Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Jim Caldwell says ‘it’s crazy’ when teams part with good players. ..........
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Jim Caldwell says ‘it’s crazy’ when teams part with good players. ..........
Date: August 09, 2020 03:39AM

Quote:

"In a rare interview, ex-Dolphins assistant Jim Caldwell did not name the Dolphins but said he’s philosophically opposed to teams letting top players get away. He even called it a firing offense"

I don’t understand that,” Caldwell said, again, in general about losing talent. “It’d take you four or five years to find another player like that, right? And you’re going to run that guy out of the building. Find a way to work with that guy.

“Now if it was just somebody who just you can’t deal with because he’s doing so many things that don’t make sense — that he’s tough to handle, that he’s arrogant, that he can’t be coached — that’s different. But for guys that are manageable and they can play? It makes no sense to me. That’s counterproductive.

TO ME I find letting go of good/great players who go on elsewhere to greatness was Miami's biggest issue in the last few decades....not drafting poorly. Time and again we see players leave here only to win a championship elsewhere. This quote really resonted with me . Hopefully they are aware of it and are trying to change it.

You can't change personel constantly and create a team concept. I get the salary cap issues Flores inherited. And sometimes 3 first rounders to just too good to pass up. But in general letting go of NON DEVELOPED players who go on to greatness has been a big issue here. 7-11 Hogan is a good example. We were the leagues "farm system" for too long. I blame most of this on the past coaches . The talent was brought in and they failed.

Flores made Lemonade out of lemons last season.... I feel really good about our future and this changing.Its crucial to our success.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jim Caldwell says ‘it’s crazy’ when teams part with good players. ..........
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: August 09, 2020 11:53PM

In general, I agree with the Caldwell's perspective - but I think context plays a huge part, and he alludes pretty directly to that.

In terms of the context related to Tunsil, I think there's:
- "the Patriot way" of allocating relatively less $$ to the OL as opposed to what was probably general knowledge that Tunsil would reset the market (which he did by $4 mill/yr)
- the haul "even I would trade me for that"
- the reality that - while he's consistently improved (and that's hugely commendable) - he's still yet to reach his full potential...therefore it's still a question as to whether he will

In terms of Fitzpatrick:
- Caldwell's comments about "you can't deal with" may have been directly or in part related to the Minkah situation...or perhaps Jamal Adams or DeAndre Hopkins or Antonio Brown, etc.
- of course Minkah looked/performed "night and day" different w/PIT because we were introducing new rookie UDFA's to one another as starters at the coin flip while PIT had a starting defense with 7 1st rounders and only one player drafted after the 3rd round teaming in an established system
- PIT isn't in a great salary cap position, and Minkah could be fighting for scarce Steeler dollars over the next couple years if he wants to stay there

I've shared in the past my own thoughts on Minkah. I probably would have benched him, but now we simply have to see whether Austin Jackson performs at a 1st-round level at a premium position.

I do strongly agree that our coaching staff over the past 20 yrs has gotten much less out of the natural talent on hand than is reasonable to expect.

Re: Jim Caldwell says ‘it’s crazy’ when teams part with good players. ..........
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 08:20AM

I did not agree with trading 2 'cornerstone' players in Tunsil and Minka. Tunsil is hitting his perennial pro bowler stride and Minka will soon follow. Im playing a wait and see game regarding if Flores made the right calls there. Some fans thought Minka should have just shut up and played. I thought he was right. When you draft an alpha you have to acknowledge his strengths. Phins said the drafted Minka for his outstanding leadership and smarts then totally ignored them. IMO Flores chose to stick with the 'Patriot way' instead of figuring out the best way to use this extraordinary chess piece. This to me is a common failing trait for Belichik's proteges. Im giving Flores a Mulligan here due to this being his first gig but I did not agree w/ what he did.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 11, 2020 08:26AM

I didnt agree with the tunsil trade.

Minkah on the other was complaing and wanted to be traded.

If a player is not content in your organization for any reason the let him go because its going to become a distraction to team.

Date: August 11, 2020 08:29AM

The tunsil trade was something else. The phins have been strugli g with the oli e for years and they going to trade a oline player with pro bowl potential?

Looks like flores wants his own draftees. His own guys.

Date: August 11, 2020 09:31AM

Interesting article on the news feed that quotes Minkah at length about the incident(s) that led to his trade along with some analysis that debunks part of what he says and also references how he said the polar opposite about the same basic situation ("I'll do anything..play any position" ) in PIT. That's hypocritical of him and reveals a pretty significant character flaw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 09:31AM by tsstamper.

Date: August 11, 2020 11:39AM

In defense of Minkah His rookie season I saw him screaming at the sidelines and Gase was buried in his Offensive playbook. He was frustrated and no one was addressing his concerns. As soon as he got to a well disaplined defense where his job was better defined he excelled.

The Tunsil trade will depend on how the draft picks we got turn out. He was a blue chip Olineman and God knows we need oline production, but one player can't make a squad. The Dolphins were not playoff contenders, carrying such a high profile player wouldn't get us to be. But 3 high round picks.....might.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 11, 2020 11:41AM

The biggest example of letting go a great player .....was Jarvis Laundry. That was ahole Gase. Landry was willing to take less to stay here. He was a playmaker. Imagine TUA to Laundry!? My god... I hope others step up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2020 01:55PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: August 11, 2020 09:05PM

I can see a possibility that Flores - even now - might look back on the Minkah deal and think "I may have been able to handle that better where we get to keep a talented player and have him fully bought in", which is gold - young, talented and fully bought in. Not knowing all the ins & outs, obviously, there's also a good possibility that he's perfectly content with the outcome knowing that he couldn't have gotten Minkah 100% bought in w/o damaging the core concept of team before individual.

Where I give Flores a lot of grace (especially in comparison to Gase) is that talented players have publicly said one of the reasons they came to Miami is because of "Flo". And, because of what I saw last year - a deeply undertalented team that exceeded expectations under his leadership. To my knowledge and recollection, I can't think of any other player that wanted out of Miami because of Flores.

Where I can't afford as much grace with Minkah is that his branding coming out of Bama was that of swiss army knife and coach's dream kid in terms of personality. Then, when things don't go his way early on w/Flo, he throws a toddler-esque tantrum. Then, he portrays the humble willingness to do whatever it takes at whatever position in PIT. If that's who you are at your core...that's who you should be no matter the circumstances.

The Gase stuff w/Minkah in 2018 could have very well been a part of why early 2019 didn't go well with him and us. Flores may have inherited much of the issue. Gase is a...well, I'll let anyone else fill in the blank but I'm glad he's with the Jets.

Date: August 12, 2020 01:51AM

Lol. Gase to the Jets has been my greatest joy. We may have let go of some talent to other teams, but Gase has proven the exact opposite!grinning smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2020 01:53AM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 12, 2020 03:50AM

Minkah was a young intelligent player who could sniff out something was wrong. He tried to speak up no one thought he was worth listening to so he played his card and left. Flores was a young coach who could have handled the situation better. If you bring in a leader you have to let him lead. Ed Reed probably would have done the same thing as Minkah.

I wish him well, we lost a good safety but have moved on.

Date: August 12, 2020 10:39AM

What mincah is selfish inmature. He didnt get his way so he threw a tantrum.

So long to the immature ones.go throw a tantrum somewhere else.

Date: August 12, 2020 10:56AM

If we get great production out of #18 (from Pittsburgh): Austin Jackson, OT, USC.......we will never even think twice about losing Tunsil or Minka.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.