HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jets v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jets v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 18, 2021 03:36PM

We are at home. This is a game we should win. Hard to positively know who is playing and who is out tomorrow.

With the "bye" we had plenty of time to perfect game strategy, so, I am hoping we "throttle" the Jets. smiling smiley smileys with beer

Go DOLPHINS!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jets v. Dolphins: Game Day Thread
Date: December 19, 2021 08:00AM

We are wearing full aqua.....ugggh. confused smiley. Never go full aqua.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 08:12AM

Defense looks sluggish. Hopefully just bye week rust.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 08:15AM

That touchdown looked almist rigged. We had Berios cold on the 2 yd line and instead of blocking him we let him through. WTF was that!!? He should have been crushed .....possible fumble. We completely pulled the punch!?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 08:17AM

Oh oh. TUA is back. confused smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 08:32AM

Waddle makes Tua. Without Waddle...big trouble. Weak arm showing again. We need to get Isiah Ford in the game...on short passes.

Date: December 19, 2021 08:46AM

Nice drive for 6. Parker's catch set it up for Johnson's TD run.

10-7 now. Things appear to be settling down for the Dolphins. smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2021 08:53AM

The defense needs to get thier heads out of thier asses. Missed tackles...should have had a 10 yd loss on that screen.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 09:28AM

Kind of a goofy game going on.

The Jets have the Dolphins D a little flat footed. Gadget plays tend to do that. I want to see more of Duke Johnson, Williams, Gesicki and Parker. Since, the Jets are doing a little gadget stuff, the Dolphins need to do something along those lines too just to confuse them a bit.

Half time.

Go Dolphins!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 09:35AM

Our Offense is not built for catch up.

The defense needs to stick on tackles, we had easy INTs dropped. Piss poor defense for such a talented group. This is the team that played in September. Same players no attitude. We need to find that fire again.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 10:06AM

Missed sack.....WTF?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: December 19, 2021 10:12AM

Defense is finally getting traction.

Date: December 19, 2021 10:21AM

I Hate this QB subbing bullshit.
Looks like we are finally wearing them down some.see TUA taking on linebackers? Got up flexing.....my sons love it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2021 10:21AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: December 19, 2021 10:47AM

2 INTs today.

TUA is really making some bad decisions. Johnson has been a great pick up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 11:15AM

.500%!!

7-7 from a 1-7 start is pretty amazing. Damn ....how did we lose to Jacksonville!?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 19, 2021 11:31AM

Tua, despite a victory was not sharp. He did make two bad decisions that resulted in interceptions. The throw to #84...the CB saw it coming and #84 kind of waited for the ball to reach him--not by much, but enough for an interception and a catch up TD and extra point.

Zach Wilson, as I see it, has potential. However, he is being overwhelmed by and under achieving offensive line. (We know what that is like, don't we?) If he gets a better offensive line, he will be trouble for us.

Very glad we won another game. Finally at .500. 7-7. Let's get 3 more!

Ford, Parker, and Duke Johnson--Two thumbs up for making plays.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 19, 2021 11:37AM

Thankful the D came to life in the 2nd half and we had a big running game. Missed Waddle and Holland, and Tua had a subpar game. I obviously like it when we're firing on all cylinders, but it's good to be able to win one when we're not.

Date: December 19, 2021 12:19PM

Nice to find a running game hiding on the practice squad. I know it was against the Jest but, honing your skills by beating up on a bad team is a legitimate strategy. It's like when we were young studs finding our footing in the dating game, when you had some new lines to try out, you practice on the ugly ones.
Go Phins.

Date: December 19, 2021 01:25PM

Let's not forget Christian Wilkens lining up as a reciver for 6 points!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: December 19, 2021 04:02PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That touchdown looked almist rigged. We had Berios
> cold on the 2 yd line and instead of blocking him
> we let him through. WTF was that!!? He should have
> been crushed .....possible fumble. We completely
> pulled the punch!?

I watched the replay of that TD about 25 times. I still don’t know what the hell happened. It’s as if the defender shut his eyes and tried to bump him OOB with his shoulder. Then whiffed altogether. So weird. Thank God we won.

Date: December 19, 2021 04:31PM

JC Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > That touchdown looked almist rigged. We had
> Berios
> > cold on the 2 yd line and instead of blocking
> him
> > we let him through. WTF was that!!? He should
> have
> > been crushed .....possible fumble. We
> completely
> > pulled the punch!?
>
> I watched the replay of that TD about 25 times. I
> still don’t know what the hell happened. It’s
> as if the defender shut his eyes and tried to bump
> him OOB with his shoulder. Then whiffed
> altogether. So weird. Thank God we won.

That was mind numbing. He was primed for a knock out and he held back....... dont get it.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 20, 2021 03:42AM

Extend Duke Johnson right now! About time we had a rb with vision. Jackson and Eichenberg are beginning to click on the left side, good for them. We gotta get a center in the next draft. The off week appeared to throw this young team out of sorts. They were out of rythmn early in the game. I think we should see less of this in 2022.

Date: December 20, 2021 04:24AM

Yes!! A stud healthy center is #1 priority. It will improve the offense on every level.

Johnson had a rough 1st handoff....but it was all uphill from there. He just exploded.....but let's not forget ....this was the Jets. Still great effort and defenses will have to prepare for him. That can only help the passing game.

Off season priorities:

Sign a great Center.

Sign Giesicki/ (Smythe would be nice but not a priority)

Sign Ogbah

We make that happen we are a team to contend with. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 20, 2021 04:55AM

It would be great to sign a veteran center to anchor the line and draft a stud center to develop. Draft a big fast RB.

Date: December 20, 2021 06:28AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> It would be great to sign a veteran center to
> anchor the line and draft a stud center to
> develop. Draft a big fast RB.

In a perfect world yes.But Gesicki and Ogbah won't come cheap. Howard's contract was huge. We might have a New QB signing /contract ....Waddle will want mega $$$$ in 2 yrs. We need to be very smart from here on about future contracts to stay competitive.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 20, 2021 08:55AM

We'll be in much better shape cap wise next season. If you're planning ahead two years then I would suggest, as I did last season, to trade X Howard while he has mega value and replace him with younger and cheaper. In two years, the drafted stud center will be taking over for the veteran. You're right though, it must be done intelligently.
BTW, where' Sam? Sure hope he didn't lose an argument to the wife.

Date: December 20, 2021 01:53PM

Regarding OL and how it fits into the overall salary cap structure, I think it should be a relatively low priority/amount in the future...but that depends upon "doing it right".

In my opinion, the best right way is to have year-over-year continuity of a working system. So, you know what you're looking for when you draft and can identify some late-round diamonds in the rough that you can develop as your starters age and get expensive. You'll likely need to use some premium draft capital (1st/2nd) with some regularity to get top-shelf talent, but certainly not every starter needs to be of premium draft pedigree.

Sadly forever referencing the Patriots, they've dedicated about $25M of their cap this year to their starting OL (and I'd wager that's actually more than normal for them) with every starter graded by PFF from 73-83 - including Karras, who we rented for a year. They drafted one in the 1st round, and the rest are 4th-UDFA. 4 of the 5 were drafted or signed as rookies by the Patriots. Wynn is in his 3rd year, and the rest are sort of 5-7 yr pros, with almost all of their years in the Pats system. Crazily enough, their top backup was a 6th round pick in 2020 and his PFF rating is 88.8.

Date: December 20, 2021 04:24PM

All great points. Man....I've been saying forever 1st round picks don't make championship teams. Like Jimmy Johnson said in the early 90s you draft back , collect more picks. The key is actually hit on those late round gems like you say.

To be fair we have found some great later round defense talent. But the Oline picks, even in the 1st and 2nd round has been horrible this past decade. Can you remember any oline player besides Jake long , or Pouncy that was above average? Tunsil of course but we might the right call selling him.

We have some great talent on this team. Now we need to find a way to keep them while adding just enough not as expensive talent to balance out a winning team. Same goes for the coaching staff.

When you look back over the last 2 decades you see alot of the Same teams that have managed to stay in the top half of the NFL consistently without a top 20 draft pick.

1st rounders are expensive and don't make championship teams. For sure.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 20, 2021 06:45PM

Yeah, I remember thinking the only good OL we've had in the past couple decades (2016) was built almost entirely of 1st rounders. When they were on the field together, our OL was a significant advantage. Injuries had their way, so all 5 weren't able to be on the field together much. And, they would have been prohibitively expensive to retain.

1st rounders - especially in the top 1/2 - more often than not need to be swinging for the fences for elite players at impact positions. Johnson's Cowboys were the perfect example. Aikman, Irvin & Smith all 1st rounders (in consecutive years, no less). But, their great OL didn't feature a 1st rounder (I think Larry Allen was the highest pick in the 2nd). And, they seemed to have a knack for when to keep the 1st rounder and use it on guys like the ones above...or trade back for volume. They swung for the fences in FA by signing Deion.

In our case, I wanted an elite OL FA 2 yrs ago and, if possible that year, another solid OL FA to hopefully fast-forward our line's development. This wasn't a long-term strategy, but a gap-fill. I'm not upset that we have spent two 2nd's and a 1st on OL the past couple of drafts. But, it's been tough to tell whether we're mainly experiencing their growing pains together or if the ones we picked (specifically Jackson & Eichenberg) didn't merit selection that high. I tend to think it's some of both, but I can't deny that our young OL is finally playing better (not consistently good enough, but better for sure). I hold a bit of hope that they'll allow us to develop the more successful long-term strategy for not expending too many cap resources on OL while still having strong ones year in & year out. Guess, for now, I'll just have to see how the remaining 3 games play out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2021 06:47PM by tsstamper.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 03:19AM

If you trade X you can kiss the zero blitz goodbye. He's the best DB in the league. You ride that out.

I would cut byron jones. Overpaid and underskilled.

We should address the Oline in FA and open up the wallet. Grier can't seem to draft them. It is what it is.

Johnson and Lindsay have proven that a good RB can mask a bad oline. They should resign both of them and draft another RB in the 2nd this year.

If you're going to trade someone trade Parker. You're not going to get the same return but you should be able to get a 2nd or 3rd and let's face it, he can be replaced.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.