HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Do we really want this Tua guy?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Do we really want this Tua guy?
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 07, 2020 09:34PM

Poll
Agree?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
9 votes were received.
Disagree? 3

33%
Violently disagree? 6

67%

I cannot understand why certain local writers-and some talking heads- are drooling over a college injury-prone, short, left-handed, slow of foot quarterback, with bad ankles and a current hip injury like Tua Taguvailoa. If he is injury prone in college, what is going to happen when he is playing against faster, bigger, more talented players every single week? I'm not a college football guy, so I have only seen him in really big college games, in which he has been good, but not great. So, even if he is good when he is on the field, his history says he will miss a certain amount of games, and if we have to give up a lot to get him, we won't have the wherewithal to get the O-line we would need to protect this fragile player. Also , I have heard podcasters refer to "he HAD a hip injury" when, as of now, "he HAS a hip injury". This seems like foolish wishful thinking to me. He can't even walk properly until March.
Having said that , I defer to if Flores and Grier if they really want this guy. I hope that they are smarter than that, however.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do we really want this Tua guy?
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 07, 2020 10:14PM

No. It was too big of an injury.

Like I said long ago. I will be happy if he is just able to live a regular life.

Date: January 07, 2020 11:09PM

Doctors are giving him a good prognosis for a full recovery. I agree way too injury prone at the college level to be successful at the NFL level.Both his ankles have pins in them.

I think rubber meets the road on his Pro day when he works out for teams. If Miami is still in love with him fine.I heard Ross has a super hard on for him , like Robert Kraft at a strip mall massage parlor......But I hope they move on.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 08, 2020 02:24AM

We have 3 first round picks and 5 of the first 60 picks. If his meds check out you take him at 5. If he flames out we still have 2 more firsts and seconds to build the roster.

This guy won't make it out of the top 10. At some point you take a chance instead of making excuses because if we pass and he flourishes elsewhere, well, you get the picture.

He was projected at the #1 overall pick prior to the season. Take him if he's deemed healthy.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: January 08, 2020 02:30AM

Ankle injuries do not bother me. As I understand it he does not have pins in his ankle. A new surgical method was used to repair his ankles. The hip injury is why I would pass on him. We are trying to build for the future I don't want to do that w/ a qb with an injury like that. Use the first 3 picks on players with an injury free background. I would only consider Tua in the 3rd round at this point.

At this point I want Hurts or Eason.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: January 08, 2020 02:48AM

I "may" take him if he falls into the second round, but way to much of a risk before that. He has ankles with basically fishing line through them holding them together, and a hip that supposedly has lost internal rotation. The fracture will heal, he will walk and run again but if you loose motion in a body part what happens when that part actually has to do that motion? You rip it apart. Why take the chance?

Date: January 08, 2020 03:53AM

jsm08 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We have 3 first round picks and 5 of the first 60
> picks. If his meds check out you take him at 5.
> If he flames out we still have 2 more firsts and
> seconds to build the roster.
>
> This guy won't make it out of the top 10. At some
> point you take a chance instead of making excuses
> because if we pass and he flourishes elsewhere,
> well, you get the picture.
>
> He was projected at the #1 overall pick prior to
> the season. Take him if he's deemed healthy.

I cant argue with that either. We have 3 first rounders. with 5 in the Top 60 our needs will be met. We can afford to take the chance if all checks out with him. But if I was running that war room I'd pass. He will be there at #5 for sure unless another Team drops a load to move up in front of us.

Burrows and Young go 1&2. Andrews possibly in the Top 4. I'd roll the dice and take Tua at #20 if hes still there.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: January 08, 2020 04:58AM

No tua.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 08, 2020 05:25AM

I'd think about taking him with the Pittsburgh or Texas pick but I'm sure he will gone then.

I'm just not comfortable with taking him with the #5.

This may change closer to the draft but it's how I feel now.

Date: January 08, 2020 05:35AM

Tua in the second or third yes....He probably wont last....But his injury is just too much to overcome especially when he the run and shoot type.

Date: January 08, 2020 05:55AM

I don't get it. Why would people be comfortable taking him with a later 1st than the 5th pick? Does it mitigate the risk?

If you're sold on him you get him. With the number of picks we have there's very little risk.

Date: January 08, 2020 06:05AM

Just saying that Tua is head and shoulders better than any QB in this draft, not named Burrow, when healthy.

If he gets a clean bill of health I'd rather take that chance than go with an average QB without the injury history. That's Herbert, Eason, and Hurts. If we do play it safe I'd rather take a guy like Love at the end of the first, beginning of the second and develop him.

And if he does get a clean bill of health he won't make it past Carolina.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 08, 2020 06:12AM

I'm just thinking your first pick, especially that low at 5, should be someone who can be part of the foundation of your team for year to come, and when they don't turn out that way they are considered a bust.

His injury, right now, has ME too paranoid to pick him at 5.

Date: January 08, 2020 07:07AM

jsm08 its interesting that you described Tua as " head and shoulders better than any QB in this draft" considering those are the only body parts he didn't injure at Alabama.

If I had to take one of the QB's if healthy to win one game then yes I would take Tua. But the reality is Tua is often injured playing behind a great line with great skill players and still Had 4 operations. The Pro game is longer played with bigger stronger and faster players. I believe he is not worth the risk in the first round.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: January 08, 2020 08:47AM

RG3 comes to mind when I think of Tua. I also felt RG3 had too small of a frame and would be injured ruining his potential as a long term NFL QB. Taking a chance on Tua is extremely risky.

Date: January 08, 2020 08:55AM

They better not pick tua.

Date: January 08, 2020 11:20AM

Here is what the National Football League's own draft expert says about us

"Don't get me wrong, I love the 37-year-old FitzMagic as a placeholder QB, but this team -- which went a remarkable 5-4 from November on (beating two division champs along the way!) despite being stripped down to the studs -- needs to find a longer-term answer under center. Fortunately, it's brimming with draft capital (including three first-rounders in 2020)."

Date: January 08, 2020 11:25AM

jsm08 Wrote:
> I don't get it. Why would people be comfortable
> taking him with a later 1st than the 5th pick?
> Does it mitigate the risk?
>
> If you're sold on him you get him. With the
> number of picks we have there's very little risk.

If someone is picked in the Top Ten , first round at all actually......you expect that player to contribute immediately. To be the focus of your rebuild.

I dont see any QB besides Burrows who could be that focus and upset Fitzpatrick/even Rosen as #2.

So taking him at #5 for us is a huge overdraft. From what I read he did his last press conference without crutches and just walking is a chore for him.

At best you are looking at a Player who might not be healthy to play until 2021. Is he worth that kind of chance?

With 3 first rounders we can take that chance but I wouldn't until the end of the first round.

The team will have to add up alot of factors, how is his Pro day? What does thier medical staff say? That #5 is Fing valuable. We can get a solid starter at a position of need or several other picks.

Is Tua worth that gamble? They would need to be seriously in love IMO.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 08, 2020 11:37AM

JSM08 is right that if you're going to pick him in the first round, you might as well pick him first to be sure you get him.

It's a gamble.

One that I'm not sure I would take if we can get Burrows.

Date: January 08, 2020 02:25PM

My true hope is that Burrow has a horrible championship game and sows some doubt in the Bengals.

Date: January 08, 2020 03:09PM

jsm08 Wrote:
> My true hope is that Burrow has a horrible
> championship game and sows some doubt in the
> Bengals.

"
The Pitt football team's fortunes and Marinos's statistics dipped during his senior year, which saw the team transition from head coach Jackie Sherrill to new coach Foge Fazio, culminating in a 7–3 loss in the 1983 Cotton Bowl Classic to Southern Methodist University"

I doubt we get lucky again. But he is going to be great.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: January 08, 2020 03:43PM

With his injury history I consider him a reach in the 1st round especially at #5.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: January 08, 2020 03:47PM

I would only want him as a third rounder or later, as Mizzou said.

Didn't Daunte Culpepper have a "clean bill of health" when we picked him up (granted not in a draft, but after a devastating injury). He was never the same with us, not even close. So I'm not sold on the "clean bill of health" thing in general.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: January 08, 2020 04:40PM

Well, other than the three votes in the poll by members that didn't feel the need to explain why they voted the way that they did, virtually all the members who posted an opinion pretty much agreed with me. And I agree that #5 is too high to risk on this guy. What I would really like to do is draft Jordan Love with the last #1 that we have this year(if possible) and deal for more ammunition for next year's draft. If Love(or, really, whoever) has "IT" and becomes our franchise guy, wonderful! Also, let's build up our O- and D- lines and the rest of the team. If he doesn't, let's try to use the ammunition we'll have in next year's draft to get one of those top QB's. I personally really want Trevor Lawrence. What do y'all think?

Rick

Date: January 09, 2020 02:33AM

The draft is a educated guess at best. And taking a chance is part of that process. Dallas took a chance on the linebacker out of Notre Dame a few years ago. BUT that chance was a second round pick for an injury that was a known athletic injury. Tua's injury is more like a car wreck injury. Not taking a chance with the #5 pick or any or our first rounders.

As for Trevor Lawrence.... If we fix the O-line, DE and RB and we were competitive (ie near or in playoffs) then I would say hell yes.. trade up to get him next year.

Date: January 09, 2020 03:23AM

astro34 Wrote:
> trade up to
> get him next year.

Nice!! I love your Optimism!! We will be trading up to get him next year from a low 20s pick........tongue sticking out smiley

No more Top 10 BS for us!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 09, 2020 08:46AM

1. IMO, Miami would be foolish to trade up for Burrow. Would cost too much. 2. No to Tua at #5; his injuries concern me. 3. Pick #5 may not get Miami the guy they want/need. If that is the case, I would get a trading partner who wants to move up to get "their" guy. However, IMO, our trading partner would have to be in the top 10 draft order.
4. If Miami is dead set on drafting Tua, they (probably) won't have his services until 2021. He will sit behind Fitz and learn the pro game, along with ensuring his hip heals properly.

I read in another mock draft where Miami snags Jake Fromm in the second round. Many of us here have been poo-pooing drafting any QB in the second round; but I say look at last year's crop of drafted QBs. Allen (Bills) surprised many people. The others have done pretty well, also. I wouldn't have a problem with Miami drafting a QB in the second round.

Date: January 09, 2020 09:22AM

captkoi I agree with all of your points. I hope he is available at #5 we pick Isaiah Simmons LB/S from Clemson. All great defenses have a Great middle LB.

I still think that Cincinnati may not draft Burrows (for Young) or trade the first pick to some team for a bounty. All these media want to link Burrow there because he is a Ohio kid. HELLO , Young played for Ohio State. Why wouldn't they take the best player available and then draft a QB with first pick of second round. I really hope this happens because it would throw the draft into a mess with teams trying to go up and get Burrow. Thus leaving Miami Simmons or Okudah.

I would like to pick a QB in the second round (Hurts, Fromm) or if Herbert falls to #18. No matter what I believe that they will sit behind Fitzpatrick for a year and learn the game.

Posted by: AFCbeast ()
Date: January 11, 2020 09:01AM

Tua is damaged goods. If he sustained all those injuries in college that required "surgeries"...he is not built for the NFL period. You could have all the talent...but displaying it on IR gets us nothing. It would be another wasted high draft pick. GMHO

The senior bowl ( 1/25) will tell us a bit more where these tier 2 QB's stack up going into the combine.
For the record once again...I'm all in on Gordon.

Date: January 11, 2020 11:23AM

AFCbeast Wrote:
> Tua is damaged goods. If he sustained all those
> injuries in college that required "surgeries"...he
> is not built for the NFL period. You could have
> all the talent...but displaying it on IR gets us
> nothing. It would be another wasted high draft
> pick. GMHO
>
> The senior bowl ( 1/25) will tell us a bit more
> where these tier 2 QB's stack up going into the
> combine.
> For the record once again...I'm all in on Gordon.

I agree! Even Pat White waited to get to the NFL to get blown up.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.