA.

Date: October 31, 2009 11:33AM

First all, Miami Reppa, you don't know whether I'm Black or not, Myself. You know I am part Black because if you search this board, you will find that I stated that I am 1/8 of one race, 1/16th of another, and 3/16 of a third and that those races are White, Black and Native American in no particular order.

You know I am 60 years old from my graduating from Berkely in 1970. You should also know from that that I am hardly a Neanderthal thinker. But more significantly, you should know that I spent the majority of my youth in a period before the 1964 Civil rights act was enacted. Which gives that Black portion of me a lot more experience than you even if you are Black by virtue of how young you probably are.

So save your assumptions for people you at least know.

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> You lost the opportunity because the unfortunate,
> savage, brutal, barbaric treatment of black slaves
> for over 300 years which caused this political
> correctness. Dont try and wash your hands now
> because there is centuries of unneccesary blood
> shed that has occured which has brought us to this
> point.

RESPONSE: What the hell does that have to do with trying to help the Black community by stopping Gangsta rappers from glorifying gang violence and referring to Black women as whores. It seems to me that if anything, those gangsta rappers HAVE LEARNED FAR TOO WELL FROM THE VERY RACIST HISTORY THAT YOU TALK ABOUT. How many times have you listened to a gangsta rap tune and heard the "N" word? If you haven't then you don't have enough experience to know what you're talking about.

> Do me a favor man why dont you try and make your
> own argument, this hoe s#it is so played, it has
> been used for like over 5 years now. This is
> proof that you cant think independently cause
> everything you are saying I have been hearing
> republicans say on the radio for years. No wonder
> you are taking about imus being taught how to do
> things, you are actually talking about yourself!

RESPONSE: Again, you are showing your own ignorance! As Phinsfan2 points out above, the rappers were condemned during this Imus affair.

READ HIS RESPONSE AND GET A CLUE! If you are Black (in any part) like me then maybe you ought to be more worried about what (not all Rappers because there are all kind of rappers) Gangster rappers are doing to the Black community.

Listen, Clown, what is the bigger threat to you, Swine Flu or CANCER. It's cancer! You know WHY? It's because cancer kills from WITHIN!

From the year 1617 when the first slave stepped off the boat in Virgina to relatively modern times, Black have overcome OUTRIGHT SLAVERY, the mass revenge killings after emancipation, the Ku Klux Klan ravages of the 1920's and on, By law (De Jure) Segregation that lasted until 1964 and all of the problems with police brutality in the North.

All that happened after all of that White resistance is that Blacks kept succeeding and succeeding!

But once you introduce into the equation Drugs and an attitude among gangster children growing up without the constant reminder that the Black children of the 50's and 60's had that you should not prove the white stereotypes to be correct and that you can excuse everything (even the use of the N word) by what the "White man has done to you," then our success rate has gone WAY DOWN.

If you were more concerned about Black progress than focusing on what you consider to be an insult by a white comedian, even though he learned it from the very people you should be correcting, you would not have posted that ridiculous post.

Date: October 31, 2009 11:44AM

Miami Reppa Wrote:
> Part II
> As I mentioned black rappers do not use the prase
> nappy headed hoes in there songs.
RESPONSE: Only an idiot would think I was not restricting my comments to the type of Gansta rapper who do.

And you concentrate on the"nappy head" part when the most offensive was the whore part.

And what if
> they did, i would think someone with the
> intellegence of "I-man" would not be parroting
> what he hears on the radio. So if I hear a song
> about robbing a bank it is ok to do since I heard
> it on the radio.

RESPONSE; Like I said, Jerk, how do you know I'm not Black myself???????????????????????????????????????????????

You are an imbecile if that is
> what you are saying (maybe the intellegence of a
> sheep). If you dont know you cant justify copying
> what you see on TV or hear on the radio, that is
> why god gave us a brain to think independently
> (well obviously not all of us).

RESPONSE: And are you Black? Or are you a Rapper? What is YOUR PROBLEM. If you are Black and you are defending the People who use the N word and call Black women "Whores" YOU ARE THE IMBECILE!

> I really dont know what to say to that, please
> read this again because I dont know how to respond
> to this... what the black thugs taught him to say-
> what is Imus a f@#kin monkey!!!

RESPONSE: No, NUMBNUTS! He is just a white person who thought that if he heard Black rappers say it then that he could get away with it by using it himself because he figured that it "would be okay" because he had "cover" since Rappers do it.

As Phinsfan2 says that does not make it right but your comment is asinine.

> You lost the opportunity because the unfortunate,
> savage, brutal, barbaric treatment of black slaves
> for over 300 years which caused this political
> correctness. Dont try and wash your hands now
> because there is centuries of unneccesary blood
> shed that has occured which has brought us to this
> point.

RESPONSE: You said this in part 1 and it sounds just as ignorant as it did when I responded to it then. Particularly because you have no idea whether or not that 13/16th in me is not Black!

> Do me a favor man why dont you try and make your
> own argument, this hoe s#it is so played, it has
> been used for like over 5 years now. This is
> proof that you cant think independently cause
> everything you are saying I have been hearing
> republicans say on the radio for years. No wonder
> you are taking about imus being taught how to do
> things, you are actually talking about yourself!

RESPONSE: Again, you are repeating what you said in part 1. But a lame brain only has so much brain power so I guess I'll have to excuse you.

Posted by: berkeley223 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:56AM

Chyren B, if you were any more white you'd be clear.
Preach on Reppa!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:57AM

Leon In Denver Wrote:

> Christ, I heard exactly what he said. It was funny
> for any intelligent human being and not insulting.
> That is fact.

Thats all i needed to hear. I didnt read what he said and if it wasnt insulting then whats the big deal.

White blacks asian latin etc ect...We just need to all learn to get along with each other and stop hating each other.

Date: October 31, 2009 11:59AM

sort of off topic, but since when did Brian Gresie start broadcasting? Last I heard he was still in the league. Watching him call the UM/Wake game and he sounds like just like his dad.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:06PM

Mike O would you post a link next time i have been going nuts trying to see the article. I tried the news wire here and it isnt there. Maybe i missed it.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:13PM

1) this is Brain Griese's first year broadcasting. He is great at it.

2) Don Imus is a racist. The comment wasn't a joke or funny. Wait, check that....it was FUNNY TO THE OTHER RACISTS WHO THINK LIKE IMUS!! Don Imus expects the world to laugh when he says racist things about innocent college girls who have done nothing wrong. If someone went on the air and started mocking his innocent son who has autism (or whatever disease he has) I bet he would be livid. So its ok for him to pick on innocent kids, but I bet if someone did to his, it would be a very different story. He fits right in on FOX NEWS with the other racists at that channel. Like when Michelle Obama gave a speech last year and they put on the scroll under her.."Obama's Baby Mamma"

3) Bob Griese is LUCKY he is getting off with a 1 game suspension. LUCKY!! His comment was race based. He was esentially race baiting. Just like what Rush Limbaugh did at ESPN and still does today. Making a comment with "subbtle racism" and that 'wink-n-nod' tone too it. Where you can't call him out as a full-racist. But reading between the lines, we all "get" what Bob Griese was saying.

In my opinion Political Correctness hasn't gone too far......it hasn't gone far enough!!!!!!

Date: October 31, 2009 12:15PM

Date: October 31, 2009 12:19PM

Thank You mike .

Date: October 31, 2009 12:27PM

WTH...Is that all he said???

He is out getting a taco???

Can someone explain to me the sarcasm on this please. Maybe im too lazy to read this thread.

What was it meaning that he was latin????How can that be a shot at latins....? I dont get it.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:35PM

if they were talking about a black race car driver and Bob Griese said...."he is probably eating some fried chicken and watermelon" would that be oK???? Hell no. it would be offensive.

Just like saying this hispanic/latin/mexican/columbian whatever the heck this race car driver is ...."he is probably eating a taco" is offensive to his race of people!!!

Look at it this way, FOR EXAMPLE, if your brother/cousin/son..etc played Outside Linebacker for lets say Michigan St. Bob Griese is doing a Mich St game and they shoot to a shot of your relative on the sideline with his helmet off and he is white and has shaved the hair off his head and is bald and Bob says..."probably a nazi skin head there". Is that OK???? Or would you be up in arms? Because a white guy with a shaved head must be a nazi skin-head. I mean fits the sterotype right???

Why would anyone get worked up?? Just a little fun Bob is having. The country is to PC right??? PLEASE!!!! You would go bonkers!! I mean why not let everyone just use every negative sterotype on TV when talking about anyone! What's the big deal.....until it happens to you of course!!

Date: October 31, 2009 12:42PM

he said he's eating a taco, not that he's a skin head, there's a big difference. also he apologized immediately.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:46PM

I see where you are going with it mike.

Well im not offended by it at all. Get it?????

Its just a harmless joke IMO.

Date: October 31, 2009 12:54PM

Date: October 31, 2009 12:55PM

yes of course it *could* be offensive, but only if you get offended by it. my point is why is everyone so quick to be offended by everything these days? sticks and stones as someone said--isn't that what we were all taught? now it's all about who can get the most indignant about the littlest things.
MikeO I am sure your feeling offended at all of the perceived slights in the world makes you feel good, but come on bro

Date: October 31, 2009 12:58PM

Mike im latin.........If its not a big deal can i ask what background are you???

Date: October 31, 2009 01:05PM

Im white/Italian.

And like I said, it might not be offensive to you. But if its offensive to even 1 person, that isn't good. And this was CLEARLY offensive to more than 1 person to generate a suspension. That's all I'm saying.

Stuff like this is "bigger than 1 person". And ESPN is in the right to suspend the guy. ESPN didn't overreact. It isn't like Griese was fired.

ESPN did nothing wrong here!! That's my point

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.