HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          It goes beyond finding the right QB...
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
It goes beyond finding the right QB...
Posted by: socalphin ()
Date: September 19, 2021 04:21PM

...This team needs to find the right GM first.

Chris Grier has single-handedly set the Dolphins back another 5 years.

It can't be ignored that Grier's drafting and FA acquisitions over the past 4-5 years has been an unmitigated disaster!
I'm not even convinced yet that he got the head coach right. Is Flo another D guy that doesn't know shit about offense? It's starting to look that way.
How's that dual OC/QB coach act working out?! The words "train wreck" seem to come to mind.

Lets Recap Grier's drafting prowess:
2013: He talked Tannenbaum into moving up to #3 over-all pick Deon Jordan...
2017: Shrewdly selected Charles Harris over TJ watt. Where's Charles now?
Actually, there's no one from the 2017 draft still on the team. Yikes!
2018: Minkah...an over-rated Diva safety that we got rid of because he was un-coachable. Well done Chris. Also came away w Gesicki and Baker in the 2nd and 3rd...eh.
2019: Wilkins, Deiter, Van Ginkle, and Gaskins...none of which will go to a Pro Bowl anytime soon.
2020 (The Death Knell Year): Tua selected over Herbert(strike one), A. Jackson-highly questionable talent(strike two), Noah Iggy- trending to be a BUST(strike three).
Best pick of 2020 was Raekwon Davis.
2021 (A Second Chance): Turned down QB prospects Tre Lance, Justin Fields, and Mac Jones(all better options than Tua), and went with Waddle and Phillips(where's this guy), after coughing up the #3 over-all pick in a real head scratcher deal w the 49ers. Strike Four!!
Lynch just flat out punked him, and we can't have a GM that gets punked.
I thought that was the whole reason for Tunsil trade was to ensure getting a game changing QB....No?...Did I miss a memo?

Don't even get me started on the epic FA misses that lay at his feet!

Bottom line, this dude Grier has done quite a below average job as GM, and needs to go.
IMO, he never should have gotten the job in the first place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: It goes beyond finding the right QB...
Date: September 20, 2021 03:41AM

Read this today. ESPN wrote a scathing review on the Dolphins:

" more in the next couple of days On TUAs injury. The problem is, no matter whether it is Tagovailoa or backup Jacoby Brissett in there, there isn't a lot to be optimistic about with this Dolphins team as long as their offensive line remains as big of an issue as it is. They've had tough matchups against the Patriots and Bills to open the season, but from what we've seen so far, you have to be pretty pessimistic about their chances even against the Raiders in Week 3. Jaylen Waddle might be the only startable player on this whole offense."

Wow. ONLY 1 startable player?I know he dropped some balls but Parker is startable. Giesicki? I really like Gaskin as well.After that.... it does drop off I must admit.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 20, 2021 05:50AM

Was thinking the same on Grier, he has to go. Got a motherload for Tunsil and as of to date looks to have blown it all

Took Tua with major injury concern injury over Herbert

Same again with Phillips over Rosseau, najee Harris, others

Drafted Igbinoghene who can run, but can't play football to even get on the field ,over guys like Edwards Helaire, Epenesa, Uche ,Dugger, Jeremy Chinn, JK Dobbins

kept Grant and Wilson on the roster undersized WR

Jordan, Harris???

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 20, 2021 06:31AM

We are a mess.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: September 20, 2021 09:07AM

I agree with you socalphin.
We've had so many draft picks...With practically nothing to show for. Grier is a detriment to this organization and it's way worse than I thought it was.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: September 20, 2021 12:36PM

Okay, so the focus is now aiming at Grier for incompetence in selecting "real" talent. I get it. I also want to add something else to the mix and that is coaching and training.

If what we see is based on solid training, teaching and coaching, then there is certainly a major problem with the level of talent the Dolphins have on the team. If what we see is the mishandling of talent by a lame coaching staff, we have a systemic problem that real talent will not fix entirely.

A systemic problem exists with the o-line. Year-after-year the same type of play exists, it never improves. Why? Little talent? Lousy coaches? Damn, it's hard to pinpoint the problem(s). It appears that both are not good.

If this is the case we are back to ground zero. We need to replace Grier, get better coaches and select cream of the crop offensive linemen that are outstanding in each position and let them play in that position not try them at G, or T, or C.

At this sad point (again) our o-line is nothing but bottom feeders and nothing will improve. They can only get better, as they say, but if the talent isn't there and the coaching isn't there, most of us should simply tune out and find something more productive to do on football Sunday.

Wilson and Grant. Useless WRs. Dump 'em.

Our next game is going to be another miserable failure. No crystal ball needed.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 20, 2021 01:01PM

I think it's more OL coaching than talent, in general. Last year was a bit crazy to have 3 rookie OL starting at times, but Flowers and Karras and Davis (when he started) balanced the inexperience. None of them were amazing, but they brought an element of experience.

This year:
- starting a G at C
- moving last year's RG to LG
- moving last year's RT to RG
- starting Jesse Davis at RT (or anywhere for that matter)
- the rookie T looks better than the 2nd yr LT
A bunch of shuffling around which is the opposite of encouraging cohesion and playing as a unit.

KC - with the highest paid QB in the league and several truly elite players besides him (i.e. major pressure on the cap) saw that OL was an issue. They got Thuney as FA...traded for Orlano Brown...drafted Dickerson. Only 2 games in and proof will be in the pudding, but commentators last night talking about how their OL is already coming around to be a strength. Mitchell Schwartz & Eric Fisher were cuts they made to improve. What they didn't do was spend a 1st, 2 2nds a 3rd and 4th in three years and hope that they wouldn't need some experienced, legitimate anchor talent.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 04:58AM

This is on the coaching. We got players. The trying to stick Eichenberg at G in the preseason was ridiculous. Reps are so important to an olineman, why did they waste so much time having him learn guard? Jackson does not have the feet to play tackle he is the one that should be getting reps at guard. They have been playing musical chairs for years and the oline still sucks. Not the GM.

Why do we carry WRs who are so fragile. Parker or Williams or both should have been cut. They may pass the looks test but you cannot depend on them.

I mentioned earlier about the Phins strength and conditioning coaching and program. To many injuries to many guys losing one on one battles on both sides of the line. Coaching not the GM

I question Grier for not drafting guys like Damien Lewis & Lloyd Cushenberry to fix the line but it would not have made a difference. This staff would have wasted them. I have no doubt that a coach like Dan Campbell or Belichick would have better results from this same group of players.

We have players we don't have coaches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.