HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Burrow
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Burrow
Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 09:37AM

jsm08 I totally agree! Treasure I that Flores is smarter and we should make a choice and stick with it. But I do think the team lost confidence in Tanny for whatever reason and he needed a change.

I maybe wrong about Hebert, I think he can be really good, but I liked Josh Allen better than Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen in that draft and we are seeing that play out. I like his arm and mobility, I read he has all kinds of mechanical issues that the Oregon coaches could have fixed but chose not to, but are easily correctable. And you cannot teach a cannon arm. I think he has a higher ceiling than Burrows and a healthy Tua. I personally think we have seen all that those two are capable of, they won't get much better. But Hebert is really close but with coaching can get much better. If we want that generational QB I think it is him, swing for the fences, take Hebert.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 10:22AM

I say take herbert at 5. At some point we have to take a shot.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 10:29AM

Right this is a huge draft for us. We have a ton of holes to fill. That is why I want to keep all of our picks and not trade up.

Right now we need to fill

3 of 5 positions on oline. 1 filled position can be upgraded.

Both OLB positions need to be filled.

SS and I am concerned w/ McCain at FS not sure he can hold up to the punishment at S.

QB - an old guy and an unproven guy

RB - unproven guys

DL - Could really use a space eating nose tackle

CB - depth or even another starter

We need depth everywhere except maybe WR.

We have a lot of young unproven players and castoffs like Boehm, Charlton and Biegel. I respect what guys like Biegel and Boehm did in 2019 but still not sure that they are long term solutions.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: February 19, 2020 11:58AM

I'd offer a 2nd to Washington for Trent Williams and sign Scherff in FA.

Left side solved!

Date: February 19, 2020 12:17PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I say take herbert at 5. At some point we have to
> take a shot.

Why? If no one on staff really likes any why do we need to take a shot? Right now our team is not set up to support any QB let alone a greenhorn rookie. You would have Tannehill 2012 all over again. And we have two good options for now in Fitz and Rosen.

We cant afford to "take a shot". Unless they love a kid , fully expect him to start you dont take him in the first round.

IMO only Burrows and Hubert fit that mold. I only hope if Miami picks another QB they love the kid and are not just taking a shot.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 19, 2020 12:35PM

Yeah tcpf lets trade down and adquire 7 or 8 olinemen like you want. Weve been strenghening the trenches for years without a great qb. And look where we are today. Draft a qb in the first round until you find the right one. Had we done that in the last 10 years we would have a great qb in place.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 19, 2020 06:41PM

TreasurecoastPhinsfan Wrote:
> samsam3738 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I say take herbert at 5. At some point we have
> to
> > take a shot.
>
>
> Why? If no one on staff really likes any why do we
> need to take a shot?

RESPONSE: Do you actually have any information that "no one on staff really likes any..."????

>Right now our team is not set
> up to support any QB let alone a greenhorn rookie.
> You would have Tannehill 2012 all over again.

RESPONSE: Did we in 1967? That year we drafted the second best touted rookie QB after Steve Spurrier. His name was Bob Griese.

> And we have two good options for now in Fitz and
> Rosen.

RESPONSE: True if all of a sudden the draft were magically abolished, we still would have Fitz and Rosen but again, the draft is the place you use to replenish your supplies.

>
> We cant afford to "take a shot".

RESPONSE: AGAIN, every draftee is taking a shot. Just because they play on the line, that doesn't mean drafting them is risk free.

Linemen can bust out too.

I remember Eric Kumerow.

Unless they love
> a kid , fully expect him to start you dont take
> him in the first round.

RESPONSE: Does that rule of yours only apply to quarterback??? If so that pretty much means you are against ever drafting a QB in the first round and particularly not with a top 5 pick.

I guess you see a top 5 pick as only a great way to get multiple 5th and 6th round picks.

>
> IMO only Burrows and Hubert fit that mold. I only
> hope if Miami picks another QB they love the kid
> and are not just taking a shot.

RESPONSE: Of course if they pick ANY PLAYER AT DRAFT POSITION NUMBER FIVE OF THE FIRST ROUND, that means automatically they would love him.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 20, 2020 12:15AM

While it hasn't been with this regime (though Grier has been a part of past ones), we've done fairly well picking OL in the 1st round. Not Cowboys-level success with multiple pro-bowlers seemingly every year...but more "pretty good and definitely not a bust" level overall. When they were all healthy for that "cup of coffee" in 2016, our offense was clicking behind a line featuring 4 1st rounders (3 drafted by us) and some other dude at RG (not even bothering to look him up).

For whatever reason, we have sucked at OL picks in 3rd round and below. So, 1st round OL - especially for us given our history - seems like a relatively safe pick, and certainly we have a need on the OL.

For me, the question at 5 isn't whether we need OL or can have a relatively high degree of confidence that we'll get a quality OL piece there...it's about what we'd potentially be giving up in terms of a chance for greatness.

It's not that I'm entirely against picking OL @ 5. Indy was probably super happy with Nelson @ 6 a couple years ago because they had Luck and he is seemingly a generational talent at OG. If they had known Luck was going to retire, I'm guessing they would have stayed at 3 and taken a chance on greatness and drafted a QB. They still should be incredibly happy, but they're rumored to be wanting to find their true QB of the future.

Great teams seem to take calculated chances on greatness, whatever that might mean. It might mean KC moving up for Mahomes and his unorthodox, possibly system-driven style even tho they had Smith leading winning seasons with very good stats. It might mean GB picking the QB who fell so far in 2005, sort of saving him from freefall because of his perceived shortcomings. Maybe it's SEA picking Wilson in the 3rd in spite of size and the possibility he'd play baseball. Baltimore moving back up to #32 to pick Jackson, giving up a 2019 2nd rounder to move the 20 spots even though he was the 5th QB taken because of doubts that his game would translate.

None of them had to pick in the top 5 to make this happen, but I'm guessing that all of them, in retrospect, - and any other sane team - would move into the top 5 to get these players.

My vote (and I know there's a lot of offseason yet to play out before the draft) is to take a chance on greatness that high in the draft rather than picking OL @ 5 or trading down to get more linemen later.

Date: February 20, 2020 02:53AM

Samsam I really hope you are joking about taking a QB in the first round until we find one that is good. Because here's all the drafts since Tannehill and who we would have had:

2013 - EJ Manuel not Dion Jordan (both bad)
2014 Johnny Manzel not JaJaun James (we loose)
2015 Garret Grayson not Devante Parker ( we loose)
2016 Paxton Lynch not Laremy Tunsil (we loose)
2017 Deshone Kizer not Charles Harris (yuck)
2018 Lamar Jackson not Minkah Fitzpatrick (finally a good QB , but we could have traded up one spot for Rosen)
2019 Drew Luck not Christian Wilkins (we loose)

in your scenerio yes we do finally get a good QB but are so bad we probably get demoted to the Canadian Football league or NFL Europe

Date: February 20, 2020 04:22AM

Date: February 20, 2020 04:22AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Well astro34 here is the point...Since marino who
> was drafted in the first round we have only picked
> one qb in the first round. And thats tannehill.
> Thats for the last 35 years or so.
>
> And look where we are today. Still in need of a
> qb.
>
> So i say keep drafting a qb in the first round
> until you hit on one.
>
> If he doesnt work then release him...
>
> As far as his contract? Work it out.
>
> A way that you can release him and still not owe
> the farm to him.

Date: February 20, 2020 05:48AM

I am totally in favor of finding a good QB.... but stats show that more QB's since 2000 that won the super bowl were drafted outside the first round. Now I am not in favor of drafting an OL every first round, that's nuts too.

I look at as if you drafted a pitcher every year in the first round until you finally find a good one, but your defense is awful. How good is your team?

If working with pro sports showed me, one guy does not make a team. We had the best QB in arena football when I worked with a team but didn't win the championship because we were not a complete team.

I think our team has fallen behind because of bad scouting and evaluations of player talent. Hopefully we have fixed that problem.

Date: February 20, 2020 06:07AM

Well astro...we have tried to fix the entire team all these years and couldnt score. And look where we are now.we have to find a way to score points. And thats with a great qb.

Date: February 20, 2020 06:09AM

Up until today it has been fix the defense fix the oline etc etc....without trying to find the engine to the team and thats the qb....you can have the tires the breaks the syeering wheel etc etc but if you dont have the engine the car will not run.

Date: February 20, 2020 06:11AM

A great qb is the heart of the team and the hardest thing to find. Fix the qb position first and the build around him.

Date: February 20, 2020 06:15AM

A great qb is the heart of the team and the hardest thing to find. Fix the qb position first and the build around him. Because it hasnt worked the other way around. For nearly 40 years since dan retired. All we want is a chance to be in the playoffs even if we lose. Just a chance.

Date: February 20, 2020 06:19AM

You can view this from many angles. And i respect that.But i truly believe im correct.

Date: February 20, 2020 07:15AM

Samsam I respect your opinion .........we both want Miami to finally fix things and be a contender again...I really don't care which opinion is correct as long as they get it done!!!!!!!!!

Date: February 20, 2020 07:20AM

Agreed 1000 percent astro. As long as they get it done and thats all that matters.

Date: February 20, 2020 07:26AM

Yet some of us are hating on each other for having different opinions.

Astros conclusion is one of best statements to end all the fights on this board.

We all rooting for the same outcome.

Date: February 20, 2020 07:30AM

Although its an unknown to some of us how someone can root for a player whos no longer a phin.

I only root for phin players.

Every other player whos no longer a phin can go suck a lemon. Without sugar.

Date: February 20, 2020 07:47AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Yeah tcpf lets trade down and adquire 7 or 8
> olinemen like you want. Weve been strenghening the
> trenches for years without a great qb. And look
> where we are today. Draft a qb in the first round
> until you find the right one. Had we done that in
> the last 10 years we would have a great qb in
> place.

No. We had morons calling the shots and picked the wrong players. Jonathan Martin ring a bell? We picked terrible linemen after terrible lineman.
Then You ASSUMED our QB didnt have it.

We need to make quality picks. No matter what the position.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 20, 2020 07:51AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Although its an unknown to some of us how someone
> can root for a player whos no longer a phin.
>
> I only root for phin players.
>
>
Oh bullshit. I'll go back and give 20 examples of you rooting for Tannehill to fail. Just wish you were man enough to admit it.

Who's riding that pine boy!? You are.

Now I'm rooting for Fitz and Rosen.

You still cant. You want that draft day high. Its consumed your rational thought process. 1st round QB. Only avenue to success. You couldnt be more wroung.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: February 20, 2020 07:54AM

Maybe you in love with the wet firecracka.

Date: February 20, 2020 07:56AM

And lets not forget.....You didnt want lamar jackon.....you didnt want deshaun watson either...

And when tua was healthy you didnt want him either...

Why is that tcpf????

Do i detect a trend here...

And i say it again yes when tua was healthy you didnt want us to draft him either.

Please elaborate on that.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: February 20, 2020 02:21PM

The answer, SamSam, is like Doris Day sung, he's "in love with a wonderful guy."

Date: February 20, 2020 05:08PM

Lmao

Date: February 20, 2020 11:39PM

samsam3738 Wrote:
> Maybe you in love with the wet firecracka.

I'm in Love with the Miami Dolphins. And we blew a chance to be in the AFC championship game and further if we picked the right players like Tennessee has.

Your either too stupid to see it, or just not man enough to admit you were wrong. Probably both.

But we have the chance to do it again. And "Taking a shot" might be enough for your childish mind and instant gratification "draft day wants" but I want championships.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: February 21, 2020 02:51AM

I enjoy coming on here to learn about whats going on with the team. I wouldn't say I am an avid or overly-opinionated poster.

Has there been a thread in the last 3 years, ANY THREAD that at one point in the thread has not devolved into a conversation about Tanneyhill? It really kind of ruins the board

Date: February 21, 2020 04:15AM

Hey tcpf let me know when tannehill wins a championship.

The answer is never. Because whenever is crunch time and his teams needs a big play to win game...he stinks it up.

Tannehill is a dud!!!!!

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.