HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          The off season has begun.......
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
The off season has begun.......
Date: January 16, 2023 05:43AM

Last year at this time things looked pretty bleak. Flores gate was in full swing. Rooster looked like a mess.

Got to say that was one of the best off seasons to date. We still have a ton of questions. I'm kinds relived we don't have to wait another week just to get more beat up.

Going to be an interesting off season. Buckle up.....lock those storm shutters......

New QB? Again we need at least 2 studs on the oline. Some depth on defense and special teams needs a re do from the coaching down.

Go get'em!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The off season has begun.......
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 16, 2023 05:59AM

Hopefully we can get healthy and make some key changes. A great game with all the players we had lost. A few catches from stars and it could have been a huge upset

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 17, 2023 05:22AM

Back to the drawing board...once again. Coaching jobs need to be upgraded especially keeping McDaniels from calling plays. He is mediocre at best.

Player wise...we have the makings of a very good, competitive team. However, part of the reality of the game is that starters will get injured and either play hurt and at a reduced level, or be temporarily out with 2nd string players stepping in to do the work. This is were things really need to improve. Back up players, need to be almost as good as the starters.

QB problem still exists with fragile Tua and back-ups with physical injury prone problem and/or inexperience with the team.

Unless then QB problem is solved the team will only be so-so. Secondary needs player improvement too. What else is new?

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: January 17, 2023 01:17PM

Bevell to OC before the Jets steal him

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 18, 2023 02:08AM

4 years into the rebuild and we still have the same questions. Grier was given the keys and did a good job in 2019 accumulating picks and clearing out cap space. HE hired Flores to coach the team.

He's totally whiffed on his high oline picks aside from Hunt. 2020's 3 1st rounders should be building blocks. Tua is good...when he's available, Jackson is a bust, and Iggy, with a depleted secondary, was a healthy scratch the past few games including the playoffs. That's on Grier.

So year 4, when we should have been fighting for the division or better playoff seeding we were fighting for our playoff lives. You are what your record says you are. We're still a .500 club 4 years in.

It's time to get rid of Grier. Send Boyer and Crossman with him.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 18, 2023 08:38AM

I'd expand on the 2020 Grier disappointment. Setting Tua aside, we had money and picks.

Money:
- Byron Jones: expensive and caused an issue w/X's comp. Until this year, I'd have said he's mostly worth it cuz our D is built from the back forward. TBD if he's even remotely close to "worth it" in the future.
- Kyle Von Noy: I think he was essentially brought in to install Flores' D on the field. That may have been important, but in terms of performance he was just ok and gone after a year.
- Shaq Lawson: pretty good money paid for pretty average performance. Gone after a year.
- Ereck Flowers: he was our big spend on OL that year. Given the context of starting 3 rookies we needed some solid veteran presence to bring some stability. He was just ok performance-wise, but teamed with Karras to be the vet stability. I wanted 1 elite and 1 top-half OL that year (like with Armstead and Williams this year) to go with our rookies. That said, we paid Washington a massive % of his remaining contract to take him off our hands after, you guessed it, one year. We also let Karras go after one year, though he wasn't a high-dollar FA.

Picks: you've documented the 1st round misses. Hunt & Davis were good value in the 2nd, in my opinion and Brandon Jones was a solid 3rd round choice.

If you have to point to 2nd & 3rd rounders (again, setting aside Tua who is complex) to show how all that money and high draft picks returned value for the 10 players I've outlined you've done a poor job of what was probably the most important player acquisition timeframe in the past 20+ years of the franchise.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 18, 2023 04:19PM

Our big problem this year is that we have 31 free agent players, and we don't have money to spend without doing some machinations.

Free agents:

OT Brandon Shell
OT Gregg Little
OT Kendall Lamm
OT Geron Christian
OT Eric Fisher
C Michael Deiter
LB Elandon Roberts
LB Melvin Ingram
LB Duke Riley
LB Andrew Van Ginkel
LB Sam Eguavon
WR Trent Sherfield
WR River Cracraft
RB Raheem Mostert
RB Jeff Wilson Jr.
RB Miles Gaskin
RB Salvon Ahmed
FB John Lovett
DB Eric Rowe
P Thomas Morstead
TE Mike Gesicki
TE Adam Shaheen
CB Nik Needham
CB Justin Bethel
CB Elijah Campbell
DL John Jenkins
DL JUstin Zimmer
DE Trey Flowers
DE Porter Gustin
QB Teddy Bridgewater
S Clayton Fejedelem

I would love to sign these free agent players, but money will be an issue...

QB Jimmy Garoppolo, Taylor Heineke, Mike White, Derek Carr, or Baker Mayfield, to compete with Tua and serve as the backup.
S Jordan Poyer
LB Tremaine Edmunds
TE Dalton Schultz
RT Mike McGlinchy
WR DJ Chark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2023 04:23PM by Ken.

Date: January 18, 2023 04:40PM

Good points on the free agents.

Some don't deserve to resigned. Some are imperative, others are luxury. Giesicki is one that you know he will do well elsewhere in another offensive system . But we need our tightends to block and Giesicki can't.

Each player needs to be broken down , and thuer strengths and weaknesses assessed. Hopefully they trim the fat and keep the beef.

We were not going deep in the playoffs. I'm kind of glad we got an extra week jump start on the roster.

Oline/ special teams depth/ kicker are a priority.

Thompson got us 31 points in the playoffs against an excellent defense. I'm comfortable with him no matter what happens with TUA.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 18, 2023 04:52PM

jsm08 Wrote:

>
> It's time to get rid of Grier. Send Boyer and
> Crossman with him.

I thought Grier made some great moves. TUA is everything we hoped for as a baller......but his injury status is just out of anyone's control.

Besides that what's the big issue with him? Our defense has issues but is a top ten unit. Wilkins is an animal. Our offense as well when healthy.

So much talent on this roster. I'd shake his hand if I met him. We are definitely a better team and headed in the right direction.

Let's see how he handles all these free agents. Who does he let go and who does he bring in?

When we were #31 on the NFL power rankings it's easy to improve to a mediocre 8-8 team.

But improving from this point ... being a top ten team.....a Top 3 when healthy..........this is when the magic happens or not. The window to improve from here before we have to Jetison waddle or Hill .That window is smaller and time is not on our side.

Grier put us in a position to succeed. We need to stay healthy and get a small dose of luck.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 19, 2023 01:43AM

Grier has been with this team for 23 years. We've been mediocre that entire time. Not all his fault but he took full control when Gase was fired. We were going to do things the right way and his first major hire was Flores.

Again, he did a great job accumulating picks and clearing the cap in 2019. What he did with that is a different story.

Doing it the right way meant building through the draft and supplementing with FAs. He's totally failed on the oline in the draft. Jackson, Eichenberg, Dieter, Hunt...all top 3 round picks and only Hunt is a keeper. He spent big in FA this year to correct his past mistakes and signed an injury prone LT who was injured all year. Shocker.

All the tannehill debate surrounded around 'get him an oline and rb' and we still haven't done that.

Compare it to the Eagles. They've gone from 4-11-1 in 2020, 9-8 2021 to 14-3 this year. How? Building through the draft. And guess what? They have 2 1st round picks this year to strengthen their roster. We're still a .500 club with the same problems as 2019.

23 years, 5 total control of the roster. Enough is enough.

Date: January 20, 2023 06:32AM

The 1st big move of the offseason is Boyer's departure. Given that he came w/Flores and we sought continuity on defense, the rash of injuries to the secondary especially hurt him as we're built from the back forward on D.

That said, I see this as an opportunity for significant improvement. I don't think he even got production = to the sum of the parts, so to speak, with the players that were available to him. Our D was far from awful, but it didn't meet its potential, IMO. It will be interesting to see how the new hire impacts the players we retain or attempt to acquire.

Date: January 20, 2023 04:02PM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The 1st big move of the offseason is Boyer's
> departure. Given that he came w/Flores and we
> sought continuity on defense, the rash of injuries
> to the secondary especially hurt him as we're
> built from the back forward on D.
>
> That said, I see this as an opportunity for
> significant improvement. I don't think he even
> got production = to the sum of the parts, so to
> speak, with the players that were available to
> him. Our D was far from awful, but it didn't meet
> its potential, IMO. It will be interesting to see
> how the new hire impacts the players we retain or
> attempt to acquire.

No doubt. All good points. The problem with Boyer was he called a full out blitz 60-70% of the time higher % on 3rd down. We have excellent pass rushers but NFL offensive coach's see that and called for short passes right over the middle.

You need to game plan for each team and attack thier weaknesses. You can't blitz blitz blitz and just expect a sack every time.

Zack Thomas watched film every week. He would often change up defensive schemes on the line as he read the plays.we need a coach who could do the same.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 21, 2023 11:36AM

I believe the following defensive players have the potential to be elite or very close:
- Wilkins
- Phillips
- Chubb
- Holland
- Howard
And I think a handful of others could be considered or have potential to be top 1/2 of the league at their position.

I think that would be pretty attractive to potential d-coordinators.

I envy Buffalo where Les Frazier is a fixture at d-coordinator and they play at a high level year in and year out. Fangio feels like a guy who could be that for us. I actually don't know much about him other than his defenses have been highly ranked over the years.

Date: January 21, 2023 03:13PM

JSM08, and yet our O-Line was actually rated higher than Buffalo's unit at the end of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2023 03:15PM by Ken.

Date: January 21, 2023 07:02PM

Ken Wrote:
> JSM08, and yet our O-Line was actually rated
> higher than Buffalo's unit at the end of the
> season.

The main difference is Josh Allen can take a sack without going into the fetal position.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 22, 2023 12:13PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> Ken Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > JSM08, and yet our O-Line was actually rated
> > higher than Buffalo's unit at the end of the
> > season.
>
>
>
> The main difference is Josh Allen can take a sack
> without going into the fetal position.

RE: What does that have to do with the line?

Date: January 22, 2023 08:31PM

Everything.

The Bills oline doesn't have to be as stout. Josh is 6'5" 240. He can get sacked and still get that ball off like he did right before the half in our last regular Game. He will just stare down the reciever and take the hit .

TUA can't and it affects him mentally. He will force throws, take a sack or just miss open recievers becuase he's running for his life. If we keep TUA we need to keep him protected like fort Knox no matter what the stats say. He's only 1 shot away from being spoon fed for life.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 23, 2023 10:30AM

Then Buffalo's oline is worse than ours. So what?

Date: January 23, 2023 01:52PM

I'd say it was good for me to see how we played Buffalo this year and, overlappingly, how they played in the playoffs.

We already know that in 3 games this year, a net 4 points separated us...when previously we'd been routinely getting our axxes kicked badly (is there any other way?) ever since Allen became a Bill.

I believe that if our defense is relatively healthy, it's more talented than Cincinnati's. They clamped down on Buffalo yesterday and just didn't let them get anything going. If we're well-coached and relatively healthy, we ought to be able to do that.

I'm encouraged because it doesn't seem like Buffalo has a multi-year vice-grip on the division like the Pats did for 20 years. I had definitely feared we'd simply swapped one 20-year dominator for another...so, hoping that's not the case. Or, if it is, that we can be that team

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2023 01:56PM by tsstamper.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.