HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Where did everyone go?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Where did everyone go?
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 02, 2023 05:33AM

This forum used to be alive with participants, today, it seems there are only a few die hards that post on a regular basis. What happened? Did people lose interest in our Dolphins? Was it because all of the poor play and losing, the constant changing of the "guard," the constant infusion of new inexperienced blood with the hopes of turning the team around?

Have people abandoned the forum because the team keeps letting them down and complaining about it here simply does nothing to better the team?

For me personally, I've been on this forum for many, many years and was honored to be asked to be a moderator and work with JC. There were some turbulent times on the board and those days are long gone. The team is local to me so I get to see or record the games. I don't have much interest in watching other teams and often skip the Sunday and MNF games. I used to watch the Thursday game when it was on TV, but now that it is streaming--the streaming is disruptive, it breaks up--it should have remained on television. Anyway, the Dolphins are my football team interest. Occasionally, I watch a game to see Mahomes play or Herbert or Burrow. Mahomes is spectacular and Herbert and Burrow are rising stars.

More venting....

I had my doubts about Tua because of his injuries and arm strength. At Alabama I could see how he worked well within Saban's system. However, contrary to good judgement in my opinion, the Dolphins selected Tua over others...and they really gambled. From my observations, Tua works well in a system that uses timing routes to throw the ball. He's good on that. However, unlike college where it will work, the NFL teams watch closely and looks for weaknesses. Disturbing the WR routes was enough to cause TUA to look like crap. IMO, Tua is robotic. In contrast, Mahomes is a gunslinger and will improvise when the situation changes...and he's damn good at improvising.

Well, it looks like we are stuck with a decent guy, but a fragile one who will have moments of looking great but as soon as the "sh*t" hits the fan, he will fail. He will always be one play away from being out of the game because of injury or potential injury. He is establishing a new NFL concern for QBs, and potential injuries to the QB may result in massive changes to the game because of it. Damn we can't put the QBs in bubble wrap, but the game could eliminate sacking a QB altogether making the QB off limits to hits.

I certainly hope more voices participate in the forum. It is a place to discuss the team and to voice concern. It may not be a way to improve the team's play or the decisions of the ownership and management, but it does give us a place to gather, in a way, and when the time comes, root wildly again.

Colonel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where did everyone go?
Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: January 02, 2023 07:11AM

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: January 02, 2023 07:30AM

When the Dolphins completely shit the bed from week one its sucks......but the fans dont get that mind F*** we get when they actually get our hopes up only to have them crushed . This year was spectacular. They were just out standing . They actually reached #3 in the NFL power standings and where changing minds throughout the sports industry. They outdid themselves before crushing our hearts and minds.

I was always a closet Steeler fan. Back in the 70's at 6yrs old I was introduced to Miami becuase they were champions and I loved the colors and the Logo. It just stuck with me. As I watched and learned the sport Terry Bradshaw caught me eye . My Dad was burnt out on Professional sports since the Dodgers moved from Brookyln NY to L.A. So he offered me no direction. Instead He became a fan watching me get excited about the sport. It was the Dolphins and Steelers for me until 1983. Dan Marino changed all that and I found my passion.

Until recently for reasons I cant really speak of here and especially after they hired "Flores" Who I personally consider and enemy of the ball club with zero class , I cant stand the Steelers. I dont respect the team, the organization , or the State of Pennsylvania which I used to love. I owned land in the Poconos and planned to build there when I retire. Camping , white water rafting. I loved it as an escape from the hell of NYC where I grew up.

I love the Dolphins, I bleed aqua and Orange , but Miami beach and Dade County is a bigger shit hole .As the time ticks on my retirement clock I've seen the Treasure Coast of Florida slowly follow in the same footsteps as most of South Florida. 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

My wife and I have plans to visit St Augistine Florida and the less populated areas of Florida .....and yes even Tennesee this summer.

Ive been watching the trends in national sports lately. There seems to be an uptick is promoting Soccer nationally. Who knows what the future of the NFL has in store for it? If they were to make drastic moves to stop tackling the QB altogether I dont think I could watch it. Penalties are already killing the sport. I LOVE defense. Zack Thomas was my man. If you ask me....if you are injured you should be ineligble for the draft. Thats how to stop guys like TUA from killing themselves. Make Doctors accountable if they allow them to play.With his hip he should have been forced to sit out the draft.

Poor TUA. A really nice Kid from a good family who played his heart out but never should have passed the league physicals IMO. He was busted up before he even entered the draft.

I really like alot of other moves made by this team. Drafting Waddle, trading for Hill. We need to draft better O lineman though.Get consultants becuase we have missed on several prospects. This team had a pulse this season. They were outstanding at times. Thats all I really ask.

McDanials is young. He can win in the NFL he just needs to hire some better coaches. I think I see other coaches willing to come here if we get a new QB. Do we try for Lamar Jackson? Probably break us cap wise. Dont really see any draft options. McDanieals wheel house is the QB position. Lets see what happens when he actually picks one. His other moves have been solid.

I think we actually still have a chance to make the playoffs this season. LOL. Maybe Thompson pulls a win out of his ass and TUA comes back with Armstead and Howard? LOL. Who knows. But I cant say this season sucked. the OUTCOME probably will. But it was fun winning again.

The whole world is changing. Lets hope Miami does as well. smileys with beer

Happy 2023!!!! And for GODSAKE Mr. ROSS.....Change our logo back please!!!!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2023 07:38AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 02, 2023 08:32AM

I don't know what the answer is either re preventing injuries. I loved the glory days of the 1970s but did not love seeing what happened to guys like Kiick and Buoniconti later in their lives.

It's a tough call.

When I was younger I never watched college football much. And neither did anyone else in Miami, apparently (you could go bowling down the aisles and rows of the Orange Bowl when the Canes were playing).

As I get older, and as more and more college games become available on TV, I appreciate NCAA football more. I love the passion, the school spirit, and part of it must be the relative youth. You don't have the pathetic middle aged coddled primadonna crybabies (I won't mention the name of the worst example of this, but it rhymes with "Calm Lady"winking smiley. Nor are there chronically injured players late in their career who stay on one year too many. It's 4 years of playing, then on with your life in your early 20s.

I'll stop short of saying the NFL should have an age limit or become a flag football league. Their heart is in the right place trying to prevent injuries, but they need to do more. QB hits his head and is automatically out for two weeks? OK, why not suspend the guy who caused that injury for twice as long? The offending defense players need an incentive greater than a 15 yard penalty and a minimal fine to prevent injuries they are causing.

I'm not going to claim that anything I wrote here is the answer. But in trying to strike a balance between game quality and player safety, they haven't arrived at the right place yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2023 08:34AM by JC.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 02, 2023 09:15AM

Colonel's original post was to question why there was so little participation on this forum compared to the good old days a few years back and nobody else really responded to his concerns.

Let me say that I am a paying member of another forum and would be willing to contribute to this forum if there was an effort to improve the interactive features that have disappeared or degraded over the years. JC broached the subject of a paying membership or contributions a couple years back and I never heard another word.
A few years back when there was a switch of hosting service we lost our ability to post links or, even to copy and paste. That's a glaring problem.

Other forums are loaded with these features and I'm sure that we have slowly been losing contributors to some of these other sites over the years.

I hope that JC and the shadowy figure known as Curt are not losing their passion for this site and I hope we can turn things around for an improved Dolphins fan experience. I'm willing to help in any way I can.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: January 02, 2023 09:24AM

Just a quick response to your bit about QB's getting knocked out. I think it's a decent way of trying to bring a spirit of reasonableness to the issue. Maybe a 1:1 outage ratio vs 2:1, I don't know. And I do know that whatever the rule, there are those who can leverage and manipulate it.

Date: January 02, 2023 10:52AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JC broached the subject
> of a paying membership or contributions a couple
> years back and I never heard another word.

I don't even remember that. Not saying it didn't happen. Just saying I'm old and don't remember.

> I hope that JC and the shadowy figure known as
> Curt are not losing their passion for this site
> and I hope we can turn things around for an
> improved Dolphins fan experience. I'm willing to
> help in any way I can.

Thanks,
I've been around. Posting more this season than in past few years, ..not blowing up the board with content but I'm here.

I am able to contact Curt and will ask about the links thing. I believe quoting another person's post now works where it did not in the past (I'm doing it right now) but I'll see about the other features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2023 10:52AM by JC.

Date: January 02, 2023 11:12AM

Well I appreciate a smaller more intimate discussion. As long as the others are fairly knowledgeable and have great new points which I find to be the case here lately.

But I agree posting links and other NFL material will only help the discussions along.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: January 02, 2023 12:56PM

Being able to copy and paste is a biggie. Back in the offseason I couldn't copy and paste the newly released season schedule and had to painstakingly type it out. Little things like that would help with the content level.
Not to be beating a dead horse but, the season schedule on this site is still from 4 years ago. Is the secretary out sick or something?
JC, is it feasible to get more members involved in the upkeep and maintenance of this site?
The other forums that I'm familiar with generate quite a bit of revenue through advertising, some of them pretty gawdy and annoying. Paying members have the ads and pop-ups mercifully removed from their feeds.

Date: January 02, 2023 04:20PM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> Being able to copy and paste is a biggie. Back in
> the offseason I couldn't copy and paste the newly
> released season schedule and had to painstakingly
> type it out. Little things like that would help
> with the content level.
> Not to be beating a dead horse but, the season
> schedule on this site is still from 4 years ago.
> Is the secretary out sick or something?
> JC, is it feasible to get more members involved in
> the upkeep and maintenance of this site?
> The other forums that I'm familiar with generate
> quite a bit of revenue through advertising, some
> of them pretty gawdy and annoying. Paying members
> have the ads and pop-ups mercifully removed from
> their feeds.

I noticed that Curt put links to some things (such as the roster) to the corresponding page on the team site. Maybe he could do that with the schedule.

He basically runs the site on his own, having Colonel and I help out with moderating. I'm embarrassed to say that I am technically inept to the point that I can't do anything additional.

Hooligan, send me a PM if you personally have any skills or more detailed ideas.

As I type this the Bills/Bengals game is suspended due to the devastating injury to Hamlin. It is such a horrible situation I can't think straight right now.

Date: January 02, 2023 05:34PM

More generally, I'll answer for why I've stayed. I've yet to find another place where the folks participating and contributing genuinely seem to want to discuss how the Phins can be best. In other places, it seems like folks have pet positions & bones to pick more than some sort of mutual conversational pursuit of how the team can be best.

Date: January 02, 2023 06:47PM

tsstamper Wrote:
> More generally, I'll answer for why I've stayed.
> I've yet to find another place where the folks
> participating and contributing genuinely seem to
> want to discuss how the Phins can be best. In
> other places, it seems like folks have pet
> positions & bones to pick more than some sort of
> mutual conversational pursuit of how the team can
> be best.

Well said .smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 03, 2023 03:49AM

For me I grew up in Miami when football was king and the Phins were the high King. I remember Wahoo McDaniels. Still love the city bad crap yes but its still one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I remember the cocaine cowboy days so in a way its actually better. I like the board always have, some crap but its not my board and I appreciate Curt, JC and the Colonel for what they provide.

Football is just not as important as it once was to me. Game has changed and evolved. Im happy to see the players getting a boatload of money and having more influence. They pay the price. I hate the spread offenses but hey things change. Im nearing retirement and the world is wide open. Saw a little of it in my career now I want to see it from another perspective in retirement. Son has graduated from college and I look forward to seeing him grow as a man, get married and the grand kids. Life is good beyond the Phins.

I think the Phins are in the best position that they have been in years. Tua is who he is and I am open to bringing someone in to challenge him. But we can with him he has some bad habits since his day at AL and I don't think we can wean him from them. Get rid of the D coordinator in the off season and this team will go places.

Will always root for the Phins but my attention is focused on so many other things at this juncture.

Date: January 03, 2023 05:30AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> For me I grew up in Miami when football was king
> and the Phins were the high King. I remember Wahoo
> McDaniels. Still love the city bad crap yes but
> its still one of the most beautiful cities in the
> world. I remember the cocaine cowboy days so in a
> way its actually better. I like the board always
> have, some crap but its not my board and I
> appreciate Curt, JC and the Colonel for what they
> provide.
>
> Football is just not as important as it once was
> to me. Game has changed and evolved. Im happy to
> see the players getting a boatload of money and
> having more influence. They pay the price. I hate
> the spread offenses but hey things change. Im
> nearing retirement and the world is wide open. Saw
> a little of it in my career now I want to see it
> from another perspective in retirement. Son has
> graduated from college and I look forward to
> seeing him grow as a man, get married and the
> grand kids. Life is good beyond the Phins.
>
> I think the Phins are in the best position that
> they have been in years. Tua is who he is and I am
> open to bringing someone in to challenge him. But
> we can with him he has some bad habits since his
> day at AL and I don't think we can wean him from
> them. Get rid of the D coordinator in the off
> season and this team will go places.
>
> Will always root for the Phins but my attention is
> focused on so many other things at this juncture.

Great post. I don't quite remember Wahoo McDaniel as a Dolphin, only as a past-his-prime wrestler.

But I do remember the cocaine cowboys stuff. Yes Miami is a better place now than during those particular days.

I also have a lot more going on than football in my own life. Perhaps that's why I'm a fan of the quality-over-quantity message boards. We currently have that, thanks to this great group of posters.

Hooligan's suggestions are still quite valid and I am still looking into them.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 06, 2023 07:31AM

Hello everyone it's been a while.

I haven't been around lately for a couple of reasons....

First and foremost, my youngest son has been in the hospital since Oct 3 with very traumatic injuries after getting run over by a box truck. And I mean literally run over by both axles - the front wheel and the two side by side rear wheels. His survival and recovery has been my biggest priority as it should be.

Second reason is I've had to detach away from the suckness of this team. It's too depressing to even think about while I'm dealing with other more important issues in my life. This team has sucked whatever high moral I had away for them after watching them embarrass themselves on national television for the past 5 weeks straight.

I will say this though about our team -

The usual hope and then letdown just doesn't seem to end. It's effing tiresome to the point where I don't even give a shit anymore if this team loses. If Tua has any common sense then he should walk away from the NFL before he becomes a vegetable. Seriously. Whoever was responsible for drafting him over Herbert was a complete and total idiot.

The Chargers are set for a very long time at QB immediately after losing their franchise QB they had. We've been waiting for decades after losing ours. The 49ers have who appears to be the next Tom Brady as their backup who's now giving Jimmy G his pink slip. They are set too (49er fans owe the Dolphins a thank you for that too). Meanwhile the Dolphins have a couple of scrubs who can't even lead this team to one effing win. And then we have our defense that gets gassed and burned because they're on the field forever. Why? Because this offense is too busy taking a shit at QB year in and year out.

Anyway, I hope you all had a nice Christmas and I wish all of you well for the new year. I'll keep dropping by from time to time.

Aloha

Date: January 06, 2023 07:51AM

808phan

Omg brother. May your son have a full recovery. All of this is meaningless compared to the health and well being of our children. Here I am moaning about my boys leaving for college and your going through that.

I see some bad stuff at work and I try hard to detach myself from it but dealing with parents of victims is always hard because that could be anyone of us in a NY second.

Feel free to PM me anytime. Hope and pray everything works out for him brother.

Al

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 06, 2023 12:48PM

808phan Wrote:
> Hello everyone it's been a while.
>
> I haven't been around lately for a couple of
> reasons....
>
> First and foremost, my youngest son has been in
> the hospital since Oct 3 with very traumatic
> injuries after getting run over by a box truck.
> And I mean literally run over by both axles - the
> front wheel and the two side by side rear wheels.
> His survival and recovery has been my biggest
> priority as it should be.
>
> Second reason is I've had to detach away from the
> suckness of this team. It's too depressing to even
> think about while I'm dealing with other more
> important issues in my life. This team has sucked
> whatever high moral I had away for them after
> watching them embarrass themselves on national
> television for the past 5 weeks straight.
>
> I will say this though about our team -
>
> The usual hope and then letdown just doesn't seem
> to end. It's effing tiresome to the point where I
> don't even give a shit anymore if this team loses.
> If Tua has any common sense then he should walk
> away from the NFL before he becomes a vegetable.
> Seriously. Whoever was responsible for drafting
> him over Herbert was a complete and total idiot.
>
> The Chargers are set for a very long time at QB
> immediately after losing their franchise QB they
> had. We've been waiting for decades after losing
> ours. The 49ers have who appears to be the next
> Tom Brady as their backup who's now giving Jimmy G
> his pink slip. They are set too (49er fans owe the
> Dolphins a thank you for that too). Meanwhile the
> Dolphins have a couple of scrubs who can't even
> lead this team to one effing win. And then we have
> our defense that gets gassed and burned because
> they're on the field forever. Why? Because this
> offense is too busy taking a shit at QB year in
> and year out.
>
> Anyway, I hope you all had a nice Christmas and I
> wish all of you well for the new year. I'll keep
> dropping by from time to time.
>
> Aloha

808phan, sorry to hear about your son. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

Date: January 07, 2023 05:24PM

Thanks guys thumbs up

Date: January 08, 2023 12:11PM

Amen - lifting up your son for a full recovery.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 08, 2023 01:31PM

tsstamper Wrote:
> Amen - lifting up your son for a full recovery.

Same here

Date: January 08, 2023 03:42PM

808. All the best to your son and your entire family.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 09, 2023 06:28AM

Thank you for filling us in on your son. That's terrible and we wish him a very speedy recovery.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: January 09, 2023 07:50AM

I wish him the very best recovery

Date: January 13, 2023 08:05AM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone thumbs up

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 18, 2023 04:31PM

The big problem here was all of the hoopla, drama and arguing that used to be prevalent. Then really good posters such as realist etc. left and it just has not been the same since. Then there is the fact that not many people post so it's just not as attractive to come here as it was. I check on the site regularly and get news from it daily, but the forum has declined in its quality. I do wish we could bring it back.

Date: January 18, 2023 04:54PM

Ken Wrote:
> The big problem here was all of the hoopla, drama
> and arguing that used to be prevalent. Then really
> good posters such as realist etc. left and it just
> has not been the same since. Then there is the
> fact that not many people post so it's just not as
> attractive to come here as it was. I check on the
> site regularly and get news from it daily, but the
> forum has declined in its quality. I do wish we
> could bring it back.

I believe the drama/fighting has all but ceased this past season. It's been enjoyable again. I hope it stays that way. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 19, 2023 01:08AM

I don't think I agree with that. It was really only fully enjoyable for about 5 weeks. Five out of seventeen isn't very good. There was LOTS to bitch about all year long. I looked in occasionally but usually found the same topic ( not even topicS!) as the last time I looked. Once in a while, somebody had added a post to it, but not usually. Very occasionally was a new topic raised. There has been much to discuss and debate, but it seems that the majority just read what's here. And Ken, I've been here for quite a few years and always when someone left several new guys started posting, bringing fresh new perspectives. I hope some of the lurkers will join us.

I hope your boy has a full recovery.

Rick

Rick

Date: January 19, 2023 05:17AM

Ken Wrote:

> I check on the
> site regularly and get news from it daily, but the
> forum has declined in its quality. I do wish we
> could bring it back.

Hey Ken,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'bring it back' re the forum.. The forum itself is here, and we are posting on it. grinning smiley

If you mean you want to bring back all the people who left because OTHER people were being jerks, I agree that would be nice but I don't know how to track them down...and who they even are is subjective.

I don't imagine you want to bring back the atmosphere where people were causing trouble on a daily basis..and if you did, that isn't the atmosphere that Curt wants here in general.

If you want to bring back the forum features that are disabled/not working as discussed earlier, Curt is looking to into upgrading to a different software (a newer one) that would enable more modern features and probably a fresher appearance. That may be a possibility in the offseason.

All in all, I think we have a good group here right now, and even if the volume of posts isn't off the charts we do have quality over quantity. That said, an upgrade could be followed by some sort of outreach to other sites or social media (maybe?).

Personally I'm grateful to all the people posting currently. You all have made some very good posts about the team in addition to good suggestions about how to improve this forum. thumbs up

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: January 21, 2023 03:31PM

JC, I'm talking about the quality of the people here. We used to have a lot of regular posters that were very knowledgeable and considerate fans, that posted cogent and provocative material. We also had a lot of spirited and insightful daily discussions. Now I'm not saying that there aren't those types of people here now, but we simply have fewer of them. It would be great if a way could be found to lure those types of people to come here and stay again. I think some left because of other forums were flashier and things like that. Some left because of other reasons but the causes are less important than finding a way to replenish the forum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.