Places To Watch
HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Will the COVID-19 affect the upcoming draft?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Will the COVID-19 affect the upcoming draft?
Date: March 11, 2020 05:22PM

The NBA season was just canceled. Thats unprecedented in recent sports history,

I don't think the NFL season is in jeopardy but the NFL draft in Vegas might be. As of now over a month out no decisions are being made. But its a distinct possibility.

I get cancelling the huge public show/party. But I'd think they could still hold a draft safely . Hope it doesn't come to that...Miami needs all the help they can get!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will the COVID-19 affect the upcoming draft?
Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 11, 2020 05:30PM

I think they'll be just fine without the public spectacle. Maybe they can get on with it quicker without all the bullshit hype that drags it on. I'd be happy if it were over in two days.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: March 11, 2020 05:37PM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think they'll be just fine without the public
> spectacle. Maybe they can get on with it quicker
> without all the bullshit hype that drags it on.
> I'd be happy if it were over in two days.

If they hold a draft with out all the BS and hype....I might even pay attention! Maybe.

As for the NBA season, the story I just saw said that they are "suspending" the season "until further notice" . Which very well could lead to a full cancellation but if the health concerns happen to clear up within the next month or so (here's hoping), then maybe they can resume a shortened season. (Go Celtics!).

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 05:50PM

Guys, this ISN'T the Spanish Flu, and its not 1917.

Rick

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: March 11, 2020 06:14PM

I think all the NEW steps NOW being taken to contain and isolate the virus are smart. The guy who cares ONLY about the economy is being whipped into line and is becoming responsible for the First time.

If they can play games without fans who needs hoopla surrounding a draft. A draft is far less important. Cancelling games is costing blue collar workers money. Who cares that some reporter's won't be able to interview some college kids.

Date: March 11, 2020 07:16PM

808phan Wrote:
> I think they'll be just fine without the public
> spectacle. Maybe they can get on with it quicker
> without all the bullshit hype that drags it on.
> I'd be happy if it were over in two days.

Draft used to be 1 Day. I'm all for keeping it buisness without the circus.
But the NFL loves the "Event" they created.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 02:50AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I think all the NEW steps NOW being taken to
> contain and isolate the virus are smart. The guy
> who cares ONLY about the economy is being whipped
> into line and is becoming responsible for the
> First time.
>
> If they can play games without fans who needs
> hoopla surrounding a draft. A draft is far less
> important. Cancelling games is costing blue
> collar workers money. Who cares that some
> reporter's won't be able to interview some college
> kids.

You do realize that same guy you speak of cut off all travel to China well before any other countries did. Look at the EU right now. So to say "NOW" like it just started is ridiculous.

I will say the response with test kits has been horrible but the containment effort has been pretty damn good.

I would worry more about the flu and heart disease than this "pandemic".

About the draft, I would love to see it without the circus. Just wait your time and pick you guy...Simple as that. Don't need 8 experts going through and telling me why this was a bad pick or if it was the best pick in the draft. Also don't care about seeing other teams fans either...

Date: March 12, 2020 09:20AM

I'm not worried about the epidemic itself. I'm pretty healthy and I think the precautions taken were spot on and unprecedented. Leadership has been amazing.

Just seeing things like major sports functions shut down really made me go "of shit". Never thought I'd see people on that level actual put people first. Guess when it could affect them or their loved ones they all of a sudden give a shit.

Getting back to the draft I think if its put off its because the NFL is afraid to see it might actually be better to have a dialed back , back to basics draft. No reason to be put off. They can get this done with remotes from every war room. Just use play BIO's and Pictures. No need to see chest bumps with the Commish and who is wearing the loudest suit.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: March 12, 2020 10:05AM

I would think the virus would impact the draft. Alot of schools are cancelling "pro days", Dolphins and others pulling scouts off the road. I'm not sure how the NFL will work it. I could definitely do without all the hype.

I personally am taking the Coronavirus situation seriously. My daughter, who was studying in Italy, was sent home with her classmates and is currently under self-quarantine, not because the govt told her to but because I insisted she do it. The last I heard from my son was that his Navy ship was leaving a port in SE Asia with the likely prospect of 2 week quarantine at sea before returning to Japan. The virus likely would have little impact on the kids or myself but would do in my parents and 4 month old grandson.

Date: March 12, 2020 10:31AM

Funny, I read your response just as I am seeing Congressional response to the administration's own response. Needless to say they are not happy.

It's obvious that who I am speaking of only cares about the economy. I wish the best for everyone but as I type this the news is also talking about entertainment closings and the closing of the March madness tourney.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:13AM

And in fact China quarantined ITSELF before any orher country acted.

Date: March 12, 2020 11:27AM

Lets keep politics out of this please. Some people actually want to pull together and the country to succeed.

Draft comments or start a new thread. CURT IS WATCHING.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 12, 2020 11:30AM

The Miami Dolphins have announced the suspension of travel for all coaches and scouts due to the COVID-19 virus. The move comes as sports leagues and events around the country are suspending operations or planning major changes including playing without fans in arenas. The Dolphins, as with several other NFL franchises, are making this move just as Pro Day and private workouts for draft prospects were beginning.

This HAS to effect the draft. Our chances to evaluate players. Make better informed decisions. All teams will be in the same boat. I hope they have alot of data and film to be able to pour through........

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: March 13, 2020 06:38PM

I read Hebert had a really good pro day and did a little extra for Miami. Miami's QB coach asked him to do a special workout that wasn't pre-planned and he complied. Hebert stood in front of the goal line flat footed and threw 61 yards to opposite hash marks. The dude has a serious arm. He and Miami's QB coach seemed to hit it off pretty good joking around. The same article I read said some teams have him ahead of Tua on their order. I think Miami is definitely interested in Hebert.

Date: March 13, 2020 06:44PM

Herbert would be my go to guy at #5. Tua wont make it past his 3rd season.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 02:01PM

Herbert or Love
Best OL Wills, Bechton, Jones
Deandre Swift

Jeremy Chinn Minkah who?

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: March 14, 2020 02:04PM

Anybody in the 1st round but tua please. This guys body is shut down.

Date: March 14, 2020 04:32PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
> Herbert or Love
> Best OL Wills, Bechton, Jones
> Deandre Swift
>
> Jeremy Chinn Minkah who?

We are right on par. We wind up with any three of those players.....maybe 4! If we draft down......We would be a whole new team.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2020 04:34PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Date: March 14, 2020 04:38PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Anybody in the 1st round but tua please. This guys
> body is shut down.

So True. You go car shopping you dont buy a car with a few dents in it.

He wont last a few seasons with Spring traing and summer camps. The ankles, the hip......these are worse then a knee or a shoulder. Please stay away.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: March 14, 2020 06:28PM

Tua's health problems are far more than a car with a few dents in it.

He doesn't just have a chip on a part of his hip.

HIS WHOLE HIP SOCKET HAS BEEN THROWN OFF AND TWISTED OUT OF PLACE.

The most optimistic reports I have heard are that it will take at least one season to see if putting the socket back in place will correct it.

It not just a car with a few dents in it. It's a car that has an axle and frame that has been mashed into a different configuration.

Any team that chooses him is stupid. He'll have a whole season to recover and come back next January to April (2021) to demonstrate that he should be drafted in 2021.

If some other team snatches him before us then I say "Tuff." Not worse the risk to draft him in 2020 instead of 2021.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.