HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Great Article about two Phins Alumni...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Great Article about two Phins Alumni...
Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 20, 2021 10:46AM

....okay I will preface this by saying that I am about to cite an article primarily aimed at OLD PEOPLE such as myself. This is for two reasons:

First of all, it was in the AARP Magazine (don't laugh, okay? the membership fee pays for itself not only for this magazine (Salma Hayek is on the cover..who's laughing now??) but we also get discounts at Denny's!)

And secondly, it is about two former phins who played in the 1970s.

But it isn't just nostalgic but it talks about what they are doing today. The guys in the article are Ed Newman and Tony Nathan.

Newman was a rookie lineman on our 1973 championship team and played up till 1985. He beat cancer, got his law degree, then got elected to a judgeship under which he still serves today (TCPF: I don't imagine you've bumped into His Honor in your work circles, as Judge Newman is in Dade County, I believe).

Tony Nathan was a fantastic utility player in the 70s and 80s. Officially a running back but was a great receiver and special teams player as well. In highlight films he is probably most remembered for catching the famous Hook and Lateral TD against the chargers in 1982. But his career was much more than that. Besides his awesome career as a dolphin, he came from a segregated school in Birmingham AL (an inspirational film was made about his HS career), played under Bear Bryant (winning a national championship at Alabama), did some coaching, etc.

At an alumni function not too long ago (the Dolphins have a very strong alumni group), Ed found out that Tony wasn't coaching any longer and asked him to be his bailiff...And now.. After Ed Newman blocked for Tony on the field, Tony is helping out Ed in the courtroom.

Teammates for life! I urge everyone to look up this article (or have your parents or grandparents get it for you lol )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2021 10:49AM by JC.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Article about two Phins Alumni...
Date: November 20, 2021 01:06PM

Yes that is true! Tony is a Balief down south. I've got tons of respect for that man!! Caught everything Dan through to him. Great hands.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 21, 2021 06:07AM

I'd love to see a backfield of a modern day Tony Nathan (or two) and a modern Ed Newman (or four)!

Date: November 21, 2021 06:13AM

I know that links don't work but if anyone out there googles "AARP Ed Newman Tony Nathan" the article should show up as the first result. Definitely worth reading.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.