HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          New Coach
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New Coach
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 06, 2022 02:31PM

The Dolphins hire Mike McDaniel as their new Head Coach!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Coach
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 06, 2022 03:48PM

Good hire, heard welker coming also go sign Allen Robinson, Cam Robinson Braxton Berrios and draft Justyn Ross and Breece Hall and resign Duke and Lindsey and let's roll

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2022 03:57PM by jlyell13.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: February 06, 2022 04:09PM

Seems like a smart guy but, young, 37 and as Dave Hyde points out, Miami was the only team to interview the guy. Are we to believe that Ross and Grier know something that nobody else knows? Is anybody going to believe that?

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: February 06, 2022 07:02PM

No, but maybe we'll get lucky for a change. First thing: can the guy hire a good-or even decent- staff? Get us a GREAT offensive line coach! Does anybody have a problem with Mike Munchak for the o-line? Its just an idea, I would like opinions on him or any other o-line coach that fits the bill.

Rick

Date: February 07, 2022 12:11AM

That's the key question, can the guy hire a decent staff?
He's young and has been hanging out in Shanahan's shadow for the past 15 or so years. It'll be interesting to see who will follow him to Miami.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: February 07, 2022 02:23AM

I think the word on the street was that he was Miami's Guy from the start. No one else figured they had a shot to get him so they left him alone. Remember, he was in the playoffs for three weeks and some of the Head Coach positions were already filled before they could even interview him.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 07, 2022 03:19AM

He will be only as good as his staff and if he is bringing in Welker w/ him that is a good sign. I would hove no problem w/ Munchak as OL coach, would be a solid choice.

Date: February 07, 2022 04:35AM

The word on one of the streets had us targeting Daboll because of his familiarity with Tuna, there was also a lot of speculation that we were targeting Harbaugh.
The red flags for me are his age, (leadership abilities), the fact that he doesn't call plays, (Philbin 2.0?).
The fact that he was willing to accept a pretty much intact defense and QB.
Coach McDaniel may surprise everyone and bring in a DC coordinator (Fangio) to upgrade the position. I hope so but, right now (as Dave Hyde puts it) Ross and Grier's plan was to hire an offensive coordinator and just call him a Head Coach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2022 04:58AM by Hooligan2.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 07, 2022 05:00AM

If our recent past is any indication we'll be having this same discussion in 3 years and Grier will still be here interviewing the next victim.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: February 07, 2022 05:28AM

I am going to be optimistic and hope for the best so I can be crushed by history repeating itself in 3 years.

I know nothing about this guy but like Hooligan2 said, and I agree, the non-play calling concerns me.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 07, 2022 05:38AM

Another "rookie" HC hiring. It is clearly a wonderful opportunity for this young coach and he will try to make the most of it. His limitations will be Grier and Ross on what he can and can't do or influence to get done. Will it be,"let's give the kid a chance but keep a close reign on what he does and thinks" or will it be "let this kid fly and see where he takes the team?"

I don't follow coaches so I haven't a clue about his current skill set. Some of you may be focused on that part of the game and that's okay. Bottom line, we are starting anew (again). The offensive game will change for sure and we'll have to see what effect the coach has on defensive philosophy. My personal belief is the D should be left intact as it is improving. Keep those coaches for the most part.

On offense, that is where the massive need for improvement is needed. We need a team that can score 28 points every game without fail. Of course the D must perform and limit teams to no more than 14-17 points...then my friends, we will have a real contender again.

Date: February 07, 2022 05:44AM

I'm learning alot as we go. A head coach has to be a good game manager, judge of character, and a leader. Ultimately they are only as good as the assistant coaches.

Flashback to Jimmy Johnson. He was extremely successful with Dave Wannstadt as his right hand man.

Plugged him in as a head coach? Well let's let the results speak for themselves.

Will Josh McDaniels be successful? He comes off as extremely bright and very articulate. He's not a big or imposing " tough guy". He can get s point across with excellent verbal skills . I'm very open to this approach if it brings results.

I'm interested to see the changes made in the coaching staff and the new direction. Welcome to the shit show Josh!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 07, 2022 06:50AM

Our head coach is Mike McDaniel not Josh McDaniels.

He is Yale educated, so he is extremely intelligent.

Time to get good assistants and we may be on the right track.

Date: February 07, 2022 06:54AM

Josh is the guy that took the HC job in Las Vegas. Our guy is Mike McDaniel but, Josh took the job in Denver a few years back. He also was super bright but, he was also super young and not taken seriously across the board.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 07, 2022 06:59AM

I tend to agree with many of the points made above:
- gotta be able to get good assistants
- OL coach is absolutely critical
- feel like we have an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" scenario on defense

I'm particularly intrigued that he was part of seeing how a team w/o an elite QB can go deep into the playoffs multiple times recently.

Date: February 07, 2022 08:05AM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our head coach is Mike McDaniel not Josh
> McDaniels.
>
> He is Yale educated, so he is extremely
> intelligent.
>
> Time to get good assistants and we may be on the
> right track.

My bad . Got the names mixed up, but I have been reading about him. He's supposed to be extremely intelligent. He's got zero ego and full of personality. Maybe a new approach is what this team needs?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphaholic ()
Date: February 08, 2022 07:14AM

My first choice was Doug Pederson but of the first time head coaches I believe we hired the best one for our situation. Hopefully he’s able to hire a good staff (hearing he wants Vic Fangio for DC which would be a huge upgrade over Boyer). To me that was Flo’s biggest downfall…..not being able to hire/keep competent offensive coaches.

The second thing that has me excited is hopefully he gives this team an identity on offense, we haven’t had that since Sporano was fired. It’s a plus that he seems excited to work with Tua and try to play to his strengths……….now that’s a novel idea, try to put your QB in the best possible situation to win and excel!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2022 07:27AM by dolphaholic.

Date: February 08, 2022 09:05AM

Yeah, I don't know what Tua's ceiling is, but I know it would be much more difficult to reach if the HC didn't believe in you and the offensive staff and approach was a complete CF.

Date: February 08, 2022 09:18AM

Did you guys know that McDaniels is a minority hire? I couldn't care less but I was wondering how Miami was getting away with skating the Rooney rule?

The ultimate FU to Flores. Hire the whitest black guy out there.

Just saying........eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: February 09, 2022 05:23AM

The only thing that matters is if McDaniels is organized, has a good head on his shoulders, is football smart, works well with others, is a strong motivator, and can hire assistant coaches with the same coaching qualities and traits for what they are hired to do. thumbs up

If this guy was from Mars or Planet X from another solar system, far far away, the only thing that matters is what I've suggested above and whether that turns the team into a first-rate playoff team. smileys with beer

GO DOLPHINS!

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: February 12, 2022 04:12PM

We just hired Mike Applebaum as our O Line coach. He coached the #2 O Line in all of college football last year and he is a Mike Shanahan Disciple.

Date: February 14, 2022 10:48AM

And Frank Smith as OC. He spent time as an OL coach with New Orleans 2010-2014, during which time players (Evans, Nicks, Bushrod)they drafted in the 4th/5th rounds became pro-bowlers & Evans even an All-Pro. Not saying Jackson, Eichenberg & Hunt are or can be those guys...but hopefully he's developed an understanding of how to build & operate an OL w/some of those guys & infusion of add'l vet & rookie OL talent. I'd further note that he got to see how Brees (an extremely lofty but still apt comp for Tua) operated within the offense with those guys forming the line.

Date: February 14, 2022 01:36PM

Well Every interview Ive seen of him , Hes saying all the right things . Hes been thrown a few curve balls thanks to the Flores Vs. the establishment investigation going on but I thought he handled it well.

I really like the fact that hes not looking to completely Bulldoze the Team . Hes even holding some assistant coaches over which is especially good news on defense.

I'm really interested to see how he handles TUA and that Oline. Watching the Superbowl really made me see how bad the Dolphins are at a few positions like the Oline , Special teams(which used to be a strength)and tackling. When Everyone on the team does their job you win.

I watched OL #79 Rob Havenstein and #77 Andrew Whitworth No one came close to Stafford ever, It looked effortless for those men. Pillars on each end. We need some of that. The Center #55 Brian Allen......Really incredible chemistry and play. hardly no penalties.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 15, 2022 07:48AM

I'm tired of getting hyped up and excited and thinking this might be the one every time we hire a new HC. I'm going to wait and see, because for a long time now the end result has been disappointing that leads to a revolving door.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 15, 2022 08:02AM

Right there with you, 808.

It was easier in the past when we got rid of Philbin and Gase. They were bad coaches going in the wrong direction.

This time is different because no one saw this one coming.

I still contend they fired the wrong guy. Grier should be the one unemployed.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 15, 2022 08:19AM

I was blindsided too, jsm08.

And fricken Grier, yeah. He reminds me of a cockroach that can get cooked in a microwave and still survive.

Date: February 15, 2022 08:52AM

Looks like we finally have put the offensive line as a priority with the new hiring at OC and OL. The OL coach looks like he really knows how to coach them up. I am excited with these two hirings.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 16, 2022 03:17AM

Yes, I like how the coaching hires are going. Double down on the OL coaches. Applebaum focuses on technique and Smith on strategy and applying that strategy to the run game (how I see it). I have always liked Brevell happy to have him on board. Having run and pass game assistance allows you to get into the details in game planning and developing what you want to do in practice.

McKenzie is a good hire too. I really thought Van Grinkle regressed last year and that was the fault of coaching.

Hitting all of the targets so far and I think it will carry over onto the field in 2022.

Date: February 16, 2022 08:35AM

For me, I'm having trouble getting excited about any of the hires on the offensive side because we were such a cluster-F last year that almost anything would be better. I need to get out of that mindset and try to evaluate "will it work" and "will it be good enough, not just better than 2021".

I don't think it takes a genius to see what McDaniel apparently does when he commented about a couple of Tua specifics that he's seen work well in offensive systems he's been a part of. But it is nice to hear affirmation of it from him with so many of us - no matter where we are on the Tua spectrum - seeing many of those same strengths.

More broadly, when I look at SF's 2021 season, I see a lot of games points scored in the 30+ range. In our 2021 season, we did it 3x and in 2 of those we had ST/DEF TDs. We've shown recently that we can (don't always, but can) take care of business against the Jets & Pats and non-divisional teams at our level of below. To be able to compete with the Bills we need to be able to at least somewhat consistently be scoring in that _+/-30 points range.

Date: February 16, 2022 11:27AM

There is not 1 opinion here thats not valid. In fact after you state it I'm almost swayed to say yeah....I agree. All of it , the frustrations with the past admins, everything is 100% valid.

BUT just trying to put the distant past behind us This team played admirably at many times last season. Many of us have said we were capable of 10-12 wins. We would have been blown out in the playoffs , but we are not the bottom of the barrel anymore like our 1-7 start suggested.

Good News: Many of the reasons we were not top notch was coaching, especially on the offensive side of the ball. ALL of the play makers are still Dolphins as of today. I really dug last years team in October /December.

Whats changed? THE COACHING. Thats it. So far anyway. So we have many many reasons to feel carefully optimistic about the future.

Don't worry about Grier. He doesn't win ball games. The head coach does. And from what I'm seeing NOT 1 PLAYER is crying for Flores. Not one. But a few are damn glad he's gone. One of them is TUA.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.