HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Building the Team - Defense
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Building the Team - Defense
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 18, 2019 11:51PM

Not sure why I chose this point to study this aspect of how we might build the defense if we're, in large part, following the Patriot way. Maybe because the trade deadline is coming and the rest of the season doesn't give much opportunity to change the roster, outside of waiver wire and churning the bottom of the roster (which is a good thing).

Anyway, I wanted to look at some elements of how the Pats' defensive roster is constructed to potentially inform how we might follow that blueprint. I took starters from their official depth chart on their website, which admittedly ignores that depth is a huge key to success, I believe. $$$ = 2019 cap hit

Defensive Line (3)
- Originations: 7th round/diff team, 1st round/diff team, 4th round/diff team
- $$$ - 4.5 mill, 1 mill, 1.7 mill TOTAL = $7.2 million

Linebackers (4)
- Originations: 2nd round/Pats (returned from CLE), 1st round/Pats, 6th round/Pats, 2nd round/diff team
- $$$ - 3 mill, 11 mill, 2 mill, 6.3 mill TOTAL = $20.3 million

Defensive Backs
- Originations: 1st round/diff team, 6th round/diff team, 2nd round/Pats (returned from PHI), 1st round/Pats
- $$$ - 9.2 mill, 4.3 mill, 4.5 mill, 13.4 mill TOTAL = $31.4 million

Some things that pop out:
- overall, they dedicate just $59 million to defensive starters (tough to swallow knowing that we have basically the same amount in dead money as they do in defensive starters in 2019)
- They seem to build from back to front, in general, in terms of both spending $$ and draft capital...and, in terms of team tenure. Chung & McCourtey have been part of that backfield for so long, I'm sure they're pseudo-coaches on the field.
- Specifically, they seem to really value exceptional CBs and are willing to spend $$$ and 1st round picks
- one man's trash is another man's treasure - they continually seem to be able to squeeze maximum value out of players acquired from other teams for much less than what the Pats value received. I think this comes from them simply knowing so well whether a player will fit their system or not.
- two starters left and came back after leaving to go to different teams...likely for less $$

To me, a lot of these things should be pretty encouraging for the Phins. I'm hugely intrigued that the Pats currently have the top-rated overall defense so far this year, and have seemingly dedicated so relatively few resources. Flores spent a lot of time serving on that team and has been able to work with some great minds. I think this is why Flores and even Ross tried to get Minkah to stay, and we extended Howard. While there would have been a lot of reasons not to do it, I could have understood if they had strongly pursued Jalen Ramsey. One specific thing I could see being a priority acquisition (though shouldn't take a ton of resources) is a massive, run-stuffing, blocker-swallowing NT that they seem to typically have and we haven't for quite some time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building the Team - Defense
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 19, 2019 07:39AM

I am a bit disappointed at the way Flores lost Fitzpatrick. I did not agree with Flores' immediately trying to install the 'Patriot way' of trying guys out at different positions. While this works with a veteran well established defense like the Pats the situation in Miami was different. New team, new players learning a new defense. A lot of confusion in the heads of second year players. I can see a young guy like Fitzpatrick wanting to focus and hone his skills at a primary position. Flores never gave the guy a dedicated position. A recent article showed the improvements in stats of the Steeler's defense since the arrival of Fitz. The numbers are impressive. The player I think that should change positions is Harris. Move him to ILB. He was a hard and sure tackler at Mizzou, good technique. Plus w/ his speed he can be a good inside blitzer. He just is not working out on the outside. Put him inside, he has a frame like Donte Hightower. What does Flores have to lose?

Date: October 19, 2019 07:46AM

Agree with both of those points. Genuinely didn't like losing Minkah. Was glad they tried to get him to stay, don't like that he didn't want to.

Harris - yeah, at this point nothing to lose outside of him taking snaps that could be used to develop someone else. I wasn't aware of the similarities in measurables with Hightower.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 21, 2019 07:01PM

If Minkah was playing out of position with the Pats I seriously doubt if he'd open his mouth to complain. With that said the established dominance Belichick has as a HC for them, respect is automatically given. Everyone there knows he has a very low tolerance level for anything other than team players who are totally all in no matter what the situation.

Posted by: toko34 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 08:01AM

Flores knows this team is a wash, he's just testing what he has for next season...I like this strategy.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 09:06AM

In the next 2 years there will be around 25 new faces on this here team. Maybe more.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: October 22, 2019 09:16AM

But some of the current players will be usefull as backups..

We are getting better as the season progresses.

Players such as TE gesicky, LB baker, and yes WR Devante parker will benefit from better talent around them. We need to build around these players.

1. With a new Star QB.
2. At least 2 new OLinemen....Maybe 3......we might have found the future center......against the bills....I think he is like 23 years old. Relatively young.
3.A star wr.....then parker will become a force as a second option
4.Another star LB on the outside and baker will be even better with more help.
5. and a couple of Dends that can really rush the passer. We have taco chrlton already and he is good...But we need another on the other side that can dominate.

Easier said than done.

But it possible.

Date: October 22, 2019 09:36PM

We are getting better as the season progresses - this has been a huge focus area for me since the coaching regime and approach change that happened at the conclusion of last season. I knew we wouldn't be good...but I wanted to see improvement. Frankly, I didn't really care if it led to wins this year, necessarily...but wanted to see that the coaching staff could take whatever talent they were given and simply have them "get better as the season progresses".

Sam hit on some potential moves on the offensive side, and I'll likely try to do some similar analysis for that side of the ball as I did with defense, as it helped potentially clarify some things for me.

On defense - and certainly the right players have to be available - I still think there may be a play for another upper-eschelon CB at some point.

Regarding the timing of impact of the roster overhaul, I happen to think it can happen more quickly than at least some of the reporters are talking about (Hyde, I think, has referenced 4-5 yrs and Xavien Howard wasting his entire playing prime awaiting the Phins to get good). It doesn't happen often, and it seems to take the right QB/coach combo, but Carroll & Wilson in Seattle were in the playoffs Wilson's rookie season, won a SB in his 2nd yr, and have only missed the playoffs once since he was drafted. They did an incredibly good job of drafting and acquiring players like Lynch that perfectly fit what they were trying to build as a team. Goff & Rams, Wentz & Philly are more recent and less proven examples of how things can change relatively quickly for a team if the right things happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.