HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Andrew Luck to announce retirement (?)
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Andrew Luck to announce retirement (?)
Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 24, 2019 04:41PM

Just read this on the crawl at the bottom of the TV screen while watching baseball.

If true, kind of a shame that this guy didn't get a ring. Seemed like a decent guy with talent that worked hard.

Also kind of a shame was the whole Suck for Luck phenomenon. Which a lot of people repeat every year with (insert name of hyped college QB here).

This is a big reason why I will never be in favor of tanking a season or losing even one game on purpose for a damn draft pick (we do a good job of that anyway lately). Try to win the game you're playing, I say. Any team that sets a goal to lose, will be a team of losers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andrew Luck to announce retirement (?)
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 24, 2019 05:28PM

Here is a silly article being thankful we never drafted Andrew Luck.

phinphanatic.com miami-dolphins-got-lucky-not-drafting-andrew-luck-retiring

You have to put in the wwws and the backslashes yoursef otherwise the message will be blanked out.

It's silly because the guy we drafted, Tannehill, we have now traded away and looking objectively over Luck's career, I'd hardly say he bombed out.

In other words, with hindsight, there is no question, I would trade Luck's past in the pros for Tannehill's.

Date: August 24, 2019 05:39PM

Yeah that is silly to say Luck shouldn't have been drafted by us if we had the chance. After all, with a different team, different coach, different supporting staff etc, it may well have worked for him.

I'm just not in favor of giving away an entire season for the opportunity.

So if you could go back in time, you'd trade Luck as a Dolphin for having Tannehill here. and we'd have been better off as a team, okay I can see that point.

BUT, would you go back and tank the prior season, losing every game on purpose in order to get Luck, only for him to spend his entire career as a Dolphin and NOT bring home the ring?

(yeah major double hypothetical by me going on here....just killing time before the regular season starts!)

Date: August 24, 2019 06:44PM

He was very talented. Just goes to show, no matter who you draft , you need to put your QB in a position to succeed. Best of "LUCK" to him.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 24, 2019 08:13PM

Yeah, it takes an entire team. QB can't make it alone and a team can't make it without a QB.

Date: August 25, 2019 05:19AM

He's not too old, I wonder if he rests up (the guy has multiple injuries) stays in shape for a year or two, will he want to make a comeback later on.

Date: August 25, 2019 05:28AM

And by the way what is up with the Indy fans booing Luck off the field?

Granted he should have made sure that the news didn't break until after the game was over. In other words, don't tell anyone until then.

That's the thing I expect to see from fans in say, New York, and to a lesser degree, Miami. I can picture Jets fans doing this and unfortunately, I've seen Griese and Marino get booed enough to imagine this happening in Miami. But INDIANAPOLIS? I thought mid-westerners were nice folks?!

Date: August 25, 2019 07:14AM

They (Indy front office) had a Legacy like Dan Marino with Peyton Manning. Indy just walked over it and cleaned thier shoes on his back like a welcome mat when they Parted ways with him and sucked for Luck.

Manning delivered another Championship with a killer Oline and Indy got nothing but an Injury plagued QB and zero success.

Indy fans are pissed. Good for them. No loyalty has its consequences.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 25, 2019 11:45AM

JC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And by the way what is up with the Indy fans
> booing Luck off the field?
>
RESPONSE: Did the news of his retirement break before the game?

Date: August 25, 2019 12:12PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> JC Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > And by the way what is up with the Indy fans
> > booing Luck off the field?
> >
> RESPONSE: Did the news of his retirement break
> before the game?

It broke *during* the game, from what I read.

And with insta-snap-face on everyone's cell phone, it didn't take long for everyone in the stadium to find out.

Date: August 25, 2019 01:31PM

I went back and googled it. The Colts treated Peyton rather shabbily following when they got Luck.

No need to shed any tears for them (the Colts) now receiving "psychic pay back."

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 25, 2019 01:42PM

Watch the colts suck for tua now. We cant buy a break

Posted by: jsm08 ()
Date: August 25, 2019 11:46PM

Luck quit on his team 2 weeks before the start of what looked to be a promising season.

I'd boo him too. These players are so out of touch with reality.

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: August 26, 2019 02:26AM

Luck is still young. I give him credit for prioritizing his health over money. Good for him, I wish him well.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 26, 2019 03:08AM

Players are in touch with reality more so now than they have ever been. Health, family leave are more important to them than what fickle fans what from them. Luck has balls I applaud him. Fans don't have to deal with the broken bones, pain and mental health issues. If a guy wants to play until his mid thirties and deal with that crap fine. If a guy like Luck says screw it Im out of here at 30, fine by me. We will continue to see guys step away from the game when they feel they have had enough. Screw the owners, punk *** coaches who most have never made it as a nfl player and the fan who gives more of a **** about them slamming their heads into each other than their personal well being.

Luck made his choice took the money and left. I hope he enjoys time with his grand children 20-30 years from now instead of being in some derelict state of mind.

Date: August 26, 2019 04:04AM

The reality is they have a skill set that allows them to make millions playing a stupid game. They know the risks. They're well documented these days.

I find nothing courageous in getting a huge contract then bailing on his teammates 2 weeks before the season because it's too hard and not fun anymore.

My generation calls that self centered. We've gone soft as a society.

You know what's courageous? Treasure putting his life on the line every day he clocks in. He's not making millions yet society makes them out to be villains because of a few bad apples. Yet Luck is a hero for bailing on his team because when the going got tough, he quit.

Date: August 26, 2019 05:46AM

And I'm not trying to single you out, mizz. Just venting.

And no. I didn't draft him in fantasy football!

Date: August 26, 2019 09:17AM

Wow. jsm08......thank you for that on behalf of all the decent Leo's out there.thumbs up

I agree.......2 weeks before the season starts , He put his team in a bad spot.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 26, 2019 11:12AM

Wow, Luck's retirement notification hit the Colts below the belt it appears. I can understand fans booing him for that reason, but not because the guy isn't tough enough or doesn't want to endure more pain. There comes a time when a guy has to say "I'm done." This may have been Luck's time. I don't think he is an Urban Meyer personality and will rest a year and then seek a big contract with a different team that is a solid contender. Luck has made big bucks and should be able to live well and find a less punishing career. He's a young guy with a bright horizon in front of him.

Date: August 26, 2019 12:15PM

you have every right JSM08 as does Luck as does a cop that decides he has had enough and hands in his badge. Every American has the right to say I have had enough w/ my current position and resign and move on to something else.

You take a look at Luck's injury list. How many everyday people has gone thru that? This is f-ing America where people are free to make choices. This guy made a choice that is best for him and his family. I don't have a problem with that. Yes it takes some courage to do that and not give a sh** about what millions of fans think.

Im old school but I understand that in some ways this new generation has learned some wisdom from the old. Some of these guys don't want to walks around with pudding for brains in 20 years or living in the streets. Then fans will pi** on them calling them bums and idiots and squanders of money. Fans are not around to help these guys eat, wal or wipe their **** after the retire and dementia sets in (for those that suffer). I wish Luck a prosperous and healhy future and many happy coherent days with his grandkids.

I f-ing applaud him

Date: August 26, 2019 04:49PM

mizzou15 Wrote:
>
>
> Luck made his choice took the money and left.

Yet, he would have taken more money had he hung around with his injury then gotten put on IR later in the season--according to what I just read on ESPN.

He gets zero salary for this season by leaving now, I thought.

And by him leaving now, he gives his team two weeks to look at the waiver wire to bring someone else into the fold.

Date: August 26, 2019 05:55PM

He knew his injuries history last April. His body didnt really endure any more punishment. He just woke up and said enough. But he must have been thinking about it for a while now. He should have sat down in April and decided No Bueno. He screwed his organization and fans waiting practically to opening day. Terrible.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 26, 2019 07:33PM

You hit it on the head, JC. I don't see him as being selfish in any respect.

I see him making an intelligent decision that was not only the best for his team but for himself and his family.

I don't think you can force him into one of two boxes so as to condemn him for not making the choice either earlier or later.

He made the decision when his mind and his body made it for him.

LOL. Had he made it earlier, maybe the Colts snatch Rosen from the Cardinals. Where would WE be then?

Oh, I forgot, Treasure would have no problem with that because then we would still have Tannehill.

Date: August 27, 2019 03:34AM

How many players have the nfl screwed over? How many former players have kidney disease, dementia and other ailments. How many players get cut the week before opening day. Hell players get cut before opening day. That is just business idiot fans will say. Well for Luck its just business.

Did I say I f-ing applaud this guy

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: August 27, 2019 07:23AM

I am okay with him doing it for himself but the way he did it is the problem. The Colts have invested close to $100 million in him and 2 weeks before the season starts he retires.

The cut players you speak of don't make multi millions and they are also not the face of their franchises. Most of the players that are cut and can play at a high level are signed by other teams. It is a business and I wish him the best...

But applaud? Why? He didn't cure cancer with this decision. He is no hero. He is an athlete who is looking out for his health. Good luck in your future endeavours Mr. Luck.

Date: August 27, 2019 09:32AM

To each his own we all choose the performance we applaud.

Date: August 27, 2019 11:09AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> How many players have the nfl screwed over? How
> many former players have kidney disease, dementia
> and other ailments. How many players get cut the
> week before opening day. Hell players get cut
> before opening day. That is just business idiot
> fans will say. Well for Luck its just business.
>
> Did I say I f-ing applaud this guy

How would you feel if Marino did this in late August 2000? Did you applaud Ricky Williams after we spent 2 1st rounders on him only for him to quit? At least Ricky did it in the off season......

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 27, 2019 12:20PM

Speculation.

I f-ing applaud this guy

Date: August 27, 2019 12:36PM

It depends on how you define the off season. I really consider the season to start in the first week of September and end when your team is not in the playoff hunt.

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: August 28, 2019 12:53AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> To each his own we all choose the performance we
> applaud.

Very true mizz. I was just curious as to why he should be applauded. I would not have been one of the fans out there booing him but I also wouldn't be applauding him. His decision. Nothing special about it.

Doesn't take courage or make him a hero. He has made close to $100 mil from the Colts. He will be fine no matter what decision he made.

I know a lot of these guys do a lot of good during the offseason with charity and such. I am sure Luck will still be involved in that. That is something to applaud. Him retiring 2 weeks before the season actually starts and making it even harder on the team the invested in him. That is the issue and should not be applauded.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.