HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          TUA showing growth.....
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
TUA showing growth.....
Date: September 17, 2021 06:21AM

TUA didn't have the game of his life Sunday but there are alot of positives to look at if you look closely. You cant post links anymore so I'll quote the well written article:

Miami Dolphins’ Tua Tagovailoa shows major growth with one specific play against the New England Patriots in Week One
By Marek Brave:

1st and 14.

Ball on their own 4 yard line.

One point lead.

3 minutes and 24 seconds left in the game.

This was the situation late in Miami’s opening day contest against the New England Patriots. The play call came in – a run. Tua Tagovailoa came to the line of scrimmage and surveyed the defense – noticing that the Patriots had stacked the box with defenders. The run play wasn’t going to be effective.

These are the moments that can completely change the outlook in a game. Hell, these are the moments that can completely change the outlook on your entire season when you consider that you’re playing a divisional opponent in their home stadium – a stadium in which you have had little success for the past two decades.

Tua discretely signals to his wide receiver flanked out to the right. DeVante Parker gets the message. Tua takes the snap, feigns a handoff to Malcolm Brown, immediately resets his feet before firing a dart to Parker on a quick hitting slant route. The play goes for 13 yards, setting up a short 2nd and 1 which was converted on the following play via a 2 yard run from Brown out of the Wildcat formation.

I believe this play – this audible by Tua Tagovailoa - is the most important play in the entire game for the Miami Dolphins in Week One. New England had all three timeouts, had been moving the ball very efficiently with rookie QB Mac Jones, and had Miami not gotten a first down after facing 1st and 14 from their own 4 yard line, would have undoubtedly gotten the ball back with tremendous field position, needing only a field goal to overcome the one point deficit and claim victory against the squad from South Florida.

But, Tua didn’t let that happen. He didn’t play a perfect game in Week One, but in this crucial moment, he didn’t just force a run into the teeth of the defense, he did what he wasn’t able to do during his polarizing rookie season when he had an offensive coordinator named Chan Gailey who didn’t believe in his talent – he checked out of a play he knew wouldn’t work and into one that essentially sealed the victory for Miami.

THIS is what Miami was missing. GOOD COACHING. Our last QB didn't do this because you need coaches to explain it to you , to teach you to see it and what to do when it happens. He does it now on another team. Many players used to leave here and go on to success elsewhere. It was the #1 frustrating thing to see a player drafted high , leave here unsuccessful , and go on to great things elsewhere. This is fantastic to see. Our Defense better get some good coaching this weekend. They will need it against Buffalo.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TUA showing growth.....
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 17, 2021 07:38AM

I agree. Had we had to punt from the 4 would had been diaatrous. Specially since our punter imo is struggling.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 17, 2021 08:34AM

Totally agree that it was one of the key moments and specifically the key play he made all day for us. Sort of a "moment of truth" kind of situation.

I've watched some analyses and even just a video with all of his misses from broadcast footage. I think his day, if a couple of defenders hadn't made really great plays and a big drop not occurred, could have statistically looked much better. He chose to run one in where he could have nearly as easily thrown it to the TE. Certainly, it's conceivable he could have had 3 passing TD and perhaps ~250 yards if the drop led to 3 more downs with some add'l pass yards in the drive. His throw-away could have made it out of bounds...but also he could have been intercepted on one that wasn't.

Especially if he can minimize the occasional instances when he launches a head-scratcher (e.g. his throw-away INT), I think he'll be a great QB to keep us in games like week 1 and more often than not rise to the challenge in key moments. I do wonder about his ability to keep up in a shoot-out but I like how the team's construction - both offensively and defensively - can maybe help there.

Date: September 17, 2021 02:01PM

I know the NFL isn't like college. However TUA used to win quite a few shootouts and 4th quarter comebacks. I think he's getting up to speed....but the Oline needs to let plays develop.thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: September 17, 2021 02:48PM

Amen brother.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: September 19, 2021 11:16AM

Not seeing it and injured again

Date: September 19, 2021 11:18AM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not seeing it and injured again

Unfortunately the growth is on his now swollen/bruised ribs.........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.