HISTORY
  Team History
  1972 Tribute

-- Advertisement --
Privacy Policy at Phins.com

Phins.com Phorums
    News Wire | Roster | Depth Chart | Last/Next Game | Schedule | Links  
          Gase - Jets Coach, GM, VP Player Personnel
Miami Dolphins Civilized Discussion :  Phins.com Phorums The fastest message board... ever.
This is a moderated phorum for the CIVILIZED discussion of the Miami Dolphins. In this phorum, there are rules and moderators to make sure you abide by the rules. The moderators for this phorum are JC and Colonel
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gase - Jets Coach, GM, VP Player Personnel
Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:33AM

Gase running EVERY aspect of the Jets, Head Coach, GM, VP Player Personnel. What can go wrong????

He hasn't coached a game yet, but I like Flores 1,000,000 times better than Gase.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gase - Jets Coach, GM, VP Player Personnel
Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 07:36AM

I love it. As bad as Gase's play-calling was, his biggest weakness was player evaluation. The jets are going to rue the day they put Gase in charge of the roster. Gase is loony enough to sign Osweiler and have him start over Darnold. The clown show is now officially in New York (or New Jersey I guess).

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: May 15, 2019 10:22AM

Wow

Posted by: mizzou15 ()
Date: May 15, 2019 12:49PM

Wow Jets are stupid. Maccagnan was the best thing going for them imo. Im glad Gase is there to screw things up. I was fearing their front office was just getting things right w/ their roster. Next up, Gase start trashing 'Maccagnan's players like Mobley and Bell.

Date: May 15, 2019 01:16PM

Watching sports center. He did not like the contracts that were given CJ Mobley and Bell!! OK knowing that will make them want to play hard for him. Next he will start leaking detrimental news to the press on those 2. He is going to lose respect real soon in that locker room.

Gase is a first class Jerk.

Posted by: SCPhinsFan ()
Date: May 15, 2019 02:38PM

Bell and Gase wont last a full season together

Posted by: tsstamper ()
Date: May 16, 2019 01:30AM

"Watching sports center. He did not like the contracts that were given CJ Mobley and Bell!! OK knowing that will make them want to play hard for him. Next he will start leaking detrimental news to the press on those 2. He is going to lose respect real soon in that locker room.

Gase is a first class Jerk."

Man, so true. Take the most talented players on your team...publicly shame them with "I don't think you're worth the money you got"...hope that they play their butts off for you during the season. What could go wrong?

Posted by: 808phan ()
Date: May 16, 2019 07:57AM

It's going to be really interesting to see how he manages the continuity of his football team. I was pretty shocked when I read an article covering his promotion. I'm glad he's an opponent in our division because I think he got lost with our team.

He didn't do anything to impress me whatsoever, especially at the end of his tenure here before he got canned. I just can't figure out what the Jets see in him, in fact I was really surprised when they hired him to begin with.

Posted by: Fins72 ()
Date: May 16, 2019 08:00AM

Based upon Gase's tenure here, if a player doesn't kiss his ass, he'll be in the doghouse. I don't see Bell kissing Gase's ass so I'm guessing there's going to be some friction. Giving Gase final say on the roster is a HUGE mistake. The Miami roster became progressively worse each year of Gase's tenure here. Certainly having a bozo like Tannenbaum didn't help either, but Gase was responsible for a good bit of the dysfunction and dubious personnel decisions himself.

Posted by: colonel ()
Date: May 18, 2019 07:05AM

As I've stated several times in the past, Gase is not a leader. He lacks all those character traits needed to energize and motivate people. His approach as head coach is a distinct failure IMO. The Jets will perform miserably this season because of the chaos he brings to the table. He is unsuitable for any HC position. The Jets organization is in turmoil and Gase simply adds fuel to that turmoil.

We can't expect much from the Dolphins this season; yet, I surmise, the Jets may be a true cellar dweller in 2019.

Posted by: JC ()
Date: May 18, 2019 10:28AM

The only logical explanation (not that there needs to be one), is that this is part of an elaborate Tanking strategy by the Jets.

Posted by: Ken ()
Date: May 18, 2019 04:19PM

Four hours into him being the GM he already got rid of a player...Darrin Lee.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2019 04:24PM by Ken.

Date: May 19, 2019 08:00AM

Gase is so paranoid on peripheral issues so that he does not give 100% focus on what's really important. Also get the impression he has an insecurity complex with players. Since he did not play college ball he is really 'not one of them'. He attempts to be 'a players coach' but when he does not get the feel goody response that he wants from a player things get sour. I really think that's what happened with guys like Parker and Jones and surprisingly why they are still on the roster. Some guys just see thru him and there is not much there to respect. Yeah really, you made Peyton Manning a better qb? Yep standing next to Saban when u were a water boy in college made you a great coach. BS only goes so far w/ some of these guys.

Glad as heck he is gone and we have a guy that so far appears to command respect.

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 19, 2019 08:42AM

The jets can tank all they want.....I dont mind if they pick number one overall...Since they do not need a qb.

BUT THEN AGAIN YOU NEVER KNOW> It be sweet for them to make our phin lives miserable.

Posted by: pafinfan ()
Date: May 19, 2019 10:49AM

samsam3738 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The jets can tank all they want.....I dont mind if
> they pick number one overall...Since they do not
> need a qb.
>
>
> BUT THEN AGAIN YOU NEVER KNOW> It be sweet for
> them to make our phin lives miserable.

Can't agree with it being sweet.
Besides, even when Miami was good, couldn't the Jets still always cause Miami pain?

Posted by: ChyrenB ()
Date: May 19, 2019 11:00AM

I think he means it will be sweet TO them to cause US pain.

Date: May 19, 2019 02:36PM

I had two big grievances with Gase. I remember the days...yes in the 70's, Treasure.... when we ran plays up the middle and the announcer would yell "CSONKA THE BULL!!!"

We didn't have that again until Jay Ajayi ran up the middle and I would say, "Ajayi the Bull."

However, for some reason, Gase got into some type of little snit with him and played him less and traded him.

Grievance number 2. On the other hand, the GENUINE A$$hole on the team was Kenny Stills. I have long complained about a play late in the game a few seasons ago when we were trying to come back late in the fourth quarter.

The ball was thrown to Stills who was caught it at about the opponent's 35 yard line. The defender stopped him there and held Kenny with his chest to Kenny's back. Then another Dolphin approached quickly and held his hands out and yelled for Stills to just back lateral the ball to that Dolphin.

Stills, the A hole, rather than give the ball to another Dolphin who would score the touchdown, selfishly refused to do so and the defender either took him to the ground or the ref blew the whistle for forward progress stopped.

So for Gase to basically tell Ajayi to get lost and keep an A hole like Stills on the team....well....

Posted by: samsam3738 ()
Date: May 20, 2019 04:02AM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I think he means it will be sweet TO them to cause
> US pain.

Exactly.

Posted by: dolphan4545 ()
Date: June 08, 2019 10:03AM

On your #1: I don't remember EVER hearing Rick Weaver call Csonka a "bull" (he used "bull" as a verb), but thats neither here nor there- Ajayi played a position that NFL offenses don't use much anymore (in my opinion, a mistake that I hope Flores will correct this year with our 7th rd. draft choice), but his big problem was that he was looking to break the big one on every play instead of taking what the defense was giving him. On days when he got the big opportunities, he looked all-world, but there were too many days that he had really poor numbers.

#2- I see your point of view, but that was ONE play, and lateraling the ball is a risky undertaking in the best of circumstances. I don't recall the play, but its possible, even probable, that Stills wasn't comfortable with the situation and so didn't want to take the chance. A turnover kills any chance of a comeback. It sounds as if you have other reasons to dislike Stills.

Rick

Date: June 08, 2019 08:15PM

Nope.

Date: June 08, 2019 09:56PM

And I don't know who you are talking about when you refer to Rick Weaver. I'm in California so the announcers I am referring to who yelled out "Csonka the Bull!" were national announcers.

Secondly, your analysis of Ajayi. I don't think Ajayi was trying to do anything but play to his instincts and that was to, (just like a bull), go straight ahead and knock down anything in his path.

As for as the Stills play, there was no chance at all of anyone else besides the Dolphin yelling at him recovering the ball had Stills lateralled it.

Stills simply did not want anyone else getting credit for making a touchdown that Stills felt that he had the first right to claim.

The A hole!

Posted by: JC ()
Date: June 09, 2019 12:01PM

Rick Weaver was the "Voice of the Dolphins" on the Miami Dolphins Radio Network (which understandably, must not have affiliates in California).

He called the games on the Radio for a good 20 years. Listened to him many, many times as a kid on my handheld transistor radio. Even when games were televised, sometimes the TV commentators were so bad it was better to turn down the audio on the TV and listen to 610 WIOD and turn down the volume on the TV set.

Date: June 09, 2019 01:25PM

As I suspected, JC.

Date: June 09, 2019 03:49PM

And what Ajayi did is so like this generation.

My 60's generation was looked down on by my WWII parents generation but these kids today, whew!

The great injustice is that my parents did not have this generation to yell at instead of my generation which was only trying to keep people from getting killed in a silly war in Vietnam.

You guys don't even want to fight against terrorists who are killing innocent people.

Well, let's not get political......................

Posted by: Doctor Feelgood ()
Date: June 23, 2019 03:18PM

Stills an asshole? LOL... just about *everything* you hear about Still suggests the exact opposite - that he is one of the nicest guys on the team.

Date: June 24, 2019 02:08AM

Doctor Feelgood Wrote:
> Stills an asshole? LOL... just about *everything*
> you hear about Still suggests the exact opposite -
> that he is one of the nicest guys on the team.

and one of the hardest workers.

Date: June 24, 2019 07:22AM

mizzou15 Wrote:
> Doctor Feelgood Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Stills an asshole? LOL... just about
> *everything*
> > you hear about Still suggests the exact opposite
> -
> > that he is one of the nicest guys on the team.
>
>
> and one of the hardest workers.

AND one of the strongest advocates for the local kids- he was last year's Dolphins' nominee for "NFL Man of the Year". He spends a LOT of his time out in the community. He's VERY popular around here.

Rick

Date: June 24, 2019 09:48AM

Good stuff Rick. You just don't know the whole story about these guys. About 12 years ago the Raven's had 2 player's one was the face of the team. TV commercials, always interviewed after the game etc. the 2nd a WR everyone thought was a big jerk. I had a buddy at the time with the Ravens and I mentioned how the WR was a big ahole. He said let me tell you something when the PR folks come around with assignments nobody wants that guy grabs them. He does not like publicity. The less publicity the better for him that's how he rolls. He acts like an ahole so the reporters will stay away from him. That other guy always wants to know how many reporters and cameras are going to be there. If there is not enough cameras for him he is not taking the assignment.

That is when I learned to stop judging these guys by what I read in the papers and see on tv.

Date: June 24, 2019 01:20PM

I'm not in a position to read Miami newspapers, I can just react to what I see on National TV.

No way in a play like that that the Network announcers or even game day analyzers would say, "Why didn't he just pitch the ball back??" that's not Kosher as they say in New York.

Maybe Stills really was afraid of a lost possession if he pitched the ball back it would result in a fumble but from my angle, there would have been no way that someone behind the second Dolphin could have scooped him on the ball and that other Dolphin certainly was begging for the ball.

So to me the only thing that explains his refusal was his not wanting the other Dolphin to get all the glory for the touchdown. If Stills laterals the ball, the play continues and when it results in a touchdown, the guy who crosses the goal gets all the glory. If Stills doesn't and is tackled there on the spot, he is the only one who gets credit for yardage, of course, besides the QB.

Date: June 27, 2019 07:42PM

ChyrenB Wrote:
> I'm not in a position to read Miami newspapers, I
> can just react to what I see on National TV.
>
> No way in a play like that that the Network
> announcers or even game day analyzers would say,
> "Why didn't he just pitch the ball back??" that's
> not Kosher as they say in New York.

You didn't really say this, did you?
>
> Maybe Stills really was afraid of a lost
> possession if he pitched the ball back it would
> result in a fumble but from my angle, there would
> have been no way that someone behind the second
> Dolphin could have scooped him on the ball and
> that other Dolphin certainly was begging for the
> ball.
>
> So to me the only thing that explains his refusal
> was his not wanting the other Dolphin to get all
> the glory for the touchdown. If Stills laterals
> the ball, the play continues and when it results
> in a touchdown, the guy who crosses the goal gets
> all the glory. If Stills doesn't and is tackled
> there on the spot, he is the only one who gets
> credit for yardage, of course, besides the QB.

We in SoFla have an engaged local news, as well as many ex-players that still have close ties to the team, and who do much for the community. All seem to agree on Stills' "can-do" attitude. Most work closely with him on community projects, and while some don't like his responses to the national anthem at all, all uniformly admire his dedication to the people of this area. Don't believe the your lowest common denominator in this case, a little research will tell the tale.

Rick

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.

Home Curt Fennell
Contact Us
DOLFAN in New England

© Phins.com. No portion of this site may be reproduced without
the express permission of the author, Curt Fennell. All rights reserved.