HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The announcers were pissing me off!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The announcers were pissing me off!
Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: October 13, 2009 02:54AM

Was it just me or was the East coast bias in full effect last night? All 3 boobs just couldn't stop gushing about everything the Jets were doing, especially Gruden. I get it that noone really picked them before the game started but during the game it was making me sick. I normally done give a rats ass about this kinda of stuff but this was a bit too much. Thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The announcers were pissing me off!
Posted by: dolfanmark ()
Date: October 13, 2009 02:59AM

Gruden was effusive in his praise for the Wildcat, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams, Chad Henne, and our O-Line. So, no, I didn't feel that way at all.

Posted by: Aria ()
Date: October 13, 2009 03:58AM

I also thought Gruden was more pro-phin than that, but he has been a fan of the wildcat and our execution of it for a while. He seems to like interesting and different playcalling which is why he was so excited about the game. Henning's offense versus ryan's blitz you from anywhere d. I thought I would dislike gruden as an announcer but I think his coaching experience makes him look at a broader picture of the game.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 13, 2009 04:26AM

All the prognosticators seemed to favor the Jets. Their record was better, their defense considered more stout, and that tone carried over for a time during the game with all three sportscasters. However, once they saw how methodically the Dolphins were driving the ball, and how game they were, the notion that the Jets would clobber the Dolphins was swept away. The Dolphins may be more than one dimensional now, and teams playing them, will have to reconsider the many faces of offense the team can put on the field. The season is just beginning for the Dolphins. Go Fins! hot smiley

Posted by: (R/J)ay ()
Date: October 13, 2009 04:28AM

Jaworski really hates the Wildcat offense and Gruden loves it. That's not really a Dolphins/Jets thing. That's something they've been going back and forth with all season.

Posted by: Khaziglu ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:00AM

I mostly agree with Dolphaholic, For the first three quarters all they talked about was the Jets.

We get a swing pass that nets 5 yds and it is what a great play the Jets defender did to not allow more yards, Sanchez gets a short pass that nets 3 yards and it is what a great job he did keeping the downs manageable.

The Jets bias started in the pregame and went on till the 4th quarter when it was clear that not only could we win the game but we should win the game.

Posted by: Phinjim ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:10AM

Try not to take it too personal, cause there is one truth with announcers...

They all really like to look like they know what they are talking about

You are seeing a lot of backing up and crow sandwiches today.

- Gruden I thougt was fair, and no I didn't see him as biased
- Jaws has never been open minded, and he looks like a bafoon today

All the announcers do it every week. Who ever looks like they are going to win ... the tide changes in their favor.

- Made Jaws look pretty wishy washy as the lead changed hands 5 times in the last 1/2 or maybe it was the last quarter.

last night was one of the most exciting games played in a long time. Enjoy watching JAWS and most of the other pundants much on the crow, for two weeks due to the FINS having a bye week, and playing another premier team (Saints) when they return

Date: October 13, 2009 06:26AM

Khaziglu said; "We get a swing pass that nets 5 yds and it is what a great play the Jets defender did to not allow more yards, Sanchez gets a short pass that nets 3 yards and it is what a great job he did keeping the downs manageable."

Thats the exact kind of stuff that was driving me nuts, not to mention I dont think they mentioned Sparanos name once the whole 1st half but kept showing that fat tub of ego and raving about him like he's a HOF coach already. OK I'm done, I just had to vent to some fellow fin-fans.

Date: October 13, 2009 06:35AM

LOL you are funny.

Try to take consolation, that for every non statement last night, they are talking about your beloved FINS non-stop today!

They will talk infinitem today in order to distance themselves from their biased "I need to be right because i read it somewhere" opinion they had the day of the game.

Is it just me???
Posted by: Surferdude ()
Date: October 12, 2009 07:52PM

I turn on ESPN pre-game and all I saw was jets, jets, jets. In 30 minutes they had a 30 second spot on the Dolphins. Then in the game it seems all the questionable calls go against the Dolphins. I couldn't believe that 49 yard pass interference call. Then after the game one of the ESPN announcers says the Jets let one slip away. I think if the Dolphins didn't pull that game out I would have had a stroke!!! Finally one goes their way late in the 4th quarter.

Re: Is it just me???
Date: October 12, 2009 07:54PM

Yes, the announcing was extremely biased in favor of the Jets before and during the broadcast. Was it really surprising, though?

Posted by: Phinsfan2 ()
Date: October 12, 2009 07:59PM

Posted by: Luis75 ()
Date: October 12, 2009 08:00PM

Overall if you have payed attention in recent times we get absolutely no respect. When we win the other team lets it slide, when we go 11-5 we had an easy schedule, and every week the majority picks against us. No respect. Thats ok tho. i love being laughed at when i say im a dolphins fan here in LA cuz i know they I will be the last one laughing on games like this one. GO PHINS!

everyone in sporcenter can keep kissing rex ryan and sanchez ass but that wont take form the fact we straight up BEAT THEM!

Posted by: Surferdude ()
Date: October 12, 2009 08:01PM

I didn't think the broadcast team was biased. I meant the pre-game and after game comments and story-lines.

Date: October 12, 2009 08:11PM

Date: October 12, 2009 08:18PM

Okay, biased was maybe a poor choice of words, since they weren't really ragging on Miami. But they were basically talking about Sanchez and Edwards all night.

And Jaworski really does hate the Wildcat for some reason.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: October 13, 2009 07:23AM

Ron Jaworski was a QB; a conventional pocket passing QB. This could easily be why he doesn't care for that helter-skelter RB formation. Who knows.

Sparano is still a new coach. Henne is a new QB. Our defense is spotty and we run a "gimmick offense" that is so unconventional in the NFL that most sportscasters discount it and the credibility of the whole Dolphin team. The team has not garnered respect yet.

Patience and continued success is the answer to whatever disrespect the commentators give right now. Win another division. Make a game of it during the playoffs. Get to the Superbowl...and remarks and beliefs will change about the coach and the team as a whole.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 13, 2009 08:18AM

To me, Gruden was very fair....he priased us all night. Jaworski never even in a light hearted way mentioned anything about the Wildcat. Its almost as he doesnt even want to acknowledge it. And Mike Tirico was all over Mark Sanchez nuts ALL NIGHT.

They replayed the long pass from Sanchez to Edwards about 6 times. They showed Henne to Ginn maybe twice.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: October 13, 2009 08:19AM

Gruden's ok but I think he gets blinders on with one subject a little to much, last week it was Favre (which happens with alot of announcers) and this week it was Sanchez/Ryan. He even praised them for bringing in Favre last year and in hindsight that turned out to be arguably one of the worst personnel moves of the whole off-season. Maybe I was a little to sensitive last night because of that whole NY/East coast bias with ESPN.

Posted by: Aria ()
Date: October 13, 2009 08:47AM

Wasn't it Gruden who kept coming back to the Phins OL and their tough performance. I remeber at one point someone, and I thought it was Gruden, saying that it didn't matter which formation they used widcat or not, they were blocking really well.

Date: October 13, 2009 09:16AM

There haven't been anything but praise for the day after broadcasters ... everyone loves a parade and the rats are quick to jump off of a sinking ship.

As colonel said above:

> Patience and continued success is the answer to whatever disrespect the commentators give right now.

End of story.

Posted by: Jim B ()
Date: October 13, 2009 02:51PM

All of the pre-game prognosticators picked the Jets to win...except for Ditka & Keyshawn. Of course, Ditka had his connection to Ricky and the running game and Keyshawn knows what type of team Parcells can create.

The other six loosers sited how incredible the Jets defense is...was...whatever.

Then we rammed that openning drive down there throats.

What defense?

Then they worshipped their cornerback Revis as being possibly the top shutdown corner in the NFL.

Then Ted Ginn Jr blew past him and waited in stride for that perfect pass from Henne. It was great seeing Ginn out in front of 3 Jet defenders and that ball hit him right at chest level for the TD.

Posted by: MikeO ()
Date: October 13, 2009 02:54PM

Gruden is by far the BEST color commentator in the business today. And the dude has only been doing it for like 5 games.

Honest, he knows his stuff, he tells it like it is, no sugar coating, and he is direct and to the point.

Only Phil Simms is on his level.

Date: October 13, 2009 05:01PM

I like Gruden and my critizism of him is really minor and on the knit-picky level, I do think he's only gonna be in the booth for 1 season though as he will be in South Bend next year after they shit-can Wiess

The Penalties/Refs and Camera crews were pissing me off!
Posted by: cahokietim ()
Date: October 14, 2009 08:55AM

I actually thought the announcers did OK, I too was having Edwards-envy (hoping the Ginn-sighting is the BEGINNING not a single-occurrence).

What pissed me off was the Penalties and Referee's, seemed to favor the Jets too much (I know, all biased fans will say the same thing). FOUR 1st downs for the Jets via penalty. Two come to mind as bad calls (and I believe the announcers said the same): Will Allen for a bump at 5.5 yards away from the play and the Edwards-Goal Line pass interference. The Pass interference at game speed looked worse than in slow-motion replay so I'd give the ref a little lee-way EXCEPT for at that time in the game that close of a foul should not be called. On the very same play, Taylor was getting mauled (hand-to-face) getting to Sanchez. Either BOTH penalties should have been called or BOTH get ignored.

Penalties: some the Dolphins deserved and need to fix, ESPECIALLY with a vanilla defense that needs to get off the field when it forces 4th down. Gabriel's illegal hit was stupid.

Lastly, WHY were the camera crews showing so many JETS fans, THAT was getting old.

Posted by: Aqua&Orange ()
Date: October 14, 2009 05:35PM

Mike, Phil Simms is not on Grudens level. Phil Simms said the Wildcat is a gimmick offense. And also proclaimed that the "Wild Horses" formation is better AND more advanced.

That sounds pretty idiotic to me, and thats straight from Simms' mouth. He is garbage.

---------------------

"When you suck long enough, you get a Hickey"

Date: October 14, 2009 08:36PM

Date: October 15, 2009 05:57AM

> And yes, the wildcat is a gimmick offense. Anything that you only run for 20-25% of you offensive plays or less is a gimmick.

Semantics. 20-25% of your offense is a huge amount and anything but what I would leave in the category for "gimmick" as it relates to how the dolphins are using it.

"Gimmick" by my definiton is an occassional play aimed at catching the opponent off guard and advantage due to their not being prepared or ready for it.

truth is miami has integrated it into their base package because opponents have not been able to stop it effectively (save baltimare last year).

Miami has also honed execution to bring out the talent unique to the team, and take advatage of the blocking schemes it provides.

Bottom line it is no more a gimmick than Tom brady and short passes to wes Welker is a gimmick. It stays as a tool in the tool box until someone stops it. Then it changes, and remains an opton until it is the right match up against the right situation.

Date: October 15, 2009 07:38AM

Date: October 15, 2009 08:12AM

At what point would/should it be considered a formation? At one time i'm sure the spread offense was new and considered a gimmick but it eventually evolved into an accepted formation, same as the shotgun etc. The Dolphins didn't create this new formation (they brought it over from college) but if it remains succesful and if more teams perfect it they will be known as the innovators of a new formation. I still don't like the word "gimmick" for it and I think like Ronnie said anyone that calls it that just dont understand it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.