HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Expansion of Black out rule
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Expansion of Black out rule
Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: August 16, 2019 04:20PM

I just heard about it today when I had pre programmed the Pre season game on the NFL Network on my DirecTV. When the game was supposed to be replayed on my TV, I got the "sorry, the game has been Blacked out message."

I called DirecTV to ask "WTF"???

They explained that not only has the black out rule been extended to PRE-SEASONS but ALSO it now applies NATIONWIDE!!!!

That means if you are a Dolfan in Seattle and the game is being played in Miami and the stadium is not sold out.....THE GAME IS BLACKED OUT NATIONWIDE!!!! Even PRE season games!

This is insane but it demonstrates clearly that this nation has been converted into a totally FOR PROFIT environment.

So unless the Dolphins sell out in Miami....they are Blacked out even in Anchorage Alaska!!!!

Think about that and think about the things you support.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Expansion of Black out rule
Posted by: JC ()
Date: August 16, 2019 05:42PM

Sounds ridiculous to me, but I'm not surprised that they are chasing profits.

The strangest part to me is that I believe they'd make MORE profit if they televised the game, at least it other markets. Millions of people would see it who do not have the option of attending in person. Those people would see all the advertisements, which gives the league more profit. So I don't get that part of it.

Date: August 16, 2019 10:13PM

Yeah, JC, it's insane when you give it just surface attention but even more insane when you probe deeper like you did in your post.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: August 17, 2019 05:57AM

pathetic.

Date: August 17, 2019 05:58AM

and stupid. I dont know when was the last time a dolphins pre season game was sold out.

Date: August 17, 2019 07:28PM

Middle class and working people are struggling to keep their jobs, income and health insurance and the rich just keep getting richer and giving a mental middle finger to the suffering of everyone ELSE who is NOT rich.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2019 09:43PM

Totally ridiculous, as well as being UNTRUE. I don't know who you talked to, but go back and talk to somebody else who knows what they are talking about. It may be that their re-broadcast station is within 65 miles ( same as its ALWAYS been) of the stadium and it is therefore blacked out to them, or something, but I live about 75 miles from the stadium and it wasn't blacked out in our area. Here, the games are never blacked out or even on a delayed broadcast. So, I don't know what their problem would be.

Rick

Date: August 18, 2019 10:31PM

DirectV, Rick the troll.

The same people to whom I pay a monthly fee to bring in all my tv programming and to whom I have paid an extra fee during the football season to see out of area games for about the last twelve years to twenty years or so.

Forgive me if I trust their word or the word of a troll like you.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: August 18, 2019 10:38PM

Sure, why not, what do I care. It's your money. However - does it make sense that a game played on the East coast is blacked out on the West coast?

Rick

Date: August 19, 2019 10:45AM

No, which is precisely why I created this thread....to show how crazy and out of control and FOR PROFIT this country has become.

But from the standpoint of out of control, screw the public, screw the consumer, care nothing but for profits businesses, 45, that number the poster on this board Trasher loves so much, it ain't right but it shore does follow.

Date: August 19, 2019 06:49PM

I know for a fact.......the Dolphins always contacted my city and invited LEO's and thier families for reduced rates.

Starting shortly after Kapperdick all Leo's in Florida have boycotted the games as a group. Kenny Stills insists on being a disrespectful prick so our Union has continued the Boycott. My Dept. Alone was always a good 400 people and 6-8 busses. It was a fun day with a barbque before the game.

Add to that 20-30 other cities......and you have thousands that Kenny Stills is still costing the team. And will continue as long as he does. Definitely would have fixed the black out.

FU Kenny!! I seriously pray for you to blow out a knee.

Go Miami!!

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Posted by: Grimey13 ()
Date: August 20, 2019 12:57AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, which is precisely why I created this
> thread....to show how crazy and out of control and
> FOR PROFIT this country has become.
>
> But from the standpoint of out of control, screw
> the public, screw the consumer, care nothing but
> for profits businesses, 45, that number the poster
> on this board Trasher loves so much, it ain't
> right but it shore does follow.

You must live a miserable life my friend. Always about the past for you and 45 lives in your head constantly.

Maybe if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to go to a game with your family and have fun they would have more fans in the stands. Pretty sure the prices have been insane well before "45".

You think the average person cares what or how a football player thinks. Keep the politics out of the sport.

Date: August 20, 2019 11:56AM

Grimey, be educated before you talk.

Most posters on this board KNOW THAT I live in Southern California, not in Southern Florida. So, it would take a trans continental flight to see Dolphin games unless they played a road game in Los Angeles or Carson.

As far as your keeping politics out of sport comment, the "45" connection of that poster number with politics was not STARTED by me, I was only responding.

So when you interject yourself into a fight, be sure you have your facts straight or that you even have your facts at all, which you do NOT EVEN seem to have.

Date: August 21, 2019 12:55AM

Trust me I know where you live. You bring it up in every post. My point was that most people who have the ability to go to a game would rather watch at home or a bar since it is so expensive. But keep twisting words around to try and help your rational.

Who posted anything in this post about "45" before you did? You are the most delusional person I have ever heard in my life.

I think you need to move back "home" and get out of California my man. Come back to the real world.

Date: August 21, 2019 10:18AM

Chyrene your ruining every thread. The season is about to start. Please stop.

GO DOLPHINS!!!!

Date: August 21, 2019 10:27AM

And treasurecoast you look like an upset cop....telling everybody what to do.

Why dont you let the moderators do that thank you.

Must i school you every single time!!!!!!!!

Date: August 21, 2019 10:58AM

So, if you know where I live, why did you keep bringing up the local area and whether someone locally would travel to the game, Grimey?????

And MY point Grimey, was that they are extending the blackout rule to cover even the other side of the continent, not just places where it is not even reasonable...wait...not only that but they are extending it to places where not IT IS NOT EVEN LOGICAL to expect that televising would DECREASE the size of the gate.

Why don't you read JC's post following the original post????? You must lead a sad life, if you probably did not graduate from high school because you failed reading comprehension.

As for as bringing up the 45, Trasher brought it up in another threat while complimenting another poster who has that number in his posting name when that poster disagreed with me and HE, Trasher, first made the connection to politics.

Date: August 22, 2019 12:53AM

Okay I guess I need to break it down for you. If "local" people don't go to the game because they would rather save money, then the game would not be sold out. Hence the reason for the blackout.

Why take your family to a game when it would cost well over a few hundred dollars when you can sit in a bar or at home and enjoy the experience just as much.

I am with you and do not agree that it should be blacked out. They would make more money not blacking it out. When the price is so astronomical you can't expect people to show.

Going back and reading your 45 comment, I understand (now that you explained about some other thread that I did not see) what you were saying but it was a slight dig. I did not see this other "threat" as you put it. We all make mistakes but you are the exception to that rule.

Date: August 22, 2019 11:19AM

Grimey13 Wrote:
> Okay I guess I need to break it down for you. If
> "local" people don't go to the game because they
> would rather save money, then the game would not
> be sold out. Hence the reason for the blackout.

RESPONSE: Hence the reason for the LOCAL BLACKOUT of the game but NOT A REASON FOR BLACKING IT OUT NATIONWIDE!

>
>
> Why take your family to a game when it would cost
> well over a few hundred dollars when you can sit
> in a bar or at home and enjoy the experience just
> as much.

RESPONSE: As stated above, I do not argue with the local blackout.

>
> I am with you and do not agree that it should be
> blacked out. They would make more money not
> blacking it out. When the price is so
> astronomical you can't expect people to show.

RESPONSE: And I don't disagree with the choice of local fans NOT to attend the game based on prices or other factors.

>
> Going back and reading your 45 comment, I
> understand (now that you explained about some
> other thread that I did not see) what you were
> saying but it was a slight dig. I did not see
> this other "threat" as you put it. We all make
> mistakes but you are the exception to that rule.

RESPONSE: TYPO..."threat" was meant to be "thread".

Date: August 23, 2019 12:45AM

I thought that if the game was a local blackout it would be blacked out nation wide as well. Is my assumption incorrect? If so then my argument was worthless. haha

Just hard to get fans to the games when the price of everything is so ridiculous. I don't understand how some people do it 8 games a year. I love football but love having money to do things with my family more. No one else in my family cares about football.

I know you meant thread I just had to call you out on something...Haha...

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 23, 2019 06:00AM

Grimey13 Wrote:
> I thought that if the game was a local blackout it
> would be blacked out nation wide as well. Is my
> assumption incorrect? If so then my argument was
> worthless. haha
>
> Just hard to get fans to the games when the price
> of everything is so ridiculous. I don't
> understand how some people do it 8 games a year.
> I love football but love having money to do things
> with my family more. No one else in my family
> cares about football.
>
> I know you meant thread I just had to call you out
> on something...Haha...

RE: My son and I have two season tickets right above the tunnel where the Phins come onto the field. We spend $750.00 a piece for them and we spend around $50.00 each, each game on drinks and the traditional Shula Burger. So all in, we spend around $150.00 each game, only slightly more than taking a family of 5 to a restaurant if meals, appetizers, desserts and drinks are factored in. I do realize some people will spend more, a few much more. My only gripe with the NFL and its blackout rules is that if you pay for the Sunday Ticket package the games are still subject to blackout. Thereby wasting money for a service I don't get a refund for in the event I can't watch it through no fault of my own.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: August 23, 2019 06:18AM

According to what I just read, the NFL suspended its blackout rules for this season...amid pressure to end them from the FCC and politicians. I guess we will see.

Date: August 23, 2019 08:21AM

That is good news Ken. Sucks to pay for something and not actually get to use it.

$150 a game for you and your son to have a good time is not bad at all. You keep it very reasonable.

Few games in the NFL so I understand that the tickets will always cost more than your average MLB, NBA or NHL ticket. The concessions are just crazy though.

The owners have to be able to afford the contracts these guys are making now a days right?

Date: August 23, 2019 11:29AM

Grimey13 Wrote:
> I thought that if the game was a local blackout it
> would be blacked out nation wide as well. Is my
> assumption incorrect? If so then my argument was
> worthless. haha

RESPONSE: No. The reason that the blackout rule was created way back when was to keep games from being televised in the LOCAL market where the game was being played. It was felt that televising the game would reduce attendance at the local stadiums. As such, since I have lived in the LA area, regardless of my DirecTV Sunday ticket, when the Dolphins came to L.A. to play the Raiders (who were here after they left Oakland and before they went back), the Rams (who were here BEFORE they left for St. Louis) and the Chargers (who came up here from San Diego), I COULD NOT get these games on my Sunday Ticket because they were blacked out.

That policy was nationwide. This was why I was perplexed when I turned on a pre season game being played in Florida and saw the message "this game is blacked out in your area."

When I called DirecTV, I was told that the black out rule now applies nationwide. That is totally crazy because you can't expect that televising a game in Seattle is going to reduce stadium attendance in Tampa.

And like JC points out, you'd think that the advertisers, whose products are sold nationwide, would oppose reducing the number of markets that there products which they are paying for on that broadcast, will be seen.
>
> Just hard to get fans to the games when the price
> of everything is so ridiculous. I don't
> understand how some people do it 8 games a year.
> I love football but love having money to do things
> with my family more. No one else in my family
> cares about football.

RESPONSE: And the price of the stadium ticket is probably more of a dampener on stadium attendance than home televising although it's one thing feeds on the other kinda thing.

>
> I know you meant thread I just had to call you out
> on something...Haha...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.