HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Tua
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Tua
Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: October 25, 2019 09:58PM

For me - and the BIG disclaimer is that there is a LOT of football left to be played - it feels like a lot of overthinking (certainly not just on this board) regarding Tua. It honestly reminds me of 2005 and Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers is basically the consensus #1 all offseason, then SF basically talks themselves into Smith primarily because of a feeling that he will be more coachable than Rodgers and because Tedford's QBs hadn't translated well to the NFL. Both legitimate concerns on some level, but, in hindsight, both probably having been given more relative credence by SF than they should have been. Smith wasn't a bad pick, but unequivocally not the right pick between the 2.

I like a ton of things about Tua:
- "it" factor
- leadership with humility
- smarts
- accuracy & timing
- arm (I'd rather have the kind of arm that can put the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there than a cannon)
- sustained success at the highest level from late in Freshman year

At this point, I don't hold against him things that really are beyond his control. He's throwing to a trio of 1st round receivers. He didn't recruit them and it's his job to put the ball in their hands in stride. I do want to see him post-injury and how he plays the 2nd half of the season, of course.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 27, 2019 10:11PM

This seems to be the overall Opinion in the NFL:

Tua Tagovailoa, the Alabama touchdown pass machine, is not considered the top talent for the 2020 draft and it’s not even close. The most talented and most likely franchise defining player is Ohio State edge rusher Chase Young.

Not Tua.

Not LSU quarterback Joe Burrow.

Because that would mean the Dolphins will be going against practically every draft board in the NFL, which will likely have Young as the premier talent and prospect. And that would mean the Dolphins will be overdrafting a quarterback.

So do the Miami Dolphins pass on the consensus most talented player on the board in favor of the best quarterback on their board? There’s the dilemma.

Whichever direction the Dolphins choose is fraught with uncertainty. Because if they pick Young and he’s awesome, Miami will likely not have accomplished the mission of drafting the best quarterback in the draft.

And if they pick the quarterback who is admittedly the inferior prospect and Young turns out to be the better player as his pre-draft status will suggest, there’s going to be a very unhappy fan base in South Florida.

That leads to this: There are reasons NFL teams don’t tank like the Dolphins have done in 2020. One significant reason is it requires ownership, the personnel department and the coaching staff to be in lock step in the understanding that there is a quarterback of immutable, amazing talent that must be the target of the tanking.

Andrew Luck in 2012, for example.

The 2020 NFL draft doesn’t necessarily have that quarterback. The draft does have an immutable, amazing talent. It’s Chase Young. But he doesn’t play quarterback.

And that could be problematic for the Miami Dolphins.

Very interesting opinion. Doesnt help that Tua is currently recovering from his second ankle surgery.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 27, 2019 11:30PM

I actually preferred it when the league was one where individual players like Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, etc. could seemingly have just as much impact on creating sustained success as QBs. It may be that I have a tendency to aggrandize the past, but it felt like there was more opportunity for creativity in building a team...and the games pitted one creative, proven approach against another, though both were dramatically different. Now, it feels like it's more of a contest of who can find the winning QB and then build the best around them. The 2018 playoffs featured a lot of relatively low-scoring, close games - so defense is important - but the list of teams that made the playoffs were basically a "who's who among teams with a QB". Lamar Jackson and Mitch Trubisky were newbies to that arena and both sort of the exceptions (and both had 1-and-done exits). While I don't prefer that this is the current state of the union, I acknowledge that's where we are currently with the NFL.

That said, when I first read that article, I initially thought "it's a good thing when there are multiple elite prospects at the top of a draft and you hold the top pick (which we might)" That's where value is potentially created. I feel like the 2020 draft is shaping up more like 1989 or 2004 where there are multiple great opportunities in the top 1/2 of the draft than, say, 2014, where Clowney is consensus generational defensive talent and Bortles is #3 overall because of the intersection of a QB-starved league and it just not being a great year for QBs coming out of college.

Who knows, maybe we truly desire to draft Tua...end up with the #1 overall pick and can somehow squeeze some additional value out of it because of the other elite - and possibly more elite - prospects around him (not saying it's likely, but possible). Depending upon the PIT pick, it may come down to comparing what you like better - a combo of Tua and not the best defensive prospect...or Chase and a QB not named Tua. That said, if it looks like Tua is the next Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson and Chase is the next Derrick Thomas, the way the league is today, I go Tua.

Lots of football left to be played, but this season with the green shoots of progress we're seeing and upcoming offseason are certainly intriguing to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2019 11:32PM by tsstamper.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: October 28, 2019 04:18AM

A lot of evaluation and decisions to be made by the front office between now and next April. QB at #1 or Young at #1 and best qb available with our second #1 who knows. DE's can be bust too we should know that with our experiences w/ Jordan and Harris.

Posted by: astro34 ()
Date: October 28, 2019 04:59AM

First of all I think we all can agree we can use many players at most positions. QB, DE, OL (all positions) WR, CB/S

I look at the draft like this. If you have a player that is by far the #1 player at that position (ie Chase Young) or players that are 1a and 1B at their postion (the QBs) then if you can draft the #1 guy then get the 1B guy that makes more sense then grabbing Tua just for the sake of all the "tank for Tua" talk.

It is like when everyone wanted Reggie Bush and Houston drafted Mario Williams first. I think they could have traded the #1 pick to the #2 team and collected more assets and still got their man.
Even if Houston just get another second rounder or maybe two third rounders they were free draft choices.

I do not advocate trading down just for the sake of trading, we have to be smart. Far to many people just read the articles and choose the guy making all headlines.

We have the luxury of 3 first round draft choices. We need to map our who we want with possible scenarios and get the best value with our choices.

Date: October 28, 2019 06:23AM

astro34 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> We have the luxury of 3 first round draft choices.
> We need to map our who we want with possible
> scenarios and get the best value with our choices.

Yeah I think this is what will happen.

Date: October 28, 2019 07:25AM

tsstamper Wrote:
> I actually preferred it when the league was one
> where individual players like Reggie White,
> Lawrence Taylor, Bruce Smith, Deion Sanders, Barry
> Sanders, etc. could seemingly have just as much
> impact on creating sustained success as QBs. It
> may be that I have a tendency to aggrandize the
> past, but it felt like there was more opportunity
> for creativity in building a team...and the games
> pitted one creative, proven approach against
> another, though both were dramatically different.
> Now, it feels like it's more of a contest of who
> can find the winning QB and then build the best
> around them. The 2018 playoffs featured a lot of
> relatively low-scoring, close games - so defense
> is important - but the list of teams that made the
> playoffs were basically a "who's who among teams
> with a QB". Lamar Jackson and Mitch Trubisky were
> newbies to that arena and both sort of the
> exceptions (and both had 1-and-done exits). While
> I don't prefer that this is the current state of
> the union, I acknowledge that's where we are
> currently with the NFL.
>
> That said, when I first read that article, I
> initially thought "it's a good thing when there
> are multiple elite prospects at the top of a draft
> and you hold the top pick (which we might)"
> That's where value is potentially created. I feel
> like the 2020 draft is shaping up more like 1989
> or 2004 where there are multiple great
> opportunities in the top 1/2 of the draft than,
> say, 2014, where Clowney is consensus generational
> defensive talent and Bortles is #3 overall because
> of the intersection of a QB-starved league and it
> just not being a great year for QBs coming out of
> college.
>
> Who knows, maybe we truly desire to draft
> Tua...end up with the #1 overall pick and can
> somehow squeeze some additional value out of it
> because of the other elite - and possibly more
> elite - prospects around him (not saying it's
> likely, but possible). Depending upon the PIT
> pick, it may come down to comparing what you like
> better - a combo of Tua and not the best defensive
> prospect...or Chase and a QB not named Tua. That
> said, if it looks like Tua is the next Steve
> Young, Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson and Chase
> is the next Derrick Thomas, the way the league is
> today, I go Tua.
>
> Lots of football left to be played, but this
> season with the green shoots of progress we're
> seeing and upcoming offseason are certainly
> intriguing to me.

YES. That is so true Tsstamper!I've always preferred the defensive side of the ball. Zach Thomas is by far my favorite Miami Dolphin. But rules have changed that help QBs and penalizes defenses. So true. Great defensive players cant really affect the game like it used too.
A great pass rusher like Chase is not something to build a team around. Not in this NFL.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: October 28, 2019 09:36AM

Man...Zach needs to be in the HoF ASAP. Truly a travesty that he's not already.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: October 28, 2019 01:24PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> astro34 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > We have the luxury of 3 first round draft
> choices.
> > We need to map our who we want with possible
> > scenarios and get the best value with our
> choices.
>
> Yeah I think this is what will happen.

I just hope Grier doesn't end up drafting 3 first round busts.

Posted by: captkoi ()
Date: October 31, 2019 01:13PM

I've asked this before, but is Tua worth that number one pick? He went down with that ankle injury, but his replacement killed the team they were playing (sorry, can't remember who they played).

I'm not really sold on Tua, but this guy from LSU (Barrows) is turning some heads.

Date: October 31, 2019 06:29PM

captkoi Wrote:
> I've asked this before, but is Tua worth that
> number one pick? He went down with that ankle
> injury, but his replacement killed the team they
> were playing (sorry, can't remember who they
> played).
>
> I'm not really sold on Tua, but this guy from LSU
> (Barrows) is turning some heads.

Its early yet.....but Experts say any #1 over all pick on him is an overdraft. He might even just stay in College his last year. Then again he gets hurt again he will miss out on what little money he could have gotten.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: November 01, 2019 06:38AM

captkoi Wrote:
> I've asked this before, but is Tua worth that
> number one pick? He went down with that ankle
> injury, but his replacement killed the team they
> were playing (sorry, can't remember who they
> played).
>
> I'm not really sold on Tua, but this guy from LSU
> (Barrows) is turning some heads.

Tua is worth the #1 pick, Burrow might be. Right now I give Tua the edge. Yeah his backup beat Arkansas but it was Arkansas. The spread offenses colleges are running nowadays make so many qbs look great. I think Tua's arm transcends the spread to the pros.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: November 01, 2019 07:16AM

I look at it this way. Grier and Ross obviously set up the team to lose and acquire the #1 overall pick. I say it that way because I think the coaches and players are trying to win but you can only do so much when your roster is severely over-matched. I don't believe that Ross and Grier basically threw away the season to draft an edge rusher no matter how good he is. Grier sold this "tank" to Ross by telling him that it would result in the next franchise quarterback who would lead the team for the next decade and more. Going into the season, most felt that Tua was the best signal caller who'd be available in the draft. Burrow has played well, but has been more of a one year wonder and that I think will worry potential GMs. Not enough to not draft him, but first overall? If Tua looks to be healthy and playing at a high level, right or wrong, I think he'll be the pick (and yes I think Miami will have the #1 overall pick).

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.