HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Draft Strategy?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Draft Strategy?
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 23, 2021 06:14PM

What do you think ?

Falcons need to get their QB for the future and may not be this high again. If they wait until 4 the 2nd and 3rd best could be taken. We pitch 3 to Lions, Eagles Panthers but also Falcons

If ATL doesn't want their guy taken we swap and pick up a third
Then at 4 we can still take Chase or Pitts or find team hot after Trey Lance and pick up a 2 and 3

If QB go top 4, Sewell likely 5, at 6-8 we could get Chase, Pitts, or Waddle great value

Pass Rusher at 18

Jevonte Williams at 36

Best safety Richie Grant and OL Creed Humphrey at 40 and 50

In 3rd best CB, another edge rusher like Quincy Roche Marvin Wilson ? Another RB Rhamondre Stevenson Chubba Hubbard, Kennedy Brooks?

Pats philosophy, the more picks the better you hit on some

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Draft Strategy?
Date: March 23, 2021 07:41PM

It's a great strategy, actually first determined by Coach Jimmy Johnson soon after the salary cap was introduced in the early 90s with the cowboys.

I'd love to get Pitts with our first pick hopefully getting additional picks as well.

With #2 grab Surtain II. We need a bigger CB to compliment Howard to beat teams like Buffalo and the Chiefs.

Handle all other needs in the 2nd round...we could have 3 picks here if we draft down. RB Harris would be amazing. Additional Olineman.....maybe a Linbacker/DT.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 24, 2021 12:23AM

Part of the value in doing something like this is cap savings. If we were to get the same player at #8 that we would have taken at #3, we save about $13M over the course of the 4-yr contract.

I think you may be (and hope you are) underestimating what we could get by moving down.

In 2017, Chicago gave up 2017 3rd & 4th + 2018 3rd to move up from #3 to #2.

In 2018, NYJ moved from #6 to #3 at the cost of 2 2018 2nd rounders and their 2019 2nd rounder.

2019 & 2020 didn't have similar moves of a few spots within the top 5-10 picks.

What I've read as people speculate about Carolina moving from #8 to #3 is that we'd get their #8, their 2nd rounder (#39) and their 2022 1st round pick. If you look at the NYJ/IND trade, this would be pretty similar with the 2022 1st rounder being somewhat equivalent to a 2nd round this yr + 2nd round next year.

Ideally (as I think you outlined), ATL has their heart set on a particular QB and more than one of the teams in the 6-8 range have their hearts set on another of the QBs and we could walk away with:
- the player we wanted at #3 at pick #6-#8 (with commensurate cap savings)
- an add'l 3rd this year and 3rd next for the first trade
- an add'l 2nd this year and 1st next year for the second trade

Basically, a long-winded way of saying "I hope we can get more" :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2021 12:42AM by tsstamper.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: March 24, 2021 05:31AM

I do believe we already have a deal in place with Carolina for their #8 pick. Call it a hunch. We will get a butt load in return because Carolina needs to beat a few teams to the second or third QB.

Its called playing the teams against each other. When the third pick rolls around and the teams have been calling and you tell them you have an offer already they have to "sweeten the pot", bingo, teams mortgage the farm and give you lots in return. I like your info on the previous trades, but think we can do better because of the amount of interest for the QB available.

Date: March 24, 2021 10:02AM

I'm hearing Carolinas #8, their #2 in this draft (which is really a high #1) and nexts years #1

Insane. drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 26, 2021 08:59AM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Ideally (as I think you outlined), ATL has their
> heart set on a particular QB and more than one of
> the teams in the 6-8 range have their hearts set
> on another of the QBs and we could walk away
> with:
> - the player we wanted at #3 at pick #6-#8 (with
> commensurate cap savings)
> - an add'l 3rd this year and 3rd next for the
> first trade
> - an add'l 2nd this year and 1st next year for
> the second trade
>
> Basically, a long-winded way of saying "I hope we
> can get more" :-)

Quoting myself...that's a new low. I guess, knee-jerk reaction, I'm a little disappointed by the size of the haul we got for the circuitous route we took from #3 to #6. Not terrible by any means - and, of course, it's what you do with the picks. But I had thought we'd end up with an extra 2nd this year and 1st next year...not an extra 3rd this year and 1st two years from now.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 26, 2021 09:40AM

Some people withminus10iq should be happy now. Geeeepeeeee

Date: March 26, 2021 11:41AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people withminus10iq should be happy now.
> Geeeepeeeee

Awwwww Sammy is sad hes wrong again. grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: April 06, 2021 02:23AM

Given the Jets trade of Darnold to Carolina, I'm re-evaluating my stance on the haul we ended up with for moving from #3 to #6. The asset is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, so what looked like a reasonable haul including Carolina may not have been possible (i.e. Grier may have known or at least had a decent idea about this move when he was making his move to 6). If so, I see what he got in a bit more positive light. And, it may be that the specific player(s) he's targeting likely won't be there at 8, so there's that.

I hadn't fully formulated my position when he made the move (and honestly am still short of being there), but one of the things that made the Carolina move as I saw it being possible was the idea of getting their #8 this year, their 2nd rounder this year and 1st next year so that this year we'd have #8 & #18 in round 1 and three 2nd rounders.

Where I've landed softly for now is that I'd like to see:
- #6 Pitts
- #18 Waddle
- #36 RB (any of the top 3 - but have a slight preference for Harris)
- #50 IOL (Humphrey or Dickinson or maybe someone I'm not familiar with who'd be better)

The problem is it's 4 offensive players in our top 4 picks and I can't really see a Flores-coached team doing that - especially after having moved on from KVN. So, the extra 2nd rounder might have helped us get an Edge guy at 18 and someone like Bateman in the 2nd. Obviously there are all kinds of possibilities, so that's just an example to include a defensive player in our hypothetical 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds.

At any rate, I'd like to see a receiving package with Parker, Fuller, Gisecki, Pitts and Waddle with one of the draft's top RB in the mix with 4 receiver sets.

Certainly, as I've said before, there are a number of options at our top pick who will likely make us a much better team, so this is sort of just my idea of what's best.

Date: April 06, 2021 05:17AM

I really like the way your thought process works.....especially on the #6 vs the #8 Carolina would have given us. Remember the original trade was to # 12 but that trade down to #6 came so quick I think your right , Grier had that all set up before hand.

This trade all but guarantees 3 QB's are going in the Top 3.

That leaves the Falcons and Bengals at 4 and 5, and the Bengals are expected to choose between Sewell, the tackle from Oregon, and Chase, the wide receiver who played with Joe Burrow at LSU.

There is a lot of mystery surrounding the Falcons' pick, with the thought that they'll take a quarterback or trade the pick to a team that would move up for a quarterback. Or the Falcons could become so enamored with Pitts that they decide they can't pass him up.

So the Dolphins could be left with the choice of one of the big three of Pitts, Chase and Sewell or possibly two.

I think after the Darnell trade its a given , almost 99 % Pitts , Chase, Or Sewell will be a Miami Dolphin.

Again we may all have or favs in that scenario ....I believe all 3 are epic picks and positions of need, with PITTS maybe being the best non QB in the draft.

Here's the 1% option:

1-TREVOR LAWRENCE, CLEMSON. ...
2-ZACH WILSON, BYU. ...
3-JUSTIN FIELDS, OHIO STATE. ...

4-TREY LANCE, NORTH DAKOTA STATE. ...
5-MAC JONES, ALABAMA. ...

IF two of these QB's are available at #6 (Fields or Jones) Carolina already bowed out of the draft for a QB sweepstakes. But another team building for the future could want to move up. I dont think Miami will entertain it unless it was a stooooooopid deal slanted Miami's way but anything is possible so I give it a 1% chance. OR........

Maybe Miami takes a QB. I doubt it. We signed Jacoby Brissitt to back TUA and all signs are pointing to building around him.

At this Point Im shooting for PITTS. TUA has the accuracy to hit him everytime. Teamed with Giesicki we could have the best TE tandem in the NFL.

Get a bruiser like RB Harris at # 18. That will only help stretch the field for Pitts and Giesicki.

Dont forget Free agent acquisition Deep threat receiver Will Fuller from the Texans. Hes a starter all day long not a back up. AND we have Albert Wilson and Mack Hollins returning....not to mention starter Parker.

This will be a different team on September 9th. Balls in TUA's court.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2021 05:21AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: April 08, 2021 08:49AM

TCPF

I think the Darnold move impacts the maneuvering ability at 6 as Carolina is out unless someone moves to 8 then wants to go to 6. Would love to see the Bears jump Denver to 4. Pats could also, Saints ?? I think QB will go in the first 4 picks, Atl likely trading out

Schefter claims niners are taking Jones at 3, if so that would increase the value at 6 for Lance most likely but if Denver moves to 4 not sure we want to drop down past 9

I could see lions taking a future QB that if we moved out could be gone. will have to see come draft day what happens at 4 and Bengals at 5 Sewell, Slater or Chase ?

Date: April 08, 2021 09:50AM

Going to be an interesting day for sure. Again a good one for Miami because we almost cant go wrong in every direction. thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.