Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do NOT miss the upcoming E60 episode on the 1972 season!
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Do NOT miss the upcoming E60 episode on the 1972 season!
Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 03, 2023 11:35AM

To old timers and relative young-uns alike:

I have recently learned that ESPN is going to air on Sunday the 5th, an episode of their E60 series (which I admittedly never watch) that commemorates the 50th anniversary of the 1972 undefeated season (or what I like to refer to as: "The Only Thing We Have Left as Dolphins Fans"winking smiley.

The name of the episode is "Perfect Machine." My DVR is set. I saw the trailer on Vimeo and I LOVED it. .. here's the link to the trailer (remove spaces and replace the word DOT with an actual dot):

https:// vimeo DOT com/792753125

Have there been films on the perfect season before? Sure... but this one has newer interviews, as well as some archival footage (seeing as Shula and too many others are no longer with us). And dammit as I said earlier, it's all we've got left.

In the trailer, Mercury Morris and Csonka do not disappoint.

Mercury points to a bottle of Dom Perignon champagne in his china cabinet and says: 'I'm saving this for the NEXT undefeated team. You want this Dom Perignon? All you gotta do is beat EVERYBODY.' grinning smiley
The guys have all gotte older but Merc looks great. He's even got visible biceps--so proud of him after all he's been through.

Csonka said (referring to Patsies 18-1 season) 'they came THIS close (gestures with thumb and forefinger). But in this space here (referring to the space between thumb and forefinger) is the entire UNIVERSE.' grinning smiley

The guys are getting older and dying off but I love how they still enjoy these memories. I was a kid when this happened and will never forget it myself

I demand that each and every one of you watch this show on Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do NOT miss the upcoming E60 episode on the 1972 season!
Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: February 03, 2023 11:41AM

Lol...i wish he would had said.....this don perinon is for the next dolphins team that wins the superbowl.

Winning the superbowl is going to be easier than going undefeated yikes.

And these days you have to win like 19 straight. Ouch

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: February 03, 2023 11:44AM

That don perinon will age 1000 more years i get the feeling.

Hey thats all we had going for a long time.

And we can brag about it for ever.

Date: February 03, 2023 12:14PM

Not me. I really feel if we keep the Nucleus of this team together we can do something special.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: February 06, 2023 05:04AM

I watched the episode, and of course...I enjoyed it. Then again I'm a sucker for pretty much anything that involves the 1972 season.

Did I learn anything new? A little bit, there were some new interviews interspersed with archival footage.

Jane Chastain, the original female sportscaster (for real) was interviewed. That brought back memories. I remember seeing her on Miami's Channel 4. As a young boy, it was difficult not to notice only one female sports reporter interviewing Shula and the players....and if anyone else out there grew up in Miami, you just *might* also have had a childhood crush on her as I did. C'mon...a brunette who knows all about football--instant crush! She's closing in on her 80s and I've gotta say she still looks pretty good.

Also Tony Segreto, another channel 4 reporter was interviewed. I remember him as well from the old days.

As for the players, there were some interviews from guys you rarely hear from, such as Charlie Babb, Doug Crusan, and Jim DelGaizo. That was fun for me to see.

One story that I'd never heard before was about how Coach Wilson (predecessor to Shula) would let the players ditch practice if it was too hot and go swimming instead...obviously that was in contrast to how Shula ran the team. grinning smiley

Also fun to see was assorted clips of home movies of people having super bowl parties in January 1973. We're talking 8mm film movies (this was way before digital cams, cell phones, and home video cameras, of course). Everyone gathered around a rabbit eared TV (that's how we watched games back then), the place decorated with aqua and orange crepe streamers and people jumping into the backyard pool when the game was over....with dress clothes on.

I do recommend that everyone try to watch this, even if you're too young to remember those days--it's a good snapshot of the environment back then.
JC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.