HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Passing Game
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Passing Game
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 07, 2020 11:45PM

Was watching highlights of the BUF/SF game and was initially impressed by Allen's much-improved accuracy. Then, as I kept watching, I noted that pretty much every completion - while being an accurate pass - was to a wide-open receiver. In comparison, it seems like we're constantly attempting (whether they end up in completions or not) throws where the receiver has very little separation. It's likely a combination of all of these, but I'm trying to think thru what would be our best way of fixing this issue:
- strong, mobile QB puts pressure on the D and creates space just by the threat that he'll run
- receivers are simply better at getting open
- something about their offensive system that generates openness
- 49ers d - we carved them up pretty good, so maybe that's more of the reason than the above items

Anyway, perhaps someone smarter than me has thoughts on how we can see improvement in our offense by creating more separation for our receivers.

Again, they were highlights, so maybe they just didn't show a bunch of missed passes whatever the reason.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Passing Game
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 08, 2020 02:29AM

I watched most of the Buffalo game and thought, Allen is really good, quite accurate, good strong arm. I too saw his receivers getting plenty of daylight to catch the ball. Beasley, was like a magnet and was covered pretty well and Allen's passes were right there for him to catch. Accuracy and timing paid off there, IMO. Overall, Buffalo is a very good team.

Not 100% on this thought, but passes from Fitzpatrick seem slow in speed compared to those thrown by Allen and Mahomes, for instance. I seldom see a throw with a lot of pop on it. Tua's throws are a little harder, but not as quick or as hard as what I saw last evening from Allen.

Throws to Devante Parker: Parker is seldom open very long IMO. He has to battle with defenders and often succeeds because of his size and strength and time in the league. Perhaps throws are not timed as well and the lack of zip on the ball causes this. Not sure. Just a thought.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: December 08, 2020 06:55AM

Colonel,

I've wondered how the offense would look just by adding two new players: an all pro quality running back and a wide receiver who's a bona fide deep threat? I like Jakeem, but he's not that type of player. His drop of a picture perfect Tua bomb was painful to watch. Add those two players to the current offense, and how much better is it? I honestly think it would be exponentially better.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 08, 2020 09:39AM

Jaylen waddle wr to the phins in the first round in 2021.

Travis ettiene rb to the phins in the first round in 2021.

Date: December 08, 2020 12:07PM

Answers to our problems are not usually found in the first round. All of our best players

Howard 2nd round
Giesicki 2nd round
Ogbah 2nd round
Van Ginkle 5th round

So many of the best teams don't regularly even have a 1st rounder.....they pick so far back its consider a high 2nd.

Draft back....collect extra 2nd rounders.....do your homework, continue to build the trenches.
Once you get a running game developed you can stretch the field more.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 08, 2020 01:55PM

You can continue to strenghen the trenches all you want but if you dont have the great wr and rb you will always struggle as a team.

Date: December 08, 2020 01:59PM

Thats what we are seeing with the dolphins struggle on offense because the wideouts struggle to get open and we barely run the ball well because our rbs stink.

Btw if tannehill was the dolphins qb as we speak the dolphins would have just 2 or 3 wins. Thank god tua is 4 times better than him.

Date: December 08, 2020 02:02PM

Because tannehill is not accurate enough to hit receivers right on the chest when the defenders are right on their face.

Date: December 08, 2020 02:42PM

Why so angry Sam? If you don't agree please make an intelligent response with facts and history.

Probably the Best Running back in the NFL right now , Derrick Henry was also a 2nd rounder.

Michael Thomas, New Orleans Saints.........YES a 2nd rounder.

We have a high 1 st rounder and probably a mid 20's pick if we make the playoffs.. There is no reason we couldn't draft down and get more help on the Oline and still get playmakers at both RB and Receiver further down. 4 chances at great players is better then 2. Tell us why. Don't agree?

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 08, 2020 02:58PM

We dont need quantity we need quality.

We are almost there. Receiver running backs maybe a great lb.

The rebuilt is almost done.

This roster is lightyears better than past years.

We just need 3 or 4 luxury cant miss players and we are in kansas city level.

There.

Date: December 08, 2020 03:02PM

And yes i do believe we can win a championship with the current players we have on defensive line and offsnsive line...all under 30 years old. They just need more experience and that will come with time.

Date: December 08, 2020 03:23PM

Class is in session.....najee harris doent compare to travis ettiene...

Ettiene has barry sanders quickness and speed at 5'11 200 pounds...harris might become great but he is slowish....we will find out soon.

Date: December 08, 2020 07:48PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We dont need quantity we need quality.
>
> We are almost there. Receiver running backs maybe
> a great lb.
>
> The rebuilt is almost done.
>
> This roster is lightyears better than past years.
>
> We just need 3 or 4 luxury cant miss players and
> we are in kansas city level.
>
> There.

Almost there? Did we watch the same last 3 games? Quanity over quality? How many injuries do we have? Our offense has been awful against Colorado, the Jets and the Bengals. We are lucky the Jets suck and the Bengals are down to thier third string QB. We won because of great defense, special teams, and depth after injuries. We will continue to win if we continue to draft smart, bolster the trenches , as well as add quality players at skill positions .if it was as easy as adding 1st rounders we would have had a superbowl or two in the last 46 yrs. Our offense is several players away from being championship quality. Our defense needs depth, add players that can be productive on special teams. Draft down....add picks, thats the smart move.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 09, 2020 04:23AM

You probably say the same thing if we struggle next week against the best team in the league.

We been fixing the trenches for ever and havent made playoffs in 15 years.

We need 2 receivers that can fly and a rb that dominates....Then we will get to the next level...

The OLINE and DLINE are very good as we speak.

Date: December 09, 2020 05:22AM

The oline and dline just gotta man up.....funny how they struggle against cinci the first half yet dominate them however they want in the second half after the fight.

They just need to man up and play hard all the time.

If we play another first half like we played against cinci again....we will get blown out.

Date: December 09, 2020 11:41AM

Man up? Is that all you think the Oline and Dline does? You need to really educate yourself on the science of the game. Different teams, different defenses, double teams, angles, coverages you could have incredible pass blocking and horrible run blocks.
Penalties also play a huge role. 1 or two holding plays and its 3 and out. Doesnt matter who the running back or reciever is. Same on Defense. Our Defense has actually out scored our offense as of late.

Its a game....learn about all 60 minutes of it, not just offensive big play highlights. Plenty of those in Dan Marinos career.....no championships.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 09, 2020 02:28PM

You and your trenches havent got us to the playoffs in about 20 years.

Date: December 09, 2020 06:25PM

WTF does that even mean?

You keep thinking a high draft pick will get us to win ballgames. Look close at why we are winning this season. Doesnt take a genius to see whats working and what direction we need to keep going.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 10, 2020 12:40AM

I'm probably in "both/and" land when it comes to building the trenches and upgrading offensive skill positions. We happen to be in a good position at a unique time in that we have what appears to be a solid, young base of talent and relatively plentiful cap space with an upcoming year where the cap might actually decrease and nearly 1/3 of the teams will begin the year over the projected cap by anywhere from $6-$93 million. Of the teams w/more 2021 projected cap space than us, I'd say all of them are more talent deficient than us except perhaps the Colts. Not surprisingly, the ones projected over are currently among the most successful teams...but they'll likely have to let go some talent that they really don't want to. Teams like the Jags, Jets, Colts & Pats will be able to outbid us for players, but we're in a good position to benefit from a talent migration in what should be, overall, a buyer's market.

Too early since the season's not yet over, but I wouldn't mind seeing us:
- take a Waddle & Etienne in the 1st (if they're worthy of 1st round picks and right for us...I honestly don't pay attn to college)
- take a LB and DL or OL in the 2nd
- take DL or OL in the 3rd, perhaps...whichever we didn't take in the 2nd
- acquire a young but experienced quality OL in FA from a team forced to shed talent
- acquire a big, fat NT in FA to be a big part of solving our run D issues

Again, not knowing enough about college talent, I could see us taking OL and some defensive position in the 1st round and still getting legitimate impact players at WR & RB in the 2nd...or in FA. I guess my point is we seem to be well-positioned not to simply upgrade talent (when upgrades may be better, but still not good enough) but to add the right legitimate talent at the right positions.

I could envision us closing much of the gap that may exist at any of our position groups in the upcoming offseason to the point where someone could look at our overall talent and think - at least from a talent perspective - this team's ready to compete for playoff runs for the next few years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 12:43AM by tsstamper.

Date: December 10, 2020 08:10AM

Agree with tstamper...

What treasurecaose is sugesting is we keep drafting DLINEMEN AND OLINE MEN in the top rounds and forget about the luxury picks in the top rounds.

If we forget to draft high quality receivers or rbs in the top rounds then someone else will snatch them..

TCPF dont you wish we had a receiver like cedee lamb on this team right about now?

Probably not you just want another hog for the dline and oline. Thats why we in the mess we in.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: December 10, 2020 09:17AM

Can't have a great building without a strong foundation.

In football terms, this area has to be both the offensive and defensive lines.

Reinforcing that foundation is required because teams have be on the look out for better talent to either replace a man or men and or adding strength to an already good foundation.

No team can overlook talented players at other positions important to the success of a team. So while a top priority may be a DT or OT or C, seeing a spectacular RB, CB, WR or QB come available must never be overlooked or ignored. To do it right, IMO, requires a balancing of priorities under the circumstances. If the biggest need is to obtain and explosive RB versus a top DT. I'd probably go with the RB.

All and all, I believe it depends on the circumstances at the time. The time may be the team's position in the draft, what top players are still available and the overall needs of the team at that moment.

The Dolphins, IMO, are in dire need of a punishing straight ahead runner that has shown durability in college. To me this is a must have position to be filled. Fortifying the Offensive line is next, followed by the D line, followed by WR and then CB. If the top OT is available when the team is making it's first pick and so is a top RB, it's a tough call. I'd probably go with the dire need at RB since there is no one there presently whereas, the OT would be to supplement the existing OT.

Date: December 10, 2020 11:42AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Agree with tstamper...
>
>
> What treasurecaose is sugesting is we keep
> drafting DLINEMEN AND OLINE MEN in the top rounds
> and forget about the luxury picks in the top
> rounds.
>
> If we forget to draft high quality receivers or
> rbs in the top rounds then someone else will
> snatch them..
>
> TCPF dont you wish we had a receiver like cedee
> lamb on this team right about now?
>
> Probably not you just want another hog for the
> dline and oline. Thats why we in the mess we in.

Tell me where I said that? Please.....look above and quote where I said taking anyone in the 1st round?

I believe I even provided proof/facts that many of our top players.....the best Reciever and RB currently in the NFL....were 2nd round picks.

Yes I'd like A center and a nose tackle taken but if we trade down from the first round we can also get a RB and reciever with the same picks.

MORE is better. I like the direction of this team ....but don't fool yourself by thinking we are winning becuase of TUA. No QB can be successful without good defense, special teams, time to develop plays .

Watched inside the NFL on HBO.....I was surprised to see 2 hosts took Miami over Kansas. The reason? DEFENSE. Ray Lewis knows a thing or two about linebackers....said Van Noy is playing at a level he hasn't seen in a while. Add to that OGBAH, VanGinkle,Howard.....we are scaring teams again. Not TUA. Not yet anyway.

He will and I recognize the need for a Quality back and receiver. Absolutely. But it doesn't have to be a first rounder. History has proved that. A top 5 pick is valuable to a desperate team which we are not anymore. Make them pay....then do your homework and find that talent. Superbowl championship teams are always created in the later rounds.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 10, 2020 02:00PM

We can win with the current oline so lets say if the best ot or center is available with our first pick in the first round and the best rb or receiver is also available i would have to go with either the best rb or receiver. So i would have to agree with colonel here.

Date: December 10, 2020 02:02PM

Other than parker and gesicky we have no other talented receivers....and the rb position is even worse.

Date: December 10, 2020 02:04PM

And you didnt answer me question tcpf.

So do you wish we had a receiver like cedee lamb on this team right now when we are about to make playoffs?

Yes or no?

Date: December 10, 2020 02:18PM

Good teams will double parker and gesicky and control our weak running game with their talented dline...

Imagine if we had just two more talented players on offense ettiene and cedee lamb...it would be pick your poison for opposing defenses...but since its just gesicky and parker they will just double them and again control our weak running game with their talented dends and dts.

The offense needs more talented players. And it starts with taking a receiver and rb in the first round in 2021 draft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 02:19PM by samsam3738.

Date: December 10, 2020 02:28PM

Colonel najee harris looks a lot like the 6'4 rb for tennesee. We have to pick one of the either ettiene or najee harris.

2 types

One the barry sanders homerun hitter hitter with the 4.2 speed in ettiene.....the other the 6'3 235 lb punishing back like the tennesee rb henry.

Date: December 10, 2020 07:14PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> And you didnt answer me question tcpf.
>
> So do you wish we had a receiver like cedee lamb
> on this team right now when we are about to make
> playoffs?
>
> Yes or no?

Is that what we are doing now? Are we wishing for players that are on other teams?

Ok I'll play.......

Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles
One of the most consistent offensive linemen of his era.....

Wait for it.........

6th rounder. And he has a Superbowl ring. Yep.drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2020 07:16PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: December 11, 2020 09:24PM

Blah blah blah and you still havent answered my question.

Date: December 13, 2020 09:23AM

Btw this post is for clueless pleople like tcpf....

Jakeem grant was picked in the 6th round thats why he cant catch a cold...on the other hand cedee lamb was picked in the first round and is an up and coming superstar.

But clueless people like tcpf dont understand that higher pick have better odds of been great. Keep dreaming dude.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.