HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Flip the script?
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Flip the script?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 16, 2019 10:25PM

Disclaimer - I'm not recommending this move...just putting it out for consideration.

Jalen Ramsey wants out of JAX. He's young, proven, elite talent at one of the core foundational positions. It's likely a bit of a "buyer's market", which seems to be the case when a team needs to unload a player who doesn't want to be there...and it doesn't help JAX that they're 2019 and 2020 cap situation is reflective of collecting high-priced FA's and having young talent approaching 2nd contracts.

Reasons to potentially do it (beyond above notes re: elite talent and potentially buyer's market):
- the NE way appears to put a premium on secondary players, especially elite corners. I think the theory is if you can take out primary targets, the impact to the opposing offense is so disruptive that system front 7 players + system can pressure the QB and contain a running game. Imaging X and Jalen locking down the opposition's top 2 receivers.
- while timing may be different than anticipated, if he could be had, for example, with the PIT 1st rounder (which I think is low-ball & unlikely...but things like AB being acquired by the Raiders for a 3rd & 5th happen in situations of disgruntled players), I think just about anyone would say that swapping out Minkah for Jalen would be a steal
- interestingly, it's being reported that he is mindful of the impact of working in a state with no state income tax
- we will have plenty of cap room, and my hope would be that there would be a plan to utilize it, in part, on acquisition of elite young players at positions of maximum impact. Let's face it, we don't have a ton of young talent that will need significant 2nd contracts on the team (at least it appears this way currently). NOTE: this isn't a recommendation to spend wildly/carelessly in FA.

Reasons not to:
- pretty sure our team culture isn't yet ready to tolerate and/or rehab a high-maintenance personality. NE has been able to do it for years because of their established, mature culture...we're miles from there, so would need to understand how high-maintenance he really is.
- while Jalen's issues seem to be conflict with coach over utilization, and likely just personal conflict, would he even want to endure the rebuild? Would he relish the challenge, see the big picture and see how he helps accelerate it? Or would he see it more like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire?
- the window might not align well enough. I actually think it does align well. He is 24 yrs old. Christian Wilkins is 23. I think there is significant overlap between the window we seem to be aiming for and his window of prime play

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flip the script?
Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: September 17, 2019 01:10PM

tsstamper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Disclaimer - I'm not recommending this move...just
> putting it out for consideration.
>
> Jalen Ramsey wants out of JAX. He's young,
> proven, elite talent at one of the core
> foundational positions. It's likely a bit of a
> "buyer's market", which seems to be the case when
> a team needs to unload a player who doesn't want
> to be there...and it doesn't help JAX that they're
> 2019 and 2020 cap situation is reflective of
> collecting high-priced FA's and having young
> talent approaching 2nd contracts.
>
> Reasons to potentially do it (beyond above notes
> re: elite talent and potentially buyer's market):
> - the NE way appears to put a premium on
> secondary players, especially elite corners. I
> think the theory is if you can take out primary
> targets, the impact to the opposing offense is so
> disruptive that system front 7 players + system
> can pressure the QB and contain a running game.
> Imaging X and Jalen locking down the opposition's
> top 2 receivers.
> - while timing may be different than anticipated,
> if he could be had, for example, with the PIT 1st
> rounder (which I think is low-ball &
> unlikely...but things like AB being acquired by
> the Raiders for a 3rd & 5th happen in situations
> of disgruntled players), I think just about anyone
> would say that swapping out Minkah for Jalen would
> be a steal
> - interestingly, it's being reported that he is
> mindful of the impact of working in a state with
> no state income tax
> - we will have plenty of cap room, and my hope
> would be that there would be a plan to utilize it,
> in part, on acquisition of elite young players at
> positions of maximum impact. Let's face it, we
> don't have a ton of young talent that will need
> significant 2nd contracts on the team (at least it
> appears this way currently). NOTE: this isn't a
> recommendation to spend wildly/carelessly in FA.
>
> Reasons not to:
> - pretty sure our team culture isn't yet ready to
> tolerate and/or rehab a high-maintenance
> personality. NE has been able to do it for years
> because of their established, mature
> culture...we're miles from there, so would need to
> understand how high-maintenance he really is.
> - while Jalen's issues seem to be conflict with
> coach over utilization, and likely just personal
> conflict, would he even want to endure the
> rebuild? Would he relish the challenge, see the
> big picture and see how he helps accelerate it? Or
> would he see it more like jumping out of the
> frying pan and into the fire?
> - the window might not align well enough. I
> actually think it does align well. He is 24 yrs
> old. Christian Wilkins is 23. I think there is
> significant overlap between the window we seem to
> be aiming for and his window of prime play

As good as Jalen is, (1) He's a problem child...he wants out of Jax because of something Morone did or said (2) cost too much for Miami (3) highly doubtful he would want to go to Miami....I'm sure he would rather go to a team that is a contender and not one where there is a major rebuild.

I'm sure that Jax would want a first round pick for him, along with other picks and/or players.

Re: Flip the script?
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: September 18, 2019 01:21AM

I think you're right about (1) & (3)...and about what JAX would want for him.

If the team evaluates (1) and says "we can't or won't deal with this problem child", then cost is irrelevant.

If Jalen is set on going to an immediate contender, then, again, cost is irrelevant. (i.e. that better be something the Phins understand about him prior to any potential trade)

But, if the above 2 come out positive (unlikely, but entertaining the possibility), I like to think "next best alternative". Tough to do when you don't have a great feel for what JAX would want, but if it's, say, a 1st (but not the #1 overall), a 3rd and Parker or Ryan Fitz (just throwing a couple names out there...we have so few names left on the team that I even know), what do I think the likelihood is that that combo of picks/players = Jalen? At this point, if I'm Grier, I probably just wait to see whether/how a market for him materializes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.