HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Free agent targets
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Free agent targets
Posted by: jlyell13 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 03:11AM

Free agent targets ?

Yannick Ngakoue
Logan Ryan
Jake Conklin
Dante Fowler
Brandon Scherff
Anthony Costanzo
Shaq Barrett
Arik Armstead
Austin Hooper
Hunter Henry
James Bradberry
Justin Simmons
Kyle Van Noy
Melvin Gordon
Breidgewater ?
Kareem Hunt

Ngakoue, Ryan and Van Noy on D and Scherff on OL with solid picks on the draft is a great step

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2020 06:59AM by jlyell13.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Free agent targets
Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 04:00AM

If we get 3 or 4 of those id be happy.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 23, 2019 10:19PM

I'd definitely like to see Scherff join our OL.

For CB, I'd like to see Byron Jones. Don't see Dallas keeping him with so many other priorities for them to sign. He has good size and has experience at both S and CB in his young career. Love the idea of 2 really good CB.

At RB, I like the idea of taking from the Chargers, but would probably actually prefer Ekeler.

Date: December 24, 2019 06:46AM

Have to be careful with free agents. It's like adapting a Alfa male dog into your already established pack. Chemistry is not always there. The puppies that have been there since the beginning have established pack. Not saying we dont get free agents but be smart. Superstars dont always fit and cost a ton. The Dolphins did really well this season getting players dying for a shot off practice squads and from Canada.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: December 24, 2019 01:23PM

Could Flores help us land Ryan and Van noy?

Ekeler would be a nice addition

Date: December 24, 2019 06:34PM

jlyell13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could Flores help us land Ryan and Van noy?
>
> Ekeler would be a nice addition

Van Noy would be sick......thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: December 25, 2019 12:14AM

Completely agree regarding being careful with FAs and how they fit vs. being individual superstars. I think that's one reason why I tend toward elite OL FA. They tend to be able to be elite at their position w/o the drama. And, this year in particular, "fit" on our OL is probably less important since I would guess at least 60% of our starting OL will be different whether by draft, trade or FA.

Date: December 25, 2019 01:09AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> Completely agree regarding being careful with FAs
> and how they fit vs. being individual superstars.
> I think that's one reason why I tend toward elite
> OL FA. They tend to be able to be elite at their
> position w/o the drama. And, this year in
> particular, "fit" on our OL is probably less
> important since I would guess at least 60% of our
> starting OL will be different whether by draft,
> trade or FA.

Yeah good point. OL dont get alot of back Pat's and celebratory praise like a RB or a reciever. OL are definitely more team players and low drama/maintenance. You only hear about them if they let s block through and a QB gets a sack.60%? I'm hoping for 100%. All we have is depth as far as I'm concerned not 1 is worth starting.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: December 25, 2019 05:04AM

Free agency will be very important for the Phins in 2020. We still have a lot of holes to fill and have more questions than answers on our roster. Some players who are giving 110% still need to be replaced. If you look at the rosters of NFL teams who have 10+ wins and going into the playoffs 'hot' all solved some major roster in free agency.

BUFF Oline and WR

PATS - DBs/LB

BAL - RB/DB/WR depth

GBAY - 2 OLB's and Safety plus Billy Turner starting at G

KC - Dline CB Safety

SAINTS - DLINE Rotation, RB depth

SEA - Guard - signed 2 problem solved

49rs - RB

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 01, 2020 09:58AM

Miami must be careful with FAs. Most importantly, the price tag. At present, Miami just needs players that are serviceable, until the young players step up and are ready to take over.

Miami has a (poor) history of paying too much for FAs, and a high percentage of them don't work out, either just not good enough or end up on IR.

Why take, for instance, a FA OLman at a high price when you could have a young OL who won't break the bank, and perform as well, if not better, than the vet?

As has been said, there is a reason a team would release a good player.

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: January 01, 2020 11:22AM

"Miami must be careful with FAs." This is gospel. Draftees have no agents, no prior NFL experience to add to their demands with respect to fellow players or the way they will be played. Anyone who would rather have a free agent over a draftee should not be left home alone by his parents.

Date: January 02, 2020 05:33AM

Guess what when the young players are serviceable and ready they will be free agents. You will have to extend, resign or watch them walk. Free agency is part of the nfl now and you have to use it. See my above post on how teams heading into the playoffs used free agents to fill critical roster needs.

Date: January 02, 2020 06:10AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Guess what when the young players are serviceable
> and ready they will be free agents. You will have
> to extend, resign or watch them walk. Free agency
> is part of the nfl now and you have to use it. See
> my above post on how teams heading into the
> playoffs used free agents to fill critical roster
> needs.

Good point. It's rare any player even spends a career on one team any more.

One of the things that really confused me is how The Pat's always moved on after losing a free agent. They always had another step up. We were just the opposite. A breeding ground for players who moved on to success elsewhere. That needs to change.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 02, 2020 08:50AM

Hopefully with both Grier and Flores being exposed to the Patriots system we will improve on the previous regimes free agency failures.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: January 02, 2020 10:22AM

Amen

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: January 03, 2020 02:02AM

We haven't been able to draft and develop an olineman in a long time unless drafted in the first round.

We need to pay for 2 stud olineman imo and draft one in the first.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: January 03, 2020 04:19AM

I totally agree!!!!!

Date: January 03, 2020 06:20AM

We have a cap of almost 100 mill. We cut Wilson and Parker we will have over 110 mil. We are going to pay a couple of players max contract. I would like Peat (G NO) and Ngakoue (DE JAX). Want Scherff but have some concern w/ is injury.

Date: January 03, 2020 06:52AM

I still would go after Joe Thuney (G New England) He is 27 and real good.

He is an observation, I was wondering if anyone else has notice this. If a player gets traded because of under performance it seems like the defensive players still suck and many of the offensive players thrive. Take Tannehill and Drake they look great. Yes we got Beigel and he is doing well. It seems to me the scheme is more important to offensive players than defensive players.

Yes defenses play 3-4 or 4-3 but most DE and OLB are basically the same type of players.

Date: January 03, 2020 07:48AM

Yeah Thuney would be a great pick. I like getting players from the same division. I would also like to sign Shelton from NE. I think scheme is more important to defensive players than offensive. QB, RB etc can adapt to different offenses. Some front 7 players are specific to 3-4 or 4-3 defense.

Date: January 03, 2020 08:14AM

I like those O-line that can play multiple positions. That is one of those under the radar things that made NE good for so long. All their O-line could play every position. So if they had an injury they had a good replacement.

Date: January 03, 2020 09:37AM

astro34 Wrote:
> I like those O-line that can play multiple
> positions. That is one of those under the radar
> things that made NE good for so long. All their
> O-line could play every position. So if they had
> an injury they had a good replacement

BINGO. You get it my friend. The Pats didnt consistently win because of superstar 1st rounders. They picked under the radar multi dimensional players capable of many things . Doing thier Jobs , these kinds of players are available all through the draft in every round.thumbs up

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 03, 2020 11:25AM

I don't want the Phins to get caught up into duplicating every little detail of the PATS. The Pats left side guard and tackle can swap positions, Thuney and Wynn. Thuney can also flip and play RT. That is a luxury to have a guard that can give you solid reps at 3 positions. Thuney can probably play all 5 spots, that is a rarity. I don't want the Phins chasing the next Thuney. Fill the 5 oline spots w/ guys that kick butt if we have to pay in free agency then pay. Fix the dang problem.

Date: January 03, 2020 12:08PM

I was just thinking the same thing about the Patriots. We can’t clone them, but I do think the things that they have done and worked we should use. Like the O-line being able to play many positions is a good idea. We should not reach or pigeon hole things, but we need flexibility. If we find a guy that only plays LT or RT if he can play I am good with that. A strong center is a great thing, he does not have to play guard. I do think the back ups should be able to play multiple positions.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: January 04, 2020 01:57PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> We have a cap of almost 100 mill. We cut Wilson
> and Parker we will have over 110 mil. We are going
> to pay a couple of players max contract. I would
> like Peat (G NO) and Ngakoue (DE JAX). Want
> Scherff but have some concern w/ is injury.

Why would Miami cut Parker....he is finally the player that Miami thought he was when he was drafted?

Date: January 04, 2020 03:17PM

Sorry should be Wilson

Date: January 05, 2020 06:01PM

New list

Kareem Hunt
Brandon Scherrf
Logan Ryan
Yannick Ngaoue or Shaq Barrett
Kyle Van Noy

Date: January 05, 2020 06:19PM

5 best FA Linemen:

1. Anthony Castonzo, LT, Indianapolis Colts

2. Bryan Bulaga, RT, Green Bay Packers

3. Jack Conklin, RT, Tennessee Titans

4. Brandon Scherff, G, Washington Redskins

5. Kelvin Beachum, RT, New York Jets

Not to Mention Derick Henry RB , but hes going to command a kings ransom especially if the Titans continue to win.

Any of those Olinemen along with a few Top draft prospects would go a long way.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: January 06, 2020 07:46AM

LT cost a lot in free agency... I would rather get two $8 million a year players then one $16 million a year player. One injury can cost you big time. So lets be smart. But if we do spend lots of money
lets get at least a great guard (Thuney or Scherff) if we get a RT to even better. Draft at least three O-line. We would be good to go at O-line.

I like the Yannick Ngaoue idea and the DB from the Cowboys. Jlyell13 i like your list.

This is still a multiyear project. I don't think that we will be superbowl challengers even with a great draft and some free agent help.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: February 11, 2020 10:48AM

Chargers and Rivers have officially parted ways. I think he has at least 4 + years left and with a good team around him he could be a pleasant surprise for a QB needy team. I don't think he'll have any problem finding a new home but with that said I believe Miami will stick with Fitz and draft a QB this year even if they intend to make him sit. Any takers here for Miami?

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.