Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua The complete opposite of every other qb weve had in the last 20 years.
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tua The complete opposite of every other qb weve had in the last 20 years.
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 17, 2020 05:41AM

He is got balls to throw the football. He dont wait 7 seconds in the pocket until he gets sacked. He is intelligent, he has pocket awareness. Has accuracy which is his best asset...Not the greatest arm but not the worst either. Ive seen him throw the football with some sip especially in the run.

We haven't had a QB like Tua since Dan Marino retired. All we've had is scrubs after scrubs.

We are finnally turning the curve at the right moment.

We have the perfect coach and players to compliment each other.

This team is on the rise and next year we will get even better when we draft the best RB money can buy...Hopefully Etienne..

Got the texans pick in the first round and they are losing left to right.

Overall we will be a dominating team in the near future.

Knock on wood and let everybody stay healthy if you know what i mean.

GO PHINS.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tua The complete opposite of every other qb weve had in the last 20 years.
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: November 17, 2020 07:12AM

Funny thing about Tua is that he said he thought transitioning to the NFL would be a lot harder. Think about that for a minute, and that he's just getting started. Once again, he's another player we have who credits the coaching. I can see he has a high level of confidence in himself when he's playing. He already has moxie for being only a 3 game starter and it shows. It's so nice to finally have a team that loves their coach and each other for the work they put in. Flores has definitely changed the culture of this Miami Dolphins football team and I know we all can feel it. I think it's just a matter of time before this team wins a Superbowl. It's more like not if, but when.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2020 01:16PM by 808phan.

Date: November 17, 2020 09:20AM

People are critisizing what he said.

You know there is a lot of haters.

Personally i dont see anything wrong with anything he has said as of now.

He has been very mature and on point.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 17, 2020 12:19PM

Tua is a confident person. He backs it up with high performance.

My guess is his confidence comes from his work ethic, family upbringing and an abundant desire to excel. The players show confidence in him and play hard. thumbs up

Date: November 17, 2020 01:40PM

Sam, I watched the show where Skip criticized him for saying that. I think Skip took what he said out of context. It was like listening to one of talking heads on CNN which is why I never watch that news channel. On the other hand, on the same show Michael Vick loves Tua and gave him nothing but praise. I interpreted what Tua said as it's been easier for him to learn thanks to the way practices have been going and giving credit to the coaching staff, he even said that himself. Skip obviously missed that part, once again, he's like a CNN talking head.

Date: November 17, 2020 02:28PM

Sharp loves to get on that haters case. I love how he laughs on skips face. And sharp is proving him wrong.

Date: November 18, 2020 08:54PM

Funny.

When we win the QB is great.
When we lose the QB sucks.

You never visit other possible reasons for the teams success. Not dissing TUA ....I love the kid so far.

But its no coincidence we are winning becuase of EXCELLENT defense and Oline play.

OGBAH, Van Ginkle , are playing lights out. The Oline holding the line , giving plays a chance to develop are what separates winning from losing. Not to mention....killer special Teams. We are hitting on all Cylinders.

TUA is the hammer , but somebody has to swing it , someone else holds thd nail to get that nail in the wall. We are a good TEAM again .

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2020 09:23PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: November 19, 2020 04:18AM

I dont disagree with that.

But we all have to admit tua has all the tools needed to become a great qb in this league.

Date: November 19, 2020 04:18AM

Wb btw.

Date: November 19, 2020 11:29AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont disagree with that.
>
> But we all have to admit tua has all the tools
> needed to become a great qb in this league.

No doubt.
But if the defense didn't preserve his lead.. if special teams hadn't given us turn overs, points, great field position, if the Oline prospects hadnt worked out.....I wonder if you would have a different opinion. eye rolling smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 19, 2020 02:33PM

He just has to do his job and excell when it count.

We havent had a player that can make things happen in crunch time since dan marino.

Tua has that kind of ability.

There comes a time when a qb has to play lights out to finish a game.

Tua has that ability.

Date: November 19, 2020 02:41PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> He just has to do his job and excell when it
> count.
>
> We havent had a player that can make things
> happen in crunch time since dan marino.
>
> Tua has that kind of ability.
>
> There comes a time when a qb has to play lights
> out to finish a game.
>
> Tua has that ability.

TUA has been efficient, mistake free....I havnt seen Lights out or anything your describing.

However .......that one play that was a turnover.....not his fault....I saw him chase down that defender and tackle him .That was pretty impressive and showed tremendous heart.

He's playing well because the TEAM is playing well. Our defense has just been nuts.its the kind of football I've been stressing about. The special teams have incredible speed. And Flores is orchestrating it perfectly.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2020 02:45PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: Hooligan2 ()
Date: November 20, 2020 09:25AM

There's never been any question about Tua's abilities, his quick reads, TD to INT ratio, ability to put points on the board.
The question has always been about his durability.
He looks downright diminutive out there.
He's only started 3 games and has 7 to go. If he finishes 10 straight games it'll be a rarity for him.
If the past is any indication we could very well see Fitzpatrick again this season.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 22, 2020 10:33AM

Fran Tarkenton wasn't all that big and he did a great job for years with the Vikings. Surely hope Tua becomes durable and we don't have to scout for another qb any too soon. Fingers are always crossed with a prayer or two before and after each game. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 24, 2020 05:23AM

Fran Tarkenton was 45 years ago. A more recent example would have been Drew Brees at 6' 1" but, successful small QBs are the exception.
More common and more successful recent QBs tend to be considerably taller. Tom Brady is 6'4", Rothlisberger is 6'5", both of the Mannings are 6'5". Nick Foles is 6'6", Mahomes is 6'3".
In the choice between Tua and Herbert the safer bet would have been Herbert.

Date: November 30, 2020 12:07PM

Let me try saying it a different way, Tua has never been able to play an entire season AT ANY LEVEL in his career.

Going all the way back to his freshman year in high school, Tua HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO PLAY AN ENTIRE SEASON WITHOUT GETTING HURT!!!

High school is usually an 8 - 10 game season. Colleges are usually 10 - 12 games season. Now, on to the 16 game season of the NFL where defenders are bigger and faster, are we betting that Tua's luck is going to change?
Ask Joe Burrow if he thinks it gets easier in the NFL.

I believe that the front office targeted Tua as a #1 over-all talent based on the hype and after the injury they convinced themselves that they were still getting a potential #1 over-all talent but, with a 35 pick, what a steal.
So, what happens? 4 games into his NFL career, Tua cuts short his first season with an injury IN PRACTICE.

It might be a good idea to consider drafting another QB in 2021.

Date: December 04, 2020 08:56AM

Whoa...

I think everyone needs to take a step back a second and look at this logically.

TUA is fine. Probably better then fine. He might be capable of greatness but like every other QB in history he needs a good team around him.

Look at how well THE DOLPHINS played the last 4-5 games. This is what I've been stressing.....DEFENSE/ Special Teams when they were on , we win.

TUA can be really accurate , he just needs more experience to know how defenses are setting up to defend him. But its defense , special teams, and other offensive players on the Oline/ running game that adds up to wins. NO QB can do it alone.

TUA does have an injury history. Bob Griese had Earl Morrall, Dan Marino had Don Strock. I love Fitz he could probably handle the back up role for another 2 yrs if he wants it. Then we draft another good replacement . Maybe grab another Veteran. I think always having a good Back up for TUA is going to be crucial to a winning season but I think saying a replacement is way to short sighted.

This next draft we target the best receiver in the draft. You DO NOT need to pick a 1st round runningback anymore. draft down Get another Top Olineman and a RB later on. DT. If we keep beefing up the trenches on both sides of the ball You see what we are capable of. Special teams.....so important. Draft guys that are quick , smart , give us good field position , can SUB on defense/offense and gives us great depth.

We got our starting QB. Give him some time to develop , give him what he needs to successful and we will win. Take a deep breath and relax.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 04, 2020 08:56AM

A New QB is not always the answer.A good Defense is.A good running game is.Special Teams. Ask Dan Marino in the 80's would he rather have another star receiver, or a decent running back or a defense that would score points for him as well?

Good Football is a TEAM sport. TUA can handle it. We just need to get the rest of the team playing like they did the last few weeks.....EVERY WEEK.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 09:03AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 05, 2020 08:54PM

Looking briefly at the current rushing yards leaders, it seems the 2nd round is somewhat of a "sweet spot" for finding RB...though far from a rule.

I do agree with continuing to build in the trenches.

Date: December 05, 2020 09:49PM

Ogbah has been so exciting to watch. They are double teaming him , game planning for him . He disrupts offenses, causes turnovers and rushes throws.

Players like Howard, Van Ginkle are all stepping up. Parker , Gieski on offense and the ine is adequate but could use a little more help.....most notably at center. TUA will be just fine with some more help

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: December 13, 2020 01:25PM

"He is got balls to throw the football. He dont wait 7 seconds in the pocket until he gets sacked. He is intelligent, he has pocket awareness. Has accuracy which is his best asset...Not the greatest arm but not the worst either. Ive seen him throw the football with some sip especially in the run."

"Tua is a confident person. He backs it up with high performance."

I think many of you guys are making these wishful statements to try to hide that you were hot to draft this kid. He was and still is injury-prone, he's slow of foot, he holds the ball too long, he's nowhere near as accurate as he was portrayed, he has played a TOTAL of one good half and one decent quarter and this doesn't sound like a number 5 draft choice.

Personally, I would rather have Jay Feidler. He was more accurate, he was tough (something that this kid is not) and he WON without leaning on the defense.

Rick

Date: December 14, 2020 07:48PM

dolphan4545 Wrote:
> "He is got balls to throw the football. He dont
> wait 7 seconds in the pocket until he gets sacked.
> He is intelligent, he has pocket awareness. Has
> accuracy which is his best asset...Not the
> greatest arm but not the worst either. Ive seen
> him throw the football with some sip especially in
> the run."
>
> "Tua is a confident person. He backs it up with
> high performance."
>
> I think many of you guys are making these wishful
> statements to try to hide that you were hot to
> draft this kid. He was and still is injury-prone,
> he's slow of foot, he holds the ball too long,
> he's nowhere near as accurate as he was portrayed,
> he has played a TOTAL of one good half and one
> decent quarter and this doesn't sound like a
> number 5 draft choice.
>
> Personally, I would rather have Jay Feidler. He
> was more accurate, he was tough (something that
> this kid is not) and he WON without leaning on the
> defense.

Just think if we drafted Burrow at #1 overall who's out until sometime next year with a torn ACL/MCL. Now that would be something to be really disappointed about.

I personally wasn't all up in Tua's jock before we drafted him, in fact I was surprised that Miami didn't draft Herbert at #5. I can't be all bummed about Tua though, as Fitz has thrown 9 INT's compared to Tua's 1 INT and being only 1 game behind Fitz. I think Tua will be just fine as long as he can stay healthy.

Date: December 15, 2020 07:57AM

Burrow wouldn't necessarily have gotten hurt if we had drafted him. Herbert is also the QB that I wanted. For better or for worse we ended up with the little fella and all we can do is hope that the evaluation process on him wasn't done by the same gaggle of clowns that determined that Philbin was the genius behind Rodger's success but missed the fact that he didn't actually call any of the plays or that Gase was going to be the next young Don Shula.
Those idiots are still out there.

Date: December 15, 2020 08:46AM

I think tuas decision was made on the fact that he had like a 200 rating in college. His long ball was out of this world.

Date: December 15, 2020 08:51AM

Tua is so accurate that he copletes passes when our receivers have no separation whatsoever.

Date: December 16, 2020 12:53AM

For me, there's a lot to like about Tua and some things to worry about.

What I like most is that he has things that are seemingly very difficult - if not impossible - to teach. Things like accuracy, timing, pocket presence. Maybe among those types of things that I like best is his commitment to doing the hard work the right way to improve.

I can't remember precisely where I saw it, but I think it was Dilfer who runs a QB camp and sent Tua home after the camp telling him about a big gap in his game. Whatever it was, Tua came back the next year not only having improved, but being the best Dilfer (or whoever it was - honestly can't remember) had ever seen at that. Getting better or even "good enough" wasn't good enough for Tua...he seemingly had to completely slay the weakness.

As I bring this up please hear clearly that I'm not comparing the 2 overall or saying Tua will or even can be transcendent like this. But, I remember growing up and hearing about how some said of Michael Jordan "he may be a prolific scorer, but his defense is lacking". I think it was the very next year or shortly thereafter that he improved to the point of being named defensive player of the year. I hope that's the kind of mentality Tua has to attacking any of his weaknesses.

Date: December 16, 2020 01:22AM

Tsstamper good points. Nobody is perfect. What are Tuas weakness , whats he going to go work on this off season to come back better?

Hard to say becuase he hasn't really done much wrong.I think he just needs to work on TUA. Maybe work on arm strength, get a little more zip? Add about 10 pounds of muscle to handle the rigors of the NFL a little better? His decision making has been pretty good. I seriously have no issues.
This is going to be an important off season for the Dolphins.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 16, 2020 02:46AM

Tua is slow with his reads at times ut it does now worry me because he is a rookie. He is seeing nfl speed and nfl defenses for the times. He has the smarts to figure it out and I think he will and be even better in 2021. I do think its time to invest in another backup and let Fitz go next year.

Date: December 16, 2020 10:48AM

Looking forward to seeing his last 3 games to help answer the "what does he need to work on" because I believe I've seen him improve on some weaknesses over the course of his games so far this season. And, Belicheck always seems to show us new (or at least magnify existing) weaknesses of our key players.

From what I've seen so far, I think he could work on:
- continued overall understanding of the offensive system and reads/progressions within it. The "who's gonna be where & when" stuff. There have been times where it looks like he just misses seeing someone who's open, as if he didn't look there for some reason.
- internal clock: he still occasionally hangs on to the ball and takes a sack when he probably should have thrown it away. The safety is an example, but there have been several others.
- I'd agree that adding a bit of healthy weight...he definitely looks small and I can't help but think fragile (though I'm sure I'm predisposed to thinking it) out there
- arm strength/add'l zip would be helpful

I honestly can't list all the things I think I've seen him improve upon, but the most recent that comes to mind is him trusting receivers to make plays even when they're pretty well covered a la Fitz. This is especially true with Gesicki, which is why it sucks so much to lose him to injury.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: December 16, 2020 06:19PM

Yes Tua has things to work on like being decisive when he should run and getting rid of the ball a bit quicker as well as throwing the ball away when warranted. We should draft another capable QB somewhere in the draft as a backup on the cheap just not until the third round or later depending on who is available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.