HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          From concussion talk to CPR on the field
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
From concussion talk to CPR on the field
Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 02, 2023 04:24PM

I am writing this post as the Bengals/Bills game is being suspended due to an injury that is so severe that they administered CPR to the guy.

Just earlier today we are discussing concussions, which is obviously a very serious type of injury. But to see CPR administered on a field is an entirely different level,.

Hopefully by the time anyone reads this we will hear that that Hamlin is okay.

Here's hoping. It's things like this that make one stop and think what really is important.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: From concussion talk to CPR on the field
Date: January 02, 2023 06:46PM

Yeah that was weird. He tackled the guy hot up and then went unconscious. Something must have been going on with him before the hit.....maybe a blood clot or something?

Best wishes for him and his family. The players , Josh Allen looked so upset.Not cool.

Hope TUA is watching.sad smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 03, 2023 05:50AM

It was likely one of those freak things where someone gets hit right in front of the heart, and the shock of the collision stops the heart from beating. Unfortunately it has happened to a hockey player or two in the North--I remember hearing about it in the news a couple years ago where a kid got hit in the sternum by a hockey puck and his heart stopped.

My biggest concern now for Hamlin is that I hope he didn't go too many minutes with his heart stopped--too long of a time without oxygen in the brain is very bad news. I hope the guy pulls through and wakes up with full brain function.

Date: January 03, 2023 07:50AM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was likely one of those freak things where
> someone gets hit right in front of the heart, and
> the shock of the collision stops the heart from
> beating. Unfortunately it has happened to a hockey
> player or two in the North--I remember hearing
> about it in the news a couple years ago where a
> kid got hit in the sternum by a hockey puck and
> his heart stopped.
>
> My biggest concern now for Hamlin is that I hope
> he didn't go too many minutes with his heart
> stopped--too long of a time without oxygen in the
> brain is very bad news. I hope the guy pulls
> through and wakes up with full brain function.

No doubt. But emergency personnel was just yds away. They started CPR and had a Cardio jump box on him in seconds not minutes. I've seen way worse hits in my time though. We all have. I'm no doctor , I just think something else is up.

Think of the abuse a chest cavity takes in boxing or MMA matches. Never see people collapse into Cardiac arrest despite having no padding like the NFL.

Hope they get to the bottom of it all.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 03, 2023 08:59AM

My wife was a cardio-pulmonary RN and as she viewed the behavior of Hamlin, she said "he went into arrest, he's in trouble. Code Blue!"

She was right. Calling the game was the right thing to do. I too hope that resuscitation wasn't delayed and that 1) Hamlin survives and 2) he survives without any brain damage. Everyone who watched the going's on where in shock. The sportscasters where pretty speechless...they were thinking, as I was, Holy Sh*t, he could be dead. Watching the replay didn't lend itself to the hardest hit ever. It sure looked routine.

All football fans await news that is positive. However, it may take days to assess whether Hamlin has good brain waves. This was a terrible event for the sport. It's on top of the "Tua" protocols and it gives credence to claims that impacts between players, impacts between players to the turf are beyond what is safe today.

If you look back into the 70s, the uniforms, that is, the shoulder pads were quite large. Today, they are smaller and tighter to the player than those days when the Dolphins and Steelers were so dominant. Perhaps, using larger shoulder pads and "armor" around legs and hip might make play a little safer. Just thinking out loud.

Colonel

Date: January 03, 2023 04:21PM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife was a cardio-pulmonary RN and as she
> viewed the behavior of Hamlin, she said "he went
> into arrest, he's in trouble. Code Blue!"
>
> She was right. Calling the game was the right
> thing to do. I too hope that resuscitation wasn't
> delayed and that 1) Hamlin survives and 2) he
> survives without any brain damage. Everyone who
> watched the going's on where in shock. The
> sportscasters where pretty speechless...they were
> thinking, as I was, Holy Sh*t, he could be dead.
> Watching the replay didn't lend itself to the
> hardest hit ever. It sure looked routine.
>

Hey Colonel,
Please ask your bride if she thinks it was a "commotio cordis" injury. That latin phrase in quotes is the official medical term for the Getting-Hit-In-The-Sternum scenario I described earlier.

I just read that they resuscitated him TWICE. Up until read that, I was 90% sure that it was commotio cordis. But if his heart stopped because he got hit at the wrong time in his heartbeat cycle, it wouldn't explain (to me) why the heart would stop a second time. So now I have no idea what happened. Of course, I never DID have an idea what happened because let's face it, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

From what I read, it's not so much the force of the hit that makes it deadly, it's the timing. If it happens at the exact moment between heartbeats, it can stop the heart altogether. If that's even what happened. Regardless of what it was, we all hope he recovers.

I was glad to read TCPF saying that they were treating him immediately. On TV it seemed like it took a while. So nerve wracking to watch.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 04, 2023 07:48AM

JC--where is this forum going...throwing out latin terms now? I'll need to put on my smoking jacket and sit beside the fireplace with Ole Yeller. LOL

If there were two efforts at CPR...I have to wonder whether the first wasn't really an arrest but simply an episode of vasovagal syncope. Lots of people around the world faint for various reasons, however, one of those possible triggers is sudden pain.

Many years ago, a woman I knew bumped her elbow (funny bone) on a car door and collapsed...luckily she was caught before hitting the concrete. So, pain, in the wrong place...solar plexus...one never knows. A vasovagal episode drops blood pressure and respirations. But, hells bells, I'm just guessing...what do I know. At least I know I don't know.

Everyone is waiting for good news. I hope it comes.

Date: January 08, 2023 03:39PM

Solar Plexus! Now that’s some an old school terminology. !!

I wasn’t trying to pretend to be able to speak Latin. Supposedly that was the name of the medical condition. I’m just ecstatic that Damar is getting better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.