HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Free agent targets
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Free agent targets
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: February 15, 2020 10:48PM

Back on topic - who would you rather have as a FA pick-up, the top-rated OG or top-rated OT?

I've previously been more in favor of OG because:
- it seems like a better position to be "glue" for the line
- the draft seems stronger @ T than G
- G has been such a weak (bleak) spot for us for so long

However, in thinking through the potential of our current resources and what's available in FA, I'm beginning to think getting a 26 yr-old Conklin may be better than a 29 yr-old Scherff (who has been my preferred elite OL FA to date).

That would allow us to move Davis, our only 2019 OL player who could be considered consistently decent, to RG, where he has experience and has played at about the same level of performance. From there, I'd like to see us add a 1st/2nd round talents at T and C in the draft.

If our 2020 OL that gels and looks like it could be a strength for years to come looks anything like this, I'll be thrilled:
- RT: Conklin
- RG: Davis
- C: Biadasz/Cushenberry
- LG: Dieter (hoping he can grow into his potential)
- LT: any of the top 5-ish OT (Willis, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton, Jones)

I won't be heartbroken if Davis is our 2020 RT and it's OG over OT in FA, but I love how the above starting 5 are young, ostensibly talented, and - though young overall - have enough veteran leadership & stability.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 10:30AM

I have also change my mind on Scherrf. I don't want to put a lot of money in a player with a injury history like his (same w/ Tua).

I would like to put Davis back to guard also but do not want to drop
big money on RT. I would actually like to have Davis come off the bench as a RG and RT. Thuney would be my big money acquisition. There are some good young tackles like Harris MN and Lucas CHI who I think are ready for starting jobs. As I mentioned last week I would trade Harris for Elflein so I would not draft a center before rnd 3.

Im still drafting a LT in rnd 1 best T/G in rnd 2 (Simpson CLEM) and another C/G later.

RT - F/A/Davis
RG - Thuney/Simpson/Davis
C - Kilgore/Elflein
LG - Deiter/Simpson
LT - 1st rnd pick/Thuney

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 04:53PM

808phan Rivers has been bad the last 2 years

Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 05:14PM

heard Dante Fowler could be high on our list

Date: February 16, 2020 08:44PM

The main difference I see in our approaches is that mine results in a younger starting OL, which carries more risk but perhaps a higher overall ceiling. Yours, I would think, would probably perform better in 2020 but would need some additional draft/young FA capital spent beyond 2020 for development as age requires turnover more quickly.

I couldn't find anything on Harris from MN, but agree that the T from CHI may be an inexpensive quality piece with a good amount of tread left on the tires in spite of his age, as he hasn't played a ton of snaps until last year.

I like Kilgore, and - at least according to PFF - he played better in 2019 than I mentally gave him credit for. Likely because he was surrounded by youth and a ton of swap-out at the guard position and it felt like a lot of pressure came from up the middle and our inside running game was so bad. It would be encouraging if Elflein were to move into a starting role sometime during the season with Kilgore being a quality reserve much like Davis in your scenario.

I could definitely get behind your proposed approach, as well.

Date: February 17, 2020 03:07AM

Sorry that should have been Hill, Rashod Hill.

Date: February 17, 2020 03:35AM

stamper,

Im believing my eyes on Kilgore not PFF stats, never trusted their stats. I respect him as a hard worker but I think we need a stronger and more mobile center. I would even consider swinging Dieter to C if our rookie and f/a Gs look good. I want a mix of youngsters and veterans on the line. Guys like Thuney, Lucas and Hill are 26-28 years old so they are not too old. Davis is 28. Kilgore the old man at 32-33(?) I am trying to replace (or upgrade and move to the bench) this year.

Date: February 17, 2020 04:00AM

thumbs up

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: February 18, 2020 08:41AM

I hear what everyone is saying about getting younger but we also need to consider a few years from now and how to pay everyone. The cowboys are in that hole right now. If we mix some young guys with a few old guys (30's) on the line then we might be able to afford the group for years to come, by replacing the older guys. I love some of the line suggestions, just got to play it smart.

Date: February 18, 2020 08:00PM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hear what everyone is saying about getting
> younger but we also need to consider a few years
> from now and how to pay everyone. The cowboys are
> in that hole right now. If we mix some young guys
> with a few old guys (30's) on the line then we
> might be able to afford the group for years to
> come, by replacing the older guys. I love some of
> the line suggestions, just got to play it smart.

Excellent excellent points.thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.