Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          What do the Dolphins have in Tua Tagovailoa? Kurt Warner breaks down the film........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
What do the Dolphins have in Tua Tagovailoa? Kurt Warner breaks down the film........
Date: March 25, 2021 03:55PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do the Dolphins have in Tua Tagovailoa? Kurt Warner breaks down the film........
Date: March 25, 2021 09:42PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish I could post a link to this article but
> since I can't here I'll post the most interesting
> observations by this HOF QB about our Young
> QB....
>
> He comes away saying "Tagovailoa struggled at
> times on longer reads and plays, but he was really
> strong when it comes to quick reads and plays. His
> accuracy allows him to place the ball perfectly to
> stay away from the defender
>
> Warner again looks at how quickly Tagovailoa gets
> the ball out of his hand. He does, however, start
> to look at what happened when the play took longer
> to develop or Tagovailoa had to go through
> multiple reads. While a first-read throw was great
> for Tagovailoa, when it required further reads,
> Tagovailoa looked like a rookie
>
> Tagovailoa needing to have a little more patience
> and being aggressive enough to attack the defense.
> He states, that Tagovailoa was hesitant to make
> some of the chunk throws and it “hurt this team
> that needed more big plays from the quarterback
> position.”
>
> We saw moments of Miami’s quarterback being
> aggressive and making the chunk throws. Warner
> says, “To me, if you are going to be great in
> this league, you’ve got to always be aggressive.
> You’ve got to always look to make that big play,
> even if it leads to a couple of mistakes that puts
> pressure on the defense.” He then turns back to
> the film to show, Tagovailoa can be that guy and
> he is not just a “game manager
>
> Warner clearly sees the potential Tagovailoa has
> to be a star in the league. On one throw against
> the Chiefs, he seemed amazed with what Tagovailoa
> did, exclaiming, “It doesn’t get any better
> than that,” as he rewound the tape multiple
> times. He continued on the same play, saying, That
> is a money throw on the second level, so don’t
> sit back and say ‘Tua can’t do it.’ Tua can
> do it, he just has to be more aggressive like
> this.
>
> The summary of what Miami has in Tagovailoa,
> according to Warner, came in the middle of the
> episode, when he said, “Hey, he can do this, he
> just needs to trust himself, trust his arm, trust
> his eyes more often and make more of for the
> Dolphins.”
>
> Tagovailoa needs to grow the point where, as
> Warner said, he does not “settle for those
> little check downs.”The flashes are there and
> the Dolphins will have a special quarterback,
>
>
> Great .....I almost wish Jon Gruden was still
> breaking down QBs but Kurt Warner definitely knows
> a good QB when he sees one.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Re: What do the Dolphins have in Tua Tagovailoa? Kurt Warner breaks down the film........
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 03:44AM

I hope we see more than "flashes" this season because I'm sure he was showing flashes in the two games where he was benched in favor of Fitzpatrick and, no doubt he was showing flashes in that final Buffalo game that we lost by 30. Josh Rosen also showed "flashes" and he's on his 4th team already.

Date: March 26, 2021 04:31AM

Alot of that Buffalo debacle had to do with defense. Rowe gets raped when put against a bigger reciever.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 05:25AM

Im waiting to see what Tua does after going thru a full camp. He has talent but played w/ uncertainty last year which is understandable him being new to the system.

Another player Im looking forward to seeing again is Austin Jackson. I based a lot of my opinion of him on a video of him playing against Espenesa in the 2019 Holiday Bowl. The video was pro Espenesa. I took a look at the entire game and I could see what Phins coaches saw in him. He won as many rounds as he lost but at LT when you lose its big. He put Espenesa on the ground twice once with just a punch. So the guy has talent.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 06:09AM

I believe a full training camp will help. We were really young last year and needed a training camp. I think we were hurt more than many other teams because of it.

BTW... everyone who says that a specific number in the draft is to high to take a player at that postion (ie #18 is to high to take a running back) drive me nuts. That is the spot we draft in, only way to change it is via a trade. So all the experts need to just shut up with that noise. Sorry , I needed to vent.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 08:05AM

Rowe gets beaten in one game against the raiders by a great tend...and all of a sudden he is getting raped in every game. Tcpf you didnt see the great ints he had and the great plays he made. Iq 10.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: March 26, 2021 08:36AM

He got beat again Kelcie and the Chiefs too. Big physical TE's give him problems and he's also not alone in that.

Date: March 26, 2021 12:26PM

Imagine a 4 set receiver in the red zone...... Giescki/PITTS on the outside Parker and another receiver (later pick or a current starter) TUA will learn to step back /read and throw . We would be hard to beat.

Add to that a New Running threat with a bruiser like Harris (6'2 235)

Just what the Doctor ordered..........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 27, 2021 04:46AM

> Alot of that Buffalo debacle had to do with
> defense. Rowe gets raped when put against a bigger
> reciever.

What did the defense have to do with the 3 ints that Tua threw?

Kurt Warner sidestepped that game entirely but, those are the games that need to be won so that we don't have to pray for wildcards.

I'm totally bummed that we are putting all the eggs in Tua's basket even though NOBODY has used the term "Generational Talent" and Tua in the same sentence in over two years.

Date: March 27, 2021 05:16AM

Defense had nothing to do with that.

TUA needs work. Absolutely. That game was a melt down from every position. Buffalo is building a great team. They will be Superbowl contenders soon if not already. I'm just saying if we want to contend in the AFC East we will need to improve EVERYWHERE including defense.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 28, 2021 03:04AM

Regarding Tua's individual play in the last BUF game, it wasn't good enough (nor was anyone else's during the game, in my opinion)...but it also deserves some contextualization.

Through nearly all of the 1st 3 quarters, absent a couple of unusual things, I'd contend that the most likely score at that time should have been 21-13 Buffalo, when, in reality, it stood at 35-13.
- the punt return for TD
- the pick 6 Tua threw when Parker fell down on the route

The defense was giving up big plays all over the field and Needham was pretty much raped 3x in 1:1 coverage for TDs.

I'd like to think the game would have played out differently - and maybe even been one where we got our poop in a group and pulled out a win over their 2nd/3rd stringers if it had been 21-13 toward the end of the 3rd quarter. But, that's not what happened and we'll never know.

Overall, though, I tend to look at the BUF game as one in which the whole team came in and pooped the bed. And, Tua had some really good play last year and some pretty bad play, as well. He needs to improve, and I think some of it will be him improving individually...some better quality weapons around him, I hope.

Date: March 28, 2021 08:07AM

Excellent points tsstamper.

Anytime a team scores 56 points off you and this isn't a basketball game you need to re evaluate your defense. We scored 26 points in that game despite the misgivings you mentioned on offense.

If we dont upgrade our defense (which made some great strides and improvements last season) we will never beat the great teams.

Teams attack a defense by staying away from strong players and constantly hitting the weaker ones. Some teams have great pass defense /others and better Run defense. Belichick was always great in finding those weaknesses and exploiting them. Miami's defense has a great nucleus to build on but if you think we can just ignore it/ build on just offense and win a superbowl with them its 1984 and Dan Marino wants his Miami Vice white jacket and pants back.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2021 08:08AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 28, 2021 02:51PM

Folks here are mentioning Tua not having a training camp, which is a true statement, but what a lot of people forget is that Tua was still coming off that hip surgery.

This year is his year to prove himself. Full training camp, no injuries coming in.

Date: March 28, 2021 03:16PM

captkoi Wrote:
> Folks here are mentioning Tua not having a
> training camp, which is a true statement, but what
> a lot of people forget is that Tua was still
> coming off that hip surgery.
>
> This year is his year to prove himself. Full
> training camp, no injuries coming in.

Absolutely. thumbs up my guess would be we now have 2 first rounders in 2023.He has until then to prove hes our QB. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 29, 2021 06:52AM

I was reading some old Kurt Warner articles from a year ago. He also concluded that Justin Herbert had a throwing motion that might not translate well to the NFL. Nailed that one Kurt. Got any more gems that we can ignore?

Date: March 29, 2021 11:04AM

Hooligan2 Wrote:
> I was reading some old Kurt Warner articles from a
> year ago. He also concluded that Justin Herbert
> had a throwing motion that might not translate
> well to the NFL. Nailed that one Kurt. Got any
> more gems that we can ignore?

OUCH. grinning smiley

Its tough being a Talent evaluator sometimes. Can you imagine all the people that said Tom Brady was a 6th round pick at best in 2000? Marino barely 1st round material in 83?

Then You had the Brian Bonsworth debacle. Supposed to be a HOFer. He barely played a season.

Probably more wrong then right. Andrew Luck......RGIII......then you got guys like Russell Wilson/Lamar Jackson that come out of nowhere.

The draft is a crap shoot. Miami needs to hit on one though. We are DUE.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 03, 2021 04:15PM

Date: April 04, 2021 05:43AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> As you all know from my earlier posts, I do not
> believe in this kid who everybody claimed was a
> "generational talent". Two years later, he has
> proven that he is NOT. However, he is our QB for
> probably at least two more years. I am willing and
> wishful to be convinced that Tagovailoa can do the
> job he was hired to do. I didn't want us to draft
> him because he has too many health issues ( yes,
> still!), a not-very-strong arm and poor foot
> speed, among other shortcomings. According to a
> podcast I heard that year before the draft, and
> I'm not sure which one, Tua's hip socket was
> damaged- that fact wasn't well disseminated
> because all the information we got was from Tua's
> camp- and that information was taken as gospel!
> When we drafted him, I expressed my doubts but
> said I was willing to be convinced. Not only
> hasn't he done so, he has alienated many other
> fans. He played one half and another quarter of
> decent football last year, and the rest was
> mediocre at best. I'm still willing to be
> convinced, but I don't think it will happen
> (wasted 5th pick!). Pity. We had a 3rd overall
> this year, I hope it is not a mistake we didn't
> use it to get a real QB.

I hear that. Wayyyy in the back of my mind I'm not 100% confident hes the guy. I dont think anyone is. I believe if Herbert hadn't been so good everyone would be more relaxed. That contrast is what sets everyone off.

But on the bright side , look at Josh Allen's first season compared to now.
We hooked ourselves up with 2 first rounders in 2023. I believe that's TUAs timeline.
He needs alot more help on offense for sure and WE finally got a coaching staff that recognizes that.

I've looked at TUAs off-season training regimen and he hasn't been partying. Serious specialty workouts designed to make him a better QB. I wish we could add links here..... One showed him balancing on a roller board (hard to do alone!) While doing curls with a heavy chain and catching objects with his left. Designed to make him do many things at once.

Hes added about 10 pds of muscle. I really like TUA the person. Hes got heart. He wants it. Hes an underdog and I'm really excited to root for him this off season.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2021 05:58AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: April 04, 2021 08:01AM

Thanks for recovering my post, I'm not sure why it completely disappeared when I tried to post it.

TCPF, I hope you are right. Unfortunately, I don't have any confidence in this kid. Never did.

Rick

Date: April 04, 2021 08:18AM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> Thanks for recovering my post, I'm not sure why it
> completely disappeared when I tried to post it.
>
> TCPF, I hope you are right. Unfortunately, I don't
> have any confidence in this kid. Never did.

Yeah this forum is weird like that. So many great links and photos I'd love to repost here but in a way the lack of social media reposting makes you think more and you just have to articulate more....not a bad thing (trying to se the glass half full more as I get older)

Honestly Most people know I believe Miami gave up on Tannehill way too early so moving on to another QB has been tough. I remember way back in 1998 the big deal then was Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning?

Whoo man did the Chargers get shafted. No lube. Right now it seems Hebert was the better choice but Look at how bad Ryan Leaf was as a person. Yelling at the press, fighting with team mates. He developed a reputation for a poor work ethic, such as playing golf while other quarterbacks were studying film. Head Coach said: Guys can be jerks, but I've never seen a guy that worked harder at alienating his teammates.

Junior Seau, Rodney Harrison, they came to me and said, 'Bobby, this guy is killing me.'" Harrison described the 1998 season as "a nightmare" due to Leaf's immaturity and inefficiency: "If I had to go through another year like that, I'd probably quit playing." During the offseason, Seau called on management to sign a veteran quarterback and "get a guy in here not to babysit, but to win."

Next season a fan heckled Leaf by singing lyrics from the Little River Band song "Lonesome Loser" . went to confront the fan in the stands but was restrained by two coaches, with another Chargers employee saying, "No, don't do it, Ryan. Don't do it."

Can you imagine? TUA was injured yes. But this pandemic season with no practice, no off season and not playing a year prior to injury had to be tough. I LOVE the way he's handling it. Says alot about him . Yes TUA gets injured but he's Tough and usually comes back. I'm all in. Lets get him some help......I'm praying for PITTS but anyone available at #6 isnt a bad pick.

2023 we have 2 first rounders. Will it be Best players available to get us to the AFC Championship or a New QB? Lets see.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: April 05, 2021 05:02PM

>Next season a fan heckled Leaf by singing lyrics
> from the Little River Band song "Lonesome Loser"
> . went to confront the fan in the stands ....

Ryan should have just sung along in harmony with the fan. That's a pretty decent tune!

Date: April 05, 2021 05:49PM

JC Wrote:
> TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
>
> >Next season a fan heckled Leaf by singing
> lyrics
> > from the Little River Band song "Lonesome Loser"
>
> > . went to confront the fan in the stands ....
>
> Ryan should have just sung along in harmony with
> the fan. That's a pretty decent tune!

LOL it is. The Ryan Leaf saga is one of the saddest in NFL history IMO. He had it all in 98'. Top 3 draft pick a QB on a NFL team. How did the pundits not catch his behaviors and drug addiction? Kind of like that OT we got from Tenn. Didn't he show any signs through college? I'm sure they interviewed his coaches before drafting him with their #1?

The Leaf started breaking into houses because of his addiction to pain meds. You know who helped him out in prison with his addictions after he got out?

Peyton and Eli Manning. Thats class. Helped him invest what he had left and is still pretty well off. And Leaf just got arrested last year again for domestic battery.....

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.