HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua injured is out for season
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Tua injured is out for season
Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:05PM

Tua was injured today and was airlifted to Birmingham for medical treatment. From what I understand he injured his hip. Not only does this this effect Alabama but it could drastically effect the young man's future in the NFL. sad smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tua injured is out for season
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: November 16, 2019 01:10PM

Undoubtedly will.

Date: November 16, 2019 01:15PM

Dont like to see any young man hurt. This cost him alot. But I also hate to see an NFL team get burned on a #1 Prospect. He crashed and burned quicker then I thought he would.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: November 16, 2019 02:53PM

No team will be "tanking for Tua." What a shame that he was injured.sad smiley

Date: November 16, 2019 05:43PM

He will probably be a NFL QB , but not a first rounder. Will have to heal then get on and prove himself durable before anyone drops a big contract on him. Maybe we get him with so many extra low round picks.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 16, 2019 06:01PM

He will probably be a NFL QB , but not a first rounder. Will have to heal then get on and prove himself durable before anyone drops a big contract on him. Maybe we get him with so many extra low round value picks. THATS what wins championships.....

Low Risk.....HIGH VALUE like Rosen.drinking smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2019 06:02PM by TreasurecoastPhinsfan.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: November 16, 2019 09:04PM

Sad for the kid. They said dislocated hip. How do you dislocate a hip?

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: November 17, 2019 03:52PM

He also has a wall fracture...he might not ever be the same. Shame. I hope for the best for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2019 03:52PM by Ken.

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: November 18, 2019 04:55AM

I don't wish injury on any player but glad it happened now rather than in our first preseason game next year.

Good luck, kid. His work ethic will land him on an NFL roster.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: November 18, 2019 05:06AM

Let me clarify this injury. First of all I work as a Certified Athletic Trainer and have been doing this over 30 years.

Tua dislocated his hip and sustained a back wall fracture. Which means when he was tackled his knee was in the ground (could not move forward) and the forces came forward throught the hip forward. This caused the femur (thigh bone) head to go backward and popped out of its joint. This force also caused the socket where the head of the femur sits to break(ie fracture). This is a potentially career ending injury.

Now for the comparison... Bo Jackson also dislocated his hip and it was a career ending injury. The difference is that Bo actually pulled his own hip out of socket because he was so strong and it popped back into place. This caused the blood supply to the femur head to get trapped causing is bone to die and he needed a hip replacement. I never read he had an associated fracture.

The difference between the two is that Tua's injury is known because the bone never went back into place. Whereas Bo's injury popped back in and the severity of the injury was hidden.

I hope the best for the young man.

Date: November 18, 2019 05:19AM

Thanks, Astro.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: November 18, 2019 08:05AM

Isn't he still a Junior.

If, and hopefully he does, his best bet right now might be staying in school.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 18, 2019 07:49PM

Thanks for that description astro.

And, Ouch.

Date: November 18, 2019 08:34PM

Ouch. Great description for us non medical folk Astro. eye popping smiley

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 19, 2019 01:14PM

My grandson injured his hip his senior year of high school (he was a Qcool smiley. Regrettably, he was never able to play football again.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: November 20, 2019 07:27AM

Since the start of 2018 Tua has had these injuries:

Broken pinky finger - surgery

Knee Injury - sprain

Both Ankles - high ankle sprains - surgery

Hip dislocation

That is a whole lot of injuries and a lot of surgeries in a short amount of time. He plays behind a good offensive line. Imagine how many injuries he would have behind an average or bad offensive line.

Date: November 20, 2019 09:39AM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since the start of 2018 Tua has had these
> injuries:
>
> Broken pinky finger - surgery
>
> Knee Injury - sprain
>
> Both Ankles - high ankle sprains - surgery
>
> Hip dislocation
>
> That is a whole lot of injuries and a lot of
> surgeries in a short amount of time. He plays
> behind a good offensive line. Imagine how many
> injuries he would have behind an average or bad
> offensive line.

Exactly. Titanium pins placed in both ankles. I dont wish the kid bad, but speaking from a Dolphins fan perspective......I knew he wouldn't make it through a season.

This is actually great news for Dolphins fans. It's like buying a car and having it breakdown on the test drive before it left the lot. Time to move on to the dealer down the block.

I wish him well. Hope he puts his college education to good use.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 20, 2019 09:14PM

I just wish that he will be able to live a pain free normal life without football, which I am pretty sure is off the table now.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: November 23, 2019 10:53PM

I'll probably take a lot of heat for this, but my guess is we still draft him.

Reasons:
- the early news on prognosis for recovery from this specific injury seem fairly positive
- we have a ton of draft capital to do what we want and his price probably just went down significantly. I don't think teams view him as a top 5 pick any more.
- I don't know this for a fact, but as I scan the high 1st rounders over the past 5 years, I would guess that Tua was a better prospect than anyone, if only by a bit over some of them. I have definitely heard that if he were to have come out last year, he would have been the pick over Murray. Meanwhile the most successful QBs seem not to be the highest picks in their respective years and seem to have had various pre-draft reasons why they weren't (thinking Watson, Mahomes, Prescott, Brees, Rodgers, Brady).
- the top QB prospects this year, outside of Burrows, don't seem to be making a case for themselves to be a top 5 pick.
- there's some decent history (McGahee, Jaylon Smith, even Jeffery Simmons) of teams drafting seriously (even gruesomely) injured players relatively high (but obviously not as high as they would have been) and seeing their investment pay off.
- The Phins have specifically been on the wrong end of one of the worst "he's too much of a re-injury risk" deals in the history of the NFL. (Brees, in case I need to spell it out smiling smiley)
- Cleveland might be the best case study for what we're doing, and they passed up on Wentz & Watson, likely regrettably (tho I do think Mayfield is better than his current performance)
- there's potentially an opportunity to be patient even after drafting him to enable longer healing time and some invaluable learning time (a la Mahomes)...it could take some "savior" pressure off him
- his injuries - though significant - haven't impacted his arm, brain or heart (i.e. will to win)

I'll revise my earlier "plenty of football to be played" statement to "lots of time yet to pass" between now and the draft. And, I'll openly admit that for most every reason above, there's a legitimate rebuttal. My guess is that there will be an element of "bet hedging" that there might not have been before (maybe we draft him and Jalen Hurts, for example...or pick up someone like Bridgewater).

Finally, I'll say I'm not even sure I know how I feel about the idea of us still picking him. This was more an attempt to look into the crystal ball than to make a case one way or the other.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2019 11:05PM by tsstamper.

Date: November 24, 2019 04:21AM

I think he is done. If he gets hurt in college which is a slower pace game, imagine in the nfl.

Date: November 24, 2019 04:24AM

But i would not mind if we gave him a shot in the 5th or 6th round. Nothing higher than that.

But you just know there is going to be a crasy team thats going to give him a shot at a higher round.

Date: November 24, 2019 04:57AM

Teams are Privy to Medicals records and probably have their own teams Doctors evaluate him. After a professional evaluation including medical if we can get him at a great Value why not? The whole draft is a gamble. The trick is to get the best value for you pick. Thats why so many good teams never pick higher then 20-25 and stay successful.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: November 24, 2019 08:06AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But i would not mind if we gave him a shot in the
> 5th or 6th round. Nothing higher than that.
>
>

I agree with that strategy 100%. But I also think there's no way someone else doesn't take him earlier than that.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: November 25, 2019 11:33AM

If I were the GM, I would take a chance on him with our 2nd first round draft pick.

No way would I take him with our first.

As has been said, it is very possible he will return to Alabama because of these injuries. He needs to prove he is ready to go in the NFL.

But, as has also been said, some team will take a chance on him if he does enter the upcoming draft.

Even if he looks OK, health wise, I still would not take him with our first.

Date: November 25, 2019 12:35PM

Cap said it all. And like I said above even if it doesn't work out football wise, I just hope he lives out a normal pain free life.

Posted by: Rgphin ()
Date: November 27, 2019 08:47AM

Like many others say iam also glad it happened before we drafted him.

I wish him best though iam not happy about his injury.

But we caught a break. We could had draftrd him and after we drafted him he could had gotten injured like RG3.

Maybe the gods were looking down on us this time.

Imagine after investing so much money on a player and then he is done with football.

And it happens to the best of them.

I wish him the best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.