HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Poll: Was this past season a success?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Poll: Was this past season a success?
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 28, 2023 05:07AM

Poll
Was this past season a success?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
10 votes were received.
Yes, heading in a new direction. 3

30%
No, too much of the same old let down. 4

40%
Undecided, still too many questions 3

30%

If nothing else, this past rebuild has shown that the front office doesn't have a clue what they are doing. We had a complete tear-down, got rid of all the young talent, amassed a king's ransom in draft picks, got rid of some bloated contracts and drafted a franchise QB at #5. We had a great cap situation. The future was bright and the road to the SB was clear. What happened?
Grier whiffed on the draft picks, squandered the war chest on high priced free agents and, in year 4 of the rebuild we pretty much ended up in the same place where we started, a .500 team. Yes, we made the play-offs but, only because the play-off format was expanded to include an extra wild card team and we barely stumbled into that. Remember that the Jest and the Past were still in contention up until the last week of the season. Forget about the "what if" or the hope for the future, this past season was a failure. Next season is a different poll.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poll: Was this past season a success?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 28, 2023 06:58AM

I voted undecided.

Regarding the 2019/2020 heavy lifting of our rebuild, I think huge mistakes were made.
- winning a couple of meaningless games at the end of 2019 that put other teams in the driver's seat for pick of the litter in the 2020 draft
- blowing the overwhelming majority of 2020 FA spend on 1-year rentals
- drafting players like Jackson, Igbonoghene & Eichenberg as 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder who cost picks to move up and get.
All of these are massive misses that kept the rebuild from being anything close to what it could have been.

That said, if the talent on the field has to be of a certain caliber that includes a number of elite (or at least near elite players), we have unquestionably added players who clearly are already elite or have legit potential to become elite in the near-term. If we're fortunate enough to experience the same level of roster health that Philly, KC, Buffalo (to name a few) had in 2022, I think we are able to compete at those kinds of levels. I'm reminded that an announcer at a Philly game toward the end of the season sort of casually mentioned that the Eagles had been about the healthiest team all along...but when Hurts missed a handful of games, they lost most of them (I think 2 of 3).

Your post said to forget looking ahead, but given the circumstances of overall roster health in 2022, I think it's near impossible to think about whether 2022 was a success without looking to what could have been (and could be in the future). To that end, if a new DC can squeeze more juice out of the orange...if we experience some luck on the health side...if McD continues to develop as a HC it may be that we look back on things done in 2022 that significantly contributed to long-term sustained high-level competitiveness. To be fair, certainly the opposite could be the case, as well.

Date: January 30, 2023 06:15AM

Absolutely yes.

Alot of questions answered. We were rated #3 over all in the power rankings at one point. We made a big stride forward. Injuries held us back along with questionable coaching. Unless a Superbowl is the only way to garner success we definitely made steps in the right direction and know where we need to improve.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 30, 2023 12:22PM

Yes, barely.....about 52.9% yes....that was also our winning percentage.

yes, because we had a winning record with a new head coach, despite the multiple injuries to multiple QBs.

Yes, because we ended the regular season with some momentum, beating the Jets and coming close to beating the Bills in round one of the playoffs.

We have a long way to go, but I think we exceeded expectations. next year? we'll see!

Date: January 30, 2023 06:08PM

And don't forget JC we beat the Bills for the first time in a long while!

Lost the next season game and the Playoff game by like 4 points total.

Made huge strides from season past.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 31, 2023 10:28AM

Minimal improvement at best. Not enough, IMO to be optimistic for 2023 season. Off-season changes will determine if we advance further or take two steps backwards.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 01, 2023 10:25AM

Agree 110% with what Hooligan said.

We were going to do things the right way and 4 years in we're still .500

That's on Chris Grier. One thing not mentioned among the whiffs was his signature hire, Brian Flores.

We have the same oline issue we had when the rebuild started.

I really think it's time to show Grier the door and after the draft I'd fire the entire scouting department and let the new GM bring in his own scouts.

Date: February 02, 2023 06:47AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Minimal improvement at best. Not enough, IMO to be
> optimistic for 2023 season. Off-season changes
> will determine if we advance further or take two
> steps backwards.

Well that's always the case no? That goes for the Chiefs and the Eagles too.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 03, 2023 04:29AM

I think we are heading in the right direction. Making playoffs w/ a rookie coach is a positive. Just keep bringing in good coaches. It shows we have players on our roster that we can win with. I like the off season firing of Applebaum and Boyer. I thought the Oline played well in spite of the injuries but reading the press it appears a lot of that was due to Smith the OC . We need a coach who can run his unit.

I hope Fangio keeps our defensive back coaches they are good.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: February 03, 2023 11:09AM

I also think we took a stepin the right direction...i think we hit on the headcoach. He was learning as the year progressed. Good to know he hasnot hit his ceiling yet imho. Had tua not gotten hurt we probably go into the second round. Any other team that has as many injuries as wehad and loses their star qb would had lost 3 or 4 more games. I think tua was out for like 6 games right?

Wentinto the playoffs with a third string rookie qb and fought till the end against a good team.

This tells me that the dlphins dont give up and play hard for mcd.

One day we will stay healthy and make the superbowl.

Hopefully that day comes soon!

GO PHINS

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 03, 2023 11:17AM

I agree 100% This staff overcame some serious hurdles that previous staffs would have caved under. QB, Oline and db injuries rookie coach and 3rd string qb.

Date: February 03, 2023 11:23AM

Exactly!

Date: February 03, 2023 11:35AM

And let the record show i voted the second one same letdown as always.

Reason for was i was on a high note at the beginning of season. Tua looked like marino. And then to come back to reality takes time to get over it.

It was all due to injuries to both sides of the ball.

I realized a long time ago that luck is a huge part of pro football.

One of these days we will avoid all the injuries. Or at least some. Every team get knicked up at one time or another throughout the year.

One of these days.

Date: February 03, 2023 12:21PM

Good points.

No doubt a good dose of luck helps. But sometimes you have to make your own luck.

TUA has his issues.......but he does seem to have a Horseshoe up his ass at times.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: February 03, 2023 12:25PM

News is that Fangio has chosen Miami, although nothing has been finalized, as yet, so stay tuned.

Tua is next year's starter; just need to bring in a good vet to back him up, one that does not have an injury history.

Speaking of Tua, McDaniel is going to have to work with Tua and hone his skills. Teams figured him out (first read) and defensed it, thus Miami's losing streak at the end, before his concussion. Have to make Tua read quicker; first read not there, move to second. Gonna take a lot of offseason work to get Tua used to the change. Quick release, but that option isn't always there.

Miami is in the hole as far as the cap goes, even with the league-wide increase. Lot of decisions will have to be made, plus no first round pick and a very low second rounder.

Was this past season a success? Somewhat. We saw what Tua can do, especially with his two speedsters. OLine did pretty well, and if they can improve.....let's see what Fangio can do (if he truly does sign with Miami).

Date: February 04, 2023 03:29AM

I don't know. Tom Brady did the same screen pass bullshit for 20 yrs.The difference is he had guys like Matt light and Logan Mankins protecting him and outstanding blocking tightends.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 04, 2023 10:59AM

Ye, this season was a success. We played better, we are deeper overall, we were at the top of the league for a pretty good portion of the season and even our much-maligned offensive line played better. injuries to guys we could not replace doomed the season from not being better. But in the end we did something we have not done in a long time; we made the playoffs. We still have critical work to do, however.

Date: February 14, 2023 03:53PM

Absolute proof we are a better team this year:

ESPN released early NFL power rankings for next season, and the Dolphins earned the No. 8 spot, sandwiched between the Los Angeles Chargers at seven and the Minnesota Vikings at nine.

“While operating at 100%, this team proved it could be among the best in the NFL,” beat reporter Marcel Louis-Jacques wrote. “The problem came when the Dolphins were at 100% for only a handful of weeks. The return of Brandon Jones and Nik Needham should shore up the defense — which stands to improve with the addition of coordinator Vic Fangio.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 15, 2023 01:54PM

That is what gives me by far the most hope. For 20 years, we've had games on our schedule where if we brought our A game and "they" brought their B- game, they'd still likely beat us. Last year was totally different in that regard but we only got to see glimpses cuz we weren't near 100% for so many games.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.