HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tua
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 27, 2023 11:28AM

I saw most of the Miami games on TV last season, but missed the Balt game. I just watched on NFLN the replay of that game. Tua is a damn good QB. He decides very quickly on where to go with the ball, and has a very quick release. And....as Hill has said on many occasions, Tua is very accurate. Now....

McDaniel has to work on passing plays where Tua doesn't have to depend on the middle of the field. Tua CAN hit the outside receiver, but McDaniel has to focus on those type of plays to get the opposing D to open up the middle.

I'm not a physical trainer, but I hope there is a way to strengthen Tua so he can get the ball further down the field. I saw quite a few passes that he did complete to Hill, but Hill quite often had to slow down to catch the ball. If Tua can get it down the field and allow his receivers to run under the ball, there will be no stopping the Miami passing game.

Miami's OLine also has to get better to allow
Tua the time and to prevent him from getting injured (again).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tua
Date: March 27, 2023 01:03PM

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't want to draft TUA. Too injury prone, undersized. And some of that proved true....but He had some moments last season that were incredible. He has the ability to really be special. I was right about some of his negatives but I was really wrong about his positives.

This season I'm hoping the injuries are behind him and he can start every game. He can be great.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 27, 2023 02:35PM

TCPF at the time I was also in favor of Herbert primarily due to the injuries which have raised even more concern since then, but thinking add some more OL depth, RB and TE weapons and this offense could be #1

Could we see an all Offense draft?

Date: March 27, 2023 05:55PM

>
> Could we see an all Offense draft?

If we draft by need absolutely. Only needs not addressed in FA were Mainly Offense.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 28, 2023 04:58AM

captkoi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Miami's OLine also has to get better to allow
> Tua the time and to prevent him from getting
> injured (again).

OLine and Tua both have to mature together. Unlike most I think Eichenberg and Jackson can get the job done. I saw some good things from Jackson early on that gave me some confidence, I know personally that high ankle sprains can be a season killer. Staying healthy and coaching is the key to our OLine. Speaking of coaching we bring in a guy whose players called incompetent and whose hall of fame QB was getting the hell kicked out of him. Butch Barry's hire is on McDaniels, sheesh. Aside from injuries I blame the oline issues on coaching.

Tua (who I like) has the worst feel for pressure that I have ever seen in a NFL QB. He is gutsy but that is going to get him killed. Get rid of the ball when the play is not there. He is not in college anymore and has to realize these guys are bigger, stronger and faster. Dude is kind of cement headed about some things. I remember that MS ST game he took that terrible hit. Saban called him over to take him out. He wanted to go in and Saban relented. You could feel the vibe on MS ST defense, 'these guys are blowing us out, his coach tried to take him out and he wants to come back in, we are going to put him down like a mad dog'. Good 70's southern football and on the next play they rocked his a**. Tua's gotta play for the team and realize staying healthy and throwing away the ball sometimes is not a bad thing.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 28, 2023 09:02AM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> I'll be the first to admit, I didn't want to draft
> TUA. Too injury prone, undersized. And some of
> that proved true....but He had some moments last
> season that were incredible. He has the ability
> to really be special. I was right about some of
> his negatives but I was really wrong about his
> positives.
>
> This season I'm hoping the injuries are behind him
> and he can start every game. He can be great.

Treasure....I also didn't really want to draft Tua, as you said, because of his injury history. I wanted Herbert.

Saying that, Tua has done a good job....when he isn't injured.

Let's hope all that changes; he gets a good OLine to protect him and he doesn't hit his head on the ground when he gets sacked.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 28, 2023 11:13AM

Regarding the OL and Jackson & Eich, I can see reason for some cautious optimism for Jackson due to his athleticism and his relatively decent play for some limited stretches. Eichenberg has almost always looked like he's in way over his head physically, technique, etc. No part of his game has ever given me any indication that he could even be a viable part (perhaps still the worst single part) of a top 1/2 OL. I'm no OL expert, so others may see some potential that can be tapped there to get him to serviceable.

Tua has impressed me with the combination of his native, out-of-the-box raw capabilities (timing, accuracy, placement) and his ability to improve on focus areas. Certainly, there are areas where I haven't been as impressed, as well. Last year, in addition to learning a whole new system, I recall that a focus area was deep passing. He really improved there (though raw arm strength will always keep him from looking like Herbert). It seems that protecting himself is a real focus area this offseason, and - if history is an indicator - he'll likely improve a lot there.

Date: March 29, 2023 04:00AM

Date: March 29, 2023 06:32AM

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 30, 2023 05:02AM

Quoting Mizz's invisible post from earlier. This outdated version of the message board software isn't allowing links, so remove the spaces within the link to see it.

mizzou15 Wrote:
> I actually liked Eichenberg better than Jackson in
> college. Both played at programs where you have to
> ball out and know what you are doing to play. Its
> not just given to you at N Dame and USC.I still
> point to coaching. If a coach cannot relay what
> the offense is supposed to do players will look
> confused. We later read that the OC had to spend
> time with the OL because the coach had issues.
> Plus we had 2 OL coaches and they still could not
> properly relay instructions to the players? I
> still think we will have issues w/ Barry.
>
> video of Eichenberg at N Dame
> https : // www . youtube . com/watch?v=6M_69H7nE7g

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 30, 2023 08:35AM

Thanks for making it visible.

I do agree about the relative importance of OL coaching. New England had an under-the-radar gem of an OL coach for years who was able to make that unit greater than the sum of its parts.

I'd probably take great OL coaching over great individual players on the line. Both is ideal, of course.

We've had such poor OL coaching for so many years that we've probably ended up wasting a good bit of undeveloped talent we've had.

Date: March 30, 2023 09:40AM

Ha, now I remember video links are not allowed. Thanks JC!

Date: March 30, 2023 02:13PM

tsstamper Wrote:

>
> We've had such poor OL coaching for so many years
> that we've probably ended up wasting a good bit of
> undeveloped talent we've had.

Great point. thumbs up
A few other positions as well.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 24, 2023 03:04PM

'Tua is a damn good QB. He decides very quickly on where to go with the ball'
I disagree with that statement as written. I do think that Tua CAN be a good QB, but if the play breaks down and he can't get the ball to one of his primary receivers, he looks lost.

Rick

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 24, 2023 03:16PM

I'm not sure that I would characterize Dante Scarnecchia as 'under-the-radar'.

Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.