HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on the KVN move
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts on the KVN move
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: March 02, 2021 11:32PM

I think it's symbolic of (a) an incredibly unique year and (b) of the team's culture.

On the unique year front, I've mentioned several times the salary cap and how it divides the teams into haves & have nots, and I think that this move was largely influenced by seeing an opportunity to further leverage our position within a unique situation. With so many teams needing to maneuver just to comply with the cap, the cap savings with his release will very likely be more valuably deployed elsewhere.

On the team culture side, it's - on the surface - a bit counterintuitive. I think that much of the decision to bring KVN last year was based upon his leadership & system knowledge. I don't discount that for a minute, and I think he absolutely delivered on it. But, the value in an individual's moving the culture vs. maintaining it is probably different. I.e. we may have tapped the biggest portion of that value in yr 1. So, he may be a victim of his own work in that area last year. And, while it may seem cold, it is in alignment with the Patriot way.

I would guess that if these two (covid salary cap & team culture) hadn't both been in play, the move wouldn't have been made. And, my guess is that KVN will have another good year with whomever...but I largely agree with the move in principle (with the obvious caveat that the Phins will have to steward the freed-up resources well).

Though I don't know him or anything, I feel badly for him on a personal level...wish him well...and am thankful for him and his brief contribution to the Phins.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2021 11:33PM by tsstamper.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on the KVN move
Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 03, 2021 03:31AM

I'm a little confused by this, mainly by the reports that Van Noy found out about all this on Twitter. It has the same stench as how Fitzpatrick found out that Tua was going to be playing in the next game. Is this how they are going to be doing business?
Other than field goals, the defense was the only bright spot on last year's team, let's blow it up and try something different. Start by getting rid of the leaders in the locker room, that's what Philbin would do.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 03, 2021 03:50AM

Van Ginkel is ready to step up. Biegel is coming back. We should have that position covered. NFL is a cold business these days.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: March 03, 2021 05:19AM

Yes, the NFL is a cold business but, there's something else going on in the locker room. Look at the last game of the season in Buffalo, nobody showed up to play. Even the Defense, the strength of the team, they just rolled over and, with everything on the line, play-offs, pride, momentum for next season, left a big steaming pile on the field instead. The whole culture thingee is coming up short.

Date: March 03, 2021 06:42AM

Maybe Miami wants Micah Parsons in the draft?drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 03, 2021 08:04AM

Why not trade him could at least got maybe a 3-5?

Bud Dupree? Levonta David?

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: March 03, 2021 09:19AM

BUF showed us that they are the dominant team in the AFC east that last game. It was a reality check. Front office cannot allow this team to stay behind the Bills the next 2/3 years. Getting Watson, should it happen would put us ahead of the Bills. If acquiring Watson is behind this.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 03, 2021 10:39AM

All I can say is that it's an interesting move. Yeah there's extra cap room from it but was that the reason? Beat's me.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: March 04, 2021 04:06AM

I agree this is a strange move. Yes we have some players that can fill that role, but there is more behind it. Flores is to classy then to tell someone on twitter and to classy to refute a lie about it as well. Something happened and we will never know.

As for this "get Watson" crap. Lets go get him and he can throw the ball to no one, hand the ball off to no one and stand behind a bad line. Yes!!!! That is how we will catch Buffalo. Wake up!!!! It will cost to much to get him. If we were really good and only needed him to get over the top then I say go for it. We still have too many holes to do that. The draft will fill many holes and we will be that much closer to closing the gap.

All you "Tank for Tua" guys who now want to get rid of him are the reason we got him in the first place. All the years of pressure to take him. You jump on the "In thing" and don't look deeper into the situation. He was flashy at Alabama... but he also had many great players on offense. You can't see beyond the inflated numbers.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 06, 2021 02:55PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not trade him could at least got maybe a 3-5?
>
> Bud Dupree? Levonta David?

jlyell13. That's what Miami is attempting to do; if no takers, will have to cut him.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: March 06, 2021 03:02PM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree this is a strange move. Yes we have some
> players that can fill that role, but there is more
> behind it. Flores is to classy then to tell
> someone on twitter and to classy to refute a lie
> about it as well. Something happened and we will
> never know.
>
> As for this "get Watson" crap. Lets go get him
> and he can throw the ball to no one, hand the ball
> off to no one and stand behind a bad line.
> Yes!!!! That is how we will catch Buffalo. Wake
> up!!!! It will cost to much to get him. If we
> were really good and only needed him to get over
> the top then I say go for it. We still have too
> many holes to do that. The draft will fill many
> holes and we will be that much closer to closing
> the gap.
>
> All you "Tank for Tua" guys who now want to get
> rid of him are the reason we got him in the first
> place. All the years of pressure to take him. You
> jump on the "In thing" and don't look deeper into
> the situation. He was flashy at Alabama... but he
> also had many great players on offense. You can't
> see beyond the inflated numbers.

Agreed, astro34. Watson would come at a prohibitive price. Basically, our number 1 picks this year and next, along with probably numbers 2, and the rumors are include Howard. How are we going to build this team if we give away all our draft picks and our defensive player of the year? Howard will be looking for a bigger contract after the year he had, despite him still having another 3 years (?) on this one. If Miami is willing to bring in Watson with his price tag, Miami can sure as hell pay Howard by keeping him and building this team with their draft picks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.