HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Dolphins v. Steelers, MNF game thread
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Dolphins v. Steelers, MNF game thread
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: October 29, 2019 10:19AM

QB pick 1, Rosen as the guy going into camp, Ruddock number 3, QB battle ensues. Fitz cut, and BPA every pick we have where we didn’t add decent/upgrade FA players.

We simply have too many holes all over the roster.

Rookie QB shouldn’t play season 1 period unless he clearly beats out Rosen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: October 29, 2019 11:30AM

808phan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bummer that Howard is injured again. They ought to
> just put him on IR and save him until next year.
> It isn't even worth having him on the field at
> anything less than 100% risking even more injury
> as this season is already down the toilet.
>
> It sucked I wasn't able to watch the game. Win or
> lose this is my team. Nice to know there are some
> fellow die hard fans on this board who still stick
> around when times are tough.

Howard put on IR today. Totally agree with the move. He needs to heal that knee completely and there's no reason to risk further injury on this lost season. Hopefully they'll activate Tankersley so we can see if he's salvageable.

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 30, 2019 01:42AM

I wasn't able to watch the game live, but watched a condensed version on youtube that included all plays. A few things stood out to me:

1. even though we're starting a lot of players that wouldn't start for a good NFL team, our secondary was getting hands on a lot of passes even if they didn't turn into interceptions. The TD pass was well-contested, and several other passes defensed could have easily been picked off. I give the coaching & system a lot of credit for putting players in the right position and look forward to when we have a higher level of secondary talent back on the field. Limiting my enthusiasm here is the fact that it was Mason Rudolph throwing the rock, not Pat Mahomes...but being in position to make plays is a major step toward making them, no matter who's throwing against you.

2. Corresponding to #1, I don't think it's the defensive scheme or design that is at fault for 2nd half let-downs. I think it's that we are essentially starting backups in so many places and then backing them up with players who otherwise wouldn't be in the league in so many cases. It's probably natural, therefore, that choosing between overplaying starters with diminishing returns vs. cycling in backups results in poorer performance as the game goes on. The exception is that it seems like we're simply missing the massive "clog the line" NT. I'd love to see the impact of having a Wilfork-like NT on both run D and pass rush (meaning how it would potentially free up pass rushers to a greater degree).

3. Execution mistakes - dropped passes that turn into interceptions, fumbles, other dropped passes. These things kept us from adding to our lead and put our D back on the field too often. Not expecting complete elimination of all mistakes, but too many dumb mistakes are virtually impossible to overcome no matter the talent or the coaching.

4. Though I like a lot of what coaching has seemingly done through 7 games (and I'd argue they're still working on full implementation...it's like the first 1/2 of the season has somewhat been an extended preseason), I don't like the aggressive defensive play call on 3rd & 20 at the MIA 45 with 26 seconds left in the half. If it was the end of the game where we were up by 3 or less and and all-out blitz might take them out of field-goal range, I could see that being the right context for such a play call. But, given the context, it seems that the right call would have been to limit yardage on 3rd down and force a long FG try on 4th down. Will be interesting to see what is called in the future in similar circumstances.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.