HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Thoughts on the second preseason game against the Bucs
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Thoughts on the second preseason game against the Bucs
Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2019 10:34PM

1 Preston Williams looks to have talent, but he's inconsistent. Personally, I think that the media put too much pressure on his shoulders. The kid's an undrafted free agent, after all. I still think he's made this team.
2. Isiah Prince looked better to me than PFF said he was. I watched him closely, and he looked good as a pass blocker and better as a run blocker. He didn't give up any sacks, and the only bad block that I saw was a clean miss on a second-level linebacker, and we still got 3 yards on the play.
Speaking of the O-line, If we traded for a veteran RT and moved Jesse Davis back to his best position, RG, along with Daniel Kilgore at C, Dieter at LG and Tunsil at LT, I think we might have something. As it was, the line looked OK. Nothing more.
3. Charles Harris proved to me that he does have some idea what a DE is supposed to do- he had 1 1/2 sacks- against the starters, no less!
Jerome Baker has put on a little weight, but he hasn't lost any speed, and looks to be another good pass-rushing option. He had his hands on the QB three times, but he wiffed on two of the tackles. He is a very good linebacker, but he needs to work on his tackling.
Other guys that looked good in this game were a DB named Lammons (around the ball all night, fumble recovery), Christian Wilkins (he's a load in the middle!), RB Patrick Laird (seems to be beating out all three other prospects), and Sam Equavoen looks to unseat one of the LB starters, probably in the middle. Jake Rudock again showed up. I suppose other guys looked at least OK, but these were the ones I noticed. Sam, be prepared to be depressed, I can see at least 3 wins, and maybe as many as 5.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts on the second preseason game against the Bucs
Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 03:10AM

I think Williams is the real deal. He will get better with familiarity.

OL - I agree I think for this Oline to be successful Davis has to play at RG. Tunsil-Dieter-Kilgor-Davis-Mills is the line. You want more out of Mills but he is serviceable. He is not the fastest RT but when he gets in front of you he is hard to get around. Wish he got out of his stance faster but you gotta know he just does not. He played a good game against JJ Watt last year. We are in trouble if he has to play LT.

The young guys struggled but I can understand that. Bowles thru a lot at them and that was a good thing. It will show up on tape for discussion. Smith, Dieter, Calhoun and Price did some things that I liked. Dieter and Smith had trouble with picking up assignments when Bowles stacked the left side. Bad communication again this should be pointed out and corrected.

Young guys have talent but they are not ready (including Dieter) we are in trouble if we lose 1-2 linemen. I mean 2-14 trouble. We need to watch the wires for another veteran, too much green on the oline.

Overall this team is young and there is some talent. I like Flores, still not happy with the oline situation (what 3/4 years and we are still flipping Davis between G/T). Putting that on the front office.

If everything falls in place, oline gels, Rosen is for real, no injuries, defense brings pain and suffering I can see 9-7. Worst 3-13.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 04:02AM

This is a young team. They will mature together and get better together.

Still 3 or 4 years away from been a contender. Maybe more.

2 position need to be addressed in the draft next year. QB and OL.

And Oline need to be addressed often next year.

Next year is our chance to improve this oline which has been a weakness for a while.

Not sure but i know we have at least 10 picks in next years draft.

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 04:54AM

I agree all around Sam 'cept Im cutting a year off from that contention max. We should be contending in year 3.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 09:14AM

The O line is the clear weak link on this team. Tunsel is the only guy that I have any confidence in. Dieter and Calhoun might develop but it'll be down the road. The rest of the line stinks. Will Holden is possibly the worst tackle I've seen in a very long time. If he has to play, whoever plays QB is going to get pummeled. I'd cut him today. Kilgore is stop gap at best. Okay but not the long term answer at center. Grier needs to be studying other rosters and pounce on some players when the final cuts come around. It's going to be hard to evaluate QB play if the O line is giving the whoever is behind center no time to set and throw. That said, Rosen looks a tick better to me than Fitzpatrick plus he might be a long term answer at QB wherein Fitz isn't.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 19, 2019 03:41PM

I agree that the O-line is the worst part of the team. I think, to have a shot at being good, we need Jesse Davis to play RG. I can't say that I like Mills at RT at all though. I hope we can get a player to bolster that position. Will Holden is worse. If he started on the Cardinals' line last year, that gives me an idea just how bad that group must have been. Kilgore IS only a stopgap, but at least he's a serviceable stopgap.
I think that if some of the young guys mature this year, and we get a low draft position and we have least 10 picks in the draft next year, then we should see an influx of talent that will allow us to contend in 3 years.
I'm not sold on Rosen yet, and I think Fitzpatrick will start the season, but take a look at Baldinger's analysis of Rosen's play Friday night. He continues to show flashes.
I admit it. After listening to Dan Orlovsky's breakdown of the QB's in last year's draft on Peter King's podcast, I was disappointed that the Cards jumped in front of us and took Rosen. There was no guarantee that we would have taken Rosen, but I was still disappointed. I'm glad we have him now, but he has to prove that he's THE GUY - if he doesn't we can always still pick a highly-rated QB next year.

Rick

Date: August 19, 2019 06:52PM

Dropped passes , Missed tackles. If they just fixed the easy stuff , the fundamentals we would improve dramatically.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: August 20, 2019 03:14AM

I think the team will gel and come together around the 5-6 game. The last half of the season (barring injuries) we will be a force to be reckoned with.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: August 20, 2019 09:11AM

I liked Laird. Multi-faceted.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 10:08AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I liked Laird. Multi-faceted.

Agree, Colonel. I hope that he makes the team because if not, I could see New England signing him and making him a huge headache to defend.

Date: August 20, 2019 10:55AM

colonel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I liked Laird. Multi-faceted.

Yes! Another GOOD FIND!!

We just need some Oline depth to keep guys like Laird in a position to be successful.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.